PDA

View Full Version : String breaking whilst stringing

Trickster
08-16-2009, 01:53 AM
I was stringing a racket tonight and when pulling tension on one of the mains the string completely snapped at what looked like to be the top of the main that I was pulling tension on. I was using RAB Enduro Feel

I went on to string the racket no problems with some different string (some natural gut in fact).

Can anyone tell me why it broke? Or possible reason why it could break? I'm just a bit confused really, as I believe I was doing everything correctly.

p.s the only thing I can think of is the clamp wasn't right up to the frame as it was fouled by the other clamp.

schap02
08-16-2009, 03:48 AM
I was stringing a racket tonight and when pulling tension on one of the mains the string completely snapped at what looked like to be the top of the main that I was pulling tension on. I was using RAB Enduro Feel

I went on to string the racket no problems with some different string (some natural gut in fact).

Can anyone tell me why it broke? Or possible reason why it could break? I'm just a bit confused really, as I believe I was doing everything correctly.

p.s the only thing I can think of is the clamp wasn't right up to the frame as it was fouled by the other clamp.

Is RAB a poly? if so you may have not dropped correctly - when stringing polys I always start with the unit in the 2 oclcok position as opposed to the normal like 11 oclock starting position -

If you're following me, basically poly's don't have as muchb stretching as gut so you start a little ahead of where you normally would....

Pwned
08-16-2009, 03:56 AM
This has happened to me stringing SPPP twice. Never on any other string.

netman
08-16-2009, 04:13 AM
Is RAB a poly? if so you may have not dropped correctly - when stringing polys I always start with the unit in the 2 oclcok position as opposed to the normal like 11 oclock starting position -

If you're following me, basically poly's don't have as muchb stretching as gut so you start a little ahead of where you normally would....

Agreed. Polys have much less elasticity than other string materials and will snap if they experience a sudden high tension load. Just not enough give. Its why they tend to break at the frame/grommet junction when you shank a shot.

Trickster
08-16-2009, 02:21 PM
schap02 - what do you mean 'dropped correctly'? I'm using a Toalson electronic machine so nothing to drop.

What can I do to prevent this happening - ideas?

dancraig
08-16-2009, 03:19 PM
schap02 - what do you mean 'dropped correctly'? I'm using a Toalson electronic machine so nothing to drop.

Slower pull speed.

gastro54
08-16-2009, 03:31 PM
There might have just been an imperfection in the string where it broke.

Jakedasnake
08-16-2009, 08:56 PM
Wait so if I'm using a dropweight for poly, I should move the stick thing to 2 o'clock, then drop? Because for syn gut, I usually start as far left (counterclockwise) as possible

masterxfob
08-16-2009, 09:29 PM
different strings have different elasticity. i found that out the hard way when stringing up some first generation poly.

honz
08-16-2009, 09:36 PM
Wait so if I'm using a dropweight for poly, I should move the stick thing to 2 o'clock, then drop? Because for syn gut, I usually start as far left (counterclockwise) as possible

That, or just leave some slack between the gripper and the frame, or start with the "stick thing" ;) all the way down and go from there. I've only strung with poly a couple of times now, but they simply don't stretch like synthetics or multis do, so the dropweight won't be able to go all the way to horizontal if you don't adjust some. It's not any more difficult or anything, just have to make an adjustment.

Deuce
08-17-2009, 01:09 AM

This happened to me - for the second time - only 2 days ago.
Both times with the same reel of Polylon Ice 16g, and an Oversize racquet (2 different racquets).
Both times the string broke at the top of the frame, where the grommets are, at about the 4th or 5th main as I was stringing it.
First time was at 62 pounds. Two days ago was at only 57.5 pounds.
Go figure.

So I took some Polylon 17g (NOT Ice), and tried that in the same Oversize frame - at the same 57.5 tension.
No problem.

So the problem certainly seems to be in the quality of the Polylon Ice 16g reel - as 'gastro' mentions below..
There might have just been an imperfection in the string where it broke.

Agreed. Polys have much less elasticity than other string materials and will snap if they experience a sudden high tension load. Just not enough give. Its why they tend to break at the frame/grommet junction when you shank a shot.
^ Yes.

Has anyone ever snapped Kevlar while stringing?

duusoo
08-17-2009, 04:09 AM
Generally when you get a break like the one you described, its a flaw in the string. Some companies have fewer flaws, but the occur. Generally its a microscopic bubble. Every company I work with will request the reel, or the string, and give replacement.

schap02
08-17-2009, 09:00 AM

I was referring to a drop weight machine sorry - let us know what machine you're using and it will help

schap02
08-17-2009, 09:02 AM

Yea - basically when doing polys I hold the drop bar at about 1 or 2 oclock when starting but basically you just need to make some minor adjustments for polys...some polys like MSV Hex you can drop from about noon and usually it stops right in the perfect spot but it's easier on the string if you start from 2 or so...
Hopethis helps