PDA

View Full Version : Need advice..Klip Legend 16g

Azzurri
08-13-2009, 07:18 AM
I have been playing 17g strings for the past 3 years or so. I will be ordering a few sets of the Legend and am thinking about getting 16g. I am looking for LESS power in this gut and what tension could I go up to? I normally string around 60lbs. I can't remember if the lower the gauge, the less power..yes?? How high have you strung Klip Legend? I want the gut, but have to tame the power a little more. Thanks in advance.

Supracool94
08-13-2009, 07:38 AM
If you want control, I would suggest going to highest tension that is recommended for your particular racquet.

Also using a poly string in the crosses would give you more control.

Garvy
08-13-2009, 07:57 AM
68 in a kbteam

66 in a RDX002T

No probs at all.
Hope that helps

Racer41c
08-14-2009, 08:05 AM
Played with a full set of Legend 16 last night. Strung at 60/58. Surprising control, I read that Legend is a lower power gut, but this was a pleasant surprise for me. Also, in my experience 17g strings definitely have more power than a 16.

In case this helps I would rate the full Legend 16 this way, compared to a poly/syn gut hybrid:

Power: about the same
Control: better
Spin: More than the hybrid about the same as full poly
Feel: Once I get used to it I think it will be fantastic. The ball bite is exceptional
Movement: It didn't move much at all
Durability: ??? we'll see.
Fraying: A few beginnings of fraying

Other: The ability to cut the slice backhand was worth several points last night. However, I never found the grove with the forehand, wound up hitting a lot of topspin/depth shots to control points. Whereas with poly, a few bashed forehands to pull opponent off court was the preferred point construction.

scotus
08-14-2009, 09:45 AM
If I were you, I would start out at 62 lbs to see how I like it (just slightly above your normal tension).

Whatever you do, do not prestretch Legend. If you take it to a professional, tell him/her to turn the prestretch function on the electronic machine OFF. The only kind of prestretching I would allow on Legend is about 20 seconds by hand.

Prestretch it too much, you will get the stiffest gut you have ever played with. It will play stiffer than PSGD, I tell you.

Keifers
08-14-2009, 12:14 PM
^^ Completely agree with scotus here. Prestretching will make Legend feel like nothing like a gut.

My .02: Don't even do a light prestretch...

Keifers
08-14-2009, 12:18 PM
Played with a full set of Legend 16 last night. Strung at 60/58. Surprising control, I read that Legend is a lower power gut, but this was a pleasant surprise for me. Also, in my experience 17g strings definitely have more power than a 16.

In case this helps I would rate the full Legend 16 this way, compared to a poly/syn gut hybrid:

Feel: Once I get used to it I think it will be fantastic. The ball bite is exceptional

Other: The ability to cut the slice backhand was worth several points last night. However, I never found the grove with the forehand, wound up hitting a lot of topspin/depth shots to control points. Whereas with poly, a few bashed forehands to pull opponent off court was the preferred point construction.
Very interesting read.

Can you describe its comfort and feel and compare it with your poly hybrid?

What is in your poly hybrid (strings, gauges and tensions)?

Thanks.

fruitytennis1
08-14-2009, 03:36 PM
I hate fraying. Thats why i stopped using textured strings or aleast the cheaper ones.

Azzurri
08-14-2009, 07:07 PM

I also have had problems with my FH with babolat VS. It has too much power. thanks for the info.:)

Azzurri
08-14-2009, 07:08 PM
If I were you, I would start out at 62 lbs to see how I like it (just slightly above your normal tension).

Whatever you do, do not prestretch Legend. If you take it to a professional, tell him/her to turn the prestretch function on the electronic machine OFF. The only kind of prestretching I would allow on Legend is about 20 seconds by hand.

Prestretch it too much, you will get the stiffest gut you have ever played with. It will play stiffer than PSGD, I tell you.

I have heard this before. I won't have it pre-stretched.:)

Steve Huff
08-14-2009, 07:35 PM
You could try the Armour Pro (whatever Klip's slightly higher priced gut is called). It's stiffer and has a little less power, a little more control.

Azzurri
08-16-2009, 06:44 AM
^^
from what I read in other threads, I don't think I would like the feel of this string. I have used Klip Legend 17 and really liked it..hope the 16g has less power and I should be happy.:)

Lefty78
08-16-2009, 02:35 PM
I've strung with Legend 17 @ 65, and no problems.

Azzurri
08-17-2009, 06:42 AM
More than once? so 16g should not be an issue either. thanks for the info so far everyone.

Il Mostro
08-17-2009, 08:17 AM
You could try the Armour Pro (whatever Klip's slightly higher priced gut is called). It's stiffer and has a little less power, a little more control.

+1 This is the lowest powered natural gut I have ever used. In 17g you'll get the low power you are looking for without sacrificing spin potential and feel.

rasajadad
08-17-2009, 09:20 AM
I've strung Legend 17 (coated) at 63 in my Redondo mids. The thing that concerns me is that between going up in tension and going down in gauge, the stringbed might feel a bit tight.

Racer41c
08-28-2009, 03:58 PM

Update: Have about 110-12 hours on the legend. It lost a significant amount of tension between the first and 3rd hits. When I do it again I'll string 2-4 lbs tighter.