PDA

View Full Version : Who here likes rap music?

LetFirstServe
08-18-2009, 05:42 PM
Well for me I'm a huge Wu-Tang fan since like 95 and even like many of their albums released after The W that not many care about and most didnt even go gold.

But Raekwon's Only Built 4 Cuban Linx 2 is one of the most anticipated albums in hip-hop today and I'm waiting for its release on Sept 8th.

Here is a really good pre release mixtape put together by boy Memory Man yesterday...it spread throughout the internet like a brushfire to all the major sites and shouted Mem out on his twitter.

I just really enjoyed this mixtape and I dont really like mixtapes.

here it is:

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/4346/memorymancubanrevolutio.png

# 1.Cuban Revolution Intro
# 2.All That Money Is Us
# 3.Run Away (ft. Ghostface Killah, Inspectah Deck, Method Man & GZA)
# 4.Better Shoot Something
# 5.Cipher Born (ft. Ghostface Killah & U-God)
# 6.Get Your **** Beat In (ft. Polite, Chip Banks, Ghostface Killah & Trife Diesel)
# 7.Slang Copulation (ft. Nas, Cappadonna & Ghostface Killah)
# 8.Curiosity
# 9.Iron Chef (ft. Ghostface Killah, Polite & Inspectah Deck)
# 10.A Wise Man
# 11.Cuban Revolution Interlude
# 12.We Gettin' Knots (ft. Fat Joe, Armageddon & Big Pun)
# 13.Fearless Ninjas (ft. Ghostface Killah)
# 14.The All-Time Lineup (ft. American CREAM Team, Inspectah Deck & Method Man)
# 15.Live Kid (ft. Notorious BIG & Ghostface Killah)

http://sharebee.com/2da07623

Oh yeah, this thread you can talk about anything hip-hop and only welcome people who like the music and not for those who want to debate racial and cultural ignorance.

Topspin24
08-18-2009, 06:06 PM
Rap is awful.

lancernrg
08-18-2009, 06:07 PM
Oh hell yeah I love rap music. Below is one of my favorites.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o244/lancernrg/510xt2JDhXL_SL500_.jpg

Claudius
08-18-2009, 06:15 PM
I never heard old school rap, so I can't comment on that, but I can say rap today is awful.

diredesire
08-18-2009, 06:17 PM
I'm not a hardcore fan of rap/hip hop, but i have been listening to a bit more recently, to mix it up from my typical repertoire.

LetFirstServe
08-18-2009, 06:18 PM
Rap is awful.

Well good sir, although you went ahead and stated your unwanted opinion anyway I can halfway respect it. I enjoy all genres except for opera and new age country. Now that you are "chillin in Chile" you are obligated to post some good Chilean music because it's in short supply in North America.

LetFirstServe
08-18-2009, 06:21 PM
I never heard old school rap, so I can't comment on that, but I can say rap today is awful.

Any music can be considered awful when it reaches its commercial peak and slightly declining.

NickH87
08-18-2009, 06:45 PM
I like electro/hip hop...check out a group called LMFAO...they are pretty funny.

I mostly listen to electronic, but have been getting into indie/pop/electro groups like empire of the sun and others like MGMT.

the wise wizard
08-18-2009, 06:56 PM
I never liked it that much until about a year ago. I got kind of bored with my blues and jazz albums, and decided to get give hip-hop a chance. I really like listening to The Roots, Wu-Tang, Run Dmc, and A Tribe Called Quest. I cant listen to most of the recent stuff but there are a few, 50 Cent, some of Kanye West's stuff (before he decided the auto-tuner was the greatest thing since slice bread) is alright too.

Topspin24
08-18-2009, 06:59 PM
I am in Chile to play tennis...music varies here like in america. I like the Red Hot Chili Peppers, that gives you taste of what I like. I could careless if you like Rap but to me its just awful, I can't stand it. Anyways, why is my opinion unwanted? The OP said we could post our opinion, negative or not. You couldn't handle a negative thought about what you listen to?

LetFirstServe
08-18-2009, 07:02 PM
^^^I handled it fine according to my reply. On a forum where its not about hip-hop people leave ignorant opinions why they hate it but you just said you thought it was awful which is fine. I was aiming for people to only reply that like hip-hop but people like to post so what the heck.

Now what local Chilean music is good there?

Topspin24
08-18-2009, 07:07 PM
Poop, its like pan-like flutes to regeton/rap to heavy metal.
I don't know how to spell regattttton

LetFirstServe
08-18-2009, 07:18 PM
nah i dont like a lot of reggaeton...mostly classic reggae and some of the newer stuff. I thought they would have had some cool latin jazz

Topspin24
08-18-2009, 07:23 PM
Its not that they don't but I was showing how it varies, I'm just here to get better at tennis, not searching around for interesting music.

diredesire
08-18-2009, 07:31 PM
I am in Chile to play tennis...music varies here like in america. I like the Red Hot Chili Peppers, that gives you taste of what I like. I could careless if you like Rap but to me its just awful, I can't stand it. Anyways, why is my opinion unwanted? The OP said we could post our opinion, negative or not. You couldn't handle a negative thought about what you listen to?
RHCP is one of my favorite bands, although I really dislike some of their albums, so take that for what it's worth. I'm a big fan of Counting Crows and other less-hard-rock-y bands, but as with any given facet of life, talent is talent. Rap and hip hop can be hard to listen to sometimes when you consider the garbage on the radio (I am especially not fond of the blurred lines between hip hop and R&B, and a lot of the content [read as: lack thereof] of radio "rap").

I've been listening to some of the following:
Binary Star, Black Star, Common, Giant Panda, Lighteheaded, People Under the stairs, Sound Providers, Talib Kweli, The Roots, A Tribe Called Quest, and (one of my favorites, because they're a little corny) Ugly Duckling. Not sure what you'd categorize my taste(s) as, but I am pretty floored sometimes when these artists come up with something incredibly clever, smart, witty, or what-have-you. Like I said, talent is talent, I have never been a huge fan of the genre, but I like a lot of these artists because they have (generally) positive messages, and very impressive talent when it comes to lyrics. I'll be biased and gravitate away from radio rap when I know better ;)

I don't think rap/hip-hop will grab the majority of my listening time, but I listen to Pandora a lot during work, and it seems to me that Pandora tends to gravitate towards the "popular" songs that I thumb-up, so I get tired frequently of listening to the same thing over and over. I jump over towards the other side of the spectrum for something "refreshing."

r2473
08-18-2009, 07:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVBKN8kDUpA

Topspin24
08-18-2009, 07:38 PM
^^that was awful

hankash
08-18-2009, 07:39 PM
I like it. I've listened to Kanye West for a while, but Lupe Fiasco is the one who brought me to like it most by not rapping about the same things as every mainstream rapper, by creating well though out lyrics, abd by having good beats. More recently, I've listened to Dead Prez, who also is really good IMO. I've listened to Wyclef Jean for a long time, but his genre is not really rap.

S H O W S T O P P E R !
08-18-2009, 07:44 PM
Rap is my 3rd favorite genre behind rock and electronic. I listen to alternative rap, a la Kanye West's first 3 albums before he got on the auto-tune bandwagon. Rap that can pay homage to its roots in blues and jazz and still be original and creative is the best.

Most of today's rap however is fueled by corporate agendas. The lyrics always talk about having the b******, the booze, the drugs, etc. It has no soul in it and that's why I don't listen to newer rap.

hankash
08-18-2009, 07:46 PM
Rap is my 3rd favorite genre behind rock and electronic. I listen to alternative rap, a la Kanye West's first 3 albums before he got on the auto-tune bandwagon. Rap that can pay homage to its roots in blues and jazz and still be original and creative is the best.

Most of today's rap however is fueled by corporate agendas. The lyrics always talk about having the b******, the booze, the drugs, etc. It has no soul in it and that's why I don't listen to newer rap.

I agree with your Kanye assessment. Auto-tune sucks. Have you tried Lupe Fiasco or Dead Prez?

revolutionary technique
08-18-2009, 07:56 PM
I love Underground Hip Hop and I hate the Hip pop they play on the radio. What you hear on the radio is not hip hop it is hip pop, Hip pop is based from hip hop but it is more of pop music. I really love Underground Hip Hop and I myself am an Emcee. If you think Hip Hop is horrible you might wanna listen to some good artists, there is alot of profound, political, spiritual, and fun in the genre of Underground Hip hop. Almost all of my song contain a message I am trying get out. So I think if you listen to the right people you are well off and would most likely respect if not like the genre. By the way Vince is horrible. Also diredesire thats a good list and Letfirstserve, I am not that big fan of the WU tang but I think they are good. I was'nt listening to Hip Hop when the group was in their prime so I can't relate to the connection the group had with their audience.

scraps234
08-18-2009, 08:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVBKN8kDUpA wow.... lol that guy plays pro tennis?

hankash
08-18-2009, 09:40 PM
wow.... lol that guy plays pro tennis?

It's not his only Youtube Video either. Apparently, he makes videos like that all the time (predicting he'd win the Australian Open in one). He's defeated Sampras, a young Federer (actually giving Federer one out of his only three 0-6 sets in his career), Agassi, Nadal, Roddick.

Guy has some strange videos, like applying to Starbucks (has won $5 mill in his career).

Maybe he and Djokovic could launch a rap album together.

