PDA

View Full Version : Genesis Black Magic

Birke
08-16-2009, 07:56 PM
Got a chance to play with this string with my new Völkl PB10 mid. And, WOW I was hugely impressed!

I have a partially torn lower ab, so I had to tone down serves until my mid-section started to generate some heat and relax the muscle. Then I was heating some serves, and I have never had better service returns (weakest part of my game), forehands were being crushed, amazing touch, perfect placement with the backhand. I could go on and on.

They say their Spin X is their premier string and although I haven't yet tried Spin X, I can't see how it can beat their Black Magic.

I've only played with Luxilon previous to this.

Although I had the least bit of movement in the second set with the Black Magic, but the Völkl has a 16x19 pattern

schenkelini
08-16-2009, 08:41 PM
I have a pair of PK Ki15 PSE's. I have one strung with Black Magic in the mains and Gosen Micro in the crosses. The other uses Spin-X in the mains and Gosen in the crosses. I like the Black Magic one better. I has better feel and pocketing. I don't get that much extra spin off of Spin-X.

Birke
08-16-2009, 09:43 PM
I have a pair of PK Ki15 PSE's. I have one strung with Black Magic in the mains and Gosen Micro in the crosses. The other uses Spin-X in the mains and Gosen in the crosses. I like the Black Magic one better. I has better feel and pocketing. I don't get that much extra spin off of Spin-X.

Ok cool, I might go ahead and buy a reel of Black Magic, but I really want to wait until I try Spin X first.

Oh, in a month or two they are coming out with a silver Spin X :shock:

Ljubicic for number1
08-17-2009, 02:36 AM
Yep I prefer the Black magic over the spin X too. Has much better feel and has just as much spin. Every customer I have strung it for loves it.

stanfordtennis alum
08-17-2009, 12:42 PM
Agree! Black Magic is an excellent string, just good all-around.. some of my students who used lux or blackcode changed to this stuff and love it!

Fedace
08-17-2009, 12:46 PM
Agree! Black Magic is an excellent string, just good all-around.. some of my students who used lux or blackcode changed to this stuff and love it!

So this string is a Poly ?? i thought it was a Natural gut ?? LOL compared to BC, i am sure it is good but how does it compare to Proline 2 ?

Fedace
08-17-2009, 12:51 PM
LOL... Read below, it saids this string is leader in Feel department.

Product Description.Black Magic leads the pack among co-polyester strings on the market today. Offering a superb balance of power and control, Black Magic is bound to raise your game to a new level. This string excels when it comes to feel. Most polyester strings today have one major flaw: they have no feel! Black Magic is the answer. Softer than most co-polys, this is a great string for players that are looking for a comfortable poly offering a serious punch. Tension maintenance is excellent. Players seeking extra durability should stick with the 16 gauge.

• Length: 40 ft/12m
• Gauge: 16/1.29mm
• Color: Black
• Construction: Monofilament Co-polymer
• Advantage: Excellent balance of power
and control

stanfordtennis alum
08-17-2009, 12:54 PM
So this string is a Poly ?? i thought it was a Natural gut ?? LOL compared to BC, i am sure it is good but how does it compare to Proline 2 ?

yes, it is a co-poly.. i tried pro line 2 a lil while ago and i like the black magic much better if you are looking for feel and comfort in a poly.. strings are personal so i would just give it a try. it's a lot cheaper than the PL2 too

Fedace
08-17-2009, 12:56 PM
yes, it is a co-poly.. i tried pro line 2 a lil while ago and i like the black magic much better if you are looking for feel and comfort in a poly.. strings are personal so i would just give it a try. it's a lot cheaper than the PL2 too

Ok i will try it just cause you recommend it. but i better be hitting some dropshots like Novak Djokovic or i am dumping it......lol

120mphBodyServe
09-16-2009, 07:15 AM
How much lower are you going with your tensions compared to multifilament strings???

PROTENNIS63
09-16-2009, 09:22 AM
Most people drop the tension 10%.

stanfordtennis alum
09-16-2009, 02:07 PM
i personally string it at the same tension as all of my previous poly setups..no tension drop for me

nickarnold2000
09-17-2009, 07:48 AM
Would it be fair to say that since Spin X is less powerful than BM, X is more suitable for those who play at higher levels, hit the ball harder and have faster racket head speeds?
I'm currently using CB but the power is a little high and the spin isn't as much as Lux Power Rough(I'm a 5.0).
I live in Asia so I'm unable to play test these strings. I'll be ordering a reel of something very soon but thought I'd hear some suggestions before ordering.

