PDA

View Full Version : I Knew Vick'd be Back in the NFL

kimbahpnam
08-13-2009, 07:16 PM
He's with the Eagles now...didn't take too long either. I knew despite what happened someone would sign him because he's still able to play.

ubermeyer
08-13-2009, 07:17 PM
the stupid dog-killing b-****!!

hankash
08-13-2009, 08:37 PM
Eagles going to the wildcat? Anyhow, the guy killed dogs for sport because he and his buddies got a kick out of dog fighting. Do I think it's messed up...yeah I do. However, don't many people hunt animals for sport? I don't see much of a difference since both show an obvious disrespect for an animal's life in favor of a game.

Killing an animal for eating is different though (because it's filling a need). However, does anyone look at the practices of our industrial food complex? I would say it's just as bad as how Vick treated dogs. For some reason (maybe their loyalty), dogs are held in higher esteem than other animals.

Pigs get crushed to death by machines and have their tails cut off; cows are force-fed foods they shouldn't be eating (corn, other cows, chicken manure); chickens are fattened up so much that they can't walk and get crushed by other chickens due to cramped conditions; hens laying eggs get put in the dark and starved to death, and deprived of water, before the end of their life (for 18 days) so their bodies are shocked, and produce more eggs.

So in essence, before getting on the Michael Vick hate train, take a look in your own backward to see what you support. Yeah his acts were despicable and he served his time, but no one is serving any time for the treatment the above animals are receiving, and it continues on.

ubermeyer
08-13-2009, 08:44 PM
Eagles going to the wildcat? Anyhow, the guy killed dogs for sport because he and his buddies got a kick out of dog fighting. Do I think it's messed up...yeah I do. However, don't many people hunt animals for sport? I don't see much of a difference since both show an obvious disrespect for an animal's life in favor of a game.

Killing an animal for eating is different though (because it's filling a need). However, does anyone look at the practices of our industrial food complex? I would say it's just as bad as how Vick treated dogs. For some reason (maybe their loyalty), dogs are held in higher esteem than other animals.

Pigs get crushed to death by machines and have their tails cut off; cows are force-fed foods they shouldn't be eating (corn, other cows, chicken manure); chickens are fattened up so much that they can't walk and get crushed by other chickens due to cramped conditions; hens laying eggs get put in the dark and starved to death, and deprived of water, before the end of their life (for 18 days) so their bodies are shocked, and produce more eggs.

So in essence, before getting on the Michael Vick hate train, take a look in your own backward to see what you support. Yeah his acts were despicable and he served his time, but no one is serving any time for the treatment the above animals are receiving, and it continues on.

you're a vegetarian, aren't you?

but doggies are cute :)

hankash
08-13-2009, 08:49 PM
Not a vegetarian at all; I love meat just as much as the next guy, but I'm also very careful about where I get it from. I'll pay extra for it, and if I don't have the extra, I just won't eat it. It tastes way better as well. Chicken actually tastes like chicken for example and not some bland filler food.

ubermeyer
08-13-2009, 08:51 PM
Not a vegetarian at all; I love meat just as much as the next guy, but I'm also very careful about where I get it from. I'll pay extra for it, and if I don't have the extra, I just won't eat it. It tastes way better as well. Chicken actually tastes like chicken for example and not some bland filler food.

in that case I commend you.

I also buy only kosher/halal food, (well I don't buy it but my parents do) Even though I am neither Jewish nor Muslim because this way I can eat all kinds of meat without the guilt that comes from slaughtering animals.

Deuce
08-13-2009, 09:12 PM
in that case I commend you.

I also buy only kosher/halal food, (well I don't buy it but my parents do) Even though I am neither Jewish nor Muslim because this way I can eat all kinds of meat without the guilt that comes from slaughtering animals.
^ That's very idealistic and naive of you.

The ugly fact is that torturous conditions exist in many butcheries that market themselves as being kosher.

Truth is, unless you kill the animal yourself, no-one has any idea of where their nicely packaged meat comes from. It's all just convenient wishful thinking. Abuses exist everywhere.

Personally, I haven't eaten meat in over 25 years (so much for the claim of meat "filling a need"). That's the only way of being sure that one is not contributing to the torture and suffering of animals.

VivalaVida
08-13-2009, 10:26 PM
I wonder how long would it take for Vick to shake the rust off. I dont see him throwing many TD passes in the first few games.

Deuce
08-13-2009, 10:52 PM
Can't wait 'till the Eagles - with that scum Vick - play the Browns.

Will be interesting to see how he's received by the 'dog pound'...

