PDA

View Full Version : Community College question

i love t3nn1s
08-19-2009, 11:11 PM
Okay guys i have a question.

is there anything wrong with taking a semester off from community college?
I was planning on starting in the Fall, but i decided i needed a little break from school and wanted to take the semster off and then start again during the second semester. Is this possible?

anyway. during my time off, i plan on getting my drivers license which i dont even have yet because i was sent to juvie and put on probation for a year, so i decided not to get my license since i couldnt go out after 10 anyway, and i also plan on getting a job and make some money.

i really need some advice, im just a guys trying to change myself and really focus when i start in community college again. Thanx

Lee James
08-20-2009, 05:34 AM
Okay guys i have a question.

is there anything wrong with taking a semester off from community college?
I was planning on starting in the Fall, but i decided i needed a little break from school and wanted to take the semster off and then start again during the second semester. Is this possible?

anyway. during my time off, i plan on getting my drivers license which i dont even have yet because i was sent to juvie and put on probation for a year, so i decided not to get my license since i couldnt go out after 10 anyway, and i also plan on getting a job and make some money.

i really need some advice, im just a guys trying to change myself and really focus when i start in community college again. Thanx

I think that the best time to start school is when you feel completely ready to give your all to it. If you're not mentally prepared for it, it's best to just wait. You wouldn't want to waste your time and money on a semester in which you didn't do as well as you could have. One word of warning though is that a lot of times, people who leave school and begin working become addicted to the money they earn and it becomes more and more difficult to give that up to sit in a classroom all week. So

max
08-20-2009, 06:05 AM
Of course, the great risk of taking off is that you'll receive some kind of bump or jarring in life that knocks you off course.

It sounds, just from the bit of sketch you've provided, that you might benefit from a bit more real-life experience. Why not sign up for the navy?

Puma
08-20-2009, 07:52 AM
Of course, the great risk of taking off is that you'll receive some kind of bump or jarring in life that knocks you off course.

It sounds, just from the bit of sketch you've provided, that you might benefit from a bit more real-life experience. Why not sign up for the navy?

I am sure Max isn't trying to be a smart#ss about the Navy. In fact, I too think it is really worth considering for several reasons.(The military)

1. Possible introduction to career fields you wouldn't ordinarily have. Training to go with it.
2. Could make a career out of the military and have good health care and retirement afterwards and still be young. Couple this with some career skills and you are set.
3 Upon leaving the military you are first in line to get a Federal job that pays well and has mucho benifits. This type of job is going extinct btw.
4. If you do well in the Military, look up the pay scales, you can make some good money whilst you have no living expenses to speak of.
5. If you hate it, consider it a mistake then don't re-up. Its a whole lot better mistake than a failed marriage with kids and or some of the mistakes you have already made.

I have hired many young men out of the military. Most hated it, or so they said. But all in all, they made better employees than their counterparts. They could show up for work on time and actually accomplish something.

My .02

and good luck!

max
08-20-2009, 08:09 AM
No, not joking. I've run into too many young people who believe everything good is supposed to be handed to them on a silver platter, who won't start at the bottom and work their way up, pay their dues, bad personal approach to work and life. Sad to say, I've offered teens good jobs but they refuse minimum wage. The military is a good way to get guys to learn how to put their shoulders into something.

This is a general statement, and may not at all be applicable to our OP; I don't know the OP and so what I say may be total hot air.

I think one unacknowledged benefit of the military is that it gives a young person something constructive to do, while at the same time broadening their horizons so they can actually see the real world and see how it works and figure how they can really fit into it.

There are many young people who are only familiar with high school life, watching TV and hanging out at home and with friends, and may not have worked at all, or spent much time looking to their future.

Good education related benefits, too.

angharad
08-20-2009, 09:25 AM
If you feel like you need to take a break, then do it. I should have, but didn't. I wound up taking my "break" in the middle of my junior year, and wasted a lot of time and money doing so. I'm still trying to get back on track, although I'm doing much better in school than I ever have before.

You need to be ready for college, and if that means taking a break for a semester or a year, do it. You'll be much better off in the long run.

abenguyen
08-20-2009, 10:32 PM
break is a break man. just don't do anything stupid that may turn your life around and make you decide to not go to college. some people are ready and some aren't. take your time, go when YOU are ready.

i started college last year at a local university because its just what is expected from my family. taking a break is really not an option for me, but i don't feel like i need one. for what im going for, i need to go and keep going and not stop, otherwise im going to be in school for a lot longer than i should be.

(I'm a pre-med/biology major in my Sophomore year of college if you wanted to know)

i love t3nn1s
08-20-2009, 11:51 PM
coool thanx to all you guys that answered. I appreciate the advice! :) :) :)