PDA

View Full Version : Gaucho Natural Gut String Review (photos included)

Pages : [1] 2 3

drakulie
08-15-2009, 07:32 PM
Hi Everyone. As promised, from my post in the Global Natural Gut Thread, here is a quick review of the Gaucho Natural Gut Strings I mentioned in that thread.

They come in blue, black, and natural. Strings are also offered in a "spiral" color, ala the old Victor Imperial strings, which I feel is a great touch, and going back to the more "artistic" side of string manufacturing. I have spoken to one of their representatives, and they are in the process of adding several colors to their line, including orange, red, blue, yellow, etc. Some of these will come with the "spiral" effect. The strings are $14.00 per set. Each set of strings comes in two pieces (approx 22' long). My set came packaged in a sealed foil (seen in photos below). Also Included was a nice letter with Gaucho logo, along with a stamp/crescent (seen in photos). The strings came directly from the US, so unlike Global Gut, the shipping was much quicker.

I ordered the strings on Wednesday, and received them today in the mail. I immediately opened up the package and after reviewing the strings, and inspecting them, went to stringing my frame. The set I received is a blue spiral, with a greyish undertone, at 16 gauge. The gauge is more closer to a 15L. The string, although not as consistent as babolat VS along the entire length, is along the same lines as the Global. It is also not as well coated as the Babolat, where the VS is extremely smooth to the touch, however, the coating is very good, and covers the entire string. It is also not as dry/brittle as the Gloabal, and seems to be better oiled/produced.

Being that I want to demo the string twice, at different tesnions, I decided to go with a hybird (gaucho in mains, and lux in crosses), strung at 60 lbs. After a nice pre-stretch, I easily strung the gaucho in the mains, and after wards waxed the mains just a bit, in order to complete the crosses. Absolutley no problems stringing, including completing the last mains and tying off, or tying off the crosses. Everything went super smooth.

I have to say, the strings look cool in the kps88. I even decided to go "rock & roll", and do a black "W" stencil. (hope it makes me look mean tomorrow on the courts). After I hit the courts, I'll come back here and do a review of the on-court performance.

Here are the photos:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v736/drakulie/CIMG9765.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v736/drakulie/CIMG9732.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v736/drakulie/CIMG9721.jpg

drakulie
08-15-2009, 07:33 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v736/drakulie/CIMG9712.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v736/drakulie/CIMG9748.jpg

Racquet: KPS88.
Tension: 60 lbs
Hybrid: Gaucho Gut 16g mains, Lux Alu Power Crosses
Surface: Har tru

Here are my **initial thoughts** on the string after a two hour intense hitting session.

My hitting partner today was an ex junior champion from England. He is just getting back into the game after a long layoff. Hits with heavy spin off both wings, two handed backhand. Excellent pace on serve, with heavy spin, and great slice. We spent an hour drilling (FH, BH, down the lines, cross courts, volleying,, etc.) Our second hour was spent playing tie breaks, and half court tennis.

Initial impressions. The gaucho natural gut string performs in the same manner as gut is supposed to. First and foremost, it is not only more comfortable to hit with than any synthectic, but also produces more power/spin. I was finding it very easy to produce power on all strokes (fh,bh, serves, slice). In my hitting session today, I actually had to adjust my strokes a bit, because shots were tending to fly a bit long on me. Please note, I typically string in the 65 range, and this problem I believe would easily be remedied by stringing a little tighter. I felt like shots were just getting away because of the more springier/livelier feel the string produces on the string bed. That said, shortening up on my swing, and brushing just a tad more, gave shots more spin, and therefore much more action to have them drop in the court deep, and producing a heavier ball.

As mentioned above, the spin produced is very good, and with the added bonus of power the string produces, this resulted in very heavy shots. Along with the added power on groundies, my serves were also flying off the racquet with great pace, and second serve's were getting great action as a result of the spin. My opponent stated my second serves were really jumping off the court, and were very hard to attack with offensive returns. Although I was enjoying the relative ease to produce pace and spin, again, I was having a bit of problems with my control and placement. Once again, I believe stringing a bit tighter will take care of this. The string, in all areas magnified the power of this already powerful frame.

All important feel: feel with the string, as I said earlier was very comfortable. Not as crisp as Babolat, BDE, etc, however, a nice balance of a solid feel, combined with a comfortable like response delivered back to your hand at contact. Best way to describe it is to compare it to one's preference in bed mattresses. Some of us like a soft cushioned feel that "swallows" us when we lay down, where as some like a stiffer feel. This string is in between. That said, the string definitely, in the kps88, enriched the feel of the frame in every aspect.

The string tension after a night sitting in my bag, and two hours of hitting, has retained it's tension. It also has zero signs of fraying/sawing. Please note, this is only based on two hours of hitting, but all in all, I could at this point give the string two thumbs up, and look forward to hitting the courts tomorrow to continue trying out the string.

Pros: A good balance between soft/crisp. Above average power, above average spin. Excellent feedback to the hand at contact.

Cons: extra power produced by very lively string bed was hard to control, so will have to string a bit tighter. Of course, this is not necessarily a "con"/bad thing, but the string for me, is much too powerful. Again, this is easily remedied by stinging tighter at my preferred tension if this natural gut could take the stress of being string in the mid 60 range.

Thanks for reading the review, and stay tuned as I will provide a daily update of the string until it snaps. I have another two hour hitting session scheudled tomorrow, and then will be hitting on Tuesday with an ex-satellite player.

Let me know if you have any questions. Hope you all have enjoyed the review, as much as I have completing it, and trying out the string.

Second Review:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=3818690&postcount=63

Third day of hitting:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=3823967&postcount=97

Fourth day of hitting:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=3826486&postcount=110

Fifth Day of hitting (strings snap):
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=3831759&postcount=154

drakulie
08-15-2009, 07:36 PM
Old set of Victor Imperial:

http://www.woodtennis.com/strings/victorstringcan1.jpg

skyzoo
08-15-2009, 07:36 PM
This may come out rookie-ish, but what did you wax them with?

dincuss
08-15-2009, 07:40 PM
Better or worse than Global? performance wise.

drakulie
08-15-2009, 07:48 PM
This may come out rookie-ish, but what did you wax them with?

I use a regular household candle, and gently rub the mains to wax them.

Better or worse than Global? performance wise.

Not sure if you read the OP, but I have yet to play with them. I just finished stringing the frame, taking photos, and starting the thread. Will let you know tomorrow after I hit the courts.

dincuss
08-15-2009, 07:55 PM
Not sure if you read the OP, but I have yet to play with them. I just finished stringing the frame, taking photos, and starting the thread. Will let you know tomorrow after I hit the courts.

I am sorry,:oops:
Second time thats happened to me today:(

I though you had tried them because you had strung one full job and then a hybrid....

my bad.

dincuss
08-15-2009, 07:57 PM
Btw the Victor imperial tin can, does that "seal" the nat gut, like it would in the bags the nat gut comes in?

scotus
08-15-2009, 09:38 PM
Never heard of this gut, yet they say they have been in business for a long time.

I would not be surprised if this company is none other than Global Gut or a company affiliated with Global Gut.

Their FAQ states that their guts are manufactured in South America and ... drum roll please ... India.

drakulie
08-15-2009, 09:59 PM
Never heard of this gut, yet they say they have been in business for a long time.

I would not be surprised if this company is none other than Global Gut or a company affiliated with Global Gut.

Their FAQ states that their guts are manufactured in South America and ... drum roll please ... India.

I posted this in the Global thread, when I first found the string:

Has anyone tried Gaucho Natural Strings? They sell sets for $14.00. Come in blue, black, and natural.

I emailed them, and the rep who emailed me back said they operate a "co-manufacture" plant with Emerson Corp. He also stated the packaging, raw materials, capital equilment are all shared, except that they operate separately in the facility. He added thatthey would be adding the following colors to their line: (orange, green, aqua)

dancraig
08-15-2009, 10:07 PM

scotus
08-15-2009, 10:28 PM
I posted this in the Global thread, when I first found the string:

Thanks.

The Global thread has grown so long, I don't bother reading it much.

nethawkwenatchee
08-15-2009, 10:59 PM
drakulie, thanks for the info! I'll try some.

some6uy008
08-16-2009, 01:44 AM
Definitely looking forward to your review of the strings. It'll be interesting to see how they compared to Global gut and if there is any different play at all.

strongman
08-16-2009, 05:45 AM
That's so great! waiting for your court performance w/ Gaucho strings

hoodjem
08-16-2009, 06:17 AM
$14 for a set.?!

Looking forward to your performance review.

Kot_Bigemot
08-16-2009, 06:53 AM

OMG! Where did you get that stuff from man? Have not seen it in decades.
One question comes to mind - are really that old :twisted: ? Joke.

Steve F.
08-16-2009, 06:54 AM
Thanks for taking the time to post all this info! :) Very curious how they'll play - I wasn't really a fan of GG, but your description suggests these may be a notch above. Good looking string, too - I'm a sucker for the old spiral design.

I will leave remarks on you hoarding the key to Tilden's balls untyped. :twisted:

How much was shipping to CONUS btw? Just wondering if there's an unusual markup there. Thanks again -

schenkelini
08-16-2009, 06:59 AM
Me too. I can't wait to read your review. I just strung up my first set of GG last night and am looking forward to trying them. I think though if I Gaucho plays anywhere close to GG that I will find the option of being able to buy just a couple of sets at a time very appealing.

Tennis Dunce
08-16-2009, 10:03 AM
Would be much more relevant if you just strung a full bed with this stuff...instead of crossing it with a poly!:confused:

I mean its only like 14 bucks right!?:confused:

Anyway, I anticipate tour reviews.:)

rozzman
08-16-2009, 12:47 PM
According to gaucho's website the strings are made in Uruguay and India. It's funny how I -living in Uruguay- can't find them in any store. More over, I've never heard of them until today.

On a side note, in Uruguay there are not buffalos. That's a fact

diamondgeezer
08-16-2009, 01:44 PM
Drakulie, thanks very much for the info. I've been playing with some GG for a while and I like it, but if I will definitely give this a whirl.

Long live Gaucho and Global Gut!

bsandy
08-16-2009, 02:03 PM

Remember . . . We are talking about Asian Water Buffalo not American Bison.

Asian Water Buffalo have been imported to South America -- Not sure about Uruaguay.

. . . Bud

rozzman
08-16-2009, 02:43 PM
Remember . . . We are talking about Asian Water Buffalo not American Bison.

Asian Water Buffalo have been imported to South America -- Not sure about Uruaguay.

. . . Bud

It hasn't been imported here, I'm certain about it. We have lots of cows and sheeps though, but again, according their website, they have one of their factories here in Uruguay, and the strings are made of buffalo. Those 2 things can't be both true.

I just send them an email and will post back when I get an answer.

-Javier

Mansewerz
08-16-2009, 02:47 PM
How much was shipping drak? I'm pretty interested in trying this stuff out.

dancraig
08-16-2009, 02:51 PM
It hasn't been imported here, I'm certain about it. We have lots of cows and sheeps though, but again, according their website, they have one of their factories here in Uruguay, and the strings are made of buffalo. Those 2 things can't be both true.

I just send them an email and will post back when I get an answer.

-Javier

Couldn't the animal products be imported to Uruguay?

Il Mostro
08-16-2009, 02:56 PM
Couldn't the animal products be imported to Uraguay?

Uruguay is one country definitely not in need of importing beef. They have enough cattle that do not make it to the parilla to supply a massive amount of serosa. Not that they'd eat the serosa :-) Maybe using India for the facility and dirt cheap labor?

Il Mostro
08-16-2009, 03:00 PM
According to gaucho's website the strings are made in Uruguay and India. It's funny how I -living in Uruguay- can't find them in any store. More over, I've never heard of them until today.

Are there any natural gut brands produced and sold in Uruguay?

dancraig
08-16-2009, 03:06 PM
Uruguay is one country definitely not in need of importing beef. They have enough cattle that do not make it to the parilla to supply a massive amount of serosa. Not that they'd eat the serosa :-) Maybe using India for the facility and dirt cheap labor?

Couldn't the buffalo serosa be imported, a few miles down the road, into Uruguay?
That way, you could have string produced from buffalo in Uruguay, even if there are no buffalo in Uruguay

rozzman
08-16-2009, 03:31 PM

Exactly.

And (in the hypothetical case that Uruguay would import cattle, which it doesn't) If you were to start a company it doesn't make any sense do it on a place when you have to import the feedstock. In their website they state Gaucho Strings began operations in Uruguay in 2001

Are there any natural gut brands produced and sold in Uruguay?

