PDA

View Full Version : Best Multi For The Price

pushandslice4
08-13-2009, 04:44 PM
Hello everyone. I am on the hunt to find the right multi string for me. I am currently using WeissCannon Explosiv and found that there is a huge lack of spin potential in these strings. I am looking for a soft string that has great bite on the ball. I am around a 3.0 player with a slice backhand. I am mostly a pusher but like to finish points at the net when possible. I am not a string breaker. I would like a string that would last a couple months playability wise and something that WILL NOT go dead soon. I have a list of strings by brand that I would like to try and if you have played with these, could you give me some feedback?

Tecnifibre:
X-One Biphase
NRG2
Multifeel

Wilson:
NXT

Prince
Premier LT
Recoil

Kirschbaum:
Touch Multifibre

Babolat
Addiction

tennisfreak15347
08-13-2009, 05:36 PM
I wouldn't go for any of the Tecnifibres, as their multis tend to die a bit faster than others, especially Multifeel. Wilson NXT, the string put into a lot of demo racquets, is a great all around string, although quite expensive.

My recommendations for the best multi for the price would be HEAD RIP Control and Pro Supex Maxim Touch. You can't go wrong with either.

stanfordtennis alum
08-13-2009, 05:39 PM
for the price? pro supex maxim touch, hands down...

Noisy Ninja
08-13-2009, 05:44 PM
^ Totally agree.

ryangoring
08-13-2009, 06:52 PM
What, man I had a great time with Multifeel. A great multi for the price. If you can get superstring voodoo energy, now that is a great multi to use.

Arafel
08-13-2009, 07:57 PM
I've played with NXT, Addiction and X-1. I prefer Addiction, but X-1 lasts a little longer. I think NXT is overpriced for what it is.

MarrratSafin
08-13-2009, 08:58 PM
More than half the people here will tell you it's some Pro Supex Maxim Touch.. as always.

davidahenry
08-14-2009, 05:23 PM
Hello everyone. I am on the hunt to find the right multi string for me. I am currently using WeissCannon Explosiv and found that there is a huge lack of spin potential in these strings.

I had the same experience with Explosiv... lack of spin. Last Summer, there was a great deal of discussion on these boards about Explosiv - most of it positive. I got caught up in all the hoopla and gave it a try. It was super soft and felt great in the hands while stringing, but once I got on the court, it just didn't measure up to all the hype. I hit with a great deal of topspin, and with Explosiv, I had to really work my shots in order to generate my normal amount of spin. I've since read where others had the same experience.

I am looking for a soft string that has great bite on the ball. I am around a 3.0 player with a slice backhand. I am mostly a pusher but like to finish points at the net when possible. I am not a string breaker. I would like a string that would last a couple months playability wise and something that WILL NOT go dead soon. I have a list of strings by brand that I would like to try and if you have played with these, could you give me some feedback?

Tecnifibre:
X-One Biphase
NRG2
Multifeel

I like both X-One and NRG2. Both are excellent multi's. Of the two, I prefer NRG2 because it is not quite as powerful as X-One. (X-One just had a little too much power for my liking - even when strung at 65 lbs.)

Prince
Premier LT
Recoil

I gave Recoil a try last Summer and didn't like it at all. It felt vey board-like, and I felt very disconnected to this string. It is way overpriced for the playability (or lack of playability) it provides.

Babolat
Addiction

All in all, Addiction is the best multi for the money - a terrific value, IMO. At $10 per set, I'm not sure there is a better deal on a multi out there. From a pure playability standpoint, Babolat Xcel Power is my favorite multi of all, but it sells for almost double the price of Addiction.

Take care.

DH

Keifers
08-14-2009, 07:03 PM
More than half the people here will tell you it's some Pro Supex Maxim Touch.. as always.
Yes, you're right. And I find the casual recommendation of Maxim Touch troubling.

I'm a fan of MT (I've used it full and as a cross with poly mains) but I'm not a fan of people recommending it without noting that it is a low-powered multi. I haven't tried all the strings the OP listed, but I would guess that MT is noticeably lower-powered than all of them. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.) It's certainly the lowest-powered multi that I know of.

This is something that should be pointed out when recommending it, especially to a relatively inexperienced player such as the OP (no offense intended).

So Maxim Touch: excellent playability, excellent price, noticeably lower-powered than the other strings you're considering.

StumpyDaMooseGod
08-14-2009, 08:23 PM
What about E-Matrix form Technifibre? I tried it and thought it was great for $5.00.

shell
08-14-2009, 09:04 PM
What about E-Matrix form Technifibre? I tried it and thought it was great for $5.00.

It is a nice deal at $5, but I don't think the durability will hold up for the OP's needs. It shreds very easily.

shell
08-14-2009, 09:15 PM
PushandSlice, I think you have a very nice list - although I have not tried a few of them (Recoil and the Kirsch.)

I agree with one of the above posts, Addiction may be a great one for you. My personal favs are the Technifibre strings, all three with Multifeel being the lower powered of the three.

Maybe try the Addiction and one of the Tech. strings if you have to limit your testing. Then go from there. I'd probably rec. the NRG2 - it's in the middle of the power level of the three, and it is a lovely string that has nice feel (for your slices).

Good luck!

TennisNinja
08-14-2009, 10:20 PM
I wouldn't go for any of the Tecnifibres, as their multis tend to die a bit faster than others, especially Multifeel. Wilson NXT, the string put into a lot of demo racquets, is a great all around string, although quite expensive.

