PDA

View Full Version : Luxilon Alu Rough string tension?

zcthebeast
08-19-2009, 05:32 PM
I decided to try the Luxilon Big Banger Alu Rough string since everybody who tries it seems to love it, and it is the most popular string on the pro tour. I'm not sure if I should string it at a lower or higher tension though, because Luxilon suggests stringing 10% lower than usual tension. I am afraid that stringing this much lower would sacrifice control though. My current setup is a k95 16/19 with Babolat Pro Hurricane Tour 17- 58 lbs. Wilson suggests stringing the k95 between 50 and 60 lbs. I have no wrist or elbow problems, so stiffness really isn't a problem either. Any suggestions?

purple-n-gold
08-19-2009, 07:25 PM
If your fine with the PHT at 58lbs you'll probably be ok with stringing the Lux at that, maybe drop 2lbs.

zerox277
08-19-2009, 08:41 PM
Go string it at 70 =D it plays amazing as long as u can generate you're own power.

zcthebeast
08-20-2009, 05:33 AM
ok thanks, i think 70 is a little extreme though lol

PimpMyGame
08-20-2009, 05:36 AM
I string Alu Rough at 60, a little harsh on the arm so I may drop a couple of pounds but it plays nice.

I normally string everything else at 65.

000KFACTOR90000
08-20-2009, 05:38 AM
I would start at 58 as your reference tension, and go up or down 2lbs at a time from there.

tennis_pr0
08-20-2009, 05:39 AM
Pro hurricane is a stiff poly just as the BB rough is, so if you are happy with that setup, I don't see any reason you should change the tension of the BB rough. Someone said drop the tension about 2 lbs, that's probably a good idea. Also, what gauge is the hurricane, is it 16 or 17? I believe the BB rough is 16.

zcthebeast
08-20-2009, 03:21 PM
the PHT is 17g

NickC
08-20-2009, 03:56 PM
Plays great at 55. Try that and then if you like it but feel it could be a tad looser or tighter then next time you restring adjust the tension as such.

davidahenry
08-20-2009, 07:24 PM
I decided to try the Luxilon Big Banger Alu Rough string since everybody who tries it seems to love it,

I'm in this camp. I tried it about a year ago and have never looked back. By far, it is my favorite string.

and it is the most popular string on the pro tour.

Kind of. To be precise, Alu Power (normal version) is the most popular string on the pro tour. While the difference between Alu and Alu Rough is slight, I prefer Alu Rough - just more spin and action on the ball with it.

I'm not sure if I should string it at a lower or higher tension though, because Luxilon suggests stringing 10% lower than usual tension. I am afraid that stringing this much lower would sacrifice control though. My current setup is a k95 16/19 with Babolat Pro Hurricane Tour 17- 58 lbs. Wilson suggests stringing the k95 between 50 and 60 lbs. I have no wrist or elbow problems, so stiffness really isn't a problem either. Any suggestions?

Like others have stated... If you're good with PHT at 58, then you should be fine with Alu Power Rough at 58. I play with Alu Power Rough at 59, and my arm is good. I used to string it around 62 and did have some arm/elbow pain. Dropping the tension seemed to help me.

Take care.

DH

ManuGinobili
08-20-2009, 11:17 PM
Right at the middle is a safe bet... you experience all the plus points of the string (which is very important for a first impression) with little downside
I tried the 10% drop as recommended by Luxilon, but it was a horrible experience. My shots were way off, I lost mad control, and the string vibrated a lot more which gave me awful elbow pain, which I rarely had playing with it at 57 pounds (mid tension for my racket). And on my 16x19 the string moves much more. This is already a very powerful string, so i dont see the point of lowering tension to increase the power even more.