PDA

View Full Version : Help? Poly to multi.....

galain
08-13-2009, 03:32 AM
Just posting in the hope I can get some answers to some recent strangeness.

I've always played with softer strings but had been wanting to try a poly set up for some time. I wanted a little more spin to help me out on the European clay I find myself on these days, so, after a bit of reading, I went with Black Code 18.

First hit wasn't a good start. I couldn't feel the ball on the stringbed and my elbow was sore afterwards (this was at around 53lbs). But I won and my opponent said my shots were all landing within inches of the lines with more spin - so original issue addressed I guess.

Subsequent hits were much better. Softer, nicer feel. After about 3 weeks of consistent play I guess they went dead. First time with a poly so I don't really know, but they lost all feel and all control as well.

I didn't think it was worth going back to them again so I went with a recommended Babolat Excel Power 16 at a slightly higher tension (60lbs).

This is where the problem starts. I quite like the feel of the strings. Soft, cushioned - everything I like. But for some strange reason I have very little idea of what the ball is doing off the stringbed with them. I've played 2 matches with them and both times I really struggled finding my range. It's not usually a problem for me - normally I can put the ball where i want it, but these last 2 times the same shot would throw the ball past the baseline or into the net - and I had no idea. As far as I can tell, I'm still producing the stroke the same way, I haven't changed my mechanics - but for whatever reason, there is not a lot of consistency in response.

Yesterday I played a guy who is a typical clay court pusher. Lots of spin, high loopy shots, not really aggressive. And normally I beat him easily - I just knock the ball past him without too much difficulty. Yesterday, I was netting shots, hitting them long - doing everything but what I usually do. It was frustrating.

So - I'm throwing myself at the mercy of the boards. Has anyone else experienced this with Babolat Excel Power? Could it just be adjustment after three weeks with a poly? I'm prety honest with myself and I really don't think my technique is any worse than it has been. I'd be happy if it was because it would be cheaper than putting my sticks in for more strings.

Any ideas?

Thanks

vndesu
08-13-2009, 03:41 AM
why not try a hybrid?

thats the thing about changing strings sometimes it can mess you up
at first i believed all poly was good, but its biggest con is the tension drop, and dead feel, while the multi is good with comfort and touch, but lacks the bite i need.

if i were you id recomend trying a hybrid like topspin cyberflash/x1s at around 58/60 or whatever tension you feel most comfortable at

Power Player
08-13-2009, 06:04 AM
The question is this..do you use a lot of heavy spin and pace when you hit? If no, then I would not use poly and go to multis. Not only will it feel better on your arm, you will not have to worry about the string dying or the issues you have now.

The best multi for the price the Pro Supex Maxim Touch. I also think the Tecnifibre Multi Feel and the Wilson Kgut are both great.

ryangoring
08-13-2009, 07:04 AM
I too second the Multifeel as well.
If you can get ahold of some Superstring voodoo energy, a multi, you might like that as well

fuzz nation
08-13-2009, 09:27 AM
Not poo-pooing anyone else here, but I've had a bunch of outings with several different string types/tensions since I have the luxury of stringing my own gear. I like crispness, control, a degree of pop or liveliness, along with enough softness that my wrist and elbow don't complain after a heavy schedule. Some softness may come with the flex in my racquet, but I also want my strings to be not entirely harsh.

Kevlar and poly seem to irritate me whenever I try them in racquets that I'm already familiar with and multi's only seem to work for me in frames with a whole lot of flex that can tone down the inherent zip that multifibers can bring to the table. I've done a few side by side comparisons, again with familiar racquets, to see how the same model of synthetic gut works in both 16 and 17 gauges and for me, a half-decent 17 gets it done.

I've never used natural gut - sort of afraid to get hooked on it $$$ - but I keep on enjoying my good ol' basic syn. gut. Multifibers always seem to eventually turn to rubber bands, but I can easily dial in a syn. gut with the right tension to get that not-too-soft, not-too-hard, but just right layout.

I also like coffee...

Bad Dog
08-13-2009, 09:47 AM
Not poo-pooing anyone else here, but I've had a bunch of outings with several different string types/tensions since I have the luxury of stringing my own gear. I like crispness, control, a degree of pop or liveliness, along with enough softness that my wrist and elbow don't complain after a heavy schedule. Some softness may come with the flex in my racquet, but I also want my strings to be not entirely harsh.

Kevlar and poly seem to irritate me whenever I try them in racquets that I'm already familiar with and multi's only seem to work for me in frames with a whole lot of flex that can tone down the inherent zip that multifibers can bring to the table. I've done a few side by side comparisons, again with familiar racquets, to see how the same model of synthetic gut works in both 16 and 17 gauges and for me, a half-decent 17 gets it done.

I've never used natural gut - sort of afraid to get hooked on it $$$ - but I keep on enjoying my good ol' basic syn. gut. Multifibers always seem to eventually turn to rubber bands, but I can easily dial in a syn. gut with the right tension to get that not-too-soft, not-too-hard, but just right layout.