My recommendations for the best multi for the price would be HEAD RIP Control and Pro Supex Maxim Touch. You can't go wrong with either.Really? NRG especially I broke very very fast. Multifeel actually lasts a bit when I rotate 3 rackets. I really like it and when bought in reels it's like 7-8$ a set.

geesechops
08-14-2009, 11:50 PM
I used to use Maxim Touch until I tried Addiction. Way more pop and a nice soft feel on the arm with the crisp I like. Great all court string.

Maxim might be nice in a bigger racquet than mine, but my prestige mid definitely benefits from a semi-powerful string.

Roberto
08-15-2009, 04:00 AM
Wilson Sensation 16
...I know there are many who don't like Sensation but I know many (including me) who thinks it's the best.

1st Seed
08-15-2009, 04:14 AM
I chime in here,Go grab some Biphase,for those of you who have yet to try it,man you're missing out.I'll always have two sticks done with X-1 for matches only,It is the best multi for the price.
2nd, Rip control hands down fav of all my custies,quality built low powered,the17's play crispy.
Good luck testing,I'm currently testing Ashaway Dynamite,Weiss explosiv,Nrg2,Tecnifibre's TGV is a great value multi plays like gut and lasts a good 6hrs.

Valjean
08-15-2009, 04:28 AM
Prince's Premier LT, of the multifilaments you listed.

However, though it's a traditional spin synthetic, Wilson's surprisingly soft new Super Spin will probably satisfy every need you had when you came in.

http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/articles/2009/03/10_prince_premier_lt.html

http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/articles/2007/05/wilson_super_spin_16.html

R-Fed
08-16-2009, 09:45 AM
I would recommend Head Rip Control. When you hit hard it controls the ball like polyester, yet feels similar to natural gut on touch shots like the drop volley.

shell
08-16-2009, 11:10 AM
I would recommend Head Rip Control. When you hit hard it controls the ball like polyester, yet feels similar to natural gut on touch shots like the drop volley.

When you go back and read the OP's description of his game, would you really still rec. this string?

I feel it falls into the same catagory as Maxim Touch....see above discussion. Low powered.

pushandslice4
08-16-2009, 03:26 PM
PushandSlice, I think you have a very nice list - although I have not tried a few of them (Recoil and the Kirsch.)

I agree with one of the above posts, Addiction may be a great one for you. My personal favs are the Technifibre strings, all three with Multifeel being the lower powered of the three.

Maybe try the Addiction and one of the Tech. strings if you have to limit your testing. Then go from there. I'd probably rec. the NRG2 - it's in the middle of the power level of the three, and it is a lovely string that has nice feel (for your slices).

Good luck!

Addiction is a must now. Does Addiction have a medium-power level? I have read many reviews about NRG losing it's tension alot. Could NRG last me a couple months playability wise without going dead? I have tried Tecnifibre TGV and XR3 and they felt dead in 12 hours. How much lower powered is the Multifeel than, say, NXT? Would you say NRG is much better than Multifeel?

shell
08-16-2009, 03:46 PM
Addiction is a must now. Does Addiction have a medium-power level? I have read many reviews about NRG losing it's tension alot. Could NRG last me a couple months playability wise without going dead? I have tried Tecnifibre TGV and XR3 and they felt dead in 12 hours. How much lower powered is the Multifeel than, say, NXT? Would you say NRG is much better than Multifeel?

I can't totally comment on the couple of months because none of these strings last me that long. I have not found NRG2 to go dead after 12 hours though, or at least not a really noticable loss. I really think any of them man lose some playability in 2 -3 months, but maybe it is gradual and not so noticable as it changes. I've not found it to just die, like you hear about with poly.

To me, NRG2 and Multifeel have quite a different feel, and I find less power with Multifeel - although I like both. Multifeel has a plastic coating feel to it, and plays a little muted. NRG2 has more of a raw feel, but nice and soft at the same time. NXT plays like a mix of the other two.

Having said that, if you have noticed the other Tech. strings to go dead (I've not played with those two you mentioned), then my guess is both NRG2 and Multifeel would probably follow suit. But I've got to think that most any multi. would do pretty much the same.

BoomerangX
08-18-2009, 09:09 PM
I've heard Pro Supex Maxim Touch 17g isn't very durable. Which do you MT users prefer, 16g or 17g?

gbc08
08-21-2009, 06:18 AM
Babolet Addiction is a good string at a reasonable price. Has good feel and power.

Rabbit
08-21-2009, 06:27 AM
At $4.95/set the Volkl Catapult is a very nice multi.

shell
08-21-2009, 07:03 AM
At $4.95/set the Volkl Catapult is a very nice multi.

Rabbit, I bought some of that too since it was on sale and a nice price. I've not tried it yet though. What do you think it compares too as far as power level and soft/stiff?

Rabbit
08-22-2009, 06:20 AM
Rabbit, I bought some of that too since it was on sale and a nice price. I've not tried it yet though. What do you think it compares too as far as power level and soft/stiff?

IMO, it's close to NXT/Excellerator... I think originally, Volkl contracted Klip to make this string for them. As I've indicated before, I've been told that it is the same string as PowerFibre only with a pearlized coating. I don't know if Volkl moved the manufacture from Klip to somewhere else, but it's a kissin' cousin of Klip's Excellerator.