PDA

View Full Version : how many lbs less do you string Luxilon

2ndServe
08-15-2009, 09:32 PM
I used to play with kevlar mains and syn crosses at ~68lbs. I then got my Head LM Radical MP strung with 60lbs Luxilon mains and crosses. Even this seem tighter than 68lbs kevlar hybrid. What's a good recommended tension for this

Orion
08-15-2009, 09:57 PM
60 is awful high for Lux. Try 58 lbs. You'll be surprised at how much a 2-3% reduction in tension will make.

drakulie
08-15-2009, 10:06 PM
I use lux big banger alu power spin at 65 in a kps88.

davidahenry
08-16-2009, 04:53 AM
Prior to switching to full Lux Alu Power Rough last Summer, I used to string all strings (multi's guts, and syn guts) at 65 lbs. in a POG MP. I experimented with Alu at all one pound increments between 58 and 62 lbs and finally settled in at 59 lbs - which is almost exactly the recommended 10% reduction.

Just experiment a little and you'll get the tension dialed in perfectly. Good luck.

DH

drgreenthumb
08-16-2009, 05:06 AM
The tensions recommended are too high for me and can easily injure your elbow not to mention its to stiff!

I string mine 50-57 depending on factors

DownTheLine
08-16-2009, 06:52 AM
You should string 10% less then what you usually do.

For me I like ALU Power Rough in a two-piece @54 Lbs which is 10% lower then what I use to play with.(60 Lbs)

I also liked full ALU Power @58 Lbs so it all mater on the person and type of string.

Hankenstein
08-16-2009, 09:55 AM
With normal co-poly´s i string my PST´s in 54 lbs.. With a Luxilon AluPower i string it at around 50-51 lbs..

psYcon
08-16-2009, 11:38 AM
I string mine at 50lbs

2ndServe
08-16-2009, 11:49 AM
do you guys string full luxilon or a hybrid type?

2ndServe
08-16-2009, 11:50 AM
is you do string hybrid would you go like 58lbs luxilon main and like 60lbs syn gut cross? Or you go equal tension main and crosses

jevonclyde
08-16-2009, 12:07 PM
I used to play with kevlar mains and syn crosses at ~68lbs. I then got my Head LM Radical MP strung with 60lbs Luxilon mains and crosses. Even this seem tighter than 68lbs kevlar hybrid. What's a good recommended tension for this

I would go to as low as 55 lbs. Has worked fine for me in the past, depending on which Luxilon string you're refering to.

フェデラー
08-16-2009, 12:27 PM
im think about dropping my lux from 56 to 52 and keeping the gut at 54, good idea or no?

jevonclyde
08-16-2009, 12:43 PM
im think about dropping my lux from 56 to 52 and keeping the gut at 54, good idea or no?

It partly depends on your racket (low powered or not) and your swing style (long full cuts or not).

jevonclyde
08-16-2009, 12:45 PM
do you guys string full luxilon or a hybrid type?

I've never had full Luxilon string job. I did try Black Code as full job and it worked wonderfully. I'll test the WeisCANNON Turbotwist next.

ryushen21
08-16-2009, 05:42 PM
I used ALU Rough at my standard 62-60 and it was fine. I didn't really buy into the tension drop. Lux loses tension quick enough that it doesn't matter. At least for me.

chaddles
08-16-2009, 06:27 PM
When I first got back into tennis (after 10+ years of not playing), I was using my gf's O3 White which was strung with Alu Power plain at 58lb all round - I started to get a sore arm (bit in the elbow - more golfers than tennis) and shoulder when I used it for a long session. Gave up this setup after a couple of months and started using demo's from our shop to find a better option.

Now have a Speedport Black, which I initially strung with Alu Rough mains and NXT 16 crosses both at 58lb. Played 5 sets last weekend with it and yet again got a sore arm and shoulder in the same locations, but it takes longer to get the same level of pain.

I restrung it on the weekend again with NXT 16 in the mains at 56lb, and Alu plain cross @ 54lb - much better on the arm and still get the sensational feeling of the big banger (and love the NXT too)

Have found that alu power is much more effective when used with a softer string. It all depends on the type of racquet and how prone you are to arm injuries to how much you drop it by, or if you even do drop the tension - I definitely recommend dropping the tension by 2 lb compared to your existing setup and see how you go.

