PDA

View Full Version : How fast is lightning Bolt: 9.58!

jevonclyde
08-16-2009, 12:53 PM
Usain Bolt just destroyed the 100m sprint in Berlin @ 9.58!

The first 6 runnners finished under 10 seconds! I N S A N E !

aphex
08-16-2009, 01:02 PM
holy *****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fps
08-16-2009, 01:06 PM
some things belong to a different planet. there are no words to describe it. watchin gay there, running 9.71, and being amazed by the application and effort of him, then seeing another guy make him look like a 12 year old racing a 14 year old, insanity.

ericsson
08-16-2009, 01:09 PM
That guy is not normal, how much faster can he be??, don't forget he is 1.95m, kudos Usain!

jevonclyde
08-16-2009, 01:25 PM
I just stop watching the replays. It's just unbelievable. I remember Carl Lewis setting his record back in the day at the Olympics and being amazed. And true, the guy 1.95 m! I agree with you all.

therogerfan
08-16-2009, 01:32 PM
simply unbelievable ! But I'm sure there must be a limit

flyinghippos101
08-16-2009, 01:32 PM
lame, I can clear 100m in 8 seconds flat.

jk, that's inhuman, what was his time in beijing?

fps
08-16-2009, 01:38 PM
lame, I can clear 100m in 8 seconds flat.

jk, that's inhuman, what was his time in beijing?

9.69. i couldn't beat his time if they gave me a bike.

jevonclyde
08-16-2009, 01:38 PM
His time in Beijing was 9.69.

scraps234
08-16-2009, 01:40 PM
thats just insane!

Shangri La
08-16-2009, 01:46 PM
Bolt is the GOAT of all sports.

TonyB
08-16-2009, 02:22 PM
His time in Beijing was 9.69.

But you'll remember that he let up dramatically in the last 10 meters. He would have done better than 9.58 in Beijing.

Ironwood
08-16-2009, 02:24 PM
Bolt obliterated his old record by 11/100 of a second! That's the most ever shaved off the previous 100 record. He's only 22! He could well go 9.30's as he approaches a sprinters prime of 27-33 yrs. Could you even imagine 8.99!

ubermeyer
08-16-2009, 02:37 PM
Bolt obliterated his old record by 11/100 of a second! That's the most ever shaved off the previous 100 record. He's only 22! He could well go 9.30's as he approaches a sprinters prime of 27-33 yrs. Could you even imagine 8.99!

under 9 seconds... they say it's not possible, but with bolt, i don't know

fps
08-16-2009, 02:53 PM

i think, if he really can progress it, he'll take it to a barely credible 9.49 and it'll stay there for years.

Tyson Gay is part of a normal, natural progression of the sport- training, talent pool, nutrition gets better, the record goes down a few hundredths every 5 years. i feel so sorry for the guy, he's an extraordinary human runner. and Bolt is an extraordinary, inhuman runner.

ryangoring
08-16-2009, 03:55 PM
Bolt is the GOAT of all sports.

:shock: What!?!
You mean in his own sport
Tiger woods, FEDex, Jordan, Gretzky, Phelps, Pele, Sir Garfield Sobers, Muhammed Ali, just to name a few.....

Don't get me wrong the guy is a freak on nature to be so tall and be able to start the way he did and rip the whole race wide open.
Gay got a great start, Asafa didn't to me get his usual blazing start, if he did it would have made some big difference on the podium stands.
But Bolt, what can you say about him, natural raw talent that has been molded into a fine piece of machinery......
**** I could only do 10.7 when I was in high school!!

ubermeyer
08-16-2009, 03:57 PM
Tiger woods, FEDex, Jordan, Gretzky, Phelps, Pele, Sir Garfield Sobers, Muhammed Ali, just to name a few.....

Don't get me wrong the guy is a freak on nature to be so tall and be able to start the way he did and rip the whole race wide open.
Gay got a great start, Asafa didn't to me get his usual blazing start, if he did it would have made some big difference on the podium stands.
But Bolt, what can you say about him, natural raw talent that has been molded into a fine piece of machinery......

Tiger Woods is still not currently considered the GOAT of golf...

Lakoste
08-16-2009, 04:13 PM
Tiger Woods is still not currently considered the GOAT of golf...