TennisLover17
08-18-2009, 09:43 PM
Yeah I like rap. I mean,alot of the up and comers today are just a disgrace (i.e Soulja Boy, New Boyz), but I'm a fan of normal Hip Hop. I like Kanye, Lupe, and Drake is really working his way to the top of the game. Never really listened to much classic hip hop, but i'm a fan of Nas, Jayz, Rakim, etc.

skyzoo
08-18-2009, 09:45 PM
I love Underground Hip Hop and I hate the Hip pop they play on the radio. What you hear on the radio is not hip hop it is hip pop, Hip pop is based from hip hop but it is more of pop music. I really love Underground Hip Hop and I myself am an Emcee. If you think Hip Hop is horrible you might wanna listen to some good artists, there is alot of profound, political, spiritual, and fun in the genre of Underground Hip hop. Almost all of my song contain a message I am trying get out. So I think if you listen to the right people you are well off and would most likely respect if not like the genre. By the way Vince is horrible. Also diredesire thats a good list and Letfirstserve, I am not that big fan of the WU tang but I think they are good. I was'nt listening to Hip Hop when the group was in their prime so I can't relate to the connection the group had with their audience.
Alright so Underground:

reef the lost cauze
Skyzoo
One Be Lo
Blu
Cyne
Kenn Starr
KNow Jaunder
The perfect Median
Median
Nujabes
9th wonder
Edgar Allen Floe
Bobby Creekwater
Alpha Noise
The Specifics
Torea
Quan
Ali Vegas
Artofficial
Binary Star
Dela
Dj premier
Reks
The Last Emperor
Quite Nyce & Raydar Ellis
Luck one & Dekk
Dilla

Just thought i'd let you in on some of the good artists in the underground game right now. I think you'll enjoy at least 90% of these artists. If you don't, than theres something severly wrong with you.

revolutionary technique
08-18-2009, 10:19 PM
Alright so Underground:

reef the lost cauze
Skyzoo
One Be Lo
Blu
Cyne
Kenn Starr
KNow Jaunder
The perfect Median
Median
Nujabes
9th wonder
Edgar Allen Floe
Bobby Creekwater
Alpha Noise
The Specifics
Torea
Quan
Ali Vegas
Artofficial
Binary Star
Dela
Dj premier
Reks
The Last Emperor
Quite Nyce & Raydar Ellis
Luck one & Dekk
Dilla

Just thought i'd let you in on some of the good artists in the underground game right now. I think you'll enjoy at least 90% of these artists. If you don't, than theres something severly wrong with you.

I mean the list gose on, here are some of whom I listen to
immortal technique
sabac red ,
jedi mind tricks
, ill bill , Necro , Canibus , Jus Allah , apathy , outerspace ,QD , kool g rap , Chief Kamachi, Big Pun, Pharoh Monch, Brother Ali, Atmosphere, Rhymesayer, Eminem, KrsOne , Masta Ace, Killah Priest, Hasan Salaam, Cunning linguist, Akrobatic, 7l&esoteric, PLanet

skyzoo
08-19-2009, 06:15 AM
I mean the list gose on, here are some of whom I listen to
immortal technique
sabac red ,
jedi mind tricks
, ill bill , Necro , Canibus , Jus Allah , apathy , outerspace ,QD , kool g rap , Chief Kamachi, Big Pun, Pharoh Monch, Brother Ali, Atmosphere, Rhymesayer, Eminem, KrsOne , Masta Ace, Killah Priest, Hasan Salaam, Cunning linguist, Akrobatic, 7l&esoteric, PLanet
haha I tried to name some of the more upbeat guys. I feel like Jedi Mind and immortal tech just get me really angry. Pharroahe Monche hands downs has my favorite freestyle of all time, (What it is). The freestyle is sick. I dont think i'll ever bring my self to like necro. Planet Asia is another good one. Sene and scribe make some ill tunes.

Thomax
LMNO
Dl Incognito
Understatement
Yak Balls
Hyder Ali
grip H
John Robinson
Charlie Ross
Blazo
Substantial
The good People

I could really just keep reading through my iTunes...

Underhand
08-19-2009, 07:47 AM
I prefer Britney Spears.

LetFirstServe
08-19-2009, 08:08 AM
I can't bring myself to listen to the hardcore underground anymore. It takes a lot of time and dedication to look for grass roots music that is not your local stuff.

The only rappers I listen to that are still selling a lot of records on a label are Snoop and Ludacris. I find Luda has a lot of clever metaphoric lines that are funny.

Im from Toronto so K-Os and Kardinal Offishall come first. This is the rest of the stuff I commonly listen to

East Coast: Wu-Tang and fam, classic Duck Down and Rawkus record stuff, Tribe Called Quest, Big L, Biggie, Gangstarr and anything Primo produced, Big Daddy Kane, Jeru the Damaja, jay-Z and Nas, AZ, Pete Rock and CL Smooth, Slick Rick

West Coast: Aceyalone, Mac Dre, Dr. Dre and Snoop, Too $hort (stuff before his official retirement), The Pharcyde, Alkaholiks, the Whoridas, Ice Cube (I love his last 2 albums), Kurupt, Dilated Peoples, Dj Quik, Tupac.

Southern: the old No Limit Records especially TRU Master P, UGK, Luda, Scarface, Cunninlynguists, Outkast, 8Ball and MJG, K-Rino, Tre-8

*******: Bronze Nazareth, Vakill, Do or Die, Bone Thugz, Common, Tech N9ne, Hi-Tek, Twista

SlapShot
08-19-2009, 10:23 AM
I love hip-hop, but can't stand the hugely commercial stuff.

Hop-hop groups that I dig:

Atmosphere
P.O.S.
Sims
Buck 65
Mike Mictlan

Funny enough....all but one of the list are local middle-west acts. ;)

Noveson
08-19-2009, 10:40 AM
I like Wu Tang a lot, got three or four of their albums, Wu Chronicles and the like. I like Common, Cunninlynguists, Talib Kweli, early Kanye, some Jay-Z(DOA), Nas, some snoop, Biz Markie, etc.

Favorite songs are C.R.E.A.M(course), you say he's just a friend(biz markie), DOA, Knock Knock, Gravel Pit, Liquid Swords, Protect Ya Neck, and Beautiful Decay

Also like wolfmother, beatles, doors, rolling stones, bob dylan, marley, hendrix, etc. Listen to a lot of kinds of music

revolutionary technique
08-19-2009, 10:42 AM
haha I tried to name some of the more upbeat guys. I feel like Jedi Mind and immortal tech just get me really angry. Pharroahe Monche hands downs has my favorite freestyle of all time, (What it is). The freestyle is sick. I dont think i'll ever bring my self to like necro. Planet Asia is another good one. Sene and scribe make some ill tunes.

Thomax
LMNO
Dl Incognito
Understatement
Yak Balls
Hyder Ali
grip H
John Robinson
Charlie Ross
Blazo
Substantial
The good People

I could really just keep reading through my iTunes...

I disagree with you about Pharroahe Monche. I think he is a great freestyler but still not at the level of Supernat (supernatural). However you said he is your favorite and not the best so I can't really argue. I agree with you on the part that tech use to get me angry but then it just wears off. I can see you not liking necro but his sampled beats are just amazing. Also sometimes you need a break and just chill. By the way I dont know a single person on this list you made I'll check em out.

albino smurf
08-19-2009, 11:36 AM
I like that KOS from Toronto. New rap blows for the most part... but that is probably good. It needs to die off so pop can be pop and rap can get back to its roots and be done for love of rap and not for love of money.

S H O W S T O P P E R !
08-19-2009, 11:41 AM
I agree with your Kanye assessment. Auto-tune sucks. Have you tried Lupe Fiasco or Dead Prez?

I haven't tried Dead Prez, and for some reason I just don't enjoy Lupe. I can't put my finger on it but when Pandora puts him on I go to next song.

LetFirstServe
08-19-2009, 11:44 AM
I like that KOS from Toronto.

Hes by far my favourite. When I was at York U, he did a free concert for like 500 of us. It was supposed to be outside but it was raining so it was inside so it was a more restricted show. He did a few free concerts this year and you could pay what you wanted after the concert finished.

He does stretch the boundaries of what hip-hop does and one of the few that gets praised for it. Him and The Roots are the only ones I know of that tour with live bands.

He's one of the few rappers that is being original and selling records. Hes underground in the US, but here he makes the radio and is a platinum selling artist in Canada.

stanfordtennis alum
08-19-2009, 11:46 AM
i like rap music.. can't listen to too much of it though

mhstennis100
08-19-2009, 12:02 PM
Rap and metal (Public Enemy and Anthrax)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBA-xi8WuCU

35ft6
08-19-2009, 01:11 PM
Big rap fan, but I don't understand the whole Lil Wayne is the hottest active MC thing. Back in the day, when Biggie was the hottest, I feel like even if you hated rap, you could listen to Biggie and just tell his flow was exceptional. But to a non-rap fan, I doubt Lil Wayne is distinguishable from almost anybody else.

skyzoo
08-19-2009, 02:26 PM
I disagree with you about Pharroahe Monche. I think he is a great freestyler but still not at the level of Supernat (supernatural). However you said he is your favorite and not the best so I can't really argue. I agree with you on the part that tech use to get me angry but then it just wears off. I can see you not liking necro but his sampled beats are just amazing. Also sometimes you need a break and just chill. By the way I dont know a single person on this list you made I'll check em out.
Nah Pharoahe isn't my favorite at all. it was just his one freestyle that I like. Skyzoo has to be my favorite followed by blu and reef the lost cauze. Skyzoo with a 9th wonder beat is the greatest combination ever.

