PDA

View Full Version : Best Type of Video Camera?

TripleB
08-16-2009, 12:31 PM
Just got back from the beach...went to look at my videos from my Sony MiniDV camera I purchased a couple years back...anxious to see my 2 year old son playing putt putt for the first time...thick blue lines covering half the screen. Looked like the stripes on the American flag except it alternated blue lines and the picture I recorded with no sound :cry:

I'm praying that it's only the play back of the video camera that's messed up and not the recording. Thought it might just be a faulty tape so I checked another one and it did the same thing.

Now that my anger has subsided some, I'm on the search for a new video camera but notice that there are a lot of different kinds currently on the market: Mini-DV, DVD, Hard Drive, HD, Flash Memory, etc.

For anyone who has purchased or researched them recently, what is the best type of video camera to buy at a reasonable price for home movies?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

TripleB

tennisplaya999
08-17-2009, 09:46 AM
well miniDV still exists, and you can buy one relatively cheap, sub $200-300 or so. But if you want to be up to date, buy a HD camcorder, doesnt really matter what type of storage.

dennis10is
08-17-2009, 09:51 AM
Buy an HD camcorder with a hard drive and flash memory. This will future proof your purchase for a few years.

You need to factor in your probable need for more powerful computer and video editing software if you go beyond simple video recording.