Yea, and Muhammad Ali isn't the GOAT of boxing. Don't know what RyanGoring is talking about.

ryangoring
08-16-2009, 05:27 PM
Ehhhhh! i guess i am wrong........ok
thanks
but you understand what i am getting at right?

raiden031
08-16-2009, 05:31 PM
http://www.udel.edu/chem/theopold/chem465/copland.udel.edu/~jwhite/steroids.jpg

broxi51
08-16-2009, 05:46 PM
http://www.udel.edu/chem/theopold/chem465/copland.udel.edu/~jwhite/steroids.jpg

some stash you've got yourself there

bolt no1 current sportstar in the world. michael johnson was utter speechless, stunned when he saw that, i was the same, thats only twice i have just went "f.u.k" this year watching many sports the other being manny destroying ricky hatton.

fps
08-16-2009, 06:09 PM

none of the people you mention dominate in the way Bolt is doing at the moment, his sport is a race that he wins endlessly in quicker times than the rest of the field can dream of.

by the way, Sobers is not the greatest cricketer ever, that's Don Bradman, and people would take issue with Ali as well, not to mention the federer discussions that happen round here....

Bradman might be the closest thing to Bolt in the way that he is flat out better than everyone else and proved it the whole time.

But to perform like this in sprinting, in 2009.... anyone can run. anyone. you don't need equipment more than a pair of shoes, you just run. huge pool of talent. and he's doing that to the rest of them. unreal.

EtePras
08-16-2009, 09:59 PM
What a mug. No athletic ability compared to someone like Federer or Sampras. Bolt is taking advantage of a weak era, plain and simple.

SempreSami
08-17-2009, 06:12 AM
none of the people you mention dominate in the way Bolt is doing at the moment, his sport is a race that he wins endlessly in quicker times than the rest of the field can dream of.

by the way, Sobers is not the greatest cricketer ever, that's Don Bradman, and people would take issue with Ali as well, not to mention the federer discussions that happen round here....

Bradman might be the closest thing to Bolt in the way that he is flat out better than everyone else and proved it the whole time.

But to perform like this in sprinting, in 2009.... anyone can run. anyone. you don't need equipment more than a pair of shoes, you just run. huge pool of talent. and he's doing that to the rest of them. unreal.

Rob Key > Bradman

fps
08-17-2009, 08:11 AM
Rob Key > Bradman

:) right now, i'd definitely give him the edge

FuriousYellow
08-17-2009, 09:13 AM
Carl Lewis on Usain Bolt:

"When people ask me about Bolt I say he could be the greatest athlete of all time. But for someone to run 10.03 one year and 9.69 the next, if you don't question that in a sport that has the reputation it has right now, you're a fool. Period."It's hard to watch Track & Field and not wonder who's doping, especially after reading "Game of Shadows" which is about the BALCO steroids scandal. One of the runners in the semis, Dwain Chambers, was banned for two years after getting caught.

fps
08-17-2009, 09:21 AM
Bolt is still only 22, 2 years is a long time at that point in a sprinter's life. what's more, he wasn't a 100m runner, but a 200m runner. So while his "best" 100m time might have been 10 seconds-ish, that's probably because he wasn't running any competition 100m races.

ferim
08-20-2009, 01:12 PM
The guy is amazing: 19s19/100 (19s30/100). 9s58/100 (9s69/100). 11/100 less than his previous records for both 100m and 200m.

SempreSami
08-20-2009, 03:31 PM
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/46239000/jpg/_46239438_boltpose.jpg

Ano
08-20-2009, 06:02 PM
Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_63IFTKh-Mc&feature=fvsr

hollywood9826
08-20-2009, 07:16 PM
They said he ran the 1st 40yds in 3.82seconds. I think its a matter of time before someone tries to see if he can catch a football. hes 6'5" over 200lbs. ESPN needs to do this with him for fun. I wanna see him smoke guys on the football field. At a 3.82 40yd he would be 6 yds in front of the next fastest guy in the NFL. Talk about opening up the field

Talker
08-20-2009, 07:54 PM

Very true, the pool is the whole world of talent. If you can run fast you will be noticed, anywhere.

In other sports true talent is being passed over all the time because the ones that have that talent don't know it.

The more I think about this the more amazing it is. WOW!!

jevonclyde
08-21-2009, 03:27 PM
My,my,my! Only now I got a chance to check the 200s. A M A Z I N G !