SystemicAnomaly
08-19-2009, 02:59 PM
Rap music is a misnomer. It is not a music form whereas hip-hop music is. Rap itself is a very rhythmic form or poetry or wordplay. I'm not really a huge fan of hip-hop music. However, I really enjoyed a few of the early "rap songs" I heard in the early 1980s because they were fresh = innovative. However, I really can't believe this spawned a whole music genre -- now it just seems overdone and formulaic .

Anyone remember "The Revolution Will Not Be Televised" from Gil-Scott Heron in the early 1970s? This is something of a precursor to rap and hip-hop music.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Revolution_Will_Not_Be_Televised (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Revolution_Will_Not_Be_Televised)

JRstriker12
08-19-2009, 03:20 PM
Big rap fan, but I don't understand the whole Lil Wayne is the hottest active MC thing. Back in the day, when Biggie was the hottest, I feel like even if you hated rap, you could listen to Biggie and just tell his flow was exceptional. But to a non-rap fan, I doubt Lil Wayne is distinguishable from almost anybody else.

You know, I didn't get little Wayne for a long time, but then I started listening to his style and lyrics, and I would say, some of his stuff is better than 90% of the MC's out there. Some of his lyrics are humorus, he uses the tone of his voice pretty well, and has some original lyrics. But at this point, it's just getting played out. He's on every remix, dropping lyrics on every R&B song. I'm going to explode if I listen to "**** Every Girl in the World" again.

Lately, I've been sticking to The Roots, Mos Def, Little Brother, Common, Talib Kweli, Q-Tip (Like his Renaissance album). I'll mix in some Wu-Tang, Nas. I like this one cut from KRS that I heard recently (Robot). Maybe a little Kanye, even some auto-tune stuff. Heard this one Slaughterhouse cut that was kind of nice. This one Ge-Ology cut with Mos Def on it is nice. Also heard a DJ Spinna cut with Phonte on it that was nice.

BTW- If you're a Tribe fan check out Gilles Peterson's Podcasts - he has this awesome hour-long podcast with a DJ mixing all of Tribe's best. I'll post the link later.

vsbabolat
08-19-2009, 03:57 PM
Beastie Boys
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy5iQubfV5s&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzaFGMQRBfs&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zcsQk5uZ0g&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFrLUzawtWg&feature=channel

Grandmaster Flash and the Furious 5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXuv7m-5_gw&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4o8TeqKhgY

Remember to always bust a move
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy4FXhkm6Nw

Naughty by Nature
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJgFU3U4X_Y&feature=related

WRECKX-N-EFFECT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKKONgfNONU

Digital Undergound
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj9_yW8tZxs

raiden031
08-19-2009, 04:05 PM
Rap music is terrible. I wish it would just disappear.

vsbabolat
08-19-2009, 04:09 PM
RUN-DMC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-C2b8XWJnfE&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fumgOJLFSHw&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgJTREb_jWc&feature=channel

House of Pain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwQbPgouUYo

Dedans Penthouse
08-19-2009, 04:10 PM
Does that "rap" hit your heart as real?...or does it strike you as run-of-the-mill "inventory-taking" bragging?

Does that "hip/hop" hit your heart as real?...or is it a nothin' more than a nice toe-tappin' (if lifted) "beat?" .... i.e. "beats"

Miles Davis: "there's only 2 types of music: good music and bad music."

You can't broadbrush ANY form of music. You have to judge the "artist's" work, be it your interpretation of the artist's INTENT was or....well, maybe the "beats" simply sucked; whatever.

The "work" not the "form" determines whether or not it sucks.

Then agAIN......bon jOvi......

revolutionary technique
08-19-2009, 04:24 PM
Hey, since alot of people here like the oldskool rap/hip hop I will post my tribute to the oldskool. By the way I am on the first verse. And please don't mind the chorus it was already in the beat when I got the beat, so enjoy.
ME

http://www.dopetracks.com/track/148425

Here is some story telling with a moral and a message. I am on the first verse
ME
http://www.dopetracks.com/track/143856

teppeiahn1
08-19-2009, 05:07 PM
I usualy listen to slow tempo raping like some of bone thugs (even though they can rap fast as hell) But sometimes I like fast tempo like ghost face killah. I love rap music and Im actualy cool with them talkign about moneys and honeys sometimes but only if they are hardecore enough to. Wu tang realy had some hardcore artists that grew up in the ghetto selling rocks. but when that short little baby LITTLE wayne says stuff like that, it just makes me angry.

I started getting into underground but im usualy playing tennis so i have no time realy looking up artists and songs.

Also people are now saying AOTP is the new wu tang?? I dont think they are that good

revolutionary technique
08-19-2009, 05:19 PM
I usualy listen to slow tempo raping like some of bone thugs (even though they can rap fast as hell) But sometimes I like fast tempo like ghost face killah. I love rap music and Im actualy cool with them talkign about moneys and honeys sometimes but only if they are hardecore enough to. Wu tang realy had some hardcore artists that grew up in the ghetto selling rocks. but when that short little baby LITTLE wayne says stuff like that, it just makes me angry.

I started getting into underground but im usualy playing tennis so i have no time realy looking up artists and songs.

Also people are now saying AOTP is the new wu tang?? I dont think they are that good

Yup they are not that good. Cunning Linguist, Rhymesayers (atmosphere), or demigods are better in my opinion. Aotp has some good members though like apathy and reef.

JRstriker12
08-19-2009, 05:38 PM
Here you go - Awesome Tribe/Q-Tip Mix:

http://www.gillespetersonworldwide.com/podcasts/qtip_1.mp3

Check out the whole website at: http://www.gillespetersonworldwide.com/podcasts.php?start=10

vsbabolat
08-19-2009, 05:50 PM
Here are the Beastie Boys backing Elvis Costello on Radio, Radio
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tondtut3dOc

Some people might not know this but the Beastie Boys started out as a Punk Rock Band. They can play their own instruments.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6xsKsJqVyg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKNZtRaKLbM&feature=related

revolutionary technique
08-19-2009, 05:55 PM
Here you go - Awesome Tribe/Q-Tip Mix:

http://www.gillespetersonworldwide.com/podcasts/qtip_1.mp3

Check out the whole website at: http://www.gillespetersonworldwide.com/podcasts.php?start=10

I don't have a problem with Q tip but he is not my cup of tea. I like when people have complex rythemic pattern and Q tip is very simplistic, in his rhymes. Although I like his flow Lyrics are #1 on my list to judge an artist.

revolutionary technique
08-19-2009, 06:00 PM
:cool:Hey, since alot of people here like the oldskool rap/hip hop I will post my tribute to the oldskool. By the way I am on the first verse. And please don't mind the chorus it was already in the beat when I got the beat, so enjoy.
ME

http://www.dopetracks.com/track/148425

Here is some story telling with a moral and a message. I am on the first verse
ME
http://www.dopetracks.com/track/143856

10 chars

LetFirstServe
08-19-2009, 06:06 PM
That reminds me I was going to find that Q-Tip renaissance album. His amplfied album I couldnt believe how much it stunk.

Oh yeah 2 artists I wont check for again after weak sophomore and third albums: Mos-def (only black on both sides and blackstar are good) and Pharoahe Monch (only Internal Affairs and his Organized Konfusion stuff was good)

revolutionary technique
08-19-2009, 06:07 PM
That reminds me I was going to find that Q-Tip renaissance album. His amplfied album I couldnt believe how much it stunk.

Oh yeah 2 artists I wont check for again after weak sophomore and third albums: Mos-def (only black on both sides and blackstar are good) and Pharoahe Monch (only Internal Affairs and his Organized Konfusion stuff was good)

I agree with you.

max
08-19-2009, 07:03 PM
Rap music is terrible. I wish it would just disappear.

I agree. It's all so stereotyped. And why---why?--- would I want to idolize or be like some angry guy in the ghetto? That scene's just too far from my reality (and some say too far from actual ghetto reality).

LetFirstServe
08-19-2009, 07:11 PM
I agree. It's all so stereotyped. And why---why?--- would I want to idolize or be like some angry guy in the ghetto? That scene's just too far from my reality (and some say too far from actual ghetto reality).

Who idolizes people in the music industry? lol. Its entertainment.

revolutionary technique
08-19-2009, 07:12 PM
Its not all about the ghetto. There are alot of dimensions to Rap/Hip Hop. Its not all about what you say, however it is a part of hip hop but Theer are other things such as politics, spiritual stuff, and fun things. Its just that the mainstream is playing the same things.

revolutionary technique
08-19-2009, 07:28 PM
Some spiritual stuff
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_i8ohJxwAc&feature=related

Something that can help you improve your life
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QaHo2LhhOo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IraVgb0PFFk&feature=related
Awareness
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb6EnCxs2uM

Raising awareness of aids
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zMoNkbBGik

I mean after listening to these songs you stil don't respect the genre for its good artists than there is something wrong with you. Note I said respect not like it.

[ GTR ]
08-20-2009, 03:48 AM
yes me!!! i'm a young fan at 16yrs, so I wouldnt have been alive or too young to understand or remember the rap back then.

So far my faves are Nas, 2pac, biggie, az, rakim, bit of krs-one, ice cube, big l, snoop,

I gotta get more into Immortal technique, talib kweli, black thought and etc...

Do i have a good list people? :)

revolutionary technique
08-20-2009, 08:30 AM
;3828133']yes me!!! i'm a young fan at 16yrs, so I wouldnt have been alive or too young to understand or remember the rap back then.