Tyrus
08-14-2009, 05:25 AM
Wildcat - Vick, Westbrook, NcNabb. I might enjoy watching Philly now!

Eviscerator
08-14-2009, 05:32 AM
He's with the Eagles now...didn't take too long either. I knew despite what happened someone would sign him because he's still able to play.

It figures that Philadelphia would sign him, as there fans have even booed Santa Claus. So having an animal abuser on the team is not that big of a deal to them.
Personally I think Vick has always been more hype than substance. He is a very good athlete, but not that good of a quarterback. He makes poor choices way too often, and gets hurt alot as a result.

:mrgreen:

jmverdugo
08-14-2009, 05:37 AM
Deleted Post ... rather not to comment.

Tyrus
08-14-2009, 05:37 AM

Dog Pound gets into a huge fight when Vick & co. come in and bash the hell outta the Brown turds.

like the Browns can say anything (Stallworth!) That team is still pathetic to this day.

drakulie
08-14-2009, 05:40 AM

Didn't realize Vick was eating the dogs he killed.

hankash
08-14-2009, 05:58 AM
^^So if he ate them, then the dog fighting would have been perfectly fine?

hb_hound
08-14-2009, 06:02 AM
conVick was an average QB at best in his prime. He could run with an open field in front of him but could not take a hit, stand in the pocket to let routes form or throw with touch when needed. So as a QB with 2-3 year of no practice or game play it should be a joke. Perfect fit for Philly

Chuck
08-14-2009, 06:31 AM
I don't see what all the fuss over this guy is about. The NFL is full of druggies and criminals that, because of all the money they've got, think they are immune from the laws that guide the rest of society. Why all the teeth knashing and hand wringing over this particular one?

atatu
08-14-2009, 07:00 AM
Another reason to hate the Eagles, in addition to their classless fans.

Wakenslam
08-14-2009, 07:17 AM
I don't see what all the fuss over this guy is about. The NFL is full of druggies and criminals that, because of all the money they've got, think they are immune from the laws that guide the rest of society. Why all the teeth knashing and hand wringing over this particular one?

I completely agree. There are plenty of felons, rapists, and murderers in the NFL, and other major sports for that matter. Just cause soccer moms (most who don't even watch football) are upset, this is a story. Don't even get me started about PETA. If they have their way we will never cure cancer. Give me a break.

lucknowrocks
08-14-2009, 08:12 AM
Decent pick up, if he gets his speed back. And if he does then this Eagles team is going to be a matchup nightmare. Finally McNabb has an excellent receiving corp. Maclin, DJack, and Curtis can flat out fly. Celek is a solid TE. Westbrook and McCoy are studs. The speed on offense is going to be ridiculous. I'm only concerned with his on field performance. Even with all the training camp injuries this team should contend for the super bowl.

drakulie
08-14-2009, 08:32 AM
^^So if he ate them, then the dog fighting would have been perfectly fine?

did I in any way, shape, or form suggest that?

Personally, I think "justice" would have been served if he had been thrown in a hole with 30 of those dogs (hungry and angry) so they could have their way with him.

jrod
08-14-2009, 08:41 AM
Personally, I think "justice" would have been served if he had been thrown in a hole with 30 of those dogs (hungry and angry) so they could have their way with him.

Agree 100%...and you might as well throw Stallworth in there with him since one scumbag ain't enough to feed 30 dogs.

Topaz
08-14-2009, 08:46 AM

Uh, thanks? And you're showing your class with that statement?

As a loyal Eagles fan from...well, *birth* (anyone remember #88 John Spagnola?)...I'm horrified that he's been signed by the birds. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if the fans didn't respond well to him being on the team.

Unfortunately, what many others have brought up is also true...the NFL is full of criminals that get paid millions of dollars for their...'talent'.

Topaz
08-14-2009, 08:47 AM
did I in any way, shape, or form suggest that?

Agree 100%...and you might as well throw Stallworth in there with him since one scumbag ain't enough to feed 30 dogs.

Hmm, I like this idea, but yes, jrod...there are some others we need to throw in there with Vick.

jamesblakefan#1
08-14-2009, 09:11 AM
He deserves a second chance...if Roger Goodell and the NFL feel he has paid his dues (which he has - 2 years in prison people) he has earned a shot to earn a living, and if he continues to live life the right way, no reason to hold him back when Ray Lewis is still allowed to be a face of the league.