PROTENNIS63
09-17-2009, 09:30 AM
Would it be fair to say that since Spin X is less powerful than BM, X is more suitable for those who play at higher levels, hit the ball harder and have faster racket head speeds?
I'm currently using CB but the power is a little high and the spin isn't as much as Lux Power Rough(I'm a 5.0).
I live in Asia so I'm unable to play test these strings. I'll be ordering a reel of something very soon but thought I'd hear some suggestions before ordering.

I think you are spot on. Spin X is for players who not only take full swings, but actually hit a heavy ball with massive power and spin. But I think Black Magic will be suited more towards regular players who like poly strings.

In terms of power, I think you can say Black Magic has more.

nickarnold2000
09-18-2009, 07:09 AM
I think you are spot on. Spin X is for players who not only take full swings, but actually hit a heavy ball with massive power and spin. But I think Black Magic will be suited more towards regular players who like poly strings.

Thanks for the helpful post:)

old coach
09-18-2009, 08:54 AM

What the tension loss would say Genesis Spin X has?

monomakh
09-18-2009, 09:05 AM

I have the opposite experience, actually. At the same tension, in my racquets with my swing, the SpinX was more powerful. Compared to Cyber Blue, the SpinX would be superior in power, comfort, and spin, less on control.

I found SpinX to be far more powerful and soft than Black Magic. For a poly, it provided remarkable pocketing and comfort. My last set died quickly though, which was a surprise.

If CB is too powerful for you, I would select Black Magic over SpinX, though I can't tell much, if any, difference between CB and BM in the power department.

old coach
09-18-2009, 10:15 AM
I have the opposite experience, actually. At the same tension, in my racquets with my swing, the SpinX was more powerful. Compared to Cyber Blue, the SpinX would be superior in power, comfort, and spin, less on control.

I found SpinX to be far more powerful and soft than Black Magic. For a poly, it provided remarkable pocketing and comfort. My last set died quickly though, which was a surprise.

That's similar what Protennis is claiming. Is that possibly that the player who is using Spin X and hits hard, will benefit a lot more by heavier and more powerfull ball produced by these strings.

acer4tennis
09-18-2009, 10:25 AM
What the tension loss would say Genesis Spin X has?
I've read somewhere that tension loss a minimal - like 2-3% overnight or playing 2 hours. Can some one comment on that?

monomakh
09-18-2009, 11:28 AM
I've read somewhere that tension loss a minimal - like 2-3% overnight or playing 2 hours. Can some one comment on that?

I don't know specifically about tension loss - I don't measure that, all I measure is feel. What I do know is that the one time I did not saw through the crosses (when using a multi) or snap the mains first (when using BAM), the "feel", power, and control of the SpinX went away quicker than I expected (global gut crosses, there may have been some moisture that got to the strings... possibly), maybe 6 hours or less of court time. It's the only set that has done that so far.

I haven't had BM last long enough yet to reach the dead period.

I also want to mention that I felt the BM had a noticeable break-in period. After 30 minutes or so, it's great, but those first 30 weren't so hot. SpinX did not have that issue in my experience.

MomentumGT
09-18-2009, 06:47 PM
I had a set of BM and strung it 1lbs. tighter @ 56lbs on my AG200 18x20 as the sales person said it was considerably softer than the usual Cyber Flash or Red Code I use. Black Magic's performance was no where near the CF and RedCode other than say my serve. Spin was not as good either so I tucked it away in my bag for over 2 weeks.

Last night I decided for some odd reason to hit with the racket that had the BM. The tension loss was apparent from sitting, but not too dramatic. The string ended up playing REALLY nicely. My serve was popping, groundies were heavy, and the pocketing of the string bed was really nice creating more topspin from what I felt. Spin was still not up there like the Red Code but wasn't nearly as bad as the first initial hit. I personally think this string is better at lower tensions.

-Jon

stanfordtennis alum
09-19-2009, 04:28 PM
I had a set of BM and strung it 1lbs. tighter @ 56lbs on my AG200 18x20 as the sales person said it was considerably softer than the usual Cyber Flash or Red Code I use. Black Magic's performance was no where near the CF and RedCode other than say my serve. Spin was not as good either so I tucked it away in my bag for over 2 weeks.

Last night I decided for some odd reason to hit with the racket that had the BM. The tension loss was apparent from sitting, but not too dramatic. The string ended up playing REALLY nicely. My serve was popping, groundies were heavy, and the pocketing of the string bed was really nice creating more topspin from what I felt. Spin was still not up there like the Red Code but wasn't nearly as bad as the first initial hit. I personally think this string is better at lower tensions.