IMO its the best string out there and definietly worth trying a variety of setups to see what works for you.

2ndServe
08-16-2009, 07:23 PM
I would think the luxilon as cross would cut through the syn mains fast. At least for me. If I played with regular strings strings would probably last me 1.5 matches. Kevlar and luxilon are the only mains that seem to last for me.

mooimabear
08-17-2009, 10:57 AM
well i used the luxilon rough @59lbs on my liquidmetal radical and it was flippen sweet! throw on a unique black shock absorber and your good to go. ;]

フェデラー
08-17-2009, 12:15 PM
It partly depends on your racket (low powered or not) and your swing style (long full cuts or not).

k90, i need a little more power :)

Tipsy
08-17-2009, 01:16 PM
Should be looking to string at least 10% lower than you normally would. I currently string Luxilon around the 50lb mark, whereas with other polys I go to around 58lbs.

drgreenthumb
08-17-2009, 08:07 PM
When I first got back into tennis (after 10+ years of not playing), I was using my gf's O3 White which was strung with Alu Power plain at 58lb all round - I started to get a sore arm (bit in the elbow - more golfers than tennis) and shoulder when I used it for a long session. Gave up this setup after a couple of months and started using demo's from our shop to find a better option.

Now have a Speedport Black, which I initially strung with Alu Rough mains and NXT 16 crosses both at 58lb. Played 5 sets last weekend with it and yet again got a sore arm and shoulder in the same locations, but it takes longer to get the same level of pain.

I restrung it on the weekend again with NXT 16 in the mains at 56lb, and Alu plain cross @ 54lb - much better on the arm and still get the sensational feeling of the big banger (and love the NXT too)

Have found that alu power is much more effective when used with a softer string. It all depends on the type of racquet and how prone you are to arm injuries to how much you drop it by, or if you even do drop the tension - I definitely recommend dropping the tension by 2 lb compared to your existing setup and see how you go.

IMO its the best string out there and definietly worth trying a variety of setups to see what works for you.

I totally agree with you on all counts. I have played with Alu Power rough and non-rough version with a mix of original occasionally. I also regularly go to the gym and do free weights for wrist,forearm, and shoulders specifically to build strength for tennis since I hit a very heavy topspin using a SW-full W grip.

Being a string breaker, I have enjoyed what the convenience and savings a stringer can bring. During the last 6 months, I have done a lot of experimentation to "customize" my racket varying the main/cross string, weight, balance, and tension factors.

In my case, I have learned that any tension >58 using BB have bothered my elbow too (and its not becuase you have been sidelined for 10yrs). Not too mention that at those high tensions, the string loses visceral/sensation and feels more like hitting a brick (my APD non cortex already feels raw enough compared to the cortex version so i dont need any more "raw").

I agree with some that Alu Power will lose tension over time (and so are other strings). If i was not a string breaker, hit majority of my shots flat, saving some money...and wouldnt mind getting hurt by the strings, then BB at high tension of >60 would be ideal.

chaddles
08-17-2009, 08:30 PM
I would think the luxilon as cross would cut through the syn mains fast. At least for me. If I played with regular strings strings would probably last me 1.5 matches. Kevlar and luxilon are the only mains that seem to last for me.

I also believe that the luxilon cross will cut through the nxt mains quicker than the inverse setup - am interested to see how long it will last and whether I can keep using it as it feels fantastic. I normally use rough, but it would of sliced through it in no time so I went the plain.

ogruskie
08-18-2009, 01:04 PM
Do you guys think stringing full ALU Power at 50 lbs on my KBlade Tour would provide little control? I normally string poly/syn gut hybrids at 55 because I have a sensitive elbow.

ManuGinobili
08-20-2009, 11:33 PM
I did the 10% reduction thing for ALU Power Rough... Super vibration that gave me ridiculous arm pain (I was fine at mid tension) even with dampener. Totally lost control. If I hadn't played this string at mid tension before I wouldve never come back to it.
I think you should start at the mid tension to have a benchmark feel, then explore from there

Blade0324
08-21-2009, 05:56 AM
I string any poly even lux at the same tensions as I would any other string. about 60-62 mains and 62-65 crosses. I have tried lowering the tensions on poly's and they move too much and are too soft and springy for me. I really love the very stiff string bed and have not had any issues with arm pain.