I also like coffee...

OK I appreciate the arm safety precautions of your first paragraph, along with crispness, control and liveliness. So what is the best syn gut you would recommend, to loyal high-end multifilament users (like me), who claim to be looking for basically similar properties? :)

Racer41c
08-13-2009, 11:58 AM
Just posting in the hope I can get some answers to some recent strangeness.

I've always played with softer strings but had been wanting to try a poly set up for some time. I wanted a little more spin to help me out on the European clay I find myself on these days, so, after a bit of reading, I went with Black Code 18.

First hit wasn't a good start. I couldn't feel the ball on the stringbed and my elbow was sore afterwards (this was at around 53lbs). But I won and my opponent said my shots were all landing within inches of the lines with more spin - so original issue addressed I guess.

Subsequent hits were much better. Softer, nicer feel. After about 3 weeks of consistent play I guess they went dead. First time with a poly so I don't really know, but they lost all feel and all control as well.

I didn't think it was worth going back to them again so I went with a recommended Babolat Excel Power 16 at a slightly higher tension (60lbs).

This is where the problem starts. I quite like the feel of the strings. Soft, cushioned - everything I like. But for some strange reason I have very little idea of what the ball is doing off the stringbed with them. I've played 2 matches with them and both times I really struggled finding my range. It's not usually a problem for me - normally I can put the ball where i want it, but these last 2 times the same shot would throw the ball past the baseline or into the net - and I had no idea. As far as I can tell, I'm still producing the stroke the same way, I haven't changed my mechanics - but for whatever reason, there is not a lot of consistency in response.

Yesterday I played a guy who is a typical clay court pusher. Lots of spin, high loopy shots, not really aggressive. And normally I beat him easily - I just knock the ball past him without too much difficulty. Yesterday, I was netting shots, hitting them long - doing everything but what I usually do. It was frustrating.

So - I'm throwing myself at the mercy of the boards. Has anyone else experienced this with Babolat Excel Power? Could it just be adjustment after three weeks with a poly? I'm prety honest with myself and I really don't think my technique is any worse than it has been. I'd be happy if it was because it would be cheaper than putting my sticks in for more strings.

Any ideas?

Thanks

It would be very helpful to know what your normal string/guage/tension are, and what racquet you use. Lastly, how often do you play and what's your playing style?

galain
08-14-2009, 09:06 AM
Thank you for all the responses so far. I wouldn't mind trying a hybrid but when I asked about it the guy at the sports store (small town in country Germany) he either couldn't understand me (quite likely) or couldn't be bothered.

I've usually used 16 gauge string in a PT 630 - most recently a string called Tenserv Gold - a soft syn gut. I play a big game with not a lot of spin and I like to come to the net. I have no idea what my level of play is. I hit a heavy, fairly flat ball, and can put it pretty much wherever I want to when I'm having a good day. I tend to win or lose by my own hand - winners or errors. I rarely get outhit.

I thought though, that now that I'm playing on clay, and with all this talk of poly strings, some more spin might be helpful. I do hit very close to the net. It's not intentional - but I figured with a little more clearance and spin I'd cut down what errors I might make.

Seemed to work well with the Black Code - I just didn't care for it at the start and it didn't last very long. Now - I have no idea.

fuzz nation
08-14-2009, 10:33 AM
OK I appreciate the arm safety precautions of your first paragraph, along with crispness, control and liveliness. So what is the best syn gut you would recommend, to loyal high-end multifilament users (like me), who claim to be looking for basically similar properties? :)

I really enjoy the syn. guts that have extra layers of wraps over their solid cores. The stuff I often use is LaserFibre LaserLite XL, which isn't available on every corner, but it's an example of a decent synthetic that I feel like I can dial in to any racquet I use. I live only about 10 minutes away from Tim at LaserFibre, so it's easy for me to get reels of this string.

I know I've used a couple of other good synthetics - some have come in racquets that I've bought or traded for here, but I'm not positive on the ones I've tried. One string that seems familiar is Klip Scorcher, which I think was in a pal's racquet when I tried it (last year?). I also had a good time with some Gamma Live Wire, which may be more multi than solid core synthetic.

My impression with these thinner synthetics is that I can control the softness in my stringbed with the tension I use compared with most of the multi's I've sampled that get too spongey for me if they loosen up. The solid cores can be less harsh when strung at lower tension, but they retain a crispness in their feedback that the multi's don't seem to duplicate for me.

JediMindTrick
08-14-2009, 12:01 PM
The multi that plays closest to a poly is Prince Recoil. Now that the price has come down, you may want to give it a try.

Steve Huff
08-14-2009, 12:08 PM
Signum Pro Poly Plasma has a soft feel, yet is still a poly and has a high degree of control. If you string your own, I'd give it a try. I like the 1.28 mm as the 1.23 version broke unexpectantly a few times for me. I quit carrying that gauge.