There's no natural gut produced here and I haven't found a store that sells NG here. In general, you won't find much variety on strings in Uruguay. Remember is a 3rd world country and few people here can afford a $ 30 set of string

Couldn't the buffalo serosa be imported, a few miles down the road, into Uruguay?
That way, you could have string produced from buffalo in Uruguay, even if there are no buffalo in Uruguay

As Il Mostro said, Uruguay doesn't import beef. We export it. That's just not happening

Il Mostro
08-16-2009, 03:32 PM
But why would you want or need buffalo (other than making buffala mozzarella)? :-) Gut is historically produced from cows and steers, no? I don't quite get the whole "buffalo" thing. I think this company might be based in Uruguay in name only.

dancraig
08-16-2009, 03:57 PM
But why would you want or need buffalo (other than making buffala mozzarella)? :-) Gut is historically produced from cows and steers, no? I don't quite get the whole "buffalo" thing. I think this company might be based in Uruguay in name only.

I wonder if they realize how much potential business is riding on the outcome of this thread.
I hope it plays out well for them. I'd like to have a source for decent gut at a lower price without having to order from the other side of the planet.

Il Mostro
08-16-2009, 04:30 PM
I wonder if they realize how much potential business is riding on the outcome of this thread.
I hope it plays out well for them. I'd like to have a source for decent gut at a lower price without having to order from the other side of the planet.

I am going to order a few sets to try out. Hopefully this can be strung at higher tensions than GG and is more true to the advertised gauge. Based strictly on Drak's pics, the finish certainly looks to be of higher quality. My wife and I are planning on being in Montevideo in December/January so maybe I'll put the manufacturer on the spot and ask where their offices/facility are located. Pretty easy to see if there is a *there* there between mate and asado fixes.;-)

If it is good, I don't care where it comes from.

Edit: By "GG" I meant Global.

LafayetteHitter
08-16-2009, 04:38 PM
Drakulie, please excuse me if it's been posted here and I missed it but how were the shipping charges? Was it pretty efficient sending the email request for the order and then having them send the Paypal invoice? I am going to order some of the blue for my AG100's tonight.

LafayetteHitter
08-16-2009, 04:40 PM

Honestly if it's good quality natural gut at a reasonable price I have no worries about the details. Since I lost the ability to get my fave BDE Perf I could care less if it comes from Buffalo on the moon.

dancraig
08-16-2009, 04:41 PM
I am going to order a few sets to try out. Hopefully this can be strung at higher tensions than GG and is more true to the advertised gauge. Based strictly on Drak's pics, the finish certainly looks to be of higher quality. My wife and I are planning on being in Montevideo in December/January so maybe I'll put the manufacturer on the spot and ask where their offices/facility are located. Pretty easy to see if there is a *there* there between mate and asado fixes.;-)

Edit: By "GG" I meant Global.

Could it be that the cow serosa in Uruguay is not of the type fit for tennis string, so they import the buffalo serosa from another location in South America?

Il Mostro
08-16-2009, 04:45 PM
Could it be that the cow serosa in Uruguay is not of the type fit for tennis string, so they import the buffalo serosa from another location in South America?

I really have no clue about that. All I know is that raising cattle is a primary "industry" there. Hopefully this turns out to be a viable alternative to the "arm & a leg" gut I am now using.

dancraig
08-16-2009, 04:54 PM
I really have no clue about that. All I know is that raising cattle is a primary "industry" there. Hopefully this turns out to be a viable alternative to the "arm & a leg" gut I am now using.

I was just trying to create a scenario that considers the fact that the website says the string is produced from buffalo in Uruguay and the OP says there are no buffalo in Uruguay, but plenty of cows.
I don't care either. If you order, let us know what's up.

rozzman
08-16-2009, 05:40 PM

If it's good I don't care either. Just want to let you guys know that the information they give on their website is most likely false, so they may be unreliable

I am going to order a few sets to try out. Hopefully this can be strung at higher tensions than GG and is more true to the advertised gauge. Based strictly on Drak's pics, the finish certainly looks to be of higher quality. My wife and I are planning on being in Montevideo in December/January so maybe I'll put the manufacturer on the spot and ask where their offices/facility are located.

I just send them an email asking how can I get them in Uruguay.

BTW, if you're planning to come to Montevideo on the summer you may want to visit Punta del Este. It just 2 hours away from Montevideo and it has very nice beaches. Let me know if you need some tips about places to go and stuff.

And if you got some spare time when you come we can hit the courts.

-Javier

Il Mostro
08-16-2009, 05:53 PM
^^^^^
Just sent my request for Pay Pal invoice. Not to be a misanthrope, but you have to wonder how many facilities exist to manufacture natural gut. It is not as simple a process as gutting a herd of bovine creatures and twisting their in***** into string.

To the best of my knowledge, there are such facilities in France and Down Under. A precious few, at that. We know about the cheap-gut option from South Asia.

Now, if in fact there were an established facility in Uruguay, wouldn't you think that this would be a known product in neighboring Argentina and Chile, both tennis hotbeds, at the very least?

Pure and wild speculation on my part, but what keeps someone from having Emerson produce product to their specs, improving the packaging and giving it a "name with a story"?

Kot_Bigemot
08-16-2009, 05:59 PM
^^^^^
Just sent my request for Pay Pal invoice. Not to be a misanthrope, but you have to wonder how many facilities exist to manufacture natural gut. It is not as simple a process as gutting a herd of bovine creatures and twisting their in***** into string.

To the best of my knowledge, there are such facilities in France and Down Under. A precious few, at that. We know about the cheap-gut option from South Asia.

Now, if in fact there were an established facility in Uruguay, wouldn't you think that this would be a known product in neighboring Argentina and Chile, both tennis hotbeds, at the very least?

Pure and wild speculation on my part, but what keeps someone from having Emerson produce product to their specs, improving the packaging and giving it a "name with a story"?
I think you are right. This Gaucho gut is nothing but a new version of Emerson. Or just same Emerson with new story.
I am not ordering. I still have some GG but, currently using VS and i like it a lot. For the price i paid for this VS, it would be a crime to use something else :)

drakulie
08-16-2009, 06:03 PM

Here are my **initial thoughts** on the string after a two hour intense hitting session.

My hitting partner today was an ex junior champion from England. He is just getting back into the game after a long layoff. Hits with heavy spin off both wings, two handed backhand. Excellent pace on serve, with heavy spin, and great slice. We spent an hour drilling (FH, BH, down the lines, cross courts, volleying,, etc.) Our second hour was spent playing tie breaks, and half court tennis.

Initial impressions. The gaucho natural gut string performs in the same manner as gut is supposed to. First and foremost, it is not only more comfortable to hit with than any synthectic, but also produces more power/spin. I was finding it very easy to produce power on all strokes (fh,bh, serves, slice). In my hitting session today, I actually had to adjust my strokes a bit, because shots were tending to fly a bit long on me. Please note, I typically string in the 65 range, and this problem I believe would easily be remedied by stringing a little tighter. I felt like shots were just getting away because of the more springier/livelier feel the string produces on the string bed. That said, shortening up on my swing, and brushing just a tad more, gave shots more spin, and therefore much more action to have them drop in the court deep, and producing a heavier ball.

As mentioned above, the spin produced is very good, and with the added bonus of power the string produces, this resulted in very heavy shots. Along with the added power on groundies, my serves were also flying off the racquet with great pace, and second serve's were getting great action as a result of the spin. My opponent stated my second serves were really jumping off the court, and were very hard to attack with offensive returns. Although I was enjoying the relative ease to produce pace and spin, again, I was having a bit of problems with my control and placement. Once again, I believe stringing a bit tighter will take care of this. The string, in all areas magnified the power of this already powerful frame.

All important feel: feel with the string, as I said earlier was very comfortable. Not as crisp as Babolat, BDE, etc, however, a nice balance of a solid feel, combined with a comfortable like response delivered back to your hand at contact. Best way to describe it is to compare it to one's preference in bed mattresses. Some of us like a soft cushioned feel that "swallows" us when we lay down, where as some like a stiffer feel. This string is in between. That said, the string definitely, in the kps88, enriched the feel of the frame in every aspect.

The string tension after a night sitting in my bag, and two hours of hitting, has retained it's tension. It also has zero signs of fraying/sawing. Please note, this is only based on two hours of hitting, but all in all, I could at this point give the string two thumbs up, and look forward to hitting the courts tomorrow to continue trying out the string.

Pros: A good balance between soft/crisp. Above average power, above average spin. Excellent feedback to the hand at contact.

Cons: extra power produced by very lively string bed was hard to control, so will have to string a bit tighter. Of course, this is not necessarily a "con"/bad thing, but the string for me, is much too powerful. Again, this is easily remedied by stinging tighter at my preferred tension if this natural gut could take the stress of being string in the mid 60 range.

Thanks for reading the review, and stay tuned as I will provide a daily update of the string until it snaps. I have another two hour hitting session scheudled tomorrow, and then will be hitting on Tuesday with an ex-satellite player.

Let me know if you have any questions. Hope you all have enjoyed the review, as much as I have completing it, and trying out the string.

drakulie
08-16-2009, 06:10 PM
rozzman, il mostro, and all the others, please read the following, which I provided in post # 10 of this thread, and perhaps it will answer many of your questions:

I emailed them, and the rep who emailed me back said they operate a "co-manufacture" plant with Emerson Corp. He also stated the packaging, raw materials, capital equilment are all shared, except that they operate separately in the facility. He added thatthey would be adding the following colors to their line: (orange, green, aqua)

drakulie
08-16-2009, 06:15 PM
Many of you have asked how much the shipping is. I think this question would be better answered by, Gaucho, because the cost of shipping and handling will depend on where you live, how many sets you are ordering, etc. In my case I received one set, and the cost of shipping and handling via usps prority mail was less then $5.00.

One more thing, whether this string is manufactured by, Emerson or not, IMO it plays much better than any of the Global Gut String I have tried, and I prefer it's performance (so far) much more. Still, it is early, and again please keep in mind this is only one set of string I have received.

Il Mostro
08-16-2009, 06:25 PM
rozzman, il mostro, and all the others, please read the following, which I provided in post # 10 of this thread, and perhaps it will answer many of your questions:

Then why the story about also making string in Uruguay? To justify the name? Since these guys are obviously quite small, it is a good bet that despite their claim of a "shared facility", Emerson is simply acting as a contract manufacturer. Maintaining their own staff and sharing a facility with what appears to be a more established company doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Why Emerson would share a facility rather than just produce product for Gaucho is an entirely new discussion. I think these guys are very "creative", if you know what I mean.

Anyway, it sounds quite decent based on your play-test. I am hopeful that the QC is better than the early GG I tried. I know I will not find $14 string to replace my VS Team, but I would be thrilled to find something that works well for the price on my "peripheral" racquets. This could be perfect for those that I play infrequently -- with gut's tension maintenance I know I can just pick up the racquet and go hit.

Edit: Encouraging that you strung it at 60 lbs. -- what type of machine did you use?

drakulie
08-16-2009, 06:29 PM
^^Those are all great questions, and perhaps someone from the company will see/read this thread and chime in.

For me, I could care less where/whom manufactured the string, as long as it performs. And, so far, and I know it is early, I'll spend 14.00 or even the $12 on Globlal, before I give babolat $42.00.

Additionally, absolutely love the "spiral" look, not offered by any other maker of natural gut I know of. Takes me back to my earlier playing days. :)

Just my two cents.

Il Mostro
08-16-2009, 06:38 PM
^^^^
The string *does* have a great appearance. What type of machine did you use to pull 60 lbs? I had to stay in the very low 50's to keep GG intact on a CP, even at low speed.

strongman
08-16-2009, 06:39 PM
Did they charge for $5 for shipping?
If so, that's very reasonable shipping fee. GG seems charging about $20. expensiive and slow from india

drakulie
08-16-2009, 06:46 PM
^^^^
The string *does* have a great appearance. What type of machine did you use to pull 60 lbs? I had to stay in the very low 50's to keep GG intact on a CP, even at low speed.

Yes, the strings look sweeeeet. BTW, even though they look like black spiral, they are actually a navy blue, which I noticed when playing under the sun today. :)

I currently use a Ekteleon Neos. I've strung a full set of the 17 g Global Gut at 65 with no problems. Here is a video I did, when after reading about so many people snapping those strings, I felt would help. From reading their posts, I suspsected many posters had never strung gut, and were stringing it the same way they string synthetics/poly, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpfwDvF3Buk

Most people (not directing this at you), really have no experience, or have never been properly taught how to string gut, which is very sensitive, and must be handled differently than other strings.

strongman, yes, it was less than $5.00. The strings were shipped from New Jersey to Ft. Lauderdale.

Cheers.

Il Mostro
08-16-2009, 07:04 PM
I have the very early GG in the clear plastic wrappers which I bought for next to nothing on an Australian auction site. I know that GG's specified tension was not high at all and I over-shot it. It did not come in 17 g at that time either -- marked 16g, but was between 15 and 15L depending on what portion of the string I was working with. The coating on the black was definitely better than the natural. I gave samples to two other experienced stringers and it snapped on both of them (they both also use electronic CP's and pulled at low speed). GG definitely did not like 59 lbs on my CP machine, but is trouble-free at lower tension. I am certain I will be safe starting 55/56 lbs based on your experience with Gaucho. I'll post a follow up once it gets here. Thanks for all your input on this subject Drak.