LetFirstServe
08-14-2009, 09:12 AM
Those "criminals" are professional when it comes to their job. Thats why him playing is apart of the business. They are paid millions but it is still hard being a professional athlete. Same thing as an alcoholic in Hollywood coming to the studio on time ready to work after a night of drinking and snorting.

The codes of personal conducts means it's like they're working 24 hours a day.

This isn't an excuse to the crimes, but athletes spent so much time for training what they are good at. More than some people's full time jobs. Thats why even when some athletes retire, they are smart when it comes to their talent but in society most of them have the mind of a 14 year old. Thats why they turn up on the news.

CCNM
08-14-2009, 09:51 AM
Being a Miami Dolphins fan I am thrilled they didn't take him. I feel sorry for Eagles fans.

Topaz
08-14-2009, 10:29 AM
Being a Miami Dolphins fan I am thrilled they didn't take him. I feel sorry for Eagles fans.

Seriously...it is like 'hello, did we learn *nothing* from the TO fiasco?

Topaz
08-14-2009, 10:30 AM
Those "criminals" are professional when it comes to their job. Thats why him playing is apart of the business. They are paid millions but it is still hard being a professional athlete. Same thing as an alcoholic in Hollywood coming to the studio on time ready to work after a night of drinking and snorting.

The codes of personal conducts means it's like they're working 24 hours a day.

This isn't an excuse to the crimes, but athletes spent so much time for training what they are good at. More than some people's full time jobs. Thats why even when some athletes retire, they are smart when it comes to their talent but in society most of them have the mind of a 14 year old. Thats why they turn up on the news.

Oh please, cry me a river.

IMO, you get convicted, you don't get to play...ever again. Period. Go get a 'real' job and sweat the small stuff like all the rest of us.

jrod
08-14-2009, 10:38 AM
IMO, you get convicted, you don't get to play...ever again. Period....

Couldn't have said it any better. Zero tolerance.

LetFirstServe
08-14-2009, 10:50 AM
Oh please, cry me a river.

IMO, you get convicted, you don't get to play...ever again. Period. Go get a 'real' job and sweat the small stuff like all the rest of us.

Hmmm, my post wasn't meant to be emotional but with "cry me a river", there were and rivers were already cried.

But again, NFL is a business and they weighed the appeals out of him returning. He's a kid in school who got bad grades so he doesn't get to "play" sports.

Obviously he has enough money to take him and his extended family through life just fine. My post was more about the psychological growth issues many professional athletes face.

Talking about "real" jobs, even at that scale a felon has difficulty finding a job. I came across many that had a tough time finding a job even though they got over the mistake they made 10 years ago.

lucknowrocks
08-14-2009, 11:49 AM
Seriously...it is like 'hello, did we learn *nothing* from the TO fiasco?

It's a bit different because Vick has Tony Dungy with him, making sure he's focused on football. Hopefully, McNabb will realize that his starting spot isn't under threat. Vick was never a great quarterback. His accuracy blew back then and he's been out for 2 years, so it should have deteriorated even more.

atatu
08-14-2009, 12:09 PM
Uh, thanks? And you're showing your class with that statement?

As a loyal Eagles fan from...well, *birth* (anyone remember #88 John Spagnola?)...I'm horrified that he's been signed by the birds. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if the fans didn't respond well to him being on the team.

Unfortunately, what many others have brought up is also true...the NFL is full of criminals that get paid millions of dollars for their...'talent'.

Well since you live in the DC area, I'll tell you that if the Redskins had signed him I would have renounced my loyalty to them, which has been 40 years in the making. Can you really defend the Philly fans ? Remember when they played the Cowboys and Irvin hurt his neck, it looked like he was paralyzed, he was being carried off the field strapped to a stretcher and the Philly fans were throwing beer at him and cheering ?

ubermeyer
08-14-2009, 12:46 PM
I completely agree. There are plenty of felons, rapists, and murderers in the NFL, and other major sports for that matter. Just cause soccer moms (most who don't even watch football) are upset, this is a story. Don't even get me started about PETA. If they have their way we will never cure cancer. Give me a break.

there are murderers playing in the NFL?

PETA is an extremist organization

Lakoste
08-14-2009, 01:06 PM
Good pickup for the Eagles. I was actually hoping the Patriots would pick him up but that rumor died pretty quickly. No downside for Philly, I doubt they gave him any guaranteed money and they get a good player for the wildcat. One problem might be the Philly fans chanting Vick's name when McNabb isn't playing well...

there are murderers playing in the NFL?

I don't know if you're joking or not, but yes there are.

10sfreak
08-15-2009, 06:13 AM
The Absolute Truth!!!