So far my faves are Nas, 2pac, biggie, az, rakim, bit of krs-one, ice cube, big l, snoop,

I gotta get more into Immortal technique, talib kweli, black thought and etc...

Do i have a good list people? :)

Yup thats a really good list but a short one.

albino smurf
08-20-2009, 09:20 AM

Aren't you just stereotyping rap?

Dedans Penthouse
08-20-2009, 12:42 PM
Who idolizes people in the music industry? lol. Its entertainment.Who? *gulp* ..... er, me. :-?

Well, maybe not idolized them, but very, very strongly admired them.

35ft6
08-20-2009, 03:53 PM
People who complain about the violence in rap, you don't hear them criticizing Johnny Cash or country artists who talk about being Outlaws even if they grew up in Toronto, Canada.

LetFirstServe
08-20-2009, 04:08 PM
People who complain about the violence in rap, you don't hear them criticizing Johnny Cash or country artists who talk about being Outlaws even if they grew up in Toronto, Canada.

Hahaha or Long John Baldry. Dont try to lay no boogie woogie on the king of rock and roll. I have to play the story at the beginning before that song is played

Topspin24
08-20-2009, 04:16 PM
I like the Gorillaz, but that doesn't count does it?

LetFirstServe
08-20-2009, 05:16 PM
Never heard Gorillaz in a while....I liked that sophomore album.

Topspin24
08-20-2009, 05:31 PM
I haven't heard Gorillaz in a while*

Dedans Penthouse
08-20-2009, 05:38 PM
Agreed; nice call 35ft6......nuthin' new under the (same) "sun."

Johnny Cash: "I shot a man in Reno....just to watch him ..die"

Great lyric (given the song's context)

As for the 'sex' (vibe); from a 60's hit single courtesy of a NY-based Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame band:

You Tube probably doesn't have a version of this song ("Come On Up"), but here's a pumpin'/rockin' signature piece that blows most 'modern' rap/rock "suggetiveness" to suggestive "come on girl!" shame:

Album: "Collections"
Artist: (1st ballot Rock & Roll Hall of Fame) The Young Rascals
Song: "Come on Up"

After the guitar solo...music breakdown....then: THE LAST VERSE...the last verse....the pumpin' kick drum...the lyrics.....taking the total teenage hormone-raging all-the-way suggestive 'push-it!' to full fruition.... in all it's fumbling "back seat" ah-ah-ahhhhhh!....glory!..":

believe me...."MAN" vocalists like this ain't around today ......

Felix the cat~!

"Start it nice 'n easy baby ....(background: "baby")
Take it real slow...
Just let it take you baby...where you wanna go...
A' come on with me baby....don't let me go a-lone...
KEEP ON PUSHING BABY...TILLL WE GET HOME..

DON'T IT FEEL GOOD?!!!
DON'T IT FEEL GOOD?!!
YA KNOW, I JUS' CAN'T STOP NOW!....AH! AH!
I JUS' CAN'T STOP NOW......AGGGGGGHHH!
OH!....MERCY BABE!...."

btw, if you can't dance to this (no matter your date of birth) you're er, well,..........lol

spaz~@....

p.s. there's a reeeal old school song by The Penguins entitled: "Baby Let Me Bang Your Box"

research kiddies.....again, nuthin' new under the 'bun'...

p.p.s. (35ft6): that said, Cash's last video (beat out by Macy Gray) was a (imho) "dissed" gem that should've walked away with honors....incredibly powerful....awesome.... again, jmho...

this from a frog-brain that can quote the lyrics to GWAR'S "Rock & Roll Never Felt So Good" (least you think I'm a "new school" chauvinist.) ...again, nice 'cash call'...regards.

35ft6
08-21-2009, 03:05 PM
Agreed; nice call 35ft6......nuthin' new under the (same) "sun."

Johnny Cash: "I shot a man in Reno....just to watch him ..die" Or how about this one?
Early one mornin' while makin' the rounds
I took a shot of cocaine and I shot my woman down
I went right home and I went to bed I stuck that lovin' 44 beneath my head

Got up next mornin' and I grabbed that gun took a shot of cocaine and away I run
Made a good run but I run too slow they overtook me down in Juarez Mexico

Late in the hot joints takin' the pills in walked the sheriff from Jericho Hill
He said Willy Lee your name is not Jack Brown
You're the dirty hack that shot your woman down
Said yes oh yes my name is Willy Lee if you've got the warrant just aread it to me
Shot her down because she made me slow
I thought I was her daddy but she had five more

When I was arrested I was dressed in black
They put me on a train and they took me back
Had no friend for to go my bail they slapped my dried up carcass in that country jail

Early next mornin' bout a half past nine I spied the sheriff coming down the line
Talked and he coughed as he cleared his throat
He said come on you dirty heck into that district court
Into the courtroom my trial began where I was handled by twelve honest men
Just before the jury started out I saw the little judge commence to look about

In about five minutes in walked the man holding the verdict in his right hand
The verdict read in the first degree I hollered Lordy Lordy have a mercy on me

The judge he smiled as he picked up his pin 99 years in the Folsom pen
99 years underneath that ground I can't forget the day I shot that bad ***** down
Come on you've gotta listen unto me lay off that whiskey and let that cocaine be It's story telling. Sheesh. I can just imagine the foaming at the mouth indignation that would go down here if a rapper went to a prison to perform for the inmates the same kind of stuff Cash sang about. You know, drugs, murder, no remorse, etc.

max
08-21-2009, 03:31 PM
Aren't you just stereotyping rap?

Yes. By and large, this kind of stuff is all I have heard in rap lyrics. Stereotypes are generalizations, not all-encompassing, and you have to take it as that: just a useful general guide.

I just hear anger, excessive anger, so much so that it seems all laughable and put-on and phoney.

David_Is_Right
08-21-2009, 03:36 PM
Excessive anger? What do you listen to, Hannah Montana?

LetFirstServe
08-21-2009, 03:43 PM
Yes. By and large, this kind of stuff is all I have heard in rap lyrics. Stereotypes are generalizations, not all-encompassing, and you have to take it as that: just a useful general guide.

I just hear anger, excessive anger, so much so that it seems all laughable and put-on and phoney.

Rapping is some serious business sun.

Tell your crew to be easy, ni**az run around
With them fake frowns, sell 'em on e-Bay

http://beattrend.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/blog6-lil-wayne.jpg

http://www.sydentcent.com.au/files/events/50Cent%20PR%20310.jpg

http://www.complex.com/assets/images/Individuals/Web/012008/takeemtochurch3.jpg

http://z.about.com/d/rap/1/0/q/T/-/-/GangStarr.jpg

TheMagicianOfPrecision
08-21-2009, 04:17 PM
Well for me I'm a huge Wu-Tang fan since like 95 and even like many of their albums released after The W that not many care about and most didnt even go gold.

But Raekwon's Only Built 4 Cuban Linx 2 is one of the most anticipated albums in hip-hop today and I'm waiting for its release on Sept 8th.

Here is a really good pre release mixtape put together by boy Memory Man yesterday...it spread throughout the internet like a brushfire to all the major sites and shouted Mem out on his twitter.

I just really enjoyed this mixtape and I dont really like mixtapes.

here it is:

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/4346/memorymancubanrevolutio.png

# 1.Cuban Revolution Intro
# 2.All That Money Is Us
# 3.Run Away (ft. Ghostface Killah, Inspectah Deck, Method Man & GZA)
# 4.Better Shoot Something
# 5.Cipher Born (ft. Ghostface Killah & U-God)
# 6.Get Your **** Beat In (ft. Polite, Chip Banks, Ghostface Killah & Trife Diesel)
# 7.Slang Copulation (ft. Nas, Cappadonna & Ghostface Killah)
# 8.Curiosity
# 9.Iron Chef (ft. Ghostface Killah, Polite & Inspectah Deck)
# 10.A Wise Man
# 11.Cuban Revolution Interlude
# 12.We Gettin' Knots (ft. Fat Joe, Armageddon & Big Pun)
# 13.Fearless Ninjas (ft. Ghostface Killah)
# 14.The All-Time Lineup (ft. American CREAM Team, Inspectah Deck & Method Man)
# 15.Live Kid (ft. Notorious BIG & Ghostface Killah)

http://sharebee.com/2da07623

Oh yeah, this thread you can talk about anything hip-hop and only welcome people who like the music and not for those who want to debate racial and cultural ignorance.

Im not a fan of rap music although i listen to Tupac Shakur, thats old school rap baby! Great stuff.

tudwell
08-21-2009, 05:55 PM
No Outkast love in this thread???

I guess they haven't released an album in a while. But they're one of the most innovative hip-hop groups out there. Plus, they keep it jumping like kangaroos.

maddogz32
08-21-2009, 06:15 PM
its all about FLY ( Fast Life Yungstaz)

LetFirstServe
08-21-2009, 06:53 PM
No Outkast love in this thread???

I guess they haven't released an album in a while. But they're one of the most innovative hip-hop groups out there. Plus, they keep it jumping like kangaroos.

If you ran a search through this thread for the term "outkast" one of my posts will come up other than this one.

ATLiens is a top 10 for me.

Serendipitous
08-21-2009, 07:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ra9DVewxdo

Hot Sauce
08-22-2009, 04:52 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_zYaFP45lGWM/Rx-Ii-TfDOI/AAAAAAAAAig/epmPle52U98/s320/u%2Bmad.jpg

Dedans Penthouse
08-22-2009, 08:18 AM
Or how about this one?
It's story telling. Sheesh. I can just imagine the foaming at the mouth indignation that would go down here if a rapper went to a prison to perform for the inmates the same kind of stuff Cash sang about. You know, drugs, murder, no remorse, etc.
Sweet.