P.S. Cool (and very collectable ) can of balls with "Stumpfinger" on it. ;-)

scotus
08-16-2009, 07:20 PM
Yes, the strings look sweeeeet. BTW, even though they look like black spiral, they are actually a navy blue, which I noticed when playing under the sun today. :)

I currently use a Ekteleon Neos. I've strung a full set of the 17 g Global Gut at 65 with no problems. Here is a video I did, when after reading about so many people snapping those strings, I felt would help. From reading their posts, I suspsected many posters had never strung gut, and were stringing it the same way they string synthetics/poly, etc.

Most people (not directing this at you), really have no experience, or have never been properly taught how to string gut, which is very sensitive, and must be handled differently than other strings.

strongman, yes, it was less than $5.00. The strings were shipped from New Jersey to Ft. Lauderdale.

Cheers.

Although a more careful technique certainly helps, it is not all about technique.

I snapped 2 sets of GG on my old dropweight machine with a linear gripper, but 2 sets from the same batch did not snap on my new Stringway machine with a clam shell gripper. Same technique, just different machines.

And since we are on the subject, I should mention that even on my old machine, I never snapped a Babolat VS 16 Gauge or even Klip Legend 17 gauge. It is just the cheap guts like Global and Grand Slam that keep snapping.

Bud
08-16-2009, 08:23 PM

Nice review, Drak.

Was this the spiral black (navy) gut?

Il Mostro
08-17-2009, 05:11 AM
Here's the response from Luis regarding the Uruguay/India relationship. I asked whether I could tell which strings were made in Uruguay versus India...

4) Our manufacturing facility in Uruguay produces the custom inks and polythene coating for the strings. The facility in India manufactures the strings with the raw materials and inks/coatings, so the strings are one and the same.

I ordered 3 spiral red (to match my Tecnifibre's) and one each of black and natural. I want to compare the latter two to GG.

drakulie
08-17-2009, 05:32 AM
Although a more careful technique certainly helps, it is not all about technique.

I snapped 2 sets of GG on my old dropweight machine with a linear gripper, but 2 sets from the same batch did not snap on my new Stringway machine with a clam shell gripper. Same technique, just different machines.

And since we are on the subject, I should mention that even on my old machine, I never snapped a Babolat VS 16 Gauge or even Klip Legend 17 gauge. It is just the cheap guts like Global and Grand Slam that keep snapping.

Not to argue, but oddly enough, the last set of strings that snapped on my machine, were a set of Babolat VS. They were being string by a friend, whom I consider to be a much better stringer than I, and oon the last cross, **SNAP**!. However, I do agree, it isn't always about technique.

I do however, strongly feel, that many of the strings that have snapped on posters, were due to pilot error. Let's face it, many of them are home stringers whom don't have experience stringing gut, and more importantly, have never been taught or learned how to string gut properly. Being that the newer guts are all so well coated, people have been spoiled and "getting away" with being able to string natural gut in the same manner they string synthetics.

Nice review, Drak.

Was this the spiral black (navy) gut?

Bud, thanks! This gut is a blue spiral. It is a very dark navy blue, which is why it looks black in the photos.

Here's the response from Luis regarding the Uruguay/India relationship. I asked whether I could tell which strings were made in Uruguay versus India...

4) Our manufacturing facility in Uruguay produces the custom inks and polythene coating for the strings. The facility in India manufactures the strings with the raw materials and inks/coatings, so the strings are one and the same.

I ordered 3 spiral red (to match my Tecnifibre's) and one each of black and natural. I want to compare the latter two to GG.

Il Mostro, thanks for providing us with this information, and following up. Please post your feedback when you receive the string. The red spiral in the technifibre should look pretty sweet, and hopefully perform well.

The_Question
08-17-2009, 06:51 AM
Very interesting, sounds like this is an alternative to the Titan I've been using.

Thank you for the great review!!

LafayetteHitter
08-17-2009, 11:42 AM
Wow, I have a feeling this will end up being a LONG thread over time. I just placed my order for the blue to install in my AG100's.

Steve Huff
08-17-2009, 01:40 PM
Drak, shoot me an email if you could. stmt@comcast.net

Supracool94
08-17-2009, 01:51 PM
I e-mailed them this morning about getting two sets of the red colored gut, now I'm just waiting for their reply.

Bud
08-17-2009, 02:57 PM
I'm going to order a few sets of this spiral-colored natural gut, as well. I love the retro look :)

Lakers4Life
08-17-2009, 04:39 PM

Great Review Drak, I'm sold. I saw an ad in criagslist, and was curious. I was bit doubtful since it's $14 a set for nat gut. I used to play with VS gut, and loved it. I want to get a set. If I remember the Gaucho ad, it said $5 shipping, mulitple sets does not pay extra shipping. USPS flat rate shipping I assume.

Someone gave me a set of Klipper USA natural gut 16. The package was dusty and it was not sealed very well. Can natural gut dry out?

drakulie
08-17-2009, 05:57 PM
Wow, I have a feeling this will end up being a LONG thread over time. I just placed my order for the blue to install in my AG100's.

I e-mailed them this morning about getting two sets of the red colored gut, now I'm just waiting for their reply.

I'm going to order a few sets of this spiral-colored

natural gut, as well. I love the retro look :)

Great Review Drak, I'm sold. I saw an ad in criagslist, and was curious. I was bit doubtful since it's $14 a set for nat gut. I used to play with VS gut, and loved it. I want to get a set. If I remember the Gaucho ad, it said $5 shipping, mulitple sets does not pay extra shipping. USPS flat rate shipping I assume.

Someone gave me a set of Klipper USA natural gut 16. The package was dusty and it was not sealed very well. Can natural gut dry out?

Lafayette, Supra, Bud, Lakers4life, let us know your experience and share your thoughts.

I agree, the retro looks very nice. I really like the look of the strings.

dancraig
08-17-2009, 06:07 PM
Can natural gut dry out?

Affirmative

drakulie
08-17-2009, 06:13 PM
Hit today for 2 hours. First hour was spent drilling, and second hour we played a set. String performed very well, and is holding it's tension. No tension loss. The gut feels really good, and is showing zero signs of fraying.

Still has great power/spin/feel. I actually was hitting much better today than yesterday. As you may recall from my first review, I was having some problems controlling the extra pop the string provides. That coupled with stringing it at a lower tension that I am accustomed to, was resulting in the ball getting away from me.

Today was a different story. The adjustments I made have resulted in better control with the added spin and heavier ball. Second serves is where I'm most enjoying the string. Kickers today were really moving, and getting great height, with a fairly good amount of pace.

One more thing I would like to note. Being that this is natural gut, which tends to get very "testy" in certain weather conditions or surfaces, I wanted to report that the heat/humidity in Ft. Lauderdale has had no negative effect on the string. Additionally, playing on clay (har-tru) has also had no negative effect on the string.

So far, a little over 4 hours of playing. Including a little over 3 hours of heavy drilling, in addition to playing several tie breaks, one set, and half-court tennis. Again, no fraying.

Tomorrow, I have yet another hit scheduled with an ex-satellite player, and will continue to give daily updates until the string snaps.

Pwned
08-17-2009, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the review. Bought two sets. Sounds much better than GG so far.

Lefty78
08-17-2009, 06:30 PM
Hit today for 2 hours. First hour was spent drilling, and second hour we played a set. String performed very well, and is holding it's tension. No tension loss. The gut feels really good, and is showing zero signs of fraying.

Still has great power/spin/feel. I actually was hitting much better today than yesterday. As you may recall from my first review, I was having some problems controlling the extra pop the string provides. That coupled with stringing it at a lower tension that I am accustomed to, was resulting in the ball getting away from me.

Today was a different story. The adjustments I made have resulted in better control with the added spin and heavier ball. Second serves is where I'm most enjoying the string. Kickers today were really moving, and getting great height, with a fairly good amount of pace.

One more thing I would like to note. Being that this is natural gut, which tends to get very "testy" in certain weather conditions or surfaces, I wanted to report that the heat/humidity in Ft. Lauderdale has had no negative effect on the string. Additionally, playing on clay (har-tru) has also had no negative effect on the string.

So far, a little over 4 hours of playing. Including a little over 3 hours of heavy drilling, in addition to playing several tie breaks, one set, and half-court tennis. Again, no fraying.

Tomorrow, I have yet another hit scheduled with an ex-satellite player, and will continue to give daily updates until the string snaps.

So will you be switching from Global???

drakulie
08-17-2009, 06:51 PM
So will you be switching from Global???

Funny that you ask this. To be perfectly honest, when I broke the last set I had on my kps88, I stopped playing with the 88 for a while. I've been stringing so much for other people, I didn't have the energy to string the 88. LOL. Anyway, I started playing with whatever racquet I had with strings in it. First, the microgel prestige (strung with poly), and when that broke, I started playing with a POG, which was strung with kevlar/hybrid. Lastly, when that broke, I started playing with a radical trisys 260 mp (strung with ashaway kevlar hybrid). You get the point.

Anyway, I got some time to finally string my own frame, and was using a full luxilon big banger alu power spin set up at 65. Love it!!!

However, still love trying out new stuff, so had found this string and wanted to give it a review/tryout. So far, IMO, it outperforms the Global, although the last batch I received of the Global (17 gauge), was/is very, very good, especially consideringthe price. I still have a few sets left, so will continue to use the global, and now this string until I finally settle on one or the other.

One other note: I have strung the global for a few customers, and they love it, so I am sure when I introduce this string, they will have the same reaction. they definitely love not having to shell out 40 bucks for VS babolat.

purple-n-gold
08-17-2009, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the stringing instruction,will come in handy. The blue spiral gaucho is the heat! Nice BH btw Drak.

LafayetteHitter
08-17-2009, 07:49 PM
Just finished my order for some Gaucho, they were out of blue had to order natural

Lakers4Life
08-17-2009, 07:52 PM
Affirmative

Yikes! I'll remember to cross myself before stringing it.:???:

Bud
08-17-2009, 07:56 PM

Man, I recall those old metal tennis ball cans with the key on top :)

Does that Victor Imperial state 25 ft. of 14 gauge?

drakulie
08-18-2009, 05:21 AM
Thanks for the stringing instruction,will come in handy. The blue spiral gaucho is the heat! Nice BH btw Drak.

Thanks. Glad the video tip is helping you and others. Also, thanks for the kudos on the BH>>>>> I'm still working on it. :) Let us know how you like the Gaucho when you are able to playtest it.

Just finished my order for some Gaucho, they were out of blue had to order natural

Definitely let us know what sting you receive and your experience.

Man, I recall those old metal tennis ball cans with the key on top :)

Does that Victor Imperial state 25 ft. of 14 gauge?

Bud, although I don't recall the metal cans with the key, I do remember the cans were aluminum (not clear plastic like today). I do however remember the Imperial Gut strings. Use to come in cans, or plastic bags. Team I played for received them in large bunhces.

BTW, that photo was not taken by me. It is form the Woodtennis website. (sorry for the confusion.) :)

v205
08-18-2009, 05:47 AM
Is this coated or uncoated? Looks pretty raw (uncoated)?

Drakulie, have you tried Klip Legend uncoated to compare?

drakulie
08-18-2009, 06:05 AM
Is this coated or uncoated? Looks pretty raw (uncoated)?

It does?? The string, is coated.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v736/drakulie/CIMG9721.jpg

Drakulie, have you tried Klip Legend uncoated to compare?

Unfortunately, I tried Kilp Legend a long time ago and don't recall enough to give a fair comparison. However, don't remember it being "uncoated".

Islandtennis
08-18-2009, 08:21 AM
Drak, I am trying a set myself. I guess I got in right before the blue ran out.

Gh0st
08-18-2009, 08:29 AM
Drak, I think Global and Gaucho owe you some serious royalties!

I think I'll try a set in the next few weeks. Thanks!

blackfrido
08-18-2009, 08:30 AM
Drak,

I'm impressed with the kind of players you hit now! I understand why you're avoiding to play with me :(

drakulie
08-18-2009, 08:56 AM
Drak, I am trying a set myself. I guess I got in right before the blue ran out.

Drak, I think Global and Gaucho owe you some serious royalties!

I think I'll try a set in the next few weeks. Thanks!

definitely let us know how it goes with the strings. Hoping everyone's experience is as positive as mine has been. Will give more updates after I hit tonight.

Drak,

I'm impressed with the kind of players you hit now! I understand why you're avoiding to play with me :(

ah, I'm still no match for you. Yeah, I've been lucky enough to meet some great players where I live, and the tennis is very good. However, still want to catch up, and play some tennis with you. Hopefully, we will be able to meet up this weekend.

BTW, where are you having your frames strung up??

Lefty78
08-18-2009, 09:03 AM
Unfortunately, I tried Kilp Legend a long time ago and don't recall enough to give a fair comparison. However, don't remember it being "uncoated".

