PDA

View Full Version : Can you pre stretch too much?

jonaron
08-19-2009, 10:21 AM
I use a drop weight machine. For multis and syn gut I pre stretch by hand by pulling the string wrapped around a pole. Then i drop the weight and while it is down i pull the strings toward the frame and letthe weight bounce a bit to overcome grommet friction and to stretch the strings. I find that I take all the stretch out. Am I also taking the life out of the strings?

tennisfreak15347
08-19-2009, 10:24 AM
Yes, you are taking a little bit of resiliency out of the strings, on top of decreasing tension loss and making the stringbend slightly stiffer. Pre-stretching is only an option for synthetic guts, multis, and natural guts, meaning it is all up to preference. For polys, however, i see no benifit of pre-stretching.

Bud
08-19-2009, 12:38 PM
I use a drop weight machine. For multis and syn gut I pre stretch by hand by pulling the string wrapped around a pole. Then i drop the weight and while it is down i pull the strings toward the frame and letthe weight bounce a bit to overcome grommet friction and to stretch the strings. I find that I take all the stretch out. Am I also taking the life out of the strings?

Yes, you are taking a little bit of resiliency out of the strings, on top of decreasing tension loss and making the stringbend slightly stiffer. Pre-stretching is only an option for synthetic guts, multis, and natural guts, meaning it is all up to preference. For polys, however, i see no benifit of pre-stretching.

Agreed. You're taking a bit of the resiliency out of the string but not much. No sense pre-stretching poly unless you find it helps remove a bit of the coil memory.

I only pre-stretch string to remove coil memory (mostly on NG).