PDA

View Full Version : Woman 'pregnant with record-breaking TWELVE babies' after having IVF

Dutch-Guy
08-17-2009, 11:13 AM
A mother is set to give birth to 12 babies this month, breaking the record set by U.S. mother Nadya Suleman who delivered healthy octuplets.

The teacher from Tunisia is expecting six boys and six girls, after undergoing fertility treatment.

The woman - who is yet to be named - and her husband of two years turned to IVF after suffering two miscarriages.
She said she was now looking forward to hugging her babies.
Despite the risks of a multiple-pregnancy, the family who live in Gafsa, southwest of Tunis the capital, said it was an 'amazing and wonderful miracle'.
The expectant father who teaches Arabic at a high school said news of the duodecaplets came as a complete shock.
'In the beginning, we thought that my wife would give birth to twins, but more foetuses were discovered,' the father said, named in local reports as Marwan.
'Our joy increased with the growing number.'
Marwan said doctors had told his wife she would be able to give birth naturally, but experts say this would be impossible.

In January, divorced U.S. mother Nadya Suleman gave birth to the world's longest surviving octuplets, conceived through in vitro fertilisation.
In May, Nuala Conway gave birth to Britain's first sextuplets for a quarter of a century.

The 29-year-old first-time mother said she conceived naturally with husband Austin Conway. One girl of the four girls and two boys, died last month.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1207158/Tunisian-woman-pregnant-12-babies-smash-record-octuplets-mother.html

What else can you say.This is just madness.

Lakoste
08-17-2009, 11:43 AM
Disgusting. Instead of going the in vitro route they should have adopted.

At least I'll have something new to watch on TLC.

raiden031
08-17-2009, 11:49 AM
Very irresponsible medicine. They say its a miracle but its actually a tragedy because most if not all of them will die.

ubermeyer
08-17-2009, 12:22 PM
Disgusting. Instead of going the in vitro route they should have adopted.

At least I'll have something new to watch on TLC.

they want their own child, it cannot compare to an adoption

CCNM
08-17-2009, 12:45 PM
It's really sad the lengths people will go to in order to have a child.

S H O W S T O P P E R !
08-17-2009, 12:46 PM
Octomom's about to start a baby war with this woman.

FedererForehand
08-17-2009, 01:00 PM
Holy Crap!!!

Fedace
08-17-2009, 01:01 PM
Are you talking about the Golden Retriever or Great Dane ??

stanfordtennis alum
08-17-2009, 01:02 PM
this is disgusting.. simply insane

tennismonster
08-17-2009, 01:10 PM
this is disgusting.. simply insane

well put not natural at all...

flyinghippos101
08-17-2009, 01:11 PM
Not as bad as that family that has like freaking 18 kids... AND COUNTING.

RealityPolice
08-17-2009, 01:12 PM
400 babies....

flyinghippos101
08-17-2009, 01:14 PM
400 babies....

Powerthirst FTW

soyizgood
08-17-2009, 01:14 PM
The world record for most children was held by a woman that had 32 kids, I believe. So her and Octomom have a LONG way to go.

ubermeyer
08-17-2009, 01:21 PM
The world record for most children was held by a woman that had 32 kids, I believe. So her and Octomom have a LONG way to go.

quite wrong, one woman had 69 kids LOL i'm not joking. she always had multiple births though for some reason.

malakas
08-17-2009, 01:33 PM
poor woman. :(

FedFan_2009
08-17-2009, 01:38 PM
Who does she think she is a female dog?

vkartikv
08-17-2009, 01:41 PM
and why this makes the daily news, i wonder..

