PDA

View Full Version : Tennis @ Walt Disney World Resorts

tennisnj
08-13-2009, 08:09 PM
I am going to WDW for my honeymoon on Tuesday, & I'd like to take my wife to play on clay (if possible @ the Grand Floridian Resort, where I played almost 20 years ago lol) b/c she doesn't often get a chance to play on that surface. (I do all the time in tournaments). So I have a few questions:

#1 If we plan on playing, it would only be for 60-90 minutes, so is it worth bringing 1 racquet each on the plane & dealing w/the associated baggage hassle, or just rent the gear @ the hotel? Price/cost is NOT an issue @ all.

#2 Can anyone recommend another CLAY (Red or Har-Tru) facility within WDW resort complexes? I don't want to take her to play on hardcourts only b/c we could do that @ home. We will NOT have a rental car, so anything outside the realm of WDW provided transportation is not feasible.

Thanks

mary fierce
08-14-2009, 04:30 AM
Walt Disney World for a HONEYMOON? Florida in August??

atatu
08-14-2009, 04:55 AM
Maybe you should go for your 10 year anniversary, after you've had kids. JK...as to your first question, I would take your own rackets, my experience has been that the demos/rentals at these places aren't that great.

tennisnj
08-14-2009, 06:00 AM
Um yeah---why not go to WDW for a honeymoon. We're kids @ heart, & my fiancee's never been there before. We are absolutely not beach or relaxation type people, we prefer road trips, but she wouldn't allow me to plan one for our honeymoon.
#2, yes, August, b/c that's the only time we could plan a wedding with a honeymoon to follow (I was willing to wait until my next work break for any trip). I am a teacher, so that eliminates the school year, & my summer session of tennis camp I run ended on August 6, so we had little choice. I don't want to hear anything about heat, humidity, etc., I've been there done that, it's like saying "Don't go to New Hampshire in the winter b/c there's snow on the ground." NO DUH.

Atatu, thanks for the advice, we're still weighing our options.

zapvor
08-15-2009, 10:46 AM
disney has wedding planning stuff actually. i know all the parks have like a pavillion,etc

i would bring your own rackets. i know a couple places nearby, but they are all hardcourts if i remember

tennisnj
08-16-2009, 04:56 AM
Thanks again for the advice---we're swaying towards bringing our racquets now even if its only for an hour of play. We didn't do our wedding there b/c well---we got married y'day in a traditional ceremony.

GS
08-16-2009, 07:12 AM
Yes, bring your racquets! At Disney's Grand Floridian Resort (Lake Buena Vista), they DO have clay courts. If you have a big suitcase, put your racquets in there. Otherwise, try to carry em on the plane.

dr325i
08-16-2009, 08:36 AM
First of all, knowing WDW, you should have great time there for your Honeymoon. Congrats, BTW.

Second, there should be absolutely no "hassle" bringing rackets with you (in the cabin)... I do it all the time, and most of time carrying them in my Super 6 bag... Traveled to Asia, Europe, Canada, all over the USA and NEVER had a slightest issue...

Have fun down here :)

tennisnj
08-16-2009, 08:43 AM
You guys have convinced me. I'm going to open a few cans of balls & throw them in my carry on & I'm also going to bring 2 of my older non-tournament racquets laying around that I'll bring.
GS I remember clay courts from 20 years ago @ the Grand Floridian, so based on what you said, that's where I'll be playing.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Il Mostro
08-16-2009, 09:08 AM
Mickey and Minnie costumes would be an interesting addition to the honeymoon festivities... ;-)

tennisnj
08-16-2009, 09:20 AM
LOL honestly, I am not a Disney-character fan @ all. Never had 1 as a kid either. My wife (1st time I'm typing it since y'day's wedding) is the same way. We're just kids @ heart who love amusement parks & a hustle & bustle vacation rather than an R&R destination. We're going to milk the honeymoon aspect for everything it's worth while we're there & I've been told a few times they give you a veil & top hat Mickey ears though & we're definately going to play along with any possible embarassment.

dr_punk
08-16-2009, 09:26 AM
Have tons of fun. I used to think honeymoons at WDW were a bit off, but after working there, I love every inch of it. I'm not sure I can help you out with your racquet worries, but I can tell you the grand floridian rents out ball machines (last time I checked). Have a magical trip (lol get used to hearing that), and CONGRATULATIONS.

tennisnj
08-16-2009, 11:53 AM
Dr Punk thank you for the congrats & the tip about the ball machine. That might not be a bad idea for my new wife & I. She's still a beginner (in game only, she looks like she's a pro with the $$$ outfits she made me buy her LOL), but would love to use one since I never break out the one I still have sitting @ my parents' house . Money won't be an issue b/c we have $250 in Disney g/c, so if we can use them on our tennis excursion all the better; if not, less souvenirs for everyone hehe.

GS
08-22-2009, 12:52 PM
So, how did the honeymoon and the hit go? At least it seems claycourt time at the Floridian is still free (it isn't at the other nearby Disney resort with clay).

Orion
11-02-2009, 06:26 PM
This thread is old but for anyone else courts at the Grand Floridian aren't free. I think they charged $20/hour but it was well maintained clay. Disney contracted out the courts and tennis services a few years ago. A guy named Michael was running them last time I hit on them Summer 07. There are free courts at Saratoga Springs and a few of the other Disney resorts.

To the OP congrats on the marriage hope the honeymoon was a blast.