PDA

View Full Version : longest lasting

muddlehead
08-13-2009, 08:41 AM
currently use wilson synthetic gut stamina 16 gauge. my local pro shop recommended it when i asked for the strongest longest lasting string. they charge me $25 per stringing. anyone have any alternatives? or, is this a good recommendation at a fair price?

fuzz nation
08-13-2009, 09:08 AM
Both poly and kevlar strings resist breaking longer than anything else, but these string types have almost zero resilience. Unless you are a real killer that needs stuff to last more than a half-hour before snapping, I'd say leave them alone.

As synthetic gut goes, Stamina has a reputation for durability (as the name implies), but I've used it and found it to have an especially harsh and clunky feel. Sure it had some durability, but I also like some decent feel and performance. One thing for me to note is that I string my own bats, so durability isn't a big deal for me. The issue of feel is also really subjective and I've found what I enjoy through trial and error.

Prince Syn. Gut with Duraflex (PSGD) has gained a decent reputation for performance and longer life, but I'd expect many 16 or even 15 gauge syn. guts to hold up for you for a good long time. What's best? You'll know what you like when you feel it.

Toad
08-13-2009, 09:35 AM
I find this a very odd recommendation for someone asking for the strongest longest lasting string. I have never used this string before but I can't imagine this string lasting longer than some of the newer co-polys that are a little more stable tension wise. Also, I know that this string won't last longer than any Kevlar hybrid. When I told the pro shop to string my racket up with the longest lasting string they put a Prince Problend with Duraflex hybrid in my racket (avoid this string)...this was about 7 years ago though.

If you find that this string isn't durable enough for you I might try a soft co-poly...I haven't played with enough to recommend one. If you ask your pro shop for a poly recommendation and they say/give you Wilson Enduro, find a new stringer...if you don't break Enduro within 3 or 4 weeks the tension loss makes it unplayable.

As far as the price, I would imagine that particular string costs them no more than $5 which means they are charging you $20 or a little more for labor. That isn't absurd for a pro shop, but I don't know what they were charging you for other strings.