AAAA
08-21-2009, 04:04 PM
If Bolt hadn't run the 100m rounds and final earlier in the week which took a bit out of him he likely would have run faster than the 19.19. Plus his form wasn't that great at on the straight, shoulders rocked about a bit which moves the body's momentum off the sprinting-line towards the finish line. Combined with the slight headwind rather than assistance from a tail wind within the legal limits, he will run faster under more favourable conditions.

stormholloway
08-21-2009, 05:11 PM
They said he ran the 1st 40yds in 3.82seconds. I think its a matter of time before someone tries to see if he can catch a football. hes 6'5" over 200lbs. ESPN needs to do this with him for fun. I wanna see him smoke guys on the football field. At a 3.82 40yd he would be 6 yds in front of the next fastest guy in the NFL. Talk about opening up the field

Is it really worth it though? He won't necessarily be that good at football and certainly not near the elite level. Plus he could easily hurt himself. Or he stays in sprinting and is forever a legend, at least until he's busted for steroids.

r2473
08-21-2009, 06:28 PM
If Bolt hadn't run the 100m rounds and final earlier in the week which took a bit out of him he likely would have run faster than the 19.19.

9.58 + 9.58 = 19.16

How much faster could he have run?

~ZoSo~
08-21-2009, 06:29 PM
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/46239000/jpg/_46239438_boltpose.jpg

thanks a lot i was searching for this photo and couldnt find it.

what a cool guy he is.

Do you have a link to a bigger file?

AAAA
08-21-2009, 06:48 PM
9.58 + 9.58 = 19.16

How much faster could he have run?

With conditions as stated before:

1) Full tank of gas for 200m only. Can happen if he doesn't enter the 100m or runs in one of the many grand prix meetings in Europe where the invited athletes only perform once per event.

2) He's on form. Has been in the last two big events, this and the Olympics so should fine his form when needed again.

3) Strong tail wind within the legal limits.

4) There's a legal variance for track hardness. Harder tracks are sprinter tracks because they absorb less energy. Middle to long distance runners prefer softer tracks. The Berlin track according to rumour wasn't considered a fast sprinters track.

5) Running 200m flat out does cause muscle fatigue which affects the duration a sprinter can maintain there peak speed. His stamina should increase by his mid 20s so improves should occur.

With all the above to his favour he'll run faster.

hollywood9826
08-21-2009, 07:07 PM
Is it really worth it though? He won't necessarily be that good at football and certainly not near the elite level. Plus he could easily hurt himself. Or he stays in sprinting and is forever a legend, at least until he's busted for steroids.

I just want to see him do it once. Poeple hold football (NFL) players on some pedestal as superhuman atheletes. I just want to see them humiliated.

I could see him doing a special maybe because he woudl get extreme american exposure. Puma would be pretty smart to try to set this up. Even just have him go through the combine workouts

r2473
08-21-2009, 07:38 PM
With conditions as stated before:

1) Full tank of gas for 200m only. Can happen if he doesn't enter the 100m or runs in one of the many grand prix meetings in Europe where the invited athletes only perform once per event.

2) He's on form. Has been in the last two big events, this and the Olympics so should fine his form when needed again.

3) Strong tail wind within the legal limits.

4) There's a legal variance for track hardness. Harder tracks are sprinter tracks because they absorb less energy. Middle to long distance runners prefer softer tracks. The Berlin track according to rumour wasn't considered a fast sprinters track.

5) Running 200m flat out does cause muscle fatigue which affects the duration a sprinter can maintain there peak speed. His stamina should increase by his mid 20s so improves should occur.

With all the above to his favour he'll run faster.

In his career it is very possible he runs faster. But you seemed to suggest that he could have run faster this week. I was simply saying that, his 200 meter time was barely slower (.03 seconds) than twice his new 100 meter record.

But, I was a middle distance runner. I know nothing about sprinting (I am slow as dirt).

Ano
08-23-2009, 06:01 PM
Video of Usain Bolt new world record (200 Meters)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW10gbgX7ds

SempreSami
08-23-2009, 06:29 PM
thanks a lot i was searching for this photo and couldnt find it.

what a cool guy he is.

Do you have a link to a bigger file?

'fraid not.