10sfreak
08-15-2009, 06:20 AM
Well since you live in the DC area, I'll tell you that if the Redskins had signed him I would have renounced my loyalty to them, which has been 40 years in the making. Can you really defend the Philly fans ? Remember when they played the Cowboys and Irvin hurt his neck, it looked like he was paralyzed, he was being carried off the field strapped to a stretcher and the Philly fans were throwing beer at him and cheering ?
As a lifelong Cowboys fan, I remember that incident very well. Sorry Topaz, but really, the eagles fans, along with steelers fans, have always been the nastiest, most classless, fans I've ever seen on TV. Maybe it's a pennsylvania thing?
Of course, the above isn't meant to imply that all eagles and steelers fans are that way - just that the very worst ones seem to be fans of those two teams, IMHO.

GS
08-15-2009, 01:57 PM
The Eagles signing Vick kind of makes sense. You know he'll be booed in any stadium, but Eagles fans (the famous Boo-Birds) boo no matter what---especially when McNabb is throwing poorly. His backup? A.J. Feeley. Who? So if the once highest-paid player in the NFL is available, sign him for a year and see what happens. Once he starts throwing touchdowns, the hometown fans will cheer, somewhat. Then management can schedule a 'Dog Day Afternoon' ticket special. But once the Eagles go on the road and Vick steps on the field, watch out.
I liked the Eagle fan who protested outside their practice facility yesterday with the sign, "Hide your beagle, Vick is an Eagle."

maverick66
08-15-2009, 02:35 PM
He deserves a second chance...if Roger Goodell and the NFL feel he has paid his dues (which he has - 2 years in prison people) he has earned a shot to earn a living, and if he continues to live life the right way, no reason to hold him back when Ray Lewis is still allowed to be a face of the league.

different situation. Ray Lewis and Vicks situation is extremely different.

Im a huge dog person but seriously people need to let it go. What he did was horrible but its done with and he served his time. I have relaxed on my stance on him by quite a bit over the last few months. I will never cheer for him and will have a smile every time a linebacker gets a hold of him but let the guy play.

ollinger
08-15-2009, 04:16 PM
I wonder if there's a restraint of trade issue that might have led Vick to sue the league if they permanently banned him? Can the league indefinitely prevent him from plying his trade if they have no specific policy banning people who took a plea to a felony? Is arena football a real alternative employer?

GS
08-15-2009, 04:43 PM
The AFL (Arena Football League) went bankrupt and disbanded recently. There's a new joke in town, the UFL (United Football League), which only has a few teams and only plays for 2 months. The XFL and the USFL looked better on paper, and lasted alittle bit longer.
Otherwise, after this season, Vick's only alternative is the Canadian Football League....

latinking
08-15-2009, 09:04 PM

I agree.....

hb_hound
08-16-2009, 05:35 AM
It's a bit different because Vick has Tony Dungy with him, making sure he's focused on football. Hopefully, McNabb will realize that his starting spot isn't under threat. Vick was never a great quarterback. His accuracy blew back then and he's been out for 2 years, so it should have deteriorated even more.

Why is this not the topic of conversation in this thread. The fact that he is returning was expected.
Vick was the most over rated QB in the NFL. He is now in a position that suits him, playing backup.

jamesblakefan#1
08-16-2009, 10:08 AM
Why is this not the topic of conversation in this thread. The fact that he is returning was expected.
Vick was the most over rated QB in the NFL. He is now in a position that suits him, playing backup.

He was a QB that led teams to the playoffs, but he wasn't a great "pure" QB, as far as a dropback passer. He was a good QB, but definetly not wort the money that Atlanta paid him.

But I agree, now he's in a situation that suits him well, but no doubt that if he'd not went to jail, he'd still be a starter in the NFL, even if not in Atlanta. He's very talented, even if he's not the best passer, he was still one of the most dangerous threats in the NFL before he left.

boredone3456
08-16-2009, 10:14 AM
I knew he'd get taken by a team, he isn't the best quarterback out there but he is better than some of the quarterbacks some teams in the NFL have so its no shock. I just find it funny that Society is up in arms about it when hunting and shooting animals like Rhino's, deer, Elk and fishing for big game fish for the sole purpose of sticking their heads on a plaque on the wall is seen as overall perfectly acceptable. Yes...What Vick did to those dogs does disgust me to a degree as a dog owner and a dog lover, but I am not going to get vehement about it like some seem to.

ubermeyer
08-16-2009, 10:56 AM
I don't know if you're joking or not, but yes there are.

I'm not joking. who?