About the "rapper" double-standard (youdon'tsay!-lol): the problem must be that rappers by and large don't know how to put it in the 'proper' context *cough* ... ;-)

Luther Campbell: "Banned in the U.S.A."

(paraphrasing)
Frank Zappa (before Tipper's Tea Party -- censorship hearings): "If the album cover shows an ax buried in a skull...maybe it's not for 'lil Johnny"

35ft6
08-22-2009, 03:33 PM
Sweet.

About the "rapper" double-standard (youdon'tsay!-lol): the problem must be that rappers by and large don't know how to put it in the 'proper' context *cough* ... ;-)I think it's just relatively benign racism. Sometimes I wish the guys who ran the Wall Street firms and Halliburton and the like were black. I have a feeling white Americans would feel the kind of outrage IMO they SHOULD be feeling. But as it stands, it's kind of more like "meh, if I were them, I would try to steal 50 million, too, if I knew I could get away with it..."

SlapShot
08-22-2009, 04:21 PM

This is simply due to not having heard some of the positive rap.

Check these out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OpHJUJIrpU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEHTTFOwsDs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC6b5xlzqhU

All local to Minneapolis, and all very uplifting. Rap has always been used as an outlet, which lends it to being aggressive, but it can be used to carry a positive message.

I live by the lyrics in the last song - "sometimes you've got to reach out to reach up...this is my dedication to dedication, I dedicate this to you..."

Barricade V
08-22-2009, 04:25 PM
This is simply due to not having heard some of the positive rap.

Check these out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OpHJUJIrpU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEHTTFOwsDs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC6b5xlzqhU

All local to Minneapolis, and all very uplifting. Rap has always been used as an outlet, which lends it to being aggressive, but it can be used to carry a positive message.

I live by the lyrics in the last song - "sometimes you've got to reach out to reach up...this is my dedication to dedication, I dedicate this to you..."

thats some good stuff. Rap is all I listen too. Favorites are Jay Z and Wale.

SlapShot
08-22-2009, 04:31 PM
thats some good stuff. Rap is all I listen too. Favorites are Jay Z and Wale.

This is another one of my favorite songs. And it's positive hip-hop...funny how that works...;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKUt5g1AiJ8

LetFirstServe
08-22-2009, 04:36 PM
Jay-Z - The Blueprint 3 is coming out sept 11th. Raekwon OB4CL2 on Sept 8th.

Barricade V
08-23-2009, 08:11 AM
This is another one of my favorite songs. And it's positive hip-hop...funny how that works...;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKUt5g1AiJ8

That's another great song. My favorite was the second song in your original post

skyzoo
09-16-2009, 03:47 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suOGghZ5gHM

HIp Hop is back where it belongs.

LetFirstServe
09-16-2009, 05:54 AM
Skyzoo is a high hope for hip-hop. I should have ordered that album since I have preordered Wizard of Poetry on wax on the 29th and Salvation comes out that week too. only 13.99 on Amazon. I dont know when the vinyl is released that day as well.

skyzoo
09-16-2009, 11:55 AM
Skyzoo is a high hope for hip-hop. I should have ordered that album since I have preordered Wizard of Poetry on wax on the 29th and Salvation comes out that week too. only 13.99 on Amazon. I dont know when the vinyl is released that day as well.
The salvation was worth the money. Plain and simple

TW CSR
09-16-2009, 12:07 PM
I like rap, I've been a fan since I bought my first kriss cross tape. I like atmosphere, people under the stairs, living legends, jedi mind tricks, shapeshifters and just about anything not mainstream. I like the classics also like snoop dogg, nas, biggie, tupac.

Court Valkyrie
09-16-2009, 12:31 PM
Growing up in the south, I prefer the stuff that comes out of Atlanta, Mississippi, and Florida.

Outkast, Ludacris, Lil Jon, Trick Daddy, YoungBloodZ, David Banner, 8-Ball & MJG, UGK (I prefer Bun over Pimp C for some reason), Webbie and Lil Boosie, Joc, Jeezy, Field Mob, Crime Mobb, Dem Franchize Boyz, Bonecrusher, Bizarre from D12.

As long as it has a good beat that hits hard, I go for it. I really tune the lyrics out if it's constantly talking about killing, f'ing, and all the other crap.

diredesire
09-16-2009, 12:31 PM
I like rap, I've been a fan since I bought my first kriss cross tape. I like atmosphere, people under the stairs, living legends, jedi mind tricks, shapeshifters and just about anything not mainstream. I like the classics also like snoop dogg, nas, biggie, tupac.

Come on man, we need to know which CSR you are, in case you pick up the phone and we want to rhyme our next orders.

LetFirstServe
09-16-2009, 02:39 PM
Growing up in the south, I prefer the stuff that comes out of Atlanta, Mississippi, and Florida.

Outkast, Ludacris, Lil Jon, Trick Daddy, YoungBloodZ, David Banner, 8-Ball & MJG, UGK (I prefer Bun over Pimp C for some reason), Webbie and Lil Boosie, Joc, Jeezy, Field Mob, Crime Mobb, Dem Franchize Boyz, Bonecrusher, Bizarre from D12.

As long as it has a good beat that hits hard, I go for it. I really tune the lyrics out if it's constantly talking about killing, f'ing, and all the other crap.

I managed to get some of the classic south stuff when it wasnt widely distributed anywhere else before No-Limit made it big. The first 8Ball and MJG albums, Big Mello, Al-D, First Three 6 Mafia, 5th Ward Boyz, Al Kapone, Tre-8, Kilo-G....K-Rino is probably my favourite out of Texas

DoubleWindsor
09-16-2009, 02:45 PM
rap/hip-hop is just terrible, worst "music" ever made.

lucknowrocks
09-16-2009, 03:51 PM
(^^^why post here then?) What do you guys think of the Blueprint 3?

LetFirstServe
09-16-2009, 03:53 PM
rap/hip-hop is just terrible, worst "music" ever made.

yes, we get it.......

rap is absolutely terrible nowadays, actually it has sucked forever but especially now, a bunch of no-talent *** clowns making up words.

Barricade V
09-16-2009, 05:13 PM

Blueprint 3 is tight. Best album by him by far. kingdom come was a disappointment, but every song on blueprint 3 I love. Best songs are, Reminder, Hate, Young forever, and empire state of mind.

LetFirstServe
09-16-2009, 05:23 PM

I think BP3 was garbage. I am glad a portion of Jay-Z fans and hip-hop in general like it but I think its his worst album. Thank god OB4CL2 came out. I liked Kingdom Come better.

This is how I rank the Jay-Z albums from best to worst:

Reasonable Doubt
In My Lifetime
The Blueprint
The Black Album
American Gangster
Life and Times of S. Carter
The Dynasty
The Blueprint 2
Kingdom Come
Hard Knock Life
The Blueprint 3

Barricade V
09-16-2009, 05:32 PM
I think BP3 was garbage. I am glad a portion of Jay-Z fans and hip-hop in general like it but I think its his worst album. Thank god OB4CL2 came out. I liked Kingdom Come better.

This is how I rank the Jay-Z albums from best to worst:

Reasonable Doubt
In My Lifetime
The Blueprint
The Black Album
American Gangster
The Dynasty
The Blueprint 2
Kingdom Come
Hard Knock Life
The Blueprint 3

Definitely disagree. Best to worst:
Blueprint 3
The Black Album
The Blueprint 2
Kingdom Come
American Gangster
Hard Knock Life
The Dynasty
Reasonable Doubt
In my lifetime

LetFirstServe
09-16-2009, 05:35 PM
Definitely disagree. Best to worst:
Blueprint 3
The Black Album
The Blueprint 2
Kingdom Come
American Gangster
Hard Knock Life
The Dynasty
Reasonable Doubt
In my lifetime

Damn, that looks all over the place....not to often do I see his debut and sophomore albums that far down and yours its rock bottom!

Next up Nas' albums ranked just to see if you're not crazy... :twisted:

Ill drop mine in a minute.

LetFirstServe
09-16-2009, 05:39 PM
Nas discography best to worst:

Illmatic
Stillmatic
It Was Written
God's Son
The Lost Tapes
Untitled
Streets Disciple
Hip Hop is Dead
I Am
Nastradamus

Barricade V
09-16-2009, 05:43 PM
Damn, that looks all over the place....not to often do I see his debut and sophomore albums that far down and yours its rock bottom!

Next up Nas' albums ranked just to see if you're not crazy... :twisted:

Ill drop mine in a minute.

Haha yea it is kind of all over the place but basically his newer stuff is better than his older stuff (my opinion)

Barricade V
09-16-2009, 05:47 PM
Nas discography best to worst:

Illmatic
Stillmatic
It Was Written
God's Son
The Lost Tapes
Untitled
Streets Disciple
Hip Hop is Dead
I Am
Nastradamus

Best to worst:

It was written
Stillmatic
Illmatic
Untitled
I am
God's son
The lost tapes
Streets Disciple
Hastradamus
-
-
Hip Hop is dead (awful)

Court Valkyrie
09-16-2009, 05:55 PM
I like the Dance Hip Hop...I like fun beats and smooth dance moves.