In my experience, the coating on Klip Legend is much less noticeable than say VS. Probably more like the Gaucho, which I have not tried. Klip Legend Uncoated is a completely different animal, though. You'd remember if you tried it. Without lots of wax, it starts fraying right on the stringer, but spin potential is really nice. Durability however, is another matter.

drakulie
08-18-2009, 09:12 AM
^^^Ahh, ok. That makes sense now. Thanks for the info! :)

film1
08-18-2009, 10:41 AM
I ordered this yesterday. In the past inexpensive gut I has often been a little dry and brittle.
I would like to how it holds up stringing, in the humidity etc.

drakulie
08-18-2009, 11:07 AM
I ordered this yesterday. In the past inexpensive gut I has often been a little dry and brittle.
I would like to how it holds up stringing, in the humidity etc.

Post # 63:

also, you may want to read the first post in this thread to find out how it holds up "stringing".

Supracool94
08-18-2009, 11:13 AM

I'm still waiting for these guys to get back to me, has anyone else had any problems with the Gaucho folks responding to e-mails?

The_Question
08-18-2009, 11:27 AM
I emailed them 10:49AM Monday, and got a reply @ 6:56PM on the same day...

film1
08-18-2009, 11:34 AM
Post # 63:

also, you may want to read the first post in this thread to find out how it holds up "stringing".

I am not used to waxing strings but perhaps that may have helped in the past.
As far as holding up during stringing I will be trying about 65,66 lbs but good news about the humidity.

drakulie
08-18-2009, 11:39 AM
I am not used to waxing strings but perhaps that may have helped in the past.
As far as holding up during stringing I will be trying about 65,66 lbs but good news about the humidity.

there is nothing really to waxing. Just get a regular house-hold candle and lightly rub it on the mians.

as for the tension, what type of machine are you using? also, make sure you use solid technique when doing your crosses, as this is where the string experiences the most stress. here is vid with a good tip:

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

blackfrido
08-18-2009, 11:56 AM
definitely let us know how it goes with the strings. Hoping everyone's experience is as positive as mine has been. Will give more updates after I hit tonight.

ah, I'm still no match for you. Yeah, I've been lucky enough to meet some great players where I live, and the tennis is very good. However, still want to catch up, and play some tennis with you. Hopefully, we will be able to meet up this weekend.

BTW, where are you having your frames strung up??

Drak, I'm doing the stringing on my own lately......but definitely I need your advice in strings. Unfortunately you are not close enough to leave my racquets with you for stringing.

dltorre
08-18-2009, 12:07 PM
order 2 natural 2 spiral red
I have one of my MGPP strung with BC 16 at 54 an I just love my 1HBH with it I never use dampner so is a little pingy and the feel is not that great, but it grabs the ball so good that gives me tons of control on by BH that is usually my weakenes.
Thinking on Hybriding with Gaucho NG what you think would be better on the mains?
I think it may be BC so I still have that spin.
Anybody did hybrid BC with any NG?
May be I should post in a different thread, if that is the case.
SORRY

rozzman
08-18-2009, 01:34 PM
Has anyone ask them what's the cost for retailers per 50 sets? ...Just curious

Bud
08-18-2009, 06:04 PM
Has anyone ask them what's the cost for retailers per 50 sets? ...Just curious

I was wondering about that, too :)

rozzman
08-18-2009, 06:36 PM
Can natural gut dry out?
Affirmative

Do you mean once it's open or it can dry out even sealed after a couple of years?

Bud
08-18-2009, 06:45 PM
Do you mean once it's open or it can dry out even sealed after a couple of years?

Both, unless it's vacuum sealed.

Even dried out gut can be used as long as it's not strung too tightly. If I suspect a set is particularly dry, I'll use it in the crosses and string it less than 50#.

rogernext
08-18-2009, 09:38 PM
Both, unless it's vacuum sealed.

Even dried out gut can be used as long as it's not strung too tightly. If I suspect a set is particularly dry, I'll use it in the crosses and string it less than 50#.

How long do hybrid jobs last? I just bought some Gauchos and will hybrid them with Gosen 17g or Tospin Polytech 17g.

Thanks,

Bud
08-18-2009, 09:57 PM
How long do hybrid jobs last? I just bought some Gauchos and will hybrid them with Gosen 17g or Tospin Polytech 17g.

Thanks,

It depends on the other string and whether it's in the mains or crosses. Always try and keep the rougher string in the mains since it's the action of the crosses sawing through the mains that usually causes breakage.

Lakers4Life
08-18-2009, 10:02 PM
Drak, I know it's early but, how's the tension stability? I'd like to know what a full stringbed of Gaucho is like. I know you only did a hybrid with lux. I want push this on to my non-string breaking players. I think it's something they will really like and enjoy to play with.

UPDATE: I decided to string the Klipper USA natural gut. It was pretty dry, just pre-stringing mains with big loops made it ghost. I did not think I would finish, but some how I did. I kept waiting for it to break. I'm going to try it out tomorrow night. BTW I made the sign of the cross before starting. ;)

v205
08-19-2009, 01:45 AM
Is the guage of gaucho more consistent than GG and dare I say Tonic??

drakulie
08-19-2009, 05:05 AM

as Bud stated, yes they will eventually dry out. One thing you could do with dried out natural gut strings is to oil them. You get some baby oil, put just a few drops on to a small towel, and run the string thru the towel where the oil is. Do this very lightly. Once you have installed them, make sure to wipe the string bed with a dry towel. One of the problems with doing this, is that you have to clean out your clamps/tensioner when completed.

Thanks,

So far, the hybrid I am currently playtesting has run a little over 7 hours, and still going very strong.

Drak, I know it's early but, how's the tension stability? I'd like to know what a full stringbed of Gaucho is like. I know you only did a hybrid with lux. I want push this on to my non-string breaking players. I think it's something they will really like and enjoy to play with.

UPDATE: I decided to string the Klipper USA natural gut. It was pretty dry, just pre-stringing mains with big loops made it ghost. I did not think I would finish, but some how I did. I kept waiting for it to break. I'm going to try it out tomorrow night. BTW I made the sign of the cross before starting. ;)

Lakers4life, so far, after 7 hours of hitting/drilling the tension is holding very well. Haven't experienced a big/significant drop in tension whatsoever.

Is the guage of gaucho more consistent than GG and dare I say Tonic??

I would say it is similar.

drakulie
08-19-2009, 05:14 AM
So far, I have logged in over 7 hours of hitting with the Gaucho string.

Last night, was the third consecutive day I've hit the courts to drill. I also played two sets against an ex-satellite player. (lost 2 and 2). :(

The strings have shown no significant loss in tenion, and/or playability. Humidity/heat, nor the damp clay courts are having any noticeable effect on the strings. Yesterday, we hit the courts after it had rained, so the clay was much more damp than usual, still, no negative effects.

Additionally, no signs of fraying, although the strings are beginning to show signs of sawing against one another, which is more than expected. Typically when I get to this point with gut strings, I will start popping in string savers, however, being that I want to test the durabililty of the strings without any assistance of prolonging the life of the string, I have opted to not use any.

I have another hit scheduled tonight, and will add photos of the strings after tonights play test.

Let me know if there are any questions.

Supracool94
08-19-2009, 05:49 AM
They finally got back to me and I ordered two sets!

1 16G Spiral Red
1 16G Red

drakulie
08-19-2009, 06:20 AM
^^^Ah, good news. Let us know your experience when you get the string. Also, if you could post photos (especially of the spiral), it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. :)

Tennis Dunce
08-19-2009, 08:17 AM
Thanks Drak. I would think since this gut seems to be holding its own against those poly crosses so nicely, that a full bed seems almost a sure-fire thing, especially for the price. I, and I'm certain Gaucho, thank you for this thread. I'll be placing an order for 50 sets this afternoon.

Supracool94
08-19-2009, 08:20 AM
Thanks Drak. I would think since this gut seems to be holding its own against those poly crosses so nicely, that a full bed seems almost a sure-fire thing, especially for the price. I, and I'm certain Gaucho, thank you for this thread. I'll be placing an order for 50 sets this afternoon.

tennis Dunce,

If you do in fact order 50 sets, please let us know what kind of price break your getting.

Thanks

drakulie
08-19-2009, 08:43 AM

tennis dunce, you are welcome.

However, and don't get me wrong because I don't want to sound like I'm preaching, but, perhaps you should start with a few sets, and complete your own review of the string before committing to such a large order.

Either way, let us know what you decide, and how you like the string.

Glad the thread has been informative.

neverstopplaying
08-19-2009, 08:57 AM
I've got six packs on the way now. Looks like a good deal.

hoodjem
08-19-2009, 09:04 AM
So is it $5.00 postage per pack or for the whole shipment?

TenniseaWilliams
08-19-2009, 09:17 AM
I ordered a few sets of the blue spiral to try. Got them earlier this week after ordering them Wednesday late. The foil packs looked like Drak's photo, but with a generic label and were not air tight.

The string looks pretty good, nicely coated and reasonably consistent, although I haven't uncoiled it yet to fully check it. Cosmetically more of a black spiral than blue, but a very nice retro look.

I will likely get a chance to string some of it this evening.

drakulie
08-19-2009, 09:22 AM
Tenniseawilliams, that was fast! How many sets did you order, and how much was the shipping??

As for the color, yes they look black, but when you take it outside, you coudl see it is a dark navy blue.

Anyway, let us know how it goes. Thanks!!

Hoodjem, good question. Hopefully some of the other posters who have ordered more than one set will answer you question. Stay tuned.

drakulie
08-19-2009, 09:22 AM
I've got six packs on the way now. Looks like a good deal.

could you share with us how much the shipping was?? Thanks.

TenniseaWilliams
08-19-2009, 09:28 AM
2 sets, shipping was $4.95

Il Mostro
08-19-2009, 09:38 AM
$5 shipping for 5 sets here. Good communication and confirmation of order processing & shipping.

drakulie
08-19-2009, 03:49 PM
Have so far logged approximatley 4 hours of hitting. Today, played once again with the ex-satellite player. Drilled for a little over on hour, and then played one set. I lost 6-3. :( However, played much better today than yesterday.

After I left the court I did a self-test with my fingers pushing down on the string bed, and they are beginning to show a little bit of tension loss. That said, playability is excellent. Power, spin, feel, and control are all there.

As for fraying, very little to none, but the strings are beginning to "saw" on one another.

As promised, here is a photo I took immediately after leaving the courts:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v736/drakulie/CIMG9772.jpg

Another hit scheduled tomorrow with a player more at my level, so am looking to really let loose. Will keep updating.

dancraig
08-19-2009, 04:45 PM
Not sure exactly what the spiral is, cosmetic or structural. Seems that if it is structural it could enhance the stability of the gut by binding the fibers together and so reduce fraying.

Tennis Dunce
08-19-2009, 04:45 PM
tennis dunce, you are welcome.

However, and don't get me wrong because I don't want to sound like I'm preaching, but, perhaps you should start with a few sets, and complete your own review of the string before committing to such a large order.

Either way, let us know what you decide, and how you like the string.

Glad the thread has been informative.

You're absolutely right...I'll start out small and then order the 50 lot. 6 sets on the way. Thanks!

Tennis Dunce
08-19-2009, 04:52 PM
tennis Dunce,

If you do in fact order 50 sets, please let us know what kind of price break your getting.

Thanks

I will once I playtest the sets coming. I'm concerned with the packaging and its ability to retain the shelf-life.

Il Mostro
08-19-2009, 04:53 PM
Not sure exactly what the spiral is, cosmetic or structural. Seems that if it is structural it could enhance the stability of the gut by binding the fibers together and so reduce fraying.

I asked a ton of questions...

According to Luis at Gaucho String: "Our inks and coatings provide for a more durable string."

Also from Luis: "Our raw materials are sourced from India and are exclusively Asian Buffalo, not sheep or steer. Our inks and coatings provide for a more durable string. Gaucho was originally a producer of inks and coatings for tennis companies that manufactured synthetic and natural gut strings and eventually the company migrated over to selling strings as well (utilizing our inks/coatings). Our investors are currently looking at opportunities to manufacture the string itself in Uruguay utilizing cow serosa in 1 piece sets. The plan is to have this plant built and producing by Q1 2011."

This appears to be a very credible company. Communication has been excellent -- a real pleasure doing business with these guys. My feeling is the string will not disappoint when it arrives. My initial misgivings were totally unfounded.

dancraig
08-19-2009, 04:59 PM
I asked a ton of questions...

According to Luis at Gaucho String: "Our inks and coatings provide for a more durable string."

Also from Luis: "Our raw materials are sourced from India and are exclusively Asian Buffalo, not sheep or steer. Our inks and coatings provide for a more durable string. Gaucho was originally a producer of inks and coatings for tennis companies that manufactured synthetic and natural gut strings and eventually the company migrated over to selling strings as well (utilizing our inks/coatings). Our investors are currently looking at opportunities to manufacture the string itself in Uruguay utilizing cow serosa in 1 piece sets. The plan is to have this plant built and producing by Q1 2011."

