PDA

View Full Version : which tension for gut cross strings

Jackson Heights
08-12-2009, 10:41 PM
I am thinking of trying hybrid strings. I read on TW website the main strings should be about two pounds tighter than the cross strings. So if I want 61 tension, I will try 62 at the main and 60 at the cross. I am planning to try a premium synthetic string (not polyester) such as Head FXP Power 17 gauge at the main, and a natural gut (16 gauge) at the cross. So it should be 62 synthetic string at the main and 60 natural gut at the cross.

But I remember hearing years ago that natural gut strings should be strung at 5 pounds tighter or 5 pounds looser (I can't remember which) than how you would string a synthetic gut. Does that mean I can't string the natural gut at 60 - that it must be 60 plus 5 (65 pounds) or 60 minus 5 (55 pounds). What tension should I string the natural gut cross strings if I want it slightly looser than the synthetic main strings.

Also, is it OK if the synthetic main strings are a different gauge (17) than the cross natural gut strings which are 16 gauge? Must they be the same gauge?

forehand_barrage
08-12-2009, 11:10 PM
First i would like to ask you what you are trying to accomplish with the gut in the crosses and syn gut in the mains. From my experience gut has more durability that the fxp power. I would suggest you use gut in the mains, and fxp power in the crosses to increase durability and playability. This is just a suggestion you dont have to listen to me.

My personal preference is to string the gut at the same or 2 lbs higher than syn guts, again its my personal preference, in the end it comes down to what you prefer most, experiment with gut at different setups and find out what is most suitable to you.

Jackson Heights
08-13-2009, 03:43 PM
First i would like to ask you what you are trying to accomplish with the gut in the crosses and syn gut in the mains. From my experience gut has more durability that the fxp power. I would suggest you use gut in the mains, and fxp power in the crosses to increase durability and playability. This is just a suggestion you dont have to listen to me.

My personal preference is to string the gut at the same or 2 lbs higher than syn guts, again its my personal preference, in the end it comes down to what you prefer most, experiment with gut at different setups and find out what is most suitable to you.

I wanted soft strings because I have problems with tennis elbow. The Head FXP Power (17)synthetic strings are soft and I would put them as main strings. That is what I usually use for both main and cross. I find FXP Power (17) to be durable enough. (I am not a string breaker). I figured the natural gut is even softer, but are expensive and are supposed to break quite often. So I figured putting natural gut in the cross strings would be less likely to break than putting gut as the main strings. So I figured I would put the FXP Power 17 in the main and the natural gut in the cross strings. I hoped the natural gut would add even more softness and more playability and feel, and it would be less likely to break if put in the cross than in the main. And gut at 16 gauge would be more durable than at 17 gauge. However, I am willing to listen to advice if there are some suggestions. Any recommendations as to how I should string the racket?

murrmanfan13
08-13-2009, 04:07 PM
your though process is good, but you forgot a few key points. natural gut is paired with synthetics for 2 reasons.

1. you can get most of the playability of gut if it is in the mains, while paying half price. (thats if your using a cheap synthetic, which you should be)

2. you will get more durability because synthetics are generally more durable then gut.

from what you are saying there is no reason to put the syn. in the mains. you will waste the best attributes of gut. if you are set on doing that, leave gut out of the picture.

now if you want gut in the crosses you can try it with a stiff poly, which will help the playability of the overall frame. the only reason to put gut in the crosses ever is to soften a hard poly and add more power to it. besides that it is only used in full sets or as the main string. if you put gut as a cross string with a poly or syn. gut, the synthetic or poly should die before the gut breaks, unless your a high level player. a great combo, and probably the best combo, is gut in the mains and luxilon alu rough in the crosses. all though the rough will saw into gut more than usual, you will get themore spin and power then any other string. but the durability is poor. if you want to put gut with a poly i would recommend i high end multi like x-1 instead because its cheaper and you wont lose 25$ if it breaks.

i hoped that helped :D

Jackson Heights
08-13-2009, 08:32 PM
[QUOTE=murrmanfan13;3802093]your though process is good, but you forgot a few key points. natural gut is paired with synthetics for 2 reasons.