-Jon

interesting write-up on your experience... most of my students who use this string really enjoy it and only 1 or 2 have commented that the strings required a short break-in period

would agree that it works best with lower tensions

SecondServe
09-19-2009, 05:57 PM
I also experience a dramatic difference in this string freshly strung compared to it with 2+ hours broken in; and really enjoy this string after the break-in period. I hybrid this with 16 and 17g Gosen OG and can't say enough good things about this poly compared to others I've used. The next closest string I have found is WeissCannon Silverstring which also has a similar break-in period for me.

Yenster
09-20-2009, 07:04 PM
I can't find it on TW. Help?

monomakh
09-21-2009, 11:10 AM
you'll find it at the depot of tennis. TW does not have a relationship with Genesis

Power Player
09-21-2009, 12:26 PM
I am getting an apdc strung up with some BM at 56# as we speak. I should hit with it tomorrow. I think 56# should be a good tension for it hopefully.

SecondServe
09-21-2009, 12:54 PM
I am getting an apdc strung up with some BM at 56# as we speak. I should hit with it tomorrow. I think 56# should be a good tension for it hopefully.

What tension do you normally string a full bed of poly? At that tension it might start out a little stiff, but it does break in well and you should be good.

SecondServe
09-21-2009, 04:11 PM
What tension do you normally string a full bed of poly?

I really should read people's signatures...ignore my previous post. I would be very interested in hearing your comparison of the BM and the CF you currently use after you get a chance to hit with it.

mrmo1115
09-21-2009, 04:49 PM
How does it compare to PHT and PL II ?

Power Player
09-22-2009, 01:28 PM
What tension do you normally string a full bed of poly? At that tension it might start out a little stiff, but it does break in well and you should be good.

Sadly with the apdc, I have to go from between 57-60#. I am just trying to get it lower because full Poly should be at a lower tension IMO.

So far the string is nice. Pretty much what I expected. I have hit with a full western grip at all times to control this racquet though. Cyberflash is great, but give me around 8 hours with this string before I compare them. the BM is definitley softer.

Il Mostro
09-23-2009, 12:45 AM
Just added a 17g reel to my inventory. Tried this in a sampler pack and was very impressed. I still stock Black Code, but for the cognoscenti this is the one to spend your own money on.

Power Player
09-23-2009, 07:31 AM
Hit with it again last night and it is a great string so far. The spin is good and the feeling is incredible hitting the sweet spot.

Cfidave
09-23-2009, 09:14 AM
Can anyone compare it to Technifibre Black Code. I am using BC in a hybrid currently, and find it a very soft, powerful string, with good feel and spin. Sounds like the Genesis product is similar.

domhas1
09-23-2009, 01:41 PM
Can anyone compare it to Technifibre Black Code. I am using BC in a hybrid currently, and find it a very soft, powerful string, with good feel and spin. Sounds like the Genesis product is similar.

What do you hybrid the black code with? I have a set but am not sure whether to string it up full or do a hybrid...

Cfidave
09-23-2009, 03:31 PM
What do you hybrid the black code with? I have a set but am not sure whether to string it up full or do a hybrid...

I hybrid it with Pro Supex maximum touch. Maximum touch is very similar to NRG2 at a very good price, I find the combination very, very good, great ball pocketing, with a lot of pop.

stanfordtennis alum
09-23-2009, 05:16 PM

i found black magic to be more powerful and have better feel and comfort than black code... both are great strings and cant go wrong with either one

Power Player
09-23-2009, 07:52 PM
I just got my apdc modified to 21.oz so the SW is 345. I am hoping that will help me string the Black Magic even lower next time at around 54# and still keep the racquet under control.

I played for 3 hours tonight and the strings were awesome. I like this string better then CyberFlash I think. Let's see how long it lasts. I am at 5 hours now.

Il Mostro
09-24-2009, 05:22 AM

If you live in West Virginia, you could call them kissing cousins (or brother and sister). :-)

nickarnold2000
09-25-2009, 07:32 AM
i found black magic to be more powerful and have better feel and comfort than black code... both are great strings and cant go wrong with either one
Except that Black Code is way more expensive!!

Kcraig
09-25-2009, 09:52 AM
Was wondering how the two of these compared in terms of comfort/softness and power. I really like Cyberblue and how soft it plays. Any insight is appreciated--thanks and CO COCKS!!!!!!!:)

TennisandMusic
09-25-2009, 10:01 AM

I found the exact opposite with these strings.

Black code has far more power than black magic, and black code is also softer. For me I would rather spend the money on black code, than save the money and buy black magic.

bad_call
09-25-2009, 10:12 AM
I found the exact opposite with these strings.

