PDA

View Full Version : Clubs in Boston

buckfastlover
08-18-2009, 04:10 AM
Hi guys,

Can anyone recommend tennis clubs in Boston? We're hoping to live in Cambridge/Waltham/Somerville and are moving there in 2 weeks from Ireland. We are looking for competitive tennis, and are likely somewhere between 4.0 and 4.5, but not entirely sure.

Any info is appreciated!!

jrod
08-18-2009, 05:40 AM
Here ya go: http://www.tennisnortheast.com/BostonTennisClubs.htm

I'm familiar with a few clubs in the middlesex county area. Waltham Athletic Club is not my favorite facility (little run down), but it will get you plugged into leagues in the area.

shissncg
08-18-2009, 05:43 AM
The Woburn Racquet Club usually has a bunch of things going on, some tourneys, leagues, etc.

buckfastlover
08-18-2009, 06:14 AM
Thanks guys! I've looked into those and I'm so surprised you have to pay for court time on top of your membership fee!

At the minute in my club I have unrestricted access to courts and play every day! It will be hard to cut down when I get to Boston!

I've registered with the North East Tennis and it looks great.
Thanks again!

jrod
08-18-2009, 06:18 AM
Thanks guys! I've looked into those and I'm so surprised you have to pay for court time on top of your membership fee!

At the minute in my club I have unrestricted access to courts and play every day! It will be hard to cut down when I get to Boston!

I've registered with the North East Tennis and it looks great.
Thanks again!

Court time can be expensive around here. My court fees FAR exceed my membership fees, with courts costing between $24 to $40 per hour, depending on the club and time of year. Hopefully you have a good paying job to support your habit!

buckfastlover
08-18-2009, 06:35 AM
Hey JRod,

Well the worst of it is that I have no job as we're travelling over to the States through my husbands job. He will be working and I have no visa to work so it looks like I will be trying to fill my time in the winter with something other than tennis. I'm sure we can afford it but can we get it?! I'm so disappointed!!

A lot of clubs I have seen even have restricted court times, one club only allowed you to play two hours a week. I was going to use the 12-18 months to work on improving my tennis and play leagues and tournys but I'm not sure I'll be able to do that now.:cry:

This is probably common knowledge to you guys but I'm totally shocked like the innocent muppet I am!

jrod
08-18-2009, 06:48 AM
Hey JRod,

Well the worst of it is that I have no job as we're travelling over to the States through my husbands job. He will be working and I have no visa to work so it looks like I will be trying to fill my time in the winter with something other than tennis. I'm sure we can afford it but can we get it?! I'm so disappointed!!

A lot of clubs I have seen even have restricted court times, one club only allowed you to play two hours a week. I was going to use the 12-18 months to work on improving my tennis and play leagues and tournys but I'm not sure I'll be able to do that now.:cry:

This is probably common knowledge to you guys but I'm totally shocked like the innocent muppet I am!

You should be able to find a club that doesn't restrict your court time. During the school year court time is typically used up as follows:

1. 8am- noon: Mostly women, women leagues and retired folks.
2. Noon - 3 PM: Best value time as courts are generally underutilized in this window.
3. 3PM - 6 PM: Mostly kids, juniors and clinics run after school. Very busy time.
4. After 7 PM: Mostly men.

Weekends are club dependent but mens league matches generally take place Saturday afternoon so capacity could be limited then. Also, at some clubs you can purchase contract time at a discount which allocates a time window (~90 minutes) to your group. I usually purchase one or two contracts for different groups I play with and also the team will typically purchase a contract which is cost shared among the players.

zeeksmith
08-18-2009, 10:21 AM
Check out The Longfellow Club (two locations), one in Wayland and Natick. Both are well-known for their tennis leagues, good players, etc. Phil Parrish, a former tennis industry veteran is the Director at the Wayland location.

http://www.longfellowclubs.com/longfellowclub.htm

buckfastlover
08-19-2009, 03:26 AM
Thank you guys! We are in Boston this weekend and meeting up with people in Waltham TC and Boston Athletic Club (?) to have a look around their facilities and be evaluated. I've never been evaluated before it's pretty exciting!

Zeeksmith, I'll contact the Longfellow Club too, thanks for the heads up.
Leona

jrod
08-19-2009, 04:40 AM
Check out The Longfellow Club (two locations), one in Wayland and Natick. Both are well-known for their tennis leagues, good players, etc. Phil Parrish, a former tennis industry veteran is the Director at the Wayland location.

http://www.longfellowclubs.com/longfellowclub.htm

Phill is a great guy....very helpful and generous.