PDA

View Full Version : Computer Advice Needed

dancraig
08-13-2009, 09:53 PM
When I insert a video CD, RosettaStone, it plays on completely blank screen. There are no Windows icons or X to close screen. I had to ctrl/alt/del to get anything else on the screen, then I had to shut down the computer. What am I doing wrong? Thank-you. Windows Vista Home Premium.

diredesire
08-13-2009, 10:09 PM
Is the program operating as intended? Are you specifically looking for a way to close it?

Can you tell me a little more about how the rosetta stone opens? Is it in a browser style window? The F11 key is often used for full screen mode, although I am pretty confident it won't solve your problem.

diredesire
08-13-2009, 10:12 PM
Also, are you on the 64 bit version?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932246 This might help, but it's entirely likely you already have it...

Taking some shots in the dark until we can narrow this down..

Edit: Also, try running as admin

Double edit: If you were to reproduce this problem, would the alt+tab combination do anything?

dancraig
08-13-2009, 10:22 PM
Is the program operating as intended? Are you specifically looking for a way to close it?

Can you tell me a little more about how the rosetta stone opens? Is it in a browser style window? The F11 key is often used for full screen mode, although I am pretty confident it won't solve your problem.

Hello Johnny:
This is the first time I have tried to play a CD on this computer. I insert the video CD, I think it is not technically a DVD, and a window opens asking if I want to run the RosettaStone, and I click on it.
Then the disk plays on a totally blank screen, all the icons disappear and nothing I do makes them reappear. The rosettastone plays properly but I can't get it off the screen. So that when the disk is finished, or I want out, there is no way to get the "rosettastone" screen to go away. And no way to shut down the computer. Nothing to click on. If I shut the lid and put the computer in sleep mode, and then reopen it the computer goes back online but the rosettastone screen is still there. The only way I have found to get rid of it is to crt/alt/del and shut down the computer. I am probably doing something wrong, or don't know some simple way of getting my desktop screen back. Any ideas. Thanks.

dancraig
08-13-2009, 10:22 PM
32 bit.....

dancraig
08-13-2009, 10:24 PM
No, it's not in a browser style window. Do you think if I hit f11 it would go into a browser stlye window, with icons showing?

parasailing
08-13-2009, 10:26 PM
Try opening explorer and see if you can click on the drive letter that is the cdrom and explore the folder. You might be able to just click on the media files and play them.

dancraig
08-13-2009, 10:28 PM
Your MS link is interesting because when I did the restart my computer installed some new updates from MS. I haven't tried it since because I am a little afraid I'll end up in the computer shop.

Deuce
08-13-2009, 10:30 PM
Have you tried double clicking (left mouse button), or a single right click, anywhere on the RosettaStone screen?

dancraig
08-13-2009, 10:33 PM
Your MS link is interesting because when I did the restart my computer downloaded some new updates from MS. I haven't tried it since because I am a little afraid I'll end up in the computer shop.

Nope, different update numbers.

dancraig
08-13-2009, 10:35 PM
Have you tried double clicking (left mouse button), or a single right click, anywhere on the RosettaStone screen?

I feel like it is probably a simple fix issue, like you suggest Deuce. I will try that and the f11 next time. Thanks to all for the help.

diredesire
08-13-2009, 10:40 PM
Since you can ctrl + alt + delete, you should have a splash screen come up, you can choose "start the task manager" and then kill the application (in the application tab, just select rosetta stone, then hit delete.

There seems to be a known compatibility issue with vista32, but i'm unsure how to fix it, since i can't run the software myself. If that compatibility pack is relatively simple to install, i'd give it a shot, you can always run a system recovery if something bad happens, and it will roll back to your settings before the update.

Feel free to shoot me an e-mail through my profile if you need help :)

Edit: As far as F11, it's just a shot in the dark, it's unlikely the rosetta stone interface is running a browser style window, but it's worth a shot. Also try alt+tabbing if you have any other windows open, it should switch back and forth between. Also make sure you try right click -> running as adminstrator if you have that option.

Deuce
08-13-2009, 10:43 PM
I feel like it is probably a simple fix issue, like you suggest Deuce. I will try that and the f11 next time. Thanks to all for the help.
I was just thinking of WinDVD... when that plays a DVD, it can open in full screen mode, with nothing else but the DVD (movie, or whatever) showing. But a double left click, or single right click, will give you several options.
Give it a try - it's fast and easy to do, and no harm can be done.

Let us know.

dancraig
08-13-2009, 10:50 PM
Since you can ctrl + alt + delete, you should have a splash screen come up, you can choose "start the task manager" and then kill the application (in the application tab, just select rosetta stone, then hit delete.

There seems to be a known compatibility issue with vista32, but i'm unsure how to fix it, since i can't run the software myself. If that compatibility pack is relatively simple to install, i'd give it a shot, you can always run a system recovery if something bad happens, and it will roll back to your settings before the update.