フェデラー
08-17-2009, 01:45 PM
wow she probably cant support any of them. nadia suleman cant support her children as she once thought. She makes 250$ off each kid for every day of filming. She is going to make like >50,000$ after taxes.

mhstennis100
08-17-2009, 02:19 PM
With in vitro is it random how many children you have? Could she just have easily ended up having one child? Sorry I've never read into in vitro

S H O W S T O P P E R !
08-17-2009, 02:29 PM
400 babies....

and they'll run like KENYANS!

hankash
08-17-2009, 02:41 PM
Man invitro is messed up. If people can't have kids naturally, someone has to tell them "Too bad, maybe you could adopt".

flyinghippos101
08-17-2009, 03:18 PM
Man invitro is messed up. If people can't have kids naturally, someone has to tell them "Too bad, maybe you could adopt".

+1 There are a ton of orphans out there that could use a loving family :neutral:

Dedans Penthouse
08-17-2009, 06:36 PM
"Push! c'mon push!........it's a boy!....push!..that's it, push!......ah, it's a beautiful girl!......."

....later.....

.....(mother): "ah-choo!" ....(doctor): "Gazunite... another girl....."

....."cough please"............ "boy"................

..........."let's break for lunch"....................

raiden031
08-17-2009, 06:41 PM
With in vitro is it random how many children you have? Could she just have easily ended up having one child? Sorry I've never read into in vitro

No but I believe they implant several eggs to increase the chances of pregnancy, with the added risk that multiple eggs get fertilized. Thats why its so common for this kind of thing to happen.

Topaz
08-17-2009, 07:01 PM
No but I believe they implant several eggs to increase the chances of pregnancy, with the added risk that multiple eggs get fertilized. Thats why its so common for this kind of thing to happen.

Oh please, it is *not* common for 12 fetuses. Twins...sure. Triplets...small chance.

There is such a small chance of multiple eggs getting fertilized...this is really an anomaly. They do implant several, but in the states it is more like 4 eggs...not 12. The guy said it in the interview...he was thinking twins may happen, but they were not expecting or planning for this. This isn't octomom...this is a couple who wanted their own child.

So, why all the disgust and criticism?

Is anyone here actually speaking from a position of someone who desperately wants a child and has been told they can not have one? Does anybody here have any clue as to how long it takes to adopt a child and how rigorous it is to do it legally?

I'm thinking, based on the responses...no and no.

They had in vitro. If you look down upon it because you think it is unnatural, take a good look at what you put in your own body, by choice, every day. Probably pretty unnatural as well.

hollywood9826
08-17-2009, 08:11 PM
I work with a dude that adopted a little girl from guatemala. the hoops he had to got through and the trips he had to take as well as the actual cost of it is super high. Probably not much different than IVF. its just his wife was unable to get cleared medically to actually carry the child herself so they adopted.

IVF is fine with me. if they cant get pregnant the olefashined way nothings wrong with a bit of help. But why would they plant 12 eggs (or more) is beyond anything I can imagine. It must be chaper to put 12 or more in there instead of trying maybe 3 or 4 eggs and hoping 1 of them actually works.

I would be very surpirisedif 2 of these kids are alive a year after they are born. The docs went way over board on this one it would seem. But Tiger woods lost a tourney he was leading after 3 rds, so odd things can and will happen. Hopefully they have all 12 and they are healthy move to america and become a dominant team if Pop warner football. they have the whole field covered plaus a kicker :)

Lakoste
08-17-2009, 11:44 PM
Does anybody here have any clue as to how long it takes to adopt a child and how rigorous it is to do it legally?

So your rational for choosing in vitro over adoption is because adoption can be difficult and might take a while. Solid.

tennis_hand
08-18-2009, 12:23 AM
the poorer you are, the more kids you have.
the more kids you have, the poorer you are.

PimpMyGame
08-18-2009, 12:35 AM
Why does everyone say it's disgusting? It's not like she chose to have 12 babies, there's not too much she can do about it. Call it a freak of nature if you will, and I don't know what chance of survival these babies will have, but IVF has been a successful road to take for many childless couples.