This appears to be a very credible company. Communication has been excellent -- a real pleasure doing business with these guys. My feeling is the string will not disappoint when it arrives. My initial misgivings were totally unfounded.

I ordered some red spiral so that I could be just like my globe trekking friend, Il Mostro. :lol:

Il Mostro
08-19-2009, 05:02 PM
I ordered some red spiral so that I could be just like my globe trekking friend, Il Mostro. :lol:

I am speechless for once... :-) What stick are they going on Dan?

Tennis Dunce
08-19-2009, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the information Il Mostro. Like you I have a...err..gut feeling about this string not disappointing.

dancraig
08-19-2009, 05:10 PM
I am speechless for once... :-) What stick are they going on Dan?

My huge teaching racquet, Volkl Quantum Catapult 2. 115 sq. inches, 14X20 open pattern. Not made anymore, several years old. Tecnifibre had a similar frame a couple of years ago, 14X20, but I don't see it available anymore.

drakulie
08-19-2009, 05:16 PM
Il Mostro, thanks for sharing the info with us.

Dan, would you mind giving an update/review when you receive the string??

Thanks in advance!

Il Mostro
08-19-2009, 05:30 PM
My huge teaching racquet, Volkl Quantum Catapult 2. 115 sq. inches, 14X20 open pattern. Not made anymore, several years old. Tecnifibre had a similar frame a couple of years ago, 14X20, but I don't see it available anymore.

That should be a nice set-up. I've never seen the 14x20 TF OS. I remember a TFeel OS that had a slightly more open pattern (14x18 I think) from a few years back. I pretty sure it came in both standard and extended length. As I recall, it played pretty much like a normal racquet and not a typical OS.

dancraig
08-19-2009, 05:32 PM
That should be a nice set-up. I've never seen the 14x20 TF OS. I remember a TFeel OS that had a slightly more open pattern (14x18 I think) from a few years back. I pretty sure it came in both standard and extended length. As I recall, it played pretty much like a normal racquet and not a typical OS.

The Tecnifibre I'm thinking about may have been the 14X18. I'm hoping this gut will be easy on the arm, after feeding so many balls in a day.

dancraig
08-19-2009, 05:35 PM
Il Mostro, thanks for sharing the info with us.

Dan, would you mind giving an update/review when you receive the string??

Thanks in advance!

Yes drakulie, I plan to file an update on the gut. Thanks.

Il Mostro
08-19-2009, 05:39 PM
The Tecnifibre I'm thinking about may have been the 14X18. I'm hoping this gut will be easy on the arm, after feeding so many balls in a day.

Nothing like feeding in luxury. I'll bet the racquet/gut will be easy on your arm. The tennis equivalent of a fast, comfortable, grand touring car. :-) Al the guys I know who are teaching all day have either gone to, or are searching for, racquets that make feeding all day comfortable.

Lakers4Life
08-19-2009, 05:51 PM
^^^You make a good point. My tennis instructor friend was using a Babolat APDC, then his arm started to hurt. He's now using a Wilson TRIAD with an open pattern.

BTW, I ordered one of each 16G Red, 16G Blue Spiral and 16G Red Spiral. I plan on using the reds on my Volkls, and the blue spiral on a Wilson Sting High Beam 95, I just finish restoring.

dancraig
08-19-2009, 06:07 PM
Nothing like feeding in luxury. I'll bet the racquet/gut will be easy on your arm. The tennis equivalent of a fast, comfortable, grand touring car. :-) Al the guys I know who are teaching all day have either gone to, or are searching for, racquets that make feeding all day comfortable.

I usually string the Volkl at about 52lbs. Maybe this gut won't break on the machine at that tension.

Il Mostro
08-19-2009, 06:10 PM
^^^You make a good point. My tennis instructor friend was using a Babolat APDC, then his arm started to hurt. He's now using a Wilson TRIAD with an open pattern.

BTW, I ordered one of each 16G Red, 16G Blue Spiral and 16G Red Spiral. I plan on using the reds on my Volkls, and the blue spiral on a Wilson Sting High Beam 95, I just finish restoring.

Nice. If this works out like I think (hope) it does, I am going to get blue spiral for a pair of minty Wilson Ultra FPK 95's.

Il Mostro
08-19-2009, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the information Il Mostro. Like you I have a...err..gut feeling about this string not disappointing.

It sure looks promising based on Drak's play-tests.

neverstopplaying
08-19-2009, 06:28 PM
So is it $5.00 postage per pack or for the whole shipment?

shipping was $5 for 6 packs - even to Canada. It's parcel post, so probably is about the same cost to send anywhere.

TenniseaWilliams
08-19-2009, 07:39 PM
Just finished stringing the Gaucho at 65lbs with a PL II cross on a POG OS, no issues. Manual pre-stretch, no wax, used an old LF/SW ECO drop weight and flying clamps to be extra gentle.

http://j.photos.cx/gaucho2-b25.jpg

http://j.photos.cx/gaucho3-329.jpg

It looks pretty old school until the Kirschbaum hit it...

http://j.photos.cx/gaucho4-33a.jpg

PaulMan
08-20-2009, 05:30 AM
I also just ordered 6 sets, 2 each of red, red spiral, and blue spiral. Waiting for them to send invoice via PayPal. I will update this thread anything significant per the order and stringing.

rozzman
08-20-2009, 05:59 AM
I also just ordered 6 sets, 2 each of red, red spiral, and blue spiral. Waiting for them to send invoice via PayPal. I will update this thread anything significant per the order and stringing.

They told me yesterday they ran out of red spiral and won't have until september!

:evil:

Steve F.
08-20-2009, 06:15 AM
They told me yesterday they ran out of red spiral and won't have until september!

:evil:

As much as that sounds like bum luck, it's also a great opportunity to note any differences in quality between the pre-Sept and post-Sept batches. Red spiral users take note! :)

I've ordered a few sets of blue spiral, and am also wating for an invoice. We'll see if I got my order in before drakulie's review takes full effect. ;)

PaulMan
08-20-2009, 06:17 AM
Oh dang! Guess it's alright, I'll try out their strings and if everything goes well, I'll order more after September.

Thanks for the heads up, rozzman.

rozzman
08-20-2009, 06:48 AM
Also from Luis: "[...]Our investors are currently looking at opportunities to manufacture the string itself in Uruguay utilizing cow serosa in 1 piece sets. The plan is to have this plant built and producing by Q1 2011."

lol

I really hope this pan out. That way I may get them cheaper and faster

blackfrido
08-20-2009, 07:03 AM

Paul, let me know how those work in your "RED" :confused:

drakulie
08-20-2009, 07:14 AM
Just finished stringing the Gaucho at 65lbs with a PL II cross on a POG OS, no issues. Manual pre-stretch, no wax, used an old LF/SW ECO drop weight and flying clamps to be extra gentle.

Thanks for the photos! Nice frame, btw. :) Also, I see you have a nice Bab Star 3 in the back there. Why didn't you use that one to string the frame??? The constant pull perhaps, and that you are stringing at 65?

Anyway, thanks for sharing the photos. How did you feel about the texture/consistency of the string?? Also, if you could tell us how you feel about the playability.

Thanks in advance.

drakulie
08-20-2009, 07:17 AM
Seems like a lot of you are ordering the red spiral. Gaucho probably wasn't prepared for so many people ordering this string in one week. Still, if they will be made available in Sept, that is only two weeks away.

As, Steve F mentioned, I'm also curious to see if there are any differences between this batch (currently being sold), and the batch that comes in after September. <<<book mark it>>>

Steve F.
08-20-2009, 07:22 AM
Just received a kind response from Gaucho and... make that Blue Spiral out until September as well.

Good for Gaucho - we'll see how the second batch plays. I'm holding out for the spiral as I have plenty of VS half sets and Pacific hybrids to play with.

Fwiw - for any EU posters out there, shipping is $8 to EU. :)

rozzman
08-20-2009, 07:27 AM

$ 10 to South America

Still wondering how much per 50 sets.
:???:

drakulie
08-20-2009, 07:37 AM
Just received a kind response from Gaucho and... make that Blue Spiral out until September as well.

Good for Gaucho - we'll see how the second batch plays. I'm holding out for the spiral as I have plenty of VS half sets and Pacific hybrids to play with.

Wow! :shock:

I **really** don't think they were prepared for so many people ordering at once. <<<OUCH>>>

The_Question
08-20-2009, 07:48 AM

I hope they won't yank the price up...

strongman
08-20-2009, 08:50 AM
Is there a business phone number for Gaucho? Do they speak English? I would like to discuss discount with them if buy 10, 20 or more sets.

baek57
08-20-2009, 10:30 AM
How do you like this string compared to klip legend? (directed to anyone who's tried both)

TenniseaWilliams
08-20-2009, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the photos! Nice frame, btw. :) Also, I see you have a nice Bab Star 3 in the back there. Why didn't you use that one to string the frame??? The constant pull perhaps, and that you are stringing at 65?

Anyway, thanks for sharing the photos. How did you feel about the texture/consistency of the string?? Also, if you could tell us how you feel about the playability.

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for the thread drakulie, as well as the gg thread. My normal Tonic+ pile is pretty small at the moment, and is in danger of not getting replaced with you and Bud digging up all these great value ng's.

At 65lbs, I thought it would be necessary to have control of the tensioning speed. I support and ease the bar down very slowly starting the mains, trying to minimize damage caused by the string stretching and traveling through the opposite grommet under tension. I like a long tensioning time on ng as well, and don't like the abruptness of the star III cp adjustments when I'm already nervous.

The gauge consistency was decent, and the gauge seemed smaller than the 16g red gg I have. It also didn't have the grommet grabbing bulges the gg did.

I thought the coating was somewhere in between the harder and slicker tonic+, and the softer, tackier gg red coating.

As far as playability comments, NMR! (Not My Racquet :cry: ) I strung a new pure storm tour with gaucho this morning, (went smoothly) it's mate has gg red 16g in the mains and has been in the hands of a jr for a few days now. I will relay any comments I get from my guinea pigs, and should get a chance to hook myself up with a set soon.

Automatix
08-20-2009, 11:48 AM
Paul, let me know how those work in your "RED" :confused: Fancy meeting you guys here ;) Paul let me know as well I'm going to order some sets of Spiral Red for my REDs ;)

The_Question
08-20-2009, 11:50 AM
So my ordered arrived today, going to string it up tonight and see how it runs tomorrow night...

Lakers4Life
08-20-2009, 11:58 AM
I just got my reply back from Gaucho Gut. Red, Red Spiral and Blue Spiral are back order until Sept. No exact date, but sometime in Sept. They do still have Natural and Black. While supplies last...:?

Bud
08-20-2009, 02:59 PM
I just got my reply back from Gaucho Gut. Red, Red Spiral and Blue Spiral are back order until Sept. No exact date, but sometime in Sept. They do still have Natural and Black. While supplies last...:?

Wowee... luckily they didn't receive any "dealer" orders of 50+ sets :oops:

Tar Heel Tennis
08-20-2009, 03:14 PM
Is there a business phone number for Gaucho? Do they speak English? I would like to discuss discount with them if buy 10, 20 or more sets.

I sent Gaucho an email yesterday with some questions. Here are the questions and responses.

1) what do you charge for shipping to NC? Zip code - 27517 (I would be purchasing 3 or 4 sets)
1) Shipping is $5.00 and arrives in 2-3 days via USPS

2) is your string available in a 17 gauge diameter?
2) Currently we do not have any 17G in our inventory, but we do manufacture 17G. We will have this gauge near the end of September.

3) at what quantity does your shipping charge increase?

4) do you offer bulk rate discounts?
4) We offer a discounted rate for retailers purchasing 50 sets or more. There is a short application process as we like to ensure the people selling/representing our strings are qualified. We do have individuals as well as retail shops as part of this program.

v205
08-20-2009, 04:05 PM
Just paid for a few pack of 16g Natural. :)

Would this last longer than X1 Biphase?

PaulMan
08-20-2009, 04:30 PM
Fancy meeting you guys here ;) Paul let me know as well I'm going to order some sets of Spiral Red for my REDs ;)

lol We must know where to hang out for the good stuff, I guess.:)

eldub20
08-20-2009, 05:04 PM

At least they replied to your e-mail...I e-mailed them on Monday and haven't received an answer yet!:(

Lakers4Life
08-20-2009, 05:25 PM
I sent Gaucho an email yesterday with some questions. Here are the questions and responses.

4) do you offer bulk rate discounts?
4) We offer a discounted rate for retailers purchasing 50 sets or more. There is a short application process as we like to ensure the people selling/representing our strings are qualified. We do have individuals as well as retail shops as part of this program.

I was thinking of putting together a group buy, if the price were like $10 a set.

drakulie
08-20-2009, 07:15 PM
Sadly, today the strings popped at about the 12 hour mark of hitting for the 5 days. This is comparable to my experience with Babolat vs, or Global. However, if I would have used string savers as I usually do when the strings first showed signs of "sawing", I would have gotten a few more hours.