LetFirstServe
09-16-2009, 06:41 PM
I was just watching the rap allstars on Arsenios last show in 94....wow thats how I remember rap music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP-WTLO_hZ8

List they performed:

YoYo
MC Lyte
Treach of Naughty By Nature
Phife Dog - A Tribe Called Quest
Q-Tip - A Tribe Called Quest
The Fu-Schnickens
CL Smooth
Guru of Gangstarr
Das EFX
GZA of Wu Tang Clan
KRS One
Mad Lion

Barricade V
09-16-2009, 06:48 PM
q-tips the best and still is

LetFirstServe
09-16-2009, 06:58 PM
q-tips the best and still is

I keep on forgetting to get The Renaissance....I even seen it on wax in the store 2 days ago and I still havent heard it....I had no money at the time he was the best then Amplfied dropped after 4 solid tribe albums...but I think this Renassiance supposed to be good

TW CSR
09-17-2009, 01:57 PM
Come on man, we need to know which CSR you are, in case you pick up the phone and we want to rhyme our next orders.

My name is Jesse although I don't answer many calls anymore. I have spent most of my time recently training new customer service reps. I will rhyme out your orders by request only. I also once had a customer freestyle over the luniz "I got 5 on it" beat at like 6am, he didn't make much sense but I gave him free shipping for the effort.

JRstriker12
09-17-2009, 02:06 PM
I keep on forgetting to get The Renaissance....I even seen it on wax in the store 2 days ago and I still havent heard it....I had no money at the time he was the best then Amplfied dropped after 4 solid tribe albums...but I think this Renassiance supposed to be good

Worth the buy IMHO.

ag200boy
09-17-2009, 03:51 PM
The only old school guys I listen to are biggie and Tupac, but I really like Weezy and gucci lately

LetFirstServe
09-17-2009, 04:18 PM
The only old school guys I listen to are biggie and Tupac, but I really like Weezy and gucci lately

The only new school guy I listen to is Ludacris. I really like Big Daddy Kane and Ice Cube.....I liked the last 2 Ice Cube albums from 2006 and 2008.

Ronaldo
09-20-2009, 07:28 PM
Rap is crap

akybo
09-21-2009, 11:07 AM
The kawasaki hymn :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GbLdmypMmU#movie_player

skyzoo
09-21-2009, 11:51 AM
Alright Guys. so I'm a huge advocate for underground and this thread is turning into terrible music discusion. now I was going through my library and I think everyone should check out dipsets beats. Not the Lyrics, just beats. (You Ought to know- Juelz) (This is jim jones- Jim jones) this stuff is really sick guys.

TW CSR
09-21-2009, 01:48 PM
You talk about terrible music and then recommend I listen to dipset? I don't think I would call the whistle song "underground" but whatever floats your boat.

LetFirstServe
09-21-2009, 03:05 PM
For Dipset, not a huge fan...I dont listen to Cam'ron that much anymore but I remember back when he was Killa Cam from Big L's debut. (he has verse #6 of 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soTya8ZB3VU

zapvor
09-21-2009, 08:10 PM
blueprint 3.

ubermeyer
09-21-2009, 08:34 PM
rap is from the devil

just kidding

it's all right, some of it at least

SFrazeur
09-21-2009, 10:47 PM
Yeah. . .Never mind.

-SF

callen3615
09-21-2009, 11:21 PM
Dude new rap sucks. But old school is awesome.

SFrazeur
09-21-2009, 11:26 PM
Dude new rap sucks. But old school is awesome.

What defines "old School" rap? For you at lest.

-SF

skyzoo
09-22-2009, 03:34 AM
You talk about terrible music and then recommend I listen to dipset? I don't think I would call the whistle song "underground" but whatever floats your boat.
First off did you even listen to the songs I recomended? I'd say Talib Kweli rapped over one and it was amazing. It's all old dipset anyway. But if you want to be narrow minded and not step out of the same music you listen to all the time, be my guest. Don't worry about the lyrics and just enjoy the beat.

If your in no mood to listen to it than my i suggest (The allies- sweetest language) My favorite song of all time.

LetFirstServe
09-29-2009, 12:04 PM
Just for you Skyzoo (the TW poster)

My pickups today:

http://i37.tinypic.com/1037nrt.jpg

What!

http://i36.tinypic.com/2rrqc7k.jpg

JRstriker12
09-29-2009, 05:12 PM
Some good -ish I've been listening too recently:

-Gangsta Gangsta - Dead Prez
-Home - Jake One
-Us - Brother Ali
-The Only One - Danger mouse and Jemini
-Keep Going - D. Black / Vitamin D

skyzoo
09-29-2009, 05:22 PM

skyzoo
09-29-2009, 05:23 PM
Just for you Skyzoo (the TW poster)

My pickups today:

http://i37.tinypic.com/1037nrt.jpg

What!

http://i36.tinypic.com/2rrqc7k.jpg
You sir are the greatest poster in the entire board of tt.

I have music.....

Pacewon and mr. green - children sing

Pacewon and mr. green - Who I am

Panacea - Treasure Hunt

Black Milk - about me

Black Milk does a great job of sampling in about me

How'd you like the salvation?

LetFirstServe
09-29-2009, 05:40 PM
The Salvation is one of the best Duck Down releases of this decade. Sometimes I thought they went under like Rawkus but they've always been there. The 90s releases were all dope. I wasnt a fan of Buckshot and 9th Wonder Chemistry or any of the BCC and everyone else's new stuff, but I have to respect Survival Skills (KRS1/Buckshot album)....Duck Down is back in 2009.

For Black Milk, Tronic release was good last year....2008 as a whole was disappointing.

Claudius
09-29-2009, 05:48 PM
Here's a pretty funny story...

My AP European History teacher was making a rant about how rap music embodies nihilistic and hedonistic ideals and how hip hop culture would ultimately bring about the demise of youth culture in the U.S

Girl: But what about songs like "Where is the love?" by the Black Eyed Peas...I mean isn't that a good song?

Teacher: Exactly! Where is the love? They don't know!

LetFirstServe
09-29-2009, 05:55 PM
Here's a pretty funny story...

My AP European History teacher was making a rant about how rap music embodies nihilistic and hedonistic ideals and how hip hop culture would ultimately bring about the demise of youth culture in the U.S

My music professor said the same thing was being said when The Beatles came out. Look at it now and it might not be much, but ask some others that grew up with them, some of their parents would forbid their kids to play those records.

Ronaldo
09-29-2009, 06:08 PM
My music professor said the same thing was being said when The Beatles came out. Look at it now and it might not be much, but ask some others that grew up with them, some of their parents would forbid their kids to play those records.

The same thing was said with Hank Williams and Elvis Presley. Maybe more vehemently.

BorisBeckerFan
09-30-2009, 01:40 AM
I find that Rap is a lot like Pop. Most of it sucks, some songs actually have artistic value and some despite sucking are catchy, but in general it sucks.

skyzoo
09-30-2009, 02:57 AM
I find that Rap is a lot like Pop. Most of it sucks, some songs actually have artistic value and some despite sucking are catchy, but in general it sucks.
I believe your refereing to mainstream rap

LetFirstServe
09-30-2009, 06:06 AM

I believe your refereing to mainstream rap

Yes, the most mainstream rap is pop.

skyzoo
09-30-2009, 11:13 AM
Yes, the most mainstream rap is pop.
Did you listen to any of those songs I posted on my last post? If you havn't, definitly check them out

LetFirstServe
09-30-2009, 11:18 AM
Did you listen to any of those songs I posted on my last post? If you havn't, definitly check them out

What albums are they on? Tracks are good but I'd rather hear a crafted cohesive album....thats what hip-hop seems to be missing.

Over the last few years, we've heard the cries that "hip-hop is dead". Perhaps a more accurate diagnosis is, "the hip-hop album is dead".

Read the Raekwon OB4CL2 review here:

http://www.hiphopsite.com/review/show/id/253

I agree alot to the hip-hop conceptual aspects of this review.

JRstriker12
09-30-2009, 12:03 PM
What albums are they on? Tracks are good but I'd rather hear a crafted cohesive album....thats what hip-hop seems to be missing.

Over the last few years, we've heard the cries that "hip-hop is dead". Perhaps a more accurate diagnosis is, "the hip-hop album is dead".

Read the Raekwon OB4CL2 review here:

http://www.hiphopsite.com/review/show/id/253

I agree alot to the hip-hop conceptual aspects of this review.

I would generalize to say the ALBUM is dead.... period.

With MP3's, iTunes, ETC. I don't think alot of people buy the whole ablum, usually just the best 3-4 songs - face it, on most albums, there are usually a handful of tracks that are good and the rest is junk. Most people won't listen to the whole thing, besides hardcore fans.

Really, an album that's great from beginning to end is a rare find in almost any muscial genre, not just Hip-Hop. Though, I will say that the fast rate of turn over in rap/hip-hop creates a lot of one-hit wonders.

LetFirstServe
09-30-2009, 01:55 PM

With MP3's, iTunes, ETC. I don't think alot of people buy the whole ablum, usually just the best 3-4 songs - face it, on most albums, there are usually a handful of tracks that are good and the rest is junk. Most people won't listen to the whole thing, besides hardcore fans.

Really, an album that's great from beginning to end is a rare find in almost any muscial genre, not just Hip-Hop. Though, I will say that the fast rate of turn over in rap/hip-hop creates a lot of one-hit wonders.

I know, if today were the 60's most artists would only be getting 1 side of a 45. Drake just released an EP of his singles and delayed his LP...just an EP after all this time.

JRstriker12
09-30-2009, 03:12 PM
I know, if today were the 60's most artists would only be getting 1 side of a 45. Drake just released an EP of his singles and delayed his LP...just an EP after all this time.

