PDA

View Full Version : soft, arm-friendly string for ProKennex Pro 7G

heninfan
08-14-2009, 05:42 PM
I'm switching to the ProKennex Pro 7G to try not to aggravate tennis elbow. I've found the Pro 7G to have good combination of power and control. I'm considering strings and am looking for soft, arm-friendly string. I intend to have the racquet strung at a tension of 58. I typically don't break strings and don't replace strings often. I've been playing with Wilson Sensation 16 for over a year. I probably will go with 17 gauge. A few strings I'm considering:

Technifibre TGV 17 (stiffness 169; tension loss 14.69)
Technifibre NRG 2 17 (stiffness 190; tension loss 9.55)
Gamma Live XP 17 (stiffness 191; tension loss 12.35)

Thanks for any advice. I'll continue to look at others' posts too.

shell
08-14-2009, 09:34 PM
I'm switching to the ProKennex Pro 7G to try not to aggravate tennis elbow. I've found the Pro 7G to have good combination of power and control. I'm considering strings and am looking for soft, arm-friendly string. I intend to have the racquet strung at a tension of 58. I typically don't break strings and don't replace strings often. I've been playing with Wilson Sensation 16 for over a year. I probably will go with 17 gauge. A few strings I'm considering:

Technifibre TGV 17 (stiffness 169; tension loss 14.69)
Technifibre NRG 2 17 (stiffness 190; tension loss 9.55)
Gamma Live XP 17 (stiffness 191; tension loss 12.35)

Thanks for any advice. I'll continue to look at others' posts too.

Heninfan, I've not played the 7G, but I have the 5G. If you are not a string breaker, and want the ultimate in arm comfort, you might consider a full set of gut. It is more expensive, but won't go dead or lose alot of tension. If you are recovering from, or trying to play through, tennis elbow, it could well be worth a little extra money.

A full set of NRG2 also feels very nice on this frame. I've not tried the TGV. I thought the Gamma felt more crisp than NRG2, but is a nice string also.

scotus
08-14-2009, 09:42 PM
When I was recovering from TE, I used Babolat VS Gut in the mains and Isospeed Professional on the cross on my PK 7G. Hard to beat that combo for arm-friendliness.

Tennis Dunce
08-15-2009, 07:12 AM
I've got to echo the sentiments on NG. A match made in heaven with the Pro Kinetic series. Although I cross with NXT so I can gut up 2 sticks (both 5g's).

Cfidave
08-15-2009, 09:37 AM
I play with the 7G. If you want to go the synthetic multi route I would highly recomend Pro Supex Maximum Touch. Great string for the price ($8.00). Plays soft, very much like NRG2. It is a very good match for the Pro 7G. I use it in a Hybrid with MSV Focus Hex in the Mains and the Pro Supex in the crosses. Very nice spin, power & comfort hybrid.... or you could do the whole racquet with Maximum Touch and have a nice comfortable setup for half the price of NRG2.

Steve Huff
08-15-2009, 03:59 PM
If you're willing to shell out $15/set, I'd get a set of Klip Legend at $27 and a set of a 17g synthetic for about $3. Put the gut in the mains. String the synthetic in the crosses at 3# lower tension. It will play like gut at about the price of a good multi. You will like it and your arm will be very appreciative of your good sense.

netman
08-16-2009, 04:02 AM
If you're willing to shell out $15/set, I'd get a set of Klip Legend at $27 and a set of a 17g synthetic for about $3. Put the gut in the mains. String the synthetic in the crosses at 3# lower tension. It will play like gut at about the price of a good multi. You will like it and your arm will be very appreciative of your good sense.

I second this setup. I tried full gut and this same hybrid and actually preferred the hybrid as it had better control for me.

schenkelini
08-16-2009, 07:05 AM
My favorite setup in the 7G is Black Magic in the mains and Gosen micro in the crosses at 56/58 both in 17g. It is easy on the arm and offers a lot of control.

The_Question
08-17-2009, 06:55 AM
I recommend natural gut as well. Titan Natural Gut is not flash like Babolat, Prince, or Wilson, but it is cheap and worth a try...