Dutch-Guy
08-18-2009, 02:31 AM
Why does everyone say it's disgusting? It's not like she chose to have 12 babies, there's not too much she can do about it. Call it a freak of nature if you will, and I don't know what chance of survival these babies will have, but IVF has been a successful road to take for many childless couples.
It's disgusting coz there's no chance that one single mother can deal properly with 12 newborn kids at the same time.
This is grossly irresponsible by the IVF clinic.
Plus the taxpayers of her country 'll get to pay for raising her kids,unless her family was wealthy by their own means.

PimpMyGame
08-18-2009, 02:47 AM
It's disgusting coz there's no chance that one single mother can deal properly with 12 newborn kids at the same time.
This is grossly irresponsible by the IVF clinic.
Plus the taxpayers of her country 'll get to pay for raising her kids,unless her family was wealthy by their own means.

I'm assuming your rant is because she is not opting for selective reduction. There may be religious reasons why the parents will not do this. They may be so desperate for a family and know that several of these children will die, so will not opt for selective reduction.

There is no feeling on earth like losing a child - if you want to get me started on this topic I may not be able to keep quiet for some time. Do you have complete empathy with these people and still think their actions are disgusting, or are you incensed for some other reason?

Your argument about taxpayers of their country is also majorly flawed unless you have a working knowledge of the country's social security system and the family's personal wealth. Go on, enlighten me.

angharad
08-18-2009, 06:14 AM

She most likely chose to have that number of inseminated eggs implanted. It can be expensive to have more than one implantation procedure performed, so the doctor will implant multiple eggs to increase the chances that one will "take". There are no limits on the number of eggs that can be implanted at a single time, although it's considered pretty irresponsible to go over four or five. Unless there was some freak luck, and each egg that was implanted split into twins or more, it's likely that the mother approved of the number of eggs being implanted.

I don't find it disgusting, but I do find it very sad. The survival rate for any one of those children is bound to be very low and the possibility of debilitating birth defects is very high. It'll be a tough road for that family for quite some time.

Adoption would have been a suitable option. Yes, it's time-consuming and costly but I doubt it's worse financially than IVF and a pregnancy involving a dozen kids. And you know what? When you adopt a kid, it becomes your kid. Blood matters very little. I have too many adopted relatives to believe otherwise.

hankash
08-18-2009, 06:27 AM
I think there's a reason why people can't have kids, there's a reason why disease exists, there's a reason why resources are limited. All of them keep the population in check and keep it sustainable over time.

Once we find every cure to every disease, every possible way to have a kid, every possible way to get the most bang from the buck from our land, the earth will be overworked (see the effects of desertification) and will take a while to reboot. Instead of the population rising steadily and plateauing, it's rising exponentially, and will most likely crash, and then rise again.

max
08-18-2009, 06:51 AM
Bad use of medical technology. We must always remember that just because we have a new hammer doesn't mean everything needs pounding.

YULitle
08-18-2009, 06:54 AM
Bad use of medical technology. We must always remember that just because we have a new hammer doesn't mean everything needs pounding.

Nice choice of words, Max. :lol: I think the ineffective pounding was what got her into this situation. ;)

PimpMyGame
08-18-2009, 08:48 AM
I think there's a reason why people can't have kids, there's a reason why disease exists, there's a reason why resources are limited. All of them keep the population in check and keep it sustainable over time.

I agree with this from a general point of view, but you might like to try telling that to someone who's trying to concieve, or worse someone who lost a child through a disease such as cancer. It's then that you realise the fundamental problem with this as a thought process, when you're dealing with human beings.

Dedans Penthouse
08-18-2009, 11:33 AM
Nice choice of words, Max. :lol: I think the ineffective pounding was what got her into this situation. ;)You read my mind like a book YULitle....lol.

LuckyR
08-18-2009, 05:09 PM
Stay tuned: http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iEAyA506FLCtzSIAL1q2C-BKyocQD9A5EKHG3

Sounds bogus... IVF to treat 2 misscarriages? IVF program in Gafsa? No due date at the Press conference? Where's the NICU in Tunisia?

Her 15 minutes of fame are about to expire...