Meh.... from what I've heard, all his best stuff may be on that EP.......

Not like his song isn't getting crazy play... people probably only bought the single anyway.

2ndserve642
09-30-2009, 06:15 PM
I used to be more of a classic rock and new alternative rock person although i still am I like to listen to a lot more rap now.

My favorite artists/groups are

Tribe called quest
Wu tang
Bone thugs(old stuff)
slick rick
run dmc
kid cudi his new album is pretty good
eminem

skyzoo
10-01-2009, 04:11 PM

Have you guys perhaps heard these albums?

Know Juander- A Kid Love beta

The Perfect Median- The This Morning EP

The A.L.L.I.E.S.- 9th wonder presents The A.L.L.I.E.S. EP

Blu- A whole Lot of soul Partner Vol.2

Kenn Starr- Starr Status

I Challenge you to tell me these arn't beautiful, start to finish.

LetFirstServe
10-01-2009, 05:51 PM
Have you guys perhaps heard these albums?

Know Juander- A Kid Love beta

The Perfect Median- The This Morning EP

The A.L.L.I.E.S.- 9th wonder presents The A.L.L.I.E.S. EP

Blu- A whole Lot of soul Partner Vol.2

Kenn Starr- Starr Status

I Challenge you to tell me these arn't beautiful, start to finish.

I see 2 EPs there though thats cheating. :)

Cruzer
10-01-2009, 06:03 PM
The term "rap music" is one of the biggest oxymorons of all time.

LetFirstServe
10-01-2009, 06:32 PM
The term "rap music" is one of the biggest oxymorons of all time.

Going back to history just like this thread did soooo many times, guess what people said when the genres R&B, rock and roll (before Elvis), and jazz were relatively new? They said it wasn't music either!!! The reasons for those are obvious.

Hip-hop is one of the most rhythmical genres out there (in 4/4 time). It is also the most mistaken gene while country and metal are probably a distant second and third.

Hip-hop is still relatively young and it seem accepted more today than it was 15 years ago but there are a few people over 50, rednecks, ignorant, and some just plain soulfulness individuals who do not.

Hot Sauce
10-01-2009, 11:56 PM
Going to Jay-Z, Wale, J-Cole, NERD on the 16th!

skyzoo
10-02-2009, 02:55 AM
I see 2 EPs there though thats cheating. :)
well if you disqualify those, i still put down some great choices.

Cruzer
10-02-2009, 10:10 AM
Going back to history just like this thread did soooo many times, guess what people said when the genres R&B, rock and roll (before Elvis), and jazz were relatively new? They said it wasn't music either!!! The reasons for those are obvious.

Hip-hop is one of the most rhythmical genres out there (in 4/4 time). It is also the most mistaken gene while country and metal are probably a distant second and third.

Hip-hop is still relatively young and it seem accepted more today than it was 15 years ago but there are a few people over 50, rednecks, ignorant, and some just plain soulfulness individuals who do not.

I don't who "they" are but I don't remember reading or hearing anyone say R&B, R&R, and jazz is not music. I am not a big listener of R&B or jazz but I can appreciate the musical qualities of those genres. There is little, if anything that is musical about so-called rap music. In any case whatever people chose to listen to is based on their personal taste and no one can tell someone that one genre of music is the best or better than another. The musical element in rap is next to nil. You could have someone read a book with a drum machine and a ten second three chord loop playing at the same time and that is rap "music".

seffina
10-02-2009, 10:47 AM
I found my old 95' Bone Thugs-n-Harmony cd last week and listened to it later that day. I was surprised how many of the words I actually still remembered!

LetFirstServe
10-02-2009, 10:59 AM
I don't who "they" are but I don't remember reading or hearing anyone say R&B, R&R, and jazz is not music.

You can read anything on the history of music (or any past debates) about how the definition of "music" changed over time. For example when jazz originated (became known) in the 19th century, the single line melodies and "call-and-response" patterns didn't qualify it as music (to early European originated settlers) because it didn't match the harmony concept that European classical was based upon.

I hear people today make up a common excuse that rap isn't music because they don't use instruments. From studying the origins of the rap, it is obvious why it doesn't have instruments. It doesn't mean that it can't. My favourite rapper K-Os can play and performs with more instruments than most artists and has a live band. This is the same with the group The Roots. I can name several more reasons why people reject rap as a music genre because it doesn't meet their own conceptual definition of what music is.

I am not a big listener of R&B or jazz but I can appreciate the musical qualities of those genres. There is little, if anything that is musical about so-called rap music. In any case whatever people chose to listen to is based on their personal taste and no one can tell someone that one genre of music is the best or better than another.

I listen and enjoy all commonly recorded genres of music except for new age country and opera. I still respect those 2 genres very much for their musical qualities and I don't think they are bad at all. I can't say what genre is better than another but I agree that hip-hop is the most misunderstood, and country 2nd or 3rd even though I don't prefer the sound.

The musical element in rap is next to nil. You could have someone read a book with a drum machine and a ten second three chord loop playing at the same time and that is rap "music".

Rap music evolved from slam poetry. They never used Casio keyboards though. The pioneers started using the breaks from old vinyl records. Who knows, if one can read a book rhythmically to a beat some could define it as rap. That would qualify as a harmonic sound.

JRstriker12
10-02-2009, 01:03 PM
RE: Cruzer

Honestly, so say that rap/ hip-hip is not music is really closed minded and blind to the wide range of musical expression.

You know some music may only use drums, other music only uses the human voice - instruments are not required for something to be defined as music.

Now, I can understand that some may not like rap. Okay, fine. I'm not so hot on Gregorian Chants or Tibetan throat singing - but my dislike or lack of appreciation doesn't make it not music.

If you think that Jazz is particularly harmonic and melodious - then you have not listened to much Jazz - there is a lot of modern Jazz that is highly abstract and atonal.

split-step
10-02-2009, 04:36 PM
I don't mind rap and pop but only in instances where I wouldn't really be listening to it, but it would be a background e.g a college party, club etc.

If I can actually hear what is being said, I feel like I am getting stupider by the moment (same goes for Mariah Carey, Lady Gaga, Akon like 90% of pop music)

Cruzer
10-04-2009, 09:16 PM
You can read anything on the history of music (or any past debates) about how the definition of "music" changed over time. For example when jazz originated (became known) in the 19th century, the single line melodies and "call-and-response" patterns didn't qualify it as music (to early European originated settlers) because it didn't match the harmony concept that European classical was based upon.

I have not found anything to which you refer. Can you provide an example?

Rap music evolved from slam poetry.

"Slam poetry"? What is that? Is that the drivel that often appears in rap about shooting cops, beating up women, being in the drug trade?

emcee143
10-04-2009, 10:57 PM

"Slam poetry"? What is that? Is that the drivel that often appears in rap about shooting cops, beating up women, being in the drug trade?

I'm sorry, but you are being very close-minded right now. Not all "rap" is centered around the things you listed.

JRstriker12
10-05-2009, 06:44 AM

Don't feed the troll.

LetFirstServe
10-05-2009, 08:38 AM

If you are looking for sources:

http://www.amazon.com/Jazz-World-Art-Mervyn-Cooke/dp/0500203180/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1254755772&sr=8-2

Slam poetry's content just before hip-hop concept was named came in the days of major African American civil rights movements. These were mostly messages amongst themselves.

I heard rap verses about cops. What do you know about corrupt cops and what they've experienced? The lyrical content is about an unjust system. Although hip-hop has an alpha male egocentric element to it at times and is sexual in nature, I have never heard anything that has to do with 'beating up' women. What about when Tupac made this line:

And since we all came from a woman
Got our name from a woman and our game from a woman
I wonder why we take from our women
Why we **** our women, do we hate our women?
I think it's time to kill for our women
Time to heal our women, be real to our women
And if we don't we'll have a race of babies
That will hate the ladies, that make the babies
And since a man can't make one
He has no right to tell a woman when and where to create one

Being in the drug trade is a reality. I have heard verses from rappers refering to the drug trade such as them making the mistake, they had to do it to feed their kids, themselves harming their own community and rappers getting saved by a music label contract so they didn't have to be in the drug trade.

Ross K
10-05-2009, 11:54 AM
Just wondered what do ppl here think of Eminem's 'Relapse' album from this year?

skyzoo
10-05-2009, 12:31 PM
Just wondered what do ppl here think of Eminem's 'Relapse' album from this year?
A terrible release from eminem

Ross K
10-05-2009, 01:11 PM
Is it that bad? I haven't listened to his stuff in a long time but thought this album and the likes of Crack A Bottle, Bagpipes From Bagdad, Same Song & Dance was pretty interesting.

On a different note altogether, though he's not really rap and is from the 'grime' scene, any of you familiar at all with our Dizzee Rascal?

JRstriker12
10-05-2009, 01:19 PM
Is it that bad? I haven't listened to his stuff in a long time but thought this album and the likes of Crack A Bottle, Bagpipes From Bagdad, Same Song & Dance was pretty interesting.

On a different note altogether, though he's not really rap and is from the 'grime' scene, any of you familiar at all with our Dizzee Rascal?

Yup - I like Dizzee. He's a fun listen. I've heard all of "Boy in da corner," I have't caught much of his newer stuff..... I'll have to download some more of his stuff......

IMHO - "Grime" is just rap over a more break-beat style track.

BTW- Ever listen to the Gilles Peterson show on BBC radio 1? He puts in a good mix of jazz, R&B/ rap/ Grime/ Hip-hop/ House -etc. His pod casts are online too, though they tend more towards the jazz spectrum on average.