Good news is they played really well until breakage with minimal tension loss. Additionally, there was no "unwinding" of the string all over the string bed as you could see in the photo.

Here is a photo of where the string snapped:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v736/drakulie/CIMG9774.jpg

This next photo is for, DanCraig. As one could see, there is one strand of the Gaucho that is painted blue. It appears they paint this one strand before coupling it and winding it with the rest of the strands before finally coating the entire string.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v736/drakulie/CIMG9782.jpg

I plan on stringing my next frame at 65. Am hoping I get as much play time out of it.

thanks, and enjoy!

The_Question
08-20-2009, 07:20 PM
oops. dead links. upload again later.

dancraig
08-20-2009, 07:43 PM
Thank-you for the photo, drakulie.
I got a shipping confirmation on some red spiral this morning. I must be getting some of the last of that.

Bud
08-20-2009, 07:59 PM
Sadly, today the strings popped at about the 12 hour mark of hitting for the 5 days. This is comparable to my experience with Babolat vs, or Global. However, if I would have used string savers as I usually do when the strings first showed signs of "sawing", I would have gotten a few more hours.

Good news is they played really well until breakage with minimal tension loss. Additionally, there was no "unwinding" of the string all over the string bed as you could see in the photo.

This next photo is for, DanCraig. As one could see, there is one strand of the Gaucho that is painted blue. It appears they paint this one strand before coupling it and winding it with the rest of the strands before finally coating the entire string.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v736/drakulie/CIMG9782.jpg

I plan on stringing my next frame at 65. Am hoping I get as much play time out of it.

thanks, and enjoy!

Yup... probably like this (black Global Gut) but with a colored strand and 2 natural strands...

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_RLIYzXhfZQ0/Soswi66phgI/AAAAAAAALsM/sfiPYFqUVPg/s800/P1060140.JPG

Tennis Dunce
08-20-2009, 08:20 PM
Drak, was the breakage due to the fact you had a poly hybrid. If you had a full bed of this, do you envision breakage occuring many hours down the road?

Please somebody playtest a full bed of this stuff.

bsandy
08-20-2009, 08:24 PM

Psssst . . . Gaucho Gut is Global Gut . . . Lots of review on that thread.

. . . Bud

Lakers4Life
08-20-2009, 10:04 PM
I got a shipping confirmation on some red spiral this morning. I must be getting some of the last of that.

Lucky you! :) I order two black and one natural. I plan on using a full stringbed. Maybe I'll mix the natural and black.

BTW: The Klipper USA gut I strung the other night is still together. I hope it can last until this weekend.:???:

Tar Heel Tennis
08-20-2009, 10:45 PM
I was thinking of putting together a group buy, if the price were like $10 a set.

I would be willing to purchase 10 sets if the price was in this range. I'm not a professional stringer though, so I would not be able to be the 'official' buyer

also: edit to question #3 from my earlier post:

3) Typically, order above 10 sets have increases for shipping.

Steve F.
08-20-2009, 10:52 PM
Psssst . . . Gaucho Gut is Global Gut . . . Lots of review on that thread.

. . . Bud

Hiya Bud -

I think the idea here is that Gaucho is using a proprietary coating (and dye for spirals, colors) on their strings that Global does not, even though they share the same manufacturing facility.

Steve F.
08-20-2009, 11:00 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v736/drakulie/CIMG9774.jpg

K88 says... "Mmm, Indian food from the Pampas!" :twisted:

Thanks for these pix, drakulie - they look much better than the Global when it broke in my K88.

btw, Did you go to 65 with the Global, and if so what were the results?

James L
08-20-2009, 11:21 PM
wow, lots of great info on this thread.
i'll definitely check back on this thread and check out gaucho's strings when the colors become available.

thanks!

v205
08-20-2009, 11:46 PM
Does full bed natural gut usually break in the mains or cross?

Supracool94
08-21-2009, 01:06 AM
The mains usually break, when you have a full set of the same string.

Lakers4Life
08-21-2009, 01:19 AM
I would be willing to purchase 10 sets if the price was in this range. I'm not a professional stringer though, so I would not be able to be the 'official' buyer

also: edit to question #3 from my earlier post:

3) Typically, order above 10 sets have increases for shipping.

If they are shipping via USPS, the flat rate priority boxes are not that much more.

I was thinking more of a local group buy, where the participants were from my local area, but I think I can easily push 50 sets to my friends and clients.

I think the idea here is that Gaucho is using a proprietary coating (and dye for spirals, colors) on their strings that Global does not, even though they share the same manufacturing facility.

If it's a buck or two more, I'd be willing to pay for the color.

sidzej
08-21-2009, 01:20 AM
I hope Gaucho will create a bit of competition to GG and will stop their constant price increase...:)

Automatix
08-21-2009, 01:21 AM
Hey guys... my experience with Gaucho customer service:
- quick response and great communication;
- cheap shipping - 10USDs for 5 sets;

Cheers!

v205
08-21-2009, 02:23 AM
That's because the cross saws into the mains right?

Would it prolong the main to use 1 guage thicker of the same string for cross?

16g main / 15g cross
17g main / 16g cross
etc...

The mains usually break, when you have a full set of the same string.

Supracool94
08-21-2009, 02:35 AM
That's because the cross saws into the mains right?

Would it prolong the main to use 1 guage thicker of the same string for cross?

16g main / 15g cross
17g main / 16g cross
etc...

You would be better off using the thicker gauge on the mains.

v205
08-21-2009, 02:50 AM
Thicker guage in the mains would lose some playability though.

Supracool94
08-21-2009, 02:54 AM
Yes, you have to give up one to get the other! In other words you must sacrifice playability to gain durability!

v205
08-21-2009, 02:57 AM
I guess the question is, will the stringjob last longer if the cross is 1 guage thicker of the same string compared to a cross that's the same guage as the main

Supracool94
08-21-2009, 03:00 AM
the string will probably last a little longer, but not much. Your best bet would be to use the thinnest gauge and string savers!

v205
08-21-2009, 03:31 AM
The other reason for the thicker cross is to gain a little bit more control from that.

Kot_Bigemot
08-21-2009, 03:36 AM
I just sent them email asking what do they have in stock. I want to try 2 sets, see if it is any better than GG.

PaulMan
08-21-2009, 04:21 AM
The other reason for the thicker cross is to gain a little bit more control from that.

Typically players go to a poly cross to gain that extra control plus the smooth finish on the poly doesn't cut into the gut mains as much. Personally I get more durability using a gut/poly hybrid than a full bed of gut.

Of course if you like the really soft feel of a full gut bed, the Mojo blend with Isospeed cross will be similarly soft with a pretty smooth surface too.

Automatix
08-21-2009, 04:31 AM
I'm wondering are the pieces of one set of Gaucho are long enough to be used 2x for mains?

TenniseaWilliams
08-21-2009, 05:05 AM
If I understand your question correctly, each pack has (2) 6.5 meter (21ft) lengths, should be OK for almost any racquet. (or 2 hybrids)

drakulie
08-21-2009, 05:10 AM

No problems. Hope it helps answer some of your questions. Look forward to reading your thoughts.

Drak, was the breakage due to the fact you had a poly hybrid. If you had a full bed of this, do you envision breakage occuring many hours down the road?

If I had a set of full gut, I imagine it would have been around the same amounf of time. Please remember, I've been hitting/drilling with an ex-satellite player throughout this play test. When drilling, the strings take much more of a beating, and as a result last way less time than if just playing matches. Also, we both hit with a lot of topspin, which also wears down the strings much faster, than hitting flatter.

Hiya Bud -

Correct.

K88 says... "Mmm, Indian food from the Pampas!" :twisted:

Thanks for these pix, drakulie - they look much better than the Global when it broke in my K88.

btw, Did you go to 65 with the Global, and if so what were the results?

LOL. I'll be stringing my kps88 tonight at 65. Will let you know how it goes.

wow, lots of great info on this thread.
i'll definitely check back on this thread and check out gaucho's strings when the colors become available.

thanks!

You're welcome. Glad the thread has been informative.

I'm wondering are the pieces of one set of Gaucho are long enough to be used 2x for mains?

yes. each piece is approx 22 feet.

PaulMan
08-21-2009, 05:38 AM

Automatix, our Red Stars definitely don't need that much length and you also have the stretch factor as opposed to poly/co-poly's barely stretching at all. Depending on your stringing machine, but on my Babolat electronic CP, I can easily string poly mains using 19.5 feet on the Red Star.

I actually like these gut sets already in two 21-22 feet pieces as opposed to buying a full set of say, Klip or Pacific to use for hybrid halfsets as the oversize/super oversized 18 main sticks will have trouble if you cut a full (~40 feet) set in half.

Automatix
08-21-2009, 05:51 AM
Thanks Drak & Paul!

I'm thinking of trying out a full stringbed and a hybrid kevlar mains (1,25mm) with gaucho at the crosses... have any of you guys played with such a hybrid? (I mean the kevlar/gut), how's the durability and what tension did you choose?

Thx!

Gh0st
08-21-2009, 06:00 AM
Got two sets of black ordered yesterday. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks Drak!

PaulMan
08-21-2009, 07:45 AM
Thanks Drak & Paul!

I'm thinking of trying out a full stringbed and a hybrid kevlar mains (1,25mm) with gaucho at the crosses... have any of you guys played with such a hybrid? (I mean the kevlar/gut), how's the durability and what tension did you choose?

Thx!

Automatix, sorry no experience with a kevlar/gut hybrid but I would assume it's probably very similar to a poly/gut hybrid for which I've played with. Please don't take offense but it's just my opinion, gut is kind of a waste to use as a cross. That's what I found out when I used my gut as a cross on my poly hybrid.

Any decent syn gut would have been as good and cheaper. In any case whether gut or syn gut crosses, they'll break before the poly mains will. It would be safe to say your 1.25mm kevlar mains would also hold up at least as well as my similarly sized polys. I still got about 20+ hours on that hybrid though, so breaking at that point is really OK since the poly was going dead by then anyway. Kevlar doesn't go dead like a poly does, so your hybrid would last as long as your gut cross will go.

Hope that helps a little, but I'm sure Drak and others here will have even more experience than I, so they can better assist you.

drakulie
08-21-2009, 09:26 AM
^^PaulMan, I'm of the same opinion as you>>>> Gut in the crosses is a waste. IMO, better to go with a soft synthetic that is much cheaper then gut, easier to string, and will deliver the exact same performance as a gut in the cross, which is virtually none.

as for the Kevlar question, as you state>> Kevlar doesn't go dead, so the string job will last as long as the hybrid sting lasts.

James L
08-21-2009, 10:01 AM
I saw some mention that they put gut as main and poly in the crosses. How does that work?

I've been stringing ALU rough on main and prince synthetic on the crosses. I've always liked this setup, but I feel like alu strings feel dead too quickly. I'm giving big ace micro and PLII a try these next few weeks. I've never really played with full gut before, but will definitely give gaucho gut a try afterwords.

vishal70
08-21-2009, 10:04 AM
I just sent them email asking what do they have in stock. I want to try 2 sets, see if it is any better than GG.

Kot are you sure GG and Gaucho strings are different

vishal70
08-21-2009, 10:06 AM
Hiya Bud -

Dear i dont think you have ordered spirals from GG

Kot_Bigemot
08-21-2009, 10:08 AM
Kot are you sure GG and Gaucho strings are different
According to them it is different. Here is my email and reply by Gaucho:
My email:
Thanks for a fast reply.
I just have one more question. Is your black and natural same gut as Global Gut?
Thanks.
Reply by Gaucho:
Michael,
We utilize the same raw materials (buffalo serosa) and packaging (foil), but our coatings and dies are our companeis propietary product used in our strings.

So, according to them it should be different coating on the string.
I want to try it out. If it feels like GG...oh well...i just wasted $30. Would not be the first time :)

Automatix
08-21-2009, 10:30 AM
Hope that helps a little, but I'm sure Drak and others here will have even more experience than I, so they can better assist you.

^^PaulMan, I'm of the same opinion as you>>>> Gut in the crosses is a waste. IMO, better to go with a soft synthetic that is much cheaper then gut, easier to string, and will deliver the exact same performance as a gut in the cross, which is virtually none.

as for the Kevlar question, as you state>> Kevlar doesn't go dead, so the string job will last as long as the hybrid sting lasts.

Thx guys... so I'll probably go with a full gut setup or look for some poly cross string... maybe PLII but that's really soft...

Thx again!

LafayetteHitter
08-21-2009, 11:01 AM
A+ for quick shipping from Gaucho. They shipped my order the same day I ordered it. Received my package today but I am under monsoon conditions in Louisiana and the rain just won't stop.

drakulie
08-21-2009, 11:12 AM
^^That doesn't stop you from opening up a pack, and checking out the string. :)

What string did you order? Also, have you ordered Global, and if so, could you tell us how it feels (texture/coating) compared to the Global?

I also agree the shipping is very fast, and a big plus over Global.

