PDA

View Full Version : Prince 03 speedport setup

Reezy
08-18-2009, 03:36 PM
just bought one and had it strung with luxilon alu power..just curious what others have it strung with...also wat grommets do you perfer

chaddles
08-18-2009, 03:42 PM
just bought one and had it strung with luxilon alu power..just curious what others have it strung with...also wat grommets do you perfer

Is this the Black you are talking about??

Reezy
08-18-2009, 04:29 PM
yes it is...

Reezy
08-18-2009, 05:09 PM
hey where do you get colored inserts?..

chaddles
08-18-2009, 05:13 PM
I first tried the Black with the Port Inserts with Alu Rough on the main and NXT 16 on the crosses @ 58lb - I did enjoy this set up initially, I had good power and good top spin but the control wasn't quite right, especially when I really tried to rip a big top spinner. Only drama was I developed a really sore arm so while I was restringing it a bit looser I thought I may as well try the Hole inserts.

So last weekend I put in the Hole Inserts with NXT mains and Alu Power crosses (as in sig) and wow!! I've only had the one hitting session the other day and the difference was unbelievable - there was so much more control with shots. After a few rallies my confidence grew and I started to take some really big swipes at the ball and (according to hitting partner) I was hitting deep heavy balls consistently on the forehand and generally a lot more accurate. The backhand was probably the greatest surprise - I play one handed bh and can be a bit erratic at times, but the consistancy and power I was getting shocked me and I was hitting it harder than ever. Downside is that when I shanked one, I really shanked it!!! There was not as much forgiveness as there was with the ports.

I wanted to believe in the ports when I first got this racquet, but after using the Hole inserts I have to give them the thumbs up for sure. After dropping the tension down I was expecting more power but less control - but the hole inserts gave that extra control alongside the power I was hoping for.

Next on the agenda is to increase the swingweight a bit to get a little more oomph out of it.

chaddles
08-18-2009, 05:17 PM
hey where do you get colored inserts?..

I got mine from our shop (in Australia) - I didn't know about these until my gf started stringing my racquet and broke the bottom grommets, and gave me the yellow replacements which matched the yellow grip I had. Actually looks pretty good and definitely stands out on the court.

TW sell them:
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/searchresults.html?search=products&searchtext=port+inserts

sgulla
08-18-2009, 06:55 PM
I'm using the string hole inserts which feel great. The first racquet I strung at 57 with a hybrid of Babolat Hurricane (16g) in the mains and Babolat Conquest nylon in the crosses (16g). I felt like I needed a bit more control, so I strung my second racquet with the same string, but at 61 lbs. My control definitely picked up, but it felt slightly stiff. I think I'll end up at 59/60. Have yet to use the string port inserts thinking the power will be too much for me.

The_Question
08-18-2009, 08:33 PM
I had Ashaway Crossfire on for a while, now it's just Gosen Super JC. It's a great classic feeling with the string hole grommets on...