Ross K
10-05-2009, 01:37 PM
Yup - I like Dizzee. He's a fun listen. I've heard all of "Boy in da corner," I have't caught much of his newer stuff..... I'll have to download some more of his stuff......

IMHO - "Grime" is just rap over a more break-beat style track.

BTW- Ever listen to the Gilles Peterson show on BBC radio 1? He puts in a good mix of jazz, R&B/ rap/ Grime/ Hip-hop/ House -etc. His pod casts are online too, though they tend more towards the jazz spectrum on average.

Totally agree. Dizzee is a lot of fun. I personally think he's a real innovator and talent - and there sure are a load of imitators in the UK now... I'm curious though, how does his Jamaican/London accent goes down in the States?

TBH, I haven't listened to Gilles Peterson on the radio but that's due to not hugely being a fan of the kind of jazz with which he is largely associated. Maybe I should!

skyzoo
10-05-2009, 02:20 PM
Gentlemen, please take a second and check out oddisee- book of days. greatest flip ever

dave333
10-05-2009, 02:23 PM
I am loving DOA and Empire State of Mind right now.

It isn't really rap, but Love Lockdown by Kanye is pretty sick too.

Kedar
10-05-2009, 03:20 PM
I really appreciate rap music, however today, it is just a bunch of crap. Lil Wayne, Soulja Boy, and all those punks are terrible, and its stupid that the average person doesn't like rap because they only look at them, and assume that all rap is like that. I like real rap with meaningful lyrics. Nas, Tupac, Biggie, old Jay-Z, and Lupe Fiasco are my favorite rappers. I do also like Wu-Tang, but I don't know much of their songs.

JRstriker12
10-05-2009, 04:33 PM
Totally agree. Dizzee is a lot of fun. I personally think he's a real innovator and talent - and there sure are a load of imitators in the UK now... I'm curious though, how does his Jamaican/London accent goes down in the States?

TBH, I haven't listened to Gilles Peterson on the radio but that's due to not hugely being a fan of the kind of jazz with which he is largely associated. Maybe I should!

Some shows (Gilles) are good... some not so good.. varies widely. He did a really sick tribe call quest mix podcast a while ago......

tricky
10-05-2009, 04:47 PM
Relapse really is terrible, and the production is so subpar I'm hoping Dre left all the good stuff for Detox. I don't have a problem with Em going back to horrorcore, but he sounds tired doing it.

Dizzee's awesome. Came up with a fresh sound that sounded like drum'n'bass with the drums taken out. Scuzzy, nasty, grymy.

Ross K
10-06-2009, 11:18 PM
If Em is so terrible, how about Dre?

I mean, is it not true to say that with his long and successful history he's massively influential in rap (possibly one of the most influential figure there's ever been?) and should be held in the highest regard like such legends as PE, Tupak, Notorious B.I.G., etc, and unlike p-diddy, Kanye, etc?

Or is his talent and influence somewhat exaggerated?

R.

tricky
10-07-2009, 12:12 AM
If Em is so terrible, how about Dre?

I'm a big fan of Em, but I think most hip hop artists definitely has an athletic peak, and once they lose it, it's just hard for them to get it back. I feel the same about Jay. He can spin Crookyln tales pretty much until his dying day, but his rhymes are going into Lil Wayne nursery rhyme territory.

I didn't like Dre's work on Relapse, but I'm still hoping Detox will be great. Dre's kinda going through what Trent Reznor in the late 90s -- he is in love with the sound of live/organic instruments, real keys, real drums, and so on. Which is cool. But he hasn't really put his own spin on the nu electro-house grooves that, say, Kanye West has done recently. Like on his Chronic 2001 album, he went totally away from G-funk and took in all the influences from Dirty South, Timbaland, etc. and made his own sound. I'd like to see him do the same trick again.

Or is his talent and influence somewhat exaggerated?

Nah, his influence is incalculable. If nothing else, he helped establish a template where hardcore rap and catchy production could coexist, thus keeping cred AND commercial potential.

rommil
10-07-2009, 12:14 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXlz_1a6bGc&feature=PlayList&p=B7D8B54C50A6C257&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=38

tricky
10-07-2009, 12:20 AM
That's pretty good rapcore. Definitely Beastie Boy-ish.

rommil
10-07-2009, 12:27 AM
That's pretty good rapcore. Definitely Beastie Boy-ish.

LOL yeah or if Beastie Boys and Rage Against The Machine got jiggy these would be their lovechildren lol

Ross K
10-07-2009, 02:07 PM
Dizzee's awesome. Came up with a fresh sound that sounded like drum'n'bass with the drums taken out. Scuzzy, nasty, grymy.

Some Dizzee for tricky & whoever...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frN9CoRVWNQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3ZZ7lRsUdI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86Ok0B9EvZg&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_VKsq72y4c&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tntRTRkp2GY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b94beDQQtWI&feature=related

It must be said his more recent, commercial stuff (ie, the last track) doesn't sound so much like the 1st track here. He's either a great innovator or he's already sold out! Anyhow, I know it might not be to everybody's taste but here's a flavour of the UK gryme/rap scene of recent years - of whom Dizzee is probably its leading figure.

R.

LetFirstServe
10-07-2009, 04:00 PM
3 Mariah Carey Memoirs Of An Imperfect Angel 168,000 169,000
6 Jay-Z Blueprint 3 89,000 997,000
13 Whitney Houston I Look To You 51,000 672,000
20 Drake So Far Gone 31,000 141,000
22 Black Eyed Peas The E.N.D. 29,000 1,169,00
28 Ghostface Killah Ghostdini: The Wizard Of Poetry In The Emerald City 19,000 19,000
61 Raekwon Only Built 4 Cuban Linx 2 10,000 111,000
74 Playaz Circle Flight 360: The Takeoff 7,900 8,000
126 Skyzoo The Salvation 4,500 4,600
141 Mack 10 Soft White 3,800 3,900

ahile02
10-07-2009, 08:30 PM
Rap is amazing. Great pump up music for matches/practice.

I'll take just about anything except country. I even like some classical from time to time.

ThaWarkid
10-08-2009, 01:09 PM
I really appreciate rap music, however today, it is just a bunch of crap. Lil Wayne, Soulja Boy, and all those punks are terrible, and its stupid that the average person doesn't like rap because they only look at them, and assume that all rap is like that. I like real rap with meaningful lyrics. Nas, Tupac, Biggie, old Jay-Z, and Lupe Fiasco are my favorite rappers. I do also like Wu-Tang, but I don't know much of their songs.

i agree! i also listen to eminem

looseswing
10-08-2009, 01:31 PM
how about kid cudi...his first mixtape was straight fire. i havent heard the cd yet so i cant comment on that.

SempreSami
10-08-2009, 02:02 PM
I appreciate the older stuff like Grandmasta Flash, Public Enemy, Run DMC etc. Not too keen on the newer artists, but Example is pretty good IMO.

Ross K
10-08-2009, 11:24 PM
I appreciate the older stuff like Grandmasta Flash, Public Enemy, Run DMC etc. Not too keen on the newer artists, but Example is pretty good IMO.

Yep. No doubt about it... PE... KRS-1... Eric B & Rakim... Grandmaster Flash & Africa Bambatta (The Message and Planet Rock being 2 of the greatest songs ever in this old skool vein imo)... Lakim Shabbazz... NWA... I can't remember them all now!... but, yeah, I love all that older stuff too.

And generally I liked the music all the way through to around the end of the 1990's and Biggy and Dre's The Chronic. After which, the combined likes of, I don't know, Nellie (dear oh dear!), 50 cent, Kanye, etc, lost my interest.

I'm open to what ppl think is the good new stuff however (have been checking out some of the recommendations on this thread actually.)

R.

skyzoo
10-09-2009, 06:10 AM
Who here has had a listen to the new People under the stairs. A really solid Mixtape from them. (PUTS- Carried Away)

skyzoo
10-29-2009, 12:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gk-ElCGM6M

Saigooooonnnnn

Breaker
10-29-2009, 08:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbuSdXKtJX4

Roots Manuva - Witness.

My favourite rapper and possibly the greatest video of all time.

emcee143
10-29-2009, 08:55 PM
At least BET is doing something right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlw3WIct0Qg

skyzoo
11-11-2009, 06:22 AM
Wiz Khalifa has been doing quite well recently. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqV5i9g2SNI&feature=related

Blinkism
11-11-2009, 06:44 AM
What's good is that Tribe Called Quest and Pharcyde stuff.

There's an album by Nas I listened to in high school that is pretty jazzy (illmatic I think it was).

I like rap and hip-hop with a good jazz-influenced beat...

No one does that anymore so you have to look into the older kind of stuff.

Also, hiphop mixed with other genres is good- with rock or reggae.

Good bands like that are Sublime and 311.

Ross K
11-11-2009, 06:46 AM
For some reason I've been listening to a lot of this recently... for ppl who remember/like their West Coast 90's g hip hop sounds!!!...

Ladies and gentlemen, the one, the only, the late, great Eazy E!...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDpIW8jt0v0&feature=related

What a tune!...

Second up on the early '90's G tip!... I give you Dre and Snoop (when DD was "STILL" good - according to some!)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kG_qcud1ShM

Lastly, moving forwards and combining some great talents - the game, eazy and 2pac...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs1xHPU7WwA

Anyone else got some older rap stuff they want to post up?

R.

skyzoo
11-11-2009, 07:02 AM
So no one likes any new stuff? hmmm