PDA

View Full Version : Kirschbaum Pro Line II tension retention

BetterAtDoubles
08-19-2009, 08:36 PM
I recently switched from a Head Ti Radical MP to a Yonex RDiS 100 MP and from Prince Topspin 15L to Kirschbaum Pro Line II 17g.

This my first co-poly or poly experience, and I'm liking it. I got it strung at 58 lbs (max is 65 for the RDiS), and I've played with it for about three weeks now. And I think I might be liking how it feels now more than when it was first strung. It could just be that I'm playing better and not have much to do with the tension, but now I'm wondering if I should go with a lower tension when I re-string it. For a while I was thinking I should string it tighter because I felt like I wasn't getting the control I needed from the new racquet and string...but now since it feels good I just don't know.

I've always gone by the rule that higher tension equals more control/less power and lower tension equals the opposite. But with polys/co-polys, I think I've read it's also gets "deader" the tighter you string it. Is there any other "rule" to keep in mind with this type of string?

honz
08-19-2009, 09:53 PM
I am currently using PLII for the first time and I find that it has held tension extremely well for a poly. I've had it in for a couple weeks now and I haven't had the ball start flying on me yet. I also found that the string softened up significantly after breaking it in with a few hours of hitting and it started to provide better ball pocketing and more "feel" on touch shots. That may be what you are noticing and why you like it better now than when it was freshly strung.

IwishIwasbetter
08-19-2009, 10:08 PM
If any of you are looking for some or a lot of pro line II in the 17 gauge, send me an email at ASV31692@Gmail.com

dadozen
08-20-2009, 04:34 AM
I'm using PLII 1.15mm now and it holds tension well. I'm guessing that you can go lower that you will have enough control and get better ball feeling and pocketing. Not sure how many sets you've got, but you can try it once to check how it performs.

BetterAtDoubles
08-20-2009, 11:54 AM
Thanks guys.

I went ahead and ordered another RDiS 100 MP with PLII and got it strung at 60 this time. Hopefully I won't regret going tighter, especially since Sectionals is in about a week!

I may end up putting some Topspin 15L in the other one so I can do a side-by-side comparison. That way I can tell if it's worth the extra money before I start actually thinking about buying some packs/reels of the PLII.

murrmanfan13
08-20-2009, 12:03 PM
15l????????

BetterAtDoubles
08-20-2009, 12:15 PM
15l????????

Are you asking what is 15L or surprised that I used something that "big"?

If you're unsure of what it is, it's just slightly bigger than 16 but smaller than 15.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/String/StringReference.html

lenderbender
08-21-2009, 10:29 AM
i'm suprised your using something that big then going over to 17g with poly too (mainly because i'm a noob)

Big Tigger
08-21-2009, 10:36 AM
I love PLII, but it dies FAST!

You see, it does retain tension well, but it loses ELASTICITY real quickly. Its more or less what happens to all Luxilon strings. After some 5-6 hours of hard play the "magic" leaves and also does the playability.

I used to play with PL II, but now Im sticked to PS Big Ace (which lasts much longer - playabilitywise).

BT

BetterAtDoubles
08-21-2009, 10:46 AM

You see, it does retain tension well, but it loses ELASTICITY real quickly. Its more or less what happens to all Luxilon strings. After some 5-6 hours of hard play the "magic" leaves and also does the playability.

I used to play with PL II, but now Im sticked to PS Big Ace (which lasts much longer - playabilitywise).

BT

Maybe that means I like a "dead" string. I've put in 20+ hours (mostly doubles) with this string and seem to like it better now. Hmmm...

dadozen
08-21-2009, 11:04 AM

BT

Hey BT, nice to see you here:)

Time to change your signature, isn't it?;)

have you already tried BA Micro?

Big Tigger
08-21-2009, 11:30 AM
Hey BT, nice to see you here:)

Time to change your signature, isn't it?;)

have you already tried BA Micro?

Hey, Dado!

Yeah, I sign in now and then... This site is terrific and has lots of info about racquets and stuff.

Sure, its time to change my sig so here we go!

Nope. No BA Micro yet. The reel is still sealed. Im doing real fine with the 1.25, but let us see what the future may bring

BT

murrmanfan13
08-21-2009, 12:26 PM
i know what 15L is, but if your playing with such a wide poly it will lose some genuine poly traits

BetterAtDoubles
08-21-2009, 01:10 PM
i know what 15L is, but if your playing with such a wide poly it will lose some genuine poly traits

Oh. Well, I'm using 17g on the PLII. The Topspin that I use is 15L, and it's a synthetic gut.

honz
08-21-2009, 10:08 PM

BT

It does lose elasticity, but I don't feel like it loses its playability. I just felt like it "broke in" and softened up a bit. I still felt like I could hit with power, control, spin as well as hit touch shots. It does feel quite different when it loosens up, but I thought the playability was still there.