Thanks in advance, and let us know how it feels when the monsoon is over. :evil:

Automatix
08-21-2009, 11:47 AM
I've got some other questions... sorry for being a pain in the b#tt...

When you go with a gut/poly hybrid does choosing a thinner poly prolong the life of such a hybrid or does it just enhance sawing?

Since gut hold tension so well isn't an option crossing it with thin kevlar? I mean 1,30mm gut/1,10mm kevlar?

Thx for the answers...

SoCal10s
08-21-2009, 12:06 PM
has anyone try a gut/multi hybrid or multi /gut setup .. if so what's the outcome? thanks...

gameboy
08-21-2009, 01:10 PM
Ordered 4 sets. If they are more prompt then GG, it may be worth the small premium in price.

bsandy
08-21-2009, 01:18 PM
has anyone try a gut/multi hybrid or multi /gut setup .. if so what's the outcome? thanks...

Raw thought . . .

When Gut's $14 a set what's the point ?

Anyway . . .

There are a lot that have done it. Check the Global Gut thread.

. . . Bud

SoCal10s
08-21-2009, 02:37 PM
Raw thought . . .

When Gut's $14 a set what's the point ?

Anyway . . .

There are a lot that have done it. Check the Global Gut thread.

. . . Bud

I use Maxim touch from a reel with 'Big Ace' and/or Blue Gear in the mains and that stuff saws though the soft Maxim so fast... from the reels the Maxim stuff is a lot less than $14 a set.. so I'm thinking hybrid might be worth a try...

film1
08-21-2009, 03:01 PM
A+ for quick shipping from Gaucho. They shipped my order the same day I ordered it. Received my package today but I am under monsoon conditions in Louisiana and the rain just won't stop.

Curious,
how many days did it take to get your string after you placed your order?

JavierLW
08-21-2009, 03:41 PM

Gut and Isospeed Pro Classic 17 work great together.

A little extra spin, and it holds the gut in place as well so no need for string savers.

v205
08-21-2009, 03:48 PM
Isospeed Pro holds the gut in what way? Friction bite or smooth texture so the gut slides back after contact?

A little extra spin, and it holds the gut in place as well so no need for string savers.

JavierLW
08-21-2009, 04:34 PM
Isospeed Pro holds the gut in what way? Friction bite or smooth texture so the gut slides back after contact?

Friction bite.

The whole "my strings move and produce spin" theory is bogus, but that's my opinion of course.

I get plenty of spin, the string seems to grab the ball at times as well as it holds the gut in place.

(I think if they were smooth they would still saw into the gut, but I am not seeing hardly any wear like that)

rozzman
08-21-2009, 05:26 PM
I was thinking of putting together a group buy, if the price were like $10 a set.Not sure if I should be sharing this info, but it's 8 dollars a set if you buy 50.

Sign me up for 10 sets if this is the case with Gaucho too

davent123
08-21-2009, 05:34 PM

whoa, if that's so, I'd like to try a set or two of this.

schenkelini
08-21-2009, 05:44 PM

I will go for 3.

geese_com
08-21-2009, 06:28 PM
I'll be willing to go in if someone wants to make an order of 50.

purple-n-gold
08-21-2009, 07:33 PM
I would take 5 sets.

Lakers4Life
08-21-2009, 07:42 PM
I would take 5 sets.

I'll be willing to go in if someone wants to make an order of 50.

I will go for 3.

whoa, if that's so, I'd like to try a set or two of this.

You all know I was refering to Global Gut, this is the Gaucho thread. Anyone can buy Gaucho directly for $14 bucks a set plus $5 shipping. Still a good deal IMHO.

Rozzman, you were asking to buy 50 sets or more, if you contact Emerson Corp. they can probably send directly to you.

Octavianus
08-21-2009, 09:07 PM

I fully agree, it is a great combination.

James L
08-21-2009, 09:09 PM
"The Gaucho Strings Retailer Program provides discounted pricing and enhanced account support to retailers. To qualify for the Program you must place a minimum order of 50 sets. If you are interested please email gauchostrings@gmail.com with your contact information and inquiry."

Bud
08-21-2009, 10:43 PM
"The Gaucho Strings Retailer Program provides discounted pricing and enhanced account support to retailers. To qualify for the Program you must place a minimum order of 50 sets. If you are interested please email gauchostrings@gmail.com with your contact information and inquiry."

I hear their retailer screening program is rigorous :roll:

rozzman
08-22-2009, 05:36 AM
You all know I was refering to Global Gut, this is the Gaucho thread. Anyone can buy Gaucho directly for $14 bucks a set plus $5 shipping. Still a good deal IMHO.

Rozzman, you were asking to buy 50 sets or more, if you contact Emerson Corp. they can probably send directly to you.

This was placed on the Gaucho thread so I thought you were talking about them.
$14 per set is good price, but not as good as 8-10 bucks :)

v205
08-22-2009, 06:07 AM
Are these strings light / medium / heavy compared to other strings in general?

And how about compared to other natural guts?

Sangria Munky
08-22-2009, 07:05 AM
I'm thinking of buying strings that i always use and need to pay for shipping $30+USD, how many sets should I get?

(My local pro shop is charging an arm and a leg for it)

Sangria Munky
08-22-2009, 07:07 AM
I'm thinking of buying strings that i always use and need to pay for shipping $30+USD, how many sets should I get?

(My local pro shop is charging an arm and a leg for it)

LafayetteHitter
08-22-2009, 08:42 AM
Curious,
how many days did it take to get your string after you placed your order?

Package arrived in 3 days.

dltorre
08-22-2009, 08:45 AM
got 2 spiral red and 2 natural
I am getting a couple of frames strung
will post pics

James L
08-22-2009, 10:41 AM
Does anyone have extra red (either spiral or not) ones they don't need?

I want to try them, but don't want to wait until end of sept.

I guess I could always try natural or black, but red would be nice.

Lakers4Life
08-22-2009, 11:44 AM
Does anyone have extra red (either spiral or not) ones they don't need?

I want to try them, but don't want to wait until end of sept.

I guess I could always try natural or black, but red would be nice.

You can always order the black or natural now, and by the time you break them you can get the red sprial or any other color Gaucho might have available.

This was placed on the Gaucho thread so I thought you were talking about them.
$14 per set is good price, but not as good as 8-10 bucks :)

I have a sneeking suspicion that Gaucho is a middle man, he's buying at $8 a set (or less) in bulk, and making a nice profit. If you deal direct with Emerson Corp, it's $250 for 25 sets and $400 for 50 sets.

tennisdad65
08-22-2009, 08:05 PM
I have a sneeking suspicion that Gaucho is a middle man, he's buying at $8 a set (or less) in bulk, and making a nice profit. If you deal direct with Emerson Corp, it's $250 for 25 sets and $400 for 50 sets.

I agree that Gaucho is a middle man. He's probably buying at $5-7 a set, since he is getting them uncoated from Global Gut. Add in his cost for applying his coating, I think $15 is reasonable.

The question is:
is his coating an improvement over global gut coating?
is it worth the $5 increase in price?

SoCal10s
08-22-2009, 08:58 PM
I agree that Gaucho is a middle man. He's probably buying at $5-7 a set, since he is getting them uncoated from Global Gut. Add in his cost for applying his coating, I think $15 is reasonable.

The question is:
is his coating an improvement over global gut coating?
is it worth the $5 increase in price?

why not,I'm going to get some sets to try out and if it's good,all my gut customers are going love the price.. after all gut is just the raw material and getting from the cheapest place is not gonna make that raw material perform any different from getting from France.. it's all in the coating after that... when V.S. came out ,their coating was superior to the other gut companies thus the gut performed better... so if Gaucho or whoever wants to buy from Global and put a superior coating ,that's great for the end consumers.. I'm really looking forward to use gut again,that is so affordable..

vishal70
08-23-2009, 06:05 AM
why not,I'm going to get some sets to try out and if it's good,all my gut customers are going love the price.. after all gut is just the raw material and getting from the cheapest place is not gonna make that raw material perform any different from getting from France.. it's all in the coating after that... when V.S. came out ,their coating was superior to the other gut companies thus the gut performed better... so if Gaucho or whoever wants to buy from Global and put a superior coating ,that's great for the end consumers.. I'm really looking forward to use gut again,that is so affordable..

Sir here i totally disagree with you as the coating just improves the durability and life of the gut......the quality of the gut basically depends on the raw material used in making it......coating does effect and enhance the quality of the surface ....

Il Mostro
08-23-2009, 06:22 AM

I appreciate a good laugh as much as the next guy, but I could have done without spitting my first cup of coffee all over myself...

It is is precisely the difficult and complex process of transforming disparate pieces of serosa into a consistent string (in terms of dimensions, strength and elasticity) that differentiates the few players in the natural gut business. And the source/grade and treatment of the raw material are as critical as the manufacturing process. Even within Cordage Babolat's lines, see and feel the difference between VS and Tonic. And, just to keep the facts straight, Gaucho does not buy Global and apply a coating afterwards; Global manufactures the string to Gaucho's specs and, additionally, uses proprietary materials (inks & coatings) provided by Gaucho. The process is not as simplistic as you present it.

SoCal10s
08-23-2009, 06:25 AM
I appreciate a good laugh as much as the next guy, but I could have done without spitting my first cup of coffee all over myself...

It is is precisely the difficult and complex process of transforming disparate pieces of serosa into a consistent string (in terms of dimensions, strength and elasticity) that differentiates the few players in the natural gut business. Even within Cordage Babolat's lines, see and feel the difference between VS and Tonic. And, just to keep the facts straight, Gaucho does not buy Global and apply a coating afterwards; Global manufactures the string to Gaucho's specs and, additionally, uses proprietary materials (inks & coatings) provided by Gaucho. The process is not as simplistic as you present it.

I like your explanation better ,thanks .... :)

Il Mostro
08-23-2009, 06:29 AM
I like your explanation better ,thanks .... :)

My pleasure -- black coffee is going down the gullet now, as nature intended. :-)

Lakers4Life
08-23-2009, 07:01 AM

It is is precisely the difficult and complex process of transforming disparate pieces of serosa into a consistent string (in terms of dimensions, strength and elasticity) that differentiates the few players in the natural gut business. And the source/grade and treatment of the raw material are as critical as the manufacturing process. Even within Cordage Babolat's lines, see and feel the difference between VS and Tonic. And, just to keep the facts straight, Gaucho does not buy Global and apply a coating afterwards; Global manufactures the string to Gaucho's specs and, additionally, uses proprietary materials (inks & coatings) provided by Gaucho. The process is not as simplistic as you present it.

Is that a theory or actual fact?

We all know for a fact that Global and Gaucho are made in practically the same facility, or at least come from the same vacinity in India. I have no Idea where Uruguay comes into the picture, other than "gaucho" is know as a cowboy in South America, not just Uruguay. Though mentioned in the Gaucho website, it does not really explain why if their maufcturing facility is in India.

"Customers continue to purchase strings from Gaucho Strings because they know that the products is high in quality and come in an array of colors that NO ONE ELSE carries."

Interesting statement from the Gaucho website, because Global, err Emerson Corp., also offers the same colors.

I would almost bet, that if you called Emerson Corp and offered to purchase a couple thousand sets, you can make your own brand of gut called "Il Mostro Natural Gut".;)

Il Mostro
08-23-2009, 07:08 AM
^^^^^

I am basing this on direct feedback from Luis at Gaucho. And, based on the differences between Global and what Drak has shown us of Guacho, it seems extremely credible to me. You can decide for yourself. Read the thread for the quotes from Gaucho.

Kot_Bigemot
08-23-2009, 07:22 AM
Sir here i totally disagree with you as the coating just improves the durability and life of the gut......the quality of the gut basically depends on the raw material used in making it......coating does effect and enhance the quality of the surface ....
I am not an expert on this but, it sounds logical. I mean does quality of paint affect performance of a racquet? I do not think so.
Just my .02

Kot_Bigemot
08-23-2009, 07:29 AM
Is that a theory or actual fact?

We all know for a fact that Global and Gaucho are made in practically the same facility, or at least come from the same vacinity in India. I have no Idea where Uruguay comes into the picture, other than "gaucho" is know as a cowboy in South America, not just Uruguay. Though mentioned in the Gaucho website, it does not really explain why if their maufcturing facility is in India.

Interesting statement from the Gaucho website, because Global, err Emerson Corp., also offers the same colors.

I would almost bet, that if you called Emerson Corp and offered to purchase a couple thousand sets, you can make your own brand of gut called "Il Mostro Natural Gut".;)
Guys, all is based on what Gaucho tells us...I am a very skeptical person so....Can we trust Gaucho? How do we know if it is not Emerson's attempt to try new batch of gut with better(so they say) coating? Does anyone know where this Gaucho company registered? Somehow i get a feeling that if i do some research, i will find out that Gaucho is another line of Emerson and therefor, it is same gut.

