PDA

View Full Version : Indentions on strings

Smitty7712
08-17-2009, 11:27 AM
I got my racket strung with VS gut and hurricane pro and after about a month of play i began to notice that the hurricane had little ridges or indentions where the VS gut sat and that the string no longer moves when hitting the ball. As i understand, you need some sort of movement on the strings to generate spin and since this has occured I am finding it tremendously difficult to spin the ball in. My play style involves alot of spin and now I cannot seem to place the ball in the court. I switched back to another stick with a different sting set that I didnt like and found myself hitting more in with that than with the other stick with the indented strings. I LOVED the strings when I first got them yet now they are...bad.... Is this normal and how can I prevent it. String tension is 58.

P.S. What I mean by indentions is that the strings set in those ridges and do not move. They literally hold themselves in place in the ridges.

Sublime
08-17-2009, 12:47 PM
Those ridges are called notching.

When you hit a ground stroke, the mains move quite a bit, but crosses stay pretty much in the same place.

As the mains move, the crosses saw into them and form the notches. If you hit hard with a lot of spin, this notching happens almost immediately. When the notches get about halfway through the string, it breaks.

This shouldn't affect the performance too much as the mains should still move fairly freely.

chris
08-17-2009, 01:01 PM
this happens with every string is this your first string set up? thats how you break strings the strings grind against eachother when you hit causing notching and eventually a broken string

Smitty7712
08-17-2009, 01:11 PM
well i have had other string sets and it hasnt done that quite this bad but the strings are virtually unmovable. I have to actually pop them out when I move them. I hope they break soon because it really seems like it is affecting the performance. When i switched to a racket with strings I didn't like but didn't have the grooves, it hit much better than the grooved set. I got so mad yesterday that I almost chucked my Aero Pro into the ground and I never get quite that angry. Spin seems almost unachievable lately.

chris
08-17-2009, 06:06 PM
what was your previous set up

Smitty7712
08-17-2009, 07:10 PM
gamma livewire and tonic gut. The ridged strings still have some playibility but nothing like before.