PDA

View Full Version : Luxilon Big Banger Rough Vs. Big Banger Spin

drgreenthumb
08-12-2009, 08:11 PM
I have been using the ALU power Rough and non-rough for 3 yrs and reels are about to run out. After shopping around for deals, I came accross the big banger "'spin" version and thought it was a typo. After reading the description, I realized it is a newer string on their Big Banger line-up.

Id like to get your opinion on what your experience was with the "spin" as compared to rough.

is it softer or stiffer? are you getting more bite than the rough version?

any thoughts and insights will be apreciated. Thanks in advance.

Lefty78
08-13-2009, 05:21 AM
ALU Power Spin is the same thing as ALU Power, but the string is shaped as a pentagon instead of being round. Similar playability, slightly more spin.

THESEXPISTOL
08-13-2009, 05:25 AM
I don't use it as it is expensive but i love it (rough).
But a friend of mine that uses complains that spin goes deader faster than the regular.
But he's not a very trustful source of information when the subject is tennis.

drgreenthumb
08-13-2009, 07:07 PM
I called TW today and talked to a rep that had used both. He told me he didnt feel a difference on the bite from ALU power rough vs. non-rough version. however, he saw a huge difference on bite/spin between alu power non-rough vs. alu power spin.

"you can totally feel the string bite the ball!" he added.

I'll buy a set first before I make the jump the the full reel.

thanks everyone.

drgreenthumb
08-16-2009, 06:09 PM
bump. need more opinion

davidahenry
08-17-2009, 04:34 AM
I have never tried Spin, so I cannot comment on it.

I play with a full bed of Rough and absolutely love it. The spin and action I get on the ball with it are amazing.

I have also played with Alu (normal) on a few occasions, and it is phenomenal as well. I do notice a difference in spin between Rough and Alu (normal) - with Rough providing more spin. The difference is slight, but it exists. Therefore since they are the same price, I prefer Rough.

From a design perspective, Spin is a "shaped" string. Rough is a normal round string that has textured "rough" patches every few millimeters.

Take care.

DH

drgreenthumb
08-17-2009, 09:18 PM
I have never tried Spin, so I cannot comment on it.

I play with a full bed of Rough and absolutely love it. The spin and action I get on the ball with it are amazing.

I have also played with Alu (normal) on a few occasions, and it is phenomenal as well. I do notice a difference in spin between Rough and Alu (normal) - with Rough providing more spin. The difference is slight, but it exists. Therefore since they are the same price, I prefer Rough.

From a design perspective, Spin is a "shaped" string. Rough is a normal round string that has textured "rough" patches every few millimeters.

Take care.

DH

Thanks Dave.

my other problem is that Im generating the same spin with BB original, Alu power rough and non-rough version.

I gotta try the spin if its just hype or the hexagonal shaped string really has more bite. My set should be here by this weekend. Gotta try a set before "investing" on a reel (~$80 more than rough-now thats rough on my wallet!)

Lefty78
08-18-2009, 07:06 AM
my other problem is that Im generating the same spin with BB original, Alu power rough and non-rough version.

If that's the case, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

davidahenry
08-18-2009, 06:56 PM
Thanks Dave.

I gotta try the spin if its just hype or the hexagonal shaped string really has more bite. My set should be here by this weekend. Gotta try a set before "investing" on a reel (~$80 more than rough-now thats rough on my wallet!)

Let us know what you think. I'm curious to know how it works for you - especially in comparison to all the other Lux strings you've already tried.

If you like it better than Rough, maybe I'll give it a try. (Ok, probably not - as I am a Rough addict.)

Take care.

DH