Feel free to shoot me an e-mail through my profile if you need help :)

Edit: As far as F11, it's just a shot in the dark, it's unlikely the rosetta stone interface is running a browser style window, but it's worth a shot. Also try alt+tabbing if you have any other windows open, it should switch back and forth between. Also make sure you try right click -> running as adminstrator if you have that option.

I recall seeing the task manager option, but was unsure and hit the red power button on the bottom right instead. Thanks for the info, I will remember it next time.
I will look back to this thread before using the rosettastone again.
Thanks again.

dancraig
08-13-2009, 10:55 PM
I was just thinking of WinDVD... when that plays a DVD, it can open in full screen mode, with nothing else but the DVD (movie, or whatever) showing. But a double left click, or single right click, will give you several options.
Give it a try - it's fast and easy to do, and no harm can be done.

Let us know.

That's how it opens, Deuce. I don't have much experience with CD/DVDs. I bought this computer in October and this is the first time I have tried playing a disk on it. I wanted to put it through the trials before the warranty runs out. I will remember your advice.
I was a little afraid I was going to have to do a hard shut down, by holding down the power button, with all the issues that can include. Next time I give it a try I will have more info and options to try.

mtommer
08-13-2009, 11:05 PM
I have to ask, is this a torrent type file or a legit CD from RosettaStone? If it is a torrent, there are known issues because of the anti-pirating measures taken.

dancraig
08-13-2009, 11:08 PM
Legit CD....

mtommer
08-13-2009, 11:12 PM
Do you have Daemon tools, Alcohol 120 or other known burning/torrenting tools installed?

dancraig
08-13-2009, 11:19 PM
No, it's pretty much the way it came from Staples.

mtommer
08-13-2009, 11:22 PM
What's the model?

mtommer
08-13-2009, 11:26 PM
Also, what is the year for the software? The newest software requires an authorization key that you have to get via phone or the internet.

chess9
08-14-2009, 06:18 AM
Try running the cd with DivX, or one of the third party video rendering clients. One of them will work.

-Robert

dancraig
08-14-2009, 01:36 PM
Maybe I just need to brush up on my keyboard shortcuts. Thanks to all that replied.

diredesire
08-14-2009, 01:38 PM
Maybe I just need to brush up on my keyboard shortcuts. Thanks to all that replied.

Of course this'll help, but the whole point is that you shouldn't have this glitch in the first place. If you're happy with the work around(s), then I think you'll be fine ;)

Is there a version number in the rosetta stone edition? Supposedly 3+ should support vista, but 2.x has problems with the 32 bit edition :(

dancraig
08-14-2009, 01:43 PM
Of course this'll help, but the whole point is that you shouldn't have this glitch in the first place. If you're happy with the work around(s), then I think you'll be fine ;)

Is there a version number in the rosetta stone edition? Supposedly 3+ should support vista, but 2.x has problems with the 32 bit edition :(

It is the Demo CD-Rom, version 3.

dancraig
08-14-2009, 01:45 PM
I'm thinking it opens in full screen mode and I didn't know the keyboard shortcuts to change the view. I'm hesitate to try again on a Friday afternoon, in case I should find myself with a unusable computer over the weekend.

diredesire
08-14-2009, 01:55 PM
alt+tab --> switch focus (if you have another program running, you can switch to it, and then the taskbar should come up, and you should be able to "right click -> close" the rosetta stone program

f11 = full screen short cut (in certain programs)

Alt + F4 = force close programs (default, but won't always do anything)

Ctrl+Alt+Del = bring up options menu
--> Go to task manager --> You can kill it via the Applications tab ("safer") or if it's being stubborn, kill it via the processes tab (you need to know the name, it's generally very obvious)

Edit: As far as having an unusuable computer, you run basically no risk. The application runs on top of the OS layer in windows, force quitting the application will not affect the OS, unless it has been programmed/compiled in a very poor way. I would estimate your risk at <1%. :)

dancraig
08-14-2009, 01:59 PM
alt+tab --> switch focus (if you have another program running, you can switch to it, and then the taskbar should come up, and you should be able to "right click -> close" the rosetta stone program

f11 = full screen short cut (in certain programs)

Alt + F4 = force close programs (default, but won't always do anything)

Ctrl+Alt+Del = bring up options menu
--> Go to task manager --> You can kill it via the Applications tab ("safer") or if it's being stubborn, kill it via the processes tab (you need to know the name, it's generally very obvious)

Edit: As far as having an unusuable computer, you run basically no risk. The application runs on top of the OS layer in windows, force quitting the application will not affect the OS, unless it has been programmed/compiled in a very poor way. I would estimate your risk at <1%. :)

Thank-you very much, Johnny.