Black code has far more power than black magic, and black code is also softer. For me I would rather spend the money on black code, than save the money and buy black magic.

what gauge are u referring for both strings?

TennisandMusic
09-25-2009, 10:23 AM
what gauge are u referring for both strings?

17 on both.

bad_call
09-25-2009, 10:34 AM
17 on both.

thanks. got some of both in 17 to try down the road.

Keifers
09-25-2009, 10:49 AM
thanks. got some of both in 17 to try down the road.
Please give us your impressions when you have, b_c.

Thanks.

bad_call
09-25-2009, 11:15 AM
Please give us your impressions when you have, b_c.

Thanks.

sure, no problem...may be a while cause not a big string breaker.

Keifers
09-25-2009, 12:30 PM
sure, no problem...may be a while cause not a big string breaker.
No worries, I'll be interested whenever you get to it.

This notion of a poly that actually has feel and excellent tension maintenance is very intriguing to me because the polys and poly hybrids I've tried so far have not come close to performing as well overall for my game as a gut/syn hybrid.

bad_call
09-25-2009, 05:36 PM
No worries, I'll be interested whenever you get to it.

This notion of a poly that actually has feel and excellent tension maintenance is very intriguing to me because the polys and poly hybrids I've tried so far have not come close to performing as well overall for my game as a gut/syn hybrid.

thus far using BAM in the mains or crosses (haven't tried a full stringjob) has performed the best for what i am looking for...comfort, feel, control, power and spin - somewhat in that order.

i have full poly in one racquet (Hex 1.1 mains and BAM crosses) which probably needs a tension drop of 1-2 lbs. only a few sets and the mains are halfway notched so don't expect great durability with a full poly job. from what i've read Hex 1.1 doesn't have great durability. however the racquet string job with BAM mains and syn gut crosses is still going strong.

so next up will be BC mains and syn gut crosses...unless i get another idea. :)

Keifers
09-25-2009, 05:56 PM
thus far using BAM in the mains or crosses (haven't tried a full stringjob) has performed the best for what i am looking for...comfort, feel, control, power and spin - somewhat in that order.

i have full poly in one racquet (Hex 1.1 mains and BAM crosses) which probably needs a tension drop of 1-2 lbs. only a few sets and the mains are halfway notched so don't expect great durability with a full poly job. from what i've read Hex 1.1 doesn't have great durability. however the racquet string job with BAM mains and syn gut crosses is still going strong.

so next up will be BC mains and syn gut crosses...unless i get another idea. :)
I've never tried full poly in any of my racquets, but I did play a match with a friend's Prestige Classic mid with full Alu Power -- very nice combo; excellent pop with very good control. Still the best full-poly combo I've ever hit with.

BA 1.22 mains and Maxim Touch 1.25 crosses have worked well for me in an AG100. Alu Fluoro 1.23 and TNT2 Pro Plus 1.24 in a 4 stripe POG OS didn't feel very comfortable at all, despite dropping mains tension 6 lbs from my normal, non-poly tension.

bad_call
09-25-2009, 06:03 PM
I've never tried full poly in any of my racquets, but I did play a match with a friend's Prestige Classic mid with full Alu Power -- very nice combo; excellent pop with very good control. Still the best full-poly combo I've ever hit with.

BA 1.22 mains and Maxim Touch 1.25 crosses have worked well for me in an AG100. Alu Fluoro 1.23 and TNT2 Pro Plus 1.24 in a 4 stripe POG OS didn't feel very comfortable at all, despite dropping mains tension 6 lbs from my normal, non-poly tension.

if you want to try a set of BAM and have strings to trade, shoot me an email thru my username. BAM plays very different than BA 1.22. think you will be surprised.

oh - apologies to the OP for the side track.

Keifers
09-25-2009, 10:45 PM
if you want to try a set of BAM and have strings to trade, shoot me an email thru my username. BAM plays very different than BA 1.22. think you will be surprised.

oh - apologies to the OP for the side track.
I'll e-mail you this weekend.

My apologies also to the OP.

bad_call
09-27-2009, 07:04 PM
Keifers - hit with BC / syn gut strung same as BAM / syn gut. decent poly with feel but the lack of ball pocketing didn't win points for me or on the court. maybe it will work for me another day...or maybe not. :neutral:

Keifers
09-27-2009, 09:26 PM
Keifers - hit with BC / syn gut strung same as BAM / syn gut. decent poly with feel but the lack of ball pocketing didn't win points for me or on the court. maybe it will work for me another day...or maybe not. :neutral:
Thanks, b_c. I just sent you an e-mail.