1. you can get most of the playability of gut if it is in the mains, while paying half price. (thats if your using a cheap synthetic, which you should be)

2. you will get more durability because synthetics are generally more durable then gut.

from what you are saying there is no reason to put the syn. in the mains. you will waste the best attributes of gut. if you are set on doing that, leave gut out of the picture.

now if you want gut in the crosses you can try it with a stiff poly, which will help the playability of the overall frame. the only reason to put gut in the crosses ever is to soften a hard poly and add more power to it. besides that it is only used in full sets or as the main string. if you put gut as a cross string with a poly or syn. gut, the synthetic or poly should die before the gut breaks, unless your a high level player. a great combo, and probably the best combo, is gut in the mains and luxilon alu rough in the crosses. all though the rough will saw into gut more than usual, you will get themore spin and power then any other string. but the durability is poor. if you want to put gut with a poly i would recommend i high end multi like x-1 instead because its cheaper and you wont lose 25$ if it breaks.

i hoped that helped :D[/QUOT

Thanks very much for your answer Murmanfan. However, I cannot use polyester strings due to tennis elbow, as I mentioned in my opening thread. So assume I will use gut along with a soft premium synthetic such as Head FXP Power 17. (That is the string I now use for both cross and main). I could put the natural gut in the main, but was afraid it would break too easily, and would last longer in the cross. However, I could reverse it and put the natural gut in the main and the synthetic in the cross and get the benefits of a gut IF the gut is durable.

The most important question is # 1:

1) Do you think the natural gut in the main is as durable as the FXP Power 17 in the main? If so, I will try it.

If the answer is yes, then I will use synthetic FXP Power 17 in the cross strings, and natural gut in the main. If so, I have these questions:

2) Should I use a 16 gauge natural gut in the main instead of 17 gauge gut to increase durability?

3) Are these two strings (the synthetic and the gut) a good combo if I put the gut in the main? Or will it not be worth doing.

4) Should the tension of the natural gut in the main be two pounds tighter than the synthetic strings in the cross? (Note the synthetic is not polyester.)

5) Can anyone recommend a half set of natural gut that is not too expensive, to go with the half set of Head FXP Power 17?

By the way, I am a 4.0 player and not a big hitter, and not much of a string breaker.

forehand_barrage
08-13-2009, 09:47 PM
1) in my opinion the gut will be more durable in the mains than the 17 gauge fxp power.

2) 16g natural gut is probably more durable than 17g natural gut, so if you are looking for durability 16g is the way to go.

3) If you are looking for comfort, power, and feel these strings are the way to go.

4) Suggestion: If i were you I would increase main tension by 2 lbs because i read somewhere that doing that increses the sweetspot (not exactly sure about the source)

5)Usualy cheap natural gut involves some amount of risk (usually premature breakage)Your safest bet is KLIP Legend Natural Gut 16 String Half Set its relatively inexpensive and dependable it sells for $17, however if you are really willing to risk it you can try Titan Natural Gut 16 String Half Set for $9.99.

There are a few other options like Global Gut full set which sells for $15 check the global gut thread for more info, and i recently came across unifibre natural gut (note: never tried it) it sells for $20 for full set on sports priority (agains its risky to try since it can break prematurely and make you waaste a lot of money)

Jackson Heights
08-14-2009, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the reply Forehand Barrage. I will try as recommended:
I will try the Klip Legend Natural Gut 16 gauge as the main strings.
I will try Head FXP Power 17 gauge synthetic string as the cross strings.
I will string the gut main strings two pounds tighter than the synthetic cross strings.
My only concern is I hope that the fact that the main strings (gut) and the cross strings (synthetic) have different gauges is not a problem. The gut will be at 17 gauge, the synthetic at 16 gauge. I hope the different gauges can coexist.