PDA

View Full Version : ashaway monogut

abenguyen
08-12-2009, 09:37 PM
is it me or does it just play extremely dead? even after 6-7 hours of hitting with it, I have no feel whatsoever. its in a hybrid with wilson hollow core in the crosses at 56lbs. i mean seriously? i've never had a string play so dead?

scotus
08-12-2009, 09:45 PM
I used to play Monogut crossed with PSDG a long time ago, and I thought it had decent feel to it.

Is that 56 lbs on a constant-pull electronic machine? Then it could be a bit high, since many electronic machines tend to overshoot tension and then settle at the set tension, resulting in a tighter and deader string bed.

When I hybrid a poly with a multi, I always use different tension, lower on the poly and higher on multi.

goran_ace
08-13-2009, 07:16 AM
I've played monogut with hollow core earlier this summer. After 6-7 hours of hitting it might be dead already and time to cut out. Also, I thoguht it played really well freshly strung at lower tensions so maybe try it at 50-52 (if your crosses are at 56).

abenguyen
08-13-2009, 09:32 PM
actually i believe i did my crosses 2 lbs higher. which i always do if i string hybrids. its actually on a klippermate dropweight ;). i think the string also doesn't have enough bite for me. i feel like i have to apply much more 'ummph' to place spin on the ball.

TheRed
08-14-2009, 01:06 PM
There's your problem. You're expecting it to hit well after 6-7 hours. Monogut is lively the first 2-3 hours, drops off dramatically after 5-6 hours and is pretty much dead by your 7-8 hrs/3rd time hitting with it.

diredesire
08-14-2009, 02:00 PM
is it me or does it just play extremely dead? even after 6-7 hours of hitting with it, I have no feel whatsoever. its in a hybrid with wilson hollow core in the crosses at 56lbs. i mean seriously? i've never had a string play so dead?
Hollow core isn't helping in that combination, either, IMO. You can try it with something like PSGD, but if it doesn't come "alive" at all, it's the monogut. It's no angel when it comes to feel. Some people really like it (and the price is right), but I thought it was very "meh" and cut it out very quickly.

actually i believe i did my crosses 2 lbs higher. which i always do if i string hybrids. its actually on a klippermate dropweight ;). i think the string also doesn't have enough bite for me. i feel like i have to apply much more 'ummph' to place spin on the ball.

Yeah, for the gauge it's not the greatest ball biter, I think it would respond well to a flat hitter's stroke in a dense string bed, though. This scenario definitely doesn't describe me, though.

There's your problem. You're expecting it to hit well after 6-7 hours. Monogut is lively the first 2-3 hours, drops off dramatically after 5-6 hours and is pretty much dead by your 7-8 hrs/3rd time hitting with it.
Yep. It dies really quick. There was a short period of time when the monogut was hyped up a little bit on the boards (and I never really got why), but that, like the monogut itself, died off pretty quickly..

bsandy
08-14-2009, 02:27 PM

Why are you only blaming the Monogut and no the cross string ?

. . . Bud

abenguyen
08-16-2009, 04:03 PM
Why are you only blaming the Monogut and no the cross string ?

. . . Bud

cause i've had the hollow core in the crosses for other hybrids and had much more feel

abenguyen
08-17-2009, 10:45 AM
ah ha! i restrung it in another one of my racquets and played an hour later after stringing and it was amazing. the spin potential was ridiculous! but now im afraid as time goes on the strings are losing tension and will lose the best playability