Il Mostro
08-23-2009, 07:43 AM

Of course you could. As you can in any industry, (exclusive of some proprietary big name brands who own and operate their own manufacturing facilities). By the same token, much contract manufacturing is done according to the specs (including material) of the buyer. The majority products in the marketplace today (irrespective of product segment) are made by contract manufacturers. So, the point is???

Il Mostro
08-23-2009, 07:48 AM
Guys, all is based on what Gaucho tells us...I am a very skeptical person so....Can we trust Gaucho? How do we know if it is not Emerson's attempt to try new batch of gut with better(so they say) coating? Does anyone know where this Gaucho company registered? Somehow i get a feeling that if i do some research, i will find out that Gaucho is another line of Emerson and therefor, it is same gut.

Gaucho ships from new Jersey. Since I was contacted by Luis and not Singh or Raji with an explanation of their Uruguay connection, it is credible even in my generally skeptical mind. I am sure we could conjure up more conspiracy theory scenarios, though.

SoCal10s
08-23-2009, 07:51 AM
I don't see why some people are getting all worked up about where this gut comes from... Toyota,Lexus,Scion all from the same mother company is there any difference in quality.. give me a Lexus please ..are the other 2 as good,you bet,just depends how much you want to spend..

years before Kennex,a Kunan Lo company used to make rackets for Wilson,Prince,Donnay and tons of other racket companies,it doesn't mean the quality was poor.. the different racket companies had their own designs and specs.. same here..

todd03blown
08-23-2009, 07:52 AM
great information!!

Kot_Bigemot
08-23-2009, 07:56 AM
Gaucho ships from new Jersey. Since I was contacted by Luis and not Singh or Raji with an explanation of their Uruguay connection, it is credible even in my generally skeptical mind. I am sure we could conjure up more conspiracy theory scenarios, though.
This is from domain registration:
Registrant:
Gaucho Strings

77A Sherman Place
Suite 1A
Jersey City, New Jersey 07307
United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: GAUCHOSTRINGS.COM
Created on: 07-Jul-09
Expires on: 07-Jul-10
Last Updated on: 07-Jul-09

Administrative Contact:
Sosa, Luis sosacorp@gmail.com
77A Sherman Place
Unit 1A
United States
(732) 501-6228

Technical Contact:
Sosa, Luis sosacorp@gmail.com
77A Sherman Place
Unit 1A
United States
(732) 501-6228

Domain servers in listed order:
NS49.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
NS50.DOMAINCONTROL.COM

Registry Status: clientDeleteProhibited
Registry Status: clientRenewProhibited
Registry Status: clientTransferProhibited
Registry Status: clientUpdateProhibited

As for your comment about a name....No disrespect but, does name convince you? I mean he could be anybody - Raj, Louis, Diego or Boris. Makes no difference.

Kot_Bigemot
08-23-2009, 07:59 AM
I don't see why some people are getting all worked up about where this gut comes from... Toyota,Lexus,Scion all from the same mother company is there any difference in quality.. give me a Lexus please ..are the other 2 as good,you bet,just depends how much you want to spend..

years before Kennex,a Kunan Lo company used to make rackets for Wilson,Prince,Donnay and tons of other racket companies,it doesn't mean the quality was poor.. the different racket companies had their own designs and specs.. same here..
Well, in this case it does matter. I will tell you why. Because to me GG is not worth wasting money and time. It is low quality gut that snaps in bags and during stringing. And please do not tell me that i do not know how to string gut. I have strung many sets of VS and Tonic and never snapped a set. I also strung at least 30 sets of Klip Legend and never snapped a set.
So, back to the subject. Why i am so concerned about weather it is the same gut or not. If it is same as GG, then what is the point of wasting time and money?

SoCal10s
08-23-2009, 08:12 AM
Ok ,you're comparing $14 to $44 ? if I buy a Scion for 17k I cannot compare that to a Lexus where I'm spending 50k ,when I'm buying GG or Gaucho ,I can't compare that to V.S. ,but for 1/3 of the price ,it's not bad...

Il Mostro
08-23-2009, 08:14 AM
Well, in this case it does matter. I will tell you why. Because to me GG is not worth wasting money and time. It is low quality gut that snaps in bags and during stringing. And please do not tell me that i do not know how to string gut. I have strung many sets of VS and Tonic and never snapped a set. I also strung at least 30 sets of Klip Legend and never snapped a set.
So, back to the subject. Why i am so concerned about weather it is the same gut or not. If it is same as GG, then what is the point of wasting time and money?

You are not the sharpest pencil in the box, are you? I think the very reason people are interested in Gaucho is that it appears to be substantially *different* than Global, even though it is likey made in the same facility.

Kot_Bigemot
08-23-2009, 08:16 AM
Ok ,you're comparing $14 to $44 ? if I buy a Scion for 17k I cannot compare that to a Lexus where I'm spending 50k ,when I'm buying GG or Gaucho ,I can't compare that to V.S. ,but for 1/3 of the price ,it's not bad...
You are right. No questions.
As for me - i tried GG and after a while have come to one conclusion - i prefer to pay $41.95 shipped(check plaza) and have no headache stringing and actually it lasts much longer than GG. Right now i have VS 16 in one of my BB11SE and it is a little over 17 hours and still very little signs of wear.
But again, you are right - for 1/3 of the price, you can not expect it to be as good as VS.
And by the way, i do prefer Lexus as well :)

Kot_Bigemot
08-23-2009, 08:26 AM
You are not the sharpest pencil in the box, are you? I think the very reason people are interested in Gaucho is that it appears to be substantially *different* than Global, even though it is likey made in the same facility.
So, you think that personal insults will get you far? No arguments so, let's start with insults right? No problems.
And speaking of sharp pencils....Is that a fact about Gaucho being "different"? A confirmed fact? By how many people? Drak and who else? Drak said that GG was great also and yet, many people reported that string snapped in a bag and on the stringer. SO what did Drak say about it? "Oh, you are all suckers, you people just can not string right" Yeah OK....Everybody but him do not know a thing about stringing.
I took few sets to a guy who i learned to string from - MRT who operates a Pro Shop. After he strung few sets of GG he told me strait up - "Mike, do not waste your time and money on this".
Back to subject. As YOU say - "Gaucho appears to be substantially *different* than Global"
So, who is not the sharpest pencil in the box here?
And please, stop with insults. It will get you nowhere. If you are incapable of having conversation as a normal educated adult, without insults, then perhaps we should stop.

film1
08-23-2009, 09:20 AM

Please don't take this as a personal question of your reasoning but more of another opinion because I know how frustrating it is to spend money on inexpensive gut and get cheap brittle crispy string you have to throw out or ends up in the garage unless you want to string at 50.
I was skeptical when I bought this because I have been burned before but
the reality is if anyone wanted to order some string from Gaucho it would take a while because they are sold out.

I am not sure how many people on here have the string in hand but I got some of the navy blue swirl and natural.
So far it looks and feels like a quality product so I am cautiously optimistic.
My guess is the string is 100 percent a product of Emerson, and if so perhaps they raised the level of their quality, they are obviously offering more options i.e. swirls colors and perhaps better coating?
It appears this batch of string is consistent, well coated and retaining elasticity.
So far so good but the proof will be in the pudding.

Bottom line:
If this turns out to compete with the other high end guts you I expect a shortage or a price hike and lean toward the latter.

Kot_Bigemot
08-23-2009, 09:28 AM
Please don't take this as a personal question of your reasoning but more of another opinion because I know how frustrating it is to spend money on inexpensive gut and get cheap brittle crispy string you have to throw out or ends up in the garage unless you want to string at 50.
I was skeptical when I bought this because I have been burned before but
the reality is if anyone wanted to order some string from Gaucho it would take a while because they are sold out.

I am not sure how many people on here have the string in hand but I got some of the navy blue swirl and natural.
So far it looks and feels like a quality product so I am cautiously optimistic.
My guess is the string is 100 percent a product of Emerson, and if so perhaps they raised the level of their quality, they are obviously offering more options i.e. swirls colors and perhaps better coating?
It appears this batch of string is consistent, well coated and retaining elasticity.
So far so good but the proof will be in the pudding.

Bottom line:
If this turns out to compete with the other high end guts you I expect a shortage or a price hike and lean toward the latter.
I agree 100%.
I ordered 2 sets of natural - that was all they had available. I should get it early this week. Will give it a try.
I really hope that this string is better than GG. My comments here are not against GG or Gaucho, my comments are against low quality of either gut.
If Gaucho turns out to be at least as good as Klip, i will be first in line ordering. As soon as i get my 2 sets i am taking to my friend's shop and we gonna examine it.

Lakers4Life
08-23-2009, 12:18 PM
^^^^^

I am basing this on direct feedback from Luis at Gaucho. And, based on the differences between Global and what Drak has shown us of Guacho, it seems extremely credible to me. You can decide for yourself. Read the thread for the quotes from Gaucho.

Luis sounds like a Spanish, name so we all have to believe him. I once called CS for some company that had it's CS forwarded to a call center in India. A lady in a Queen's English accent answered my call saying, "Hello my name is HEATHER, how may I assist you today?". I have some prime swampland in Florida, I want to sell you. Real cheep!

Of course you could. As you can in any industry, (exclusive of some proprietary big name brands who own and operate their own manufacturing facilities). By the same token, much contract manufacturing is done according to the specs (including material) of the buyer. The majority products in the marketplace today (irrespective of product segment) are made by contract manufacturers. So, the point is???

You just made it!

I agree 100%.
I ordered 2 sets of natural - that was all they had available. I should get it early this week. Will give it a try.
I really hope that this string is better than GG. My comments here are not against GG or Gaucho, my comments are against low quality of either gut.
If Gaucho turns out to be at least as good as Klip, i will be first in line ordering. As soon as i get my 2 sets i am taking to my friend's shop and we gonna examine it.

I just ordered a couple sets also and I agree. I'm neither for nor against GG or Gaucho. I'm just pointing out it's not all what it may seem. Call it being skeptical or playing "Devil's Advocate", but you can't believe all the "Sales Talk" that companies put out to sell their product or to make them sound credible.

BTW I recently strung my racquet with Klipper USA nat gut. I don't know if the same Klip you are referring to. For gut that was not sealed very well and was at least a couple years old, it's holding up pretty well.

dancraig
08-23-2009, 01:54 PM
BTW I recently strung my racquet with Klipper USA nat gut. I don't know if the same Klip you are referring to. For gut that was not sealed very well and was at least a couple years old, it's holding up pretty well.

This is "Klip"
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/KlipString.html

Kot_Bigemot
08-23-2009, 02:03 PM
That is NOT the Klip i was referring too. I was talking about KLIP from Australia. Real natural gut. The Klipper you are talking about is Klippermate's version of natural gut(synthetic).

Lakers4Life
08-23-2009, 02:08 PM
This is "Klip"
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/KlipString.html

Thanks for clearing that up, Dan. You never know what the poster means, when they start using Acronyms and Abbreviations.

Lakers4Life
08-23-2009, 02:20 PM
That is NOT the Klip i was referring too. I was talking about KLIP from Australia. Real natural gut. The Klipper you are talking about is Klippermate's version of natural gut(synthetic).

I'm pretty sure it's natural gut. It says it on the package. Though the card in the package does not have a lot of detail. When I strung it acted like natural gut with a coating. Its very translucent but ghosts fair easily when bent or crimped too much.

The package looks exactly like this:
http://www.klipperusa.com/images/products_large/S202.jpg (http://www.klipperusa.com/products/gripstringdetail.php?catnum=S202)

Kot_Bigemot
08-23-2009, 02:51 PM
I'm pretty sure it's natural gut. It says it on the package. Though the card in the package does not have a lot of detail. When I strung it acted like natural gut with a coating. Its very translucent but ghosts fair easily when bent or crimped too much.

The package looks exactly like this:
http://www.klipperusa.com/images/products_large/S202.jpg (http://www.klipperusa.com/products/gripstringdetail.php?catnum=S202)
Yes, you are right. I just checked Klippermate's website. I had no idea they started selling natural gut.

SoCal10s
08-23-2009, 03:01 PM
Yes, you are right. I just checked Klippermate's website. I had no idea they started selling natural gut.

that doesn't look like natural gut .. looks like man made .. the Klip string that are gut I think was from Australia called Klipspringer Gut.. not Klippermate.. I think that Klipspringer gut is also made of sheep or lamb not cattle ..

Kot_Bigemot
08-23-2009, 03:04 PM
that doesn't look like natural gut .. looks like man made .. the Klip string that are gut I think was from Australia called Klipspringer Gut.. not Klippermate.. I think that Klipspringer gut is also made of sheep or lamb not cattle ..
Well, at first i was referring to Klip Legend natural gut.
As for Klippermate's natural gut - according to their website, it is natural gut made of cows.

Lakers4Life
08-23-2009, 03:44 PM
From the KlipperUSA website it also states, "Made from the finest European natural beef intestines protected with a weather resistant coating."

Though the string that I have does not look like the structure in the picture. It looks more twisted. I can see a faint spiral in the string.