PDA

View Full Version : Dropping tension without restringing.

Rune34
08-17-2009, 08:01 PM
What's a good way of dropping tension, would putting a weight on the strings work?

CHOcobo
08-17-2009, 08:19 PM
i also want to know. i asked to string my racket at 52lb and it came back about 60lb (felt like it).

dancraig
08-17-2009, 08:47 PM
The best way would be to just play with it and wait a few days, it will lose tension. They can lose a significant percentage of their tension just sittting in the bag overnight. Some people claim you can stand on the strings for a few seconds to stretch the strings. I have never tried it.

TennisNinja
08-17-2009, 08:47 PM
Step on the string bed (not too hard!!!). It actually works.

Tennis Dunce
08-18-2009, 08:15 AM
String is designed to keep string manufacturers and stringers in business. If you want to drop tension, try looking at your racquet for about 15 minutes. That should result in a significant decrease.

Terr
08-18-2009, 10:18 PM
There are various ways to do this. Not all of them are hazard free for your racquet.

1) Leave it in your car trunk on a sunny day while your car is parked outside. The heat will cause the strings to loosen up a bit. Though you risk damaging your frame too.

2) Place your racquet flat on the floor, place an old towel on the stringbed and step (one foot) on the centre of the bed. Do this for just a few seconds otherwise you could warp the framse. Then test it out with a ball. Do it again if you need it to loosen up more. (You can even do this at practice. Just get there a little earlier than usual. Tweak your tension and start playing.)

3) Grab a hairdryer, put it on the medium heat setting and blow the hot air onto the centre of your stringbed. Be careful to avoid your frame as much as possible. Do this in short bursts since you can control the loosening more this way.

4) Don't play with that racquet for a couple of days. The strings will naturally loosen up.

All of these methods come with disadvantages. I would personally just leave it alone for a few days. If I desperately needed to lower tension, I'd use the hairdryer method.

CHOcobo
08-18-2009, 11:06 PM
hairdryer method seems like safest to me. ill try that someday, thanks.
leaving it untouch for a few days, does it actually work?? i left mine unplayed for a week and the tension are still the same.

Casco
08-19-2009, 01:30 AM
IF it's a co-poly stretching it will also ruin it's elasticity quicker. Time will do your work for you.

Tennis Dunce
08-19-2009, 08:23 AM
hairdryer method seems like safest to me. ill try that someday, thanks.
leaving it untouch for a few days, does it actually work?? i left mine unplayed for a week and the tension are still the same.

Bet you a thousand euros it's not.

tennisfreak15347
08-19-2009, 08:36 AM
There are various ways to do this. Not all of them are hazard free for your racquet.

1) Leave it in your car trunk on a sunny day while your car is parked outside. The heat will cause the strings to loosen up a bit. Though you risk damaging your frame too.

2) Place your racquet flat on the floor, place an old towel on the stringbed and step (one foot) on the centre of the bed. Do this for just a few seconds otherwise you could warp the framse. Then test it out with a ball. Do it again if you need it to loosen up more. (You can even do this at practice. Just get there a little earlier than usual. Tweak your tension and start playing.)

3) Grab a hairdryer, put it on the medium heat setting and blow the hot air onto the centre of your stringbed. Be careful to avoid your frame as much as possible. Do this in short bursts since you can control the loosening more this way.

4) Don't play with that racquet for a couple of days. The strings will naturally loosen up.

what about the most obvious method, method number 5? 5) play with the racquet until the tension suits you. remember that strings lose an average of 10-15% tension within the first 24 hours of stringing, and will continue to lose a little bit more of tension in the first day of play, then gradually decrease.

CHOcobo
08-19-2009, 08:51 AM
Bet you a thousand euros it's not.

well.....if it really is then it's very very unnoticeable.

hoodjem
08-19-2009, 09:02 AM
2) Place your racquet flat on the floor, place an old towel on the stringbed and step (one foot) on the centre of the bed. Do this for just a few seconds otherwise you could warp the frames. Then test it out with a ball. Do it again if you need it to loosen up more. (You can even do this at practice. Just get there a little earlier than usual. Tweak your tension and start playing.)
I call this the Lennart Bergelin method. I've used it. It seems to work--just be gentle and careful.

tennis.yellow.balls
08-19-2009, 10:20 AM
Do these methods work with natural gut as well? Standing on strings would seem to cause the frame to bow and/or bend at bit, so that seems like it would warp the frame regardless of how much weight is put on it.

ronalditop
08-19-2009, 04:52 PM
To reduce the tension of my strings what i do is put the head of the racquet in a table or something flat with the handle hanging off the table and apply force to the center of the stringbed, and when it doesnt stretch anymore and you want less tension then apply force to the sides of the stringbed to reduce more tension. I dont do that method of putting the racquet on the floor and stepping on the stringsbecause the racquet is not completely flat and it can be deformed easily.