PDA

View Full Version : Big Ace Micro hybrid

netman
08-16-2009, 04:26 AM
I had to do a quick turn string job recently and had let me string stock get too low. I had given up on polys due to elbow problems, even though I loved the way it played. Unfortunately all I had was a set of Big Ace Micro and some Gosen SM 17 remnants lying around. So I put the the BA Micro on the mains with my remaining Gosen SM 17 on the crosses. Strung both at 55 in a Yonex RDS 001 MP.

I am very impressed with the setup after 8 hours of hard hitting. The BA Micro has roughly the same stiffness rating as the SM. So far no elbow pain and to be honest I can't really tell the difference between this string job and my full SM 17 one in regards to feel, comfort and tension maintenance. The difference is in control. The hybrid is definitely lower powered so I can swing out and still keep the ball in play. In addition, it has helped me add more spin to my shots. Great for adding slice and spin to serves. I usually have to cut out my Gosen, so hopefully this will last as long.

I'll probably do another BA Micro hybrid and see how it goes. Hopefully I might have found a poly setup I can use.

hoodjem
08-16-2009, 07:04 AM
I tried almost the same hybrid(s)--

MSV Hex 1.10 mains @ 53/Gosen OGSM 17g crosses @ 56
BAM 1.15 mains @ 52/Gosen OGSM 18g crosses @ 55

Both held up quite well in terms of durability. I have to confess I liked the MSV Hex 1.10 a little better for its feel and the Gosen 18g a little better for its feel.

I still have half sets left, so next time I will try the MSV Hex 1.10/Gosen 18g hybrid. I believe that what I lose in durability (not much) will be more than made up for with feel.