PDA

View Full Version : Babolat Pro Hurricane: my experience

pabletion
08-20-2009, 11:32 AM
Hey, I guess Im about a 5.0 player (automatically demoted to 3.5 by TW posters infallible rating system) and always bought the cheapest strings I could find. I used a hybrid of Gosen Polylon Ice and Gosen OG Sheep micro for over two years and they were ok, and now bought a reel of Bab Pro Hurricane 16g. Thinking they were a stiff string, I still used my Gosen OG sheep as a cross string. My first impresion: It felt really stiff. I strung as I was with my previous Gosen Mains, 55 lbs main, 57 lbs crosses. Freshly out of the stringer, it felt pretty tight, and I had to swing hard. The next day, finally getting to play singles I felt like they had loosened up a bit, and felt much much better. I definitely saw more spin coming outta my ball and more pop, with very good control, and the most important thing, they feel comfortable. I was getting discomfort on my elbow from my last string which, in comparisson, felt (and are) much stiffer. Babolat Hurricane is a very comfortable string, Im gonna try and use it as a full set next time, to see how it goes, but Im loving it. Its my first expensive reel I buy (I got a bargain, about $80) and I can see the benefits of good strings. Recomendable, although they are pricey. How about you guys? Your thoughts about this string and how they rank and compare amongst the best out there?

vandre
08-20-2009, 11:40 AM
pro hurricane was the first poly i ever played with (full poly stringjob in a yonex rds003). it did a pretty good job of taming that frame but it went dead after a few months. i got talked into getting that frame strung with syn gut at 64 (since i had the pro hurricane strung at 59) and i hated it! it felt like a board and everything i hit jarred my arm! :evil: i've since settled on a hybrid stringjob with pro hurricane. the crosses on one of my fxp rads is pro hurricane (17 ga @58#).

overall, i'd say its a really good string that is stiff yet pretty playable but by its nature has some drawbacks.

theenrighthouse
08-20-2009, 11:44 AM
it did a pretty good job of taming that frame but it went dead after a few months.

Haha. Omg. You mean the reel went dead, or the strings on your racquet? If the latter, then... erm... a few months? Man, Most strings lose their life after 4-10 hours. OF COURSE they were dead after a few months.

*Shakes his head*

tsongaali
08-20-2009, 01:17 PM
yeah pro hurricane is the best babolat poly imo. Comfortable, very durable, and they don't go dead for a long time. I am not sure about the tension maintenance however.

I just wish they still sold it in blue.:(

Trickster
08-20-2009, 01:29 PM
I wouldn't classify Pro Hurricane as a comfortable string. It's a first gen mono poly with high stiffness!

There are much more comfortable strings out there. I think you should really try it with a softer string in the crosses - as you might find out about tennis elbow the hard way like I did!

I personally think there are so many better polys out there now - just look at the Weiss Canon stuff and some of Topspin's offerings.

10nistennis
08-20-2009, 01:33 PM
but it went dead after a few months.

Lol. I'm surprised it lasted THAT long.

pabletion
08-20-2009, 01:55 PM
I wouldn't classify Pro Hurricane as a comfortable string. It's a first gen mono poly with high stiffness!

There are much more comfortable strings out there. I think you should really try it with a softer string in the crosses - as you might find out about tennis elbow the hard way like I did!

I personally think there are so many better polys out there now - just look at the Weiss Canon stuff and some of Topspin's offerings.

Im using it as a hybrid, with Gosen OG Sheep Micro, and it feels great so far, big change from my Gosen Polylon Ice/OG Sheep Micro hybrid, that was kinda getting to my elbow.

So far, so good, it feels comfortable to me, but then again, Im sure there are more comfortable polys out there. Which Weiss and Topspin have you tried? How about Cyberflash? Ive had my eye on those strings, for their price and because of comments about them. Like I said, I got a bargain with these Pro Hurricanes, only $80 bucks for a 660 ft reel. And Tsonga, I got em in Blue!

Trickster, how would you compare the Hurricanes with Topspin's strings? Thanks

Mongolmike
08-20-2009, 02:20 PM
I used to use the Hurricane with my Babolat Aero Pro as a full job... loved how it played, but it felt "twangy". I've got no elbow problems, so it was ok for me... but it is NOT a soft feeling string! Plenty of pop and spin and control tho! (I've switched racquets this year, and now use a different string too, but for the Aero Pro, I think the Hurricane Pro Tour is a great fit.)

My wife uses it as a hybid in a Wilson... she uses it with Babolat Xcel 17. I'm surprised she likes it because she does occasionally have elbow problems and rarely hits spin on any of her shots, but the Xcel really does soften things up.

meowmix
08-20-2009, 05:28 PM
For the record, PHT is a second gen poly.

tsongaali
08-20-2009, 06:10 PM
For the record, PHT is a second gen poly.

We're talking about PH not PHT:roll:

meowmix
08-20-2009, 07:02 PM
Last time I checked, PH is also a second generation polyester. And considering that PHT is simply PH with some grooves on it, your comment does not make sense in the context of polyester generations.

nickarnold2000
08-20-2009, 09:05 PM
Hey, I guess Im about a 5.0 player (automatically demoted to 3.5 by TW posters infallible rating system) and always bought the cheapest strings I could find. I used a hybrid of Gosen Polylon Ice and Gosen OG Sheep micro for over two years and they were ok, and now bought a reel of Bab Pro Hurricane 16g. Thinking they were a stiff string, I still used my Gosen OG sheep as a cross string. My first impresion: It felt really stiff. I strung as I was with my previous Gosen Mains, 55 lbs main, 57 lbs crosses. Freshly out of the stringer, it felt pretty tight, and I had to swing hard. The next day, finally getting to play singles I felt like they had loosened up a bit, and felt much much better. I definitely saw more spin coming outta my ball and more pop, with very good control, and the most important thing, they feel comfortable. I was getting discomfort on my elbow from my last string which, in comparisson, felt (and are) much stiffer. Babolat Hurricane is a very comfortable string, Im gonna try and use it as a full set next time, to see how it goes, but Im loving it. Its my first expensive reel I buy (I got a bargain, about $80) and I can see the benefits of good strings. Recomendable, although they are pricey. How about you guys? Your thoughts about this string and how they rank and compare amongst the best out there?
Are you talking about the $29 Gosen Polylon Ice reel? Because that 1st gen. string is really stiff(it should be banned, IMO)!! I originally bought a reel and couldn't stand it so I let the kids mess around with it in the back yard with the weed wacker! I didn't want to sell it to anyone else and then have them come back to me complaining of sore wrists and elbows. 3rd gen poly is the only way to go, IMO

scotus
08-20-2009, 09:10 PM

Depends on the gauge.

The 18 gauge Pro Hurricane is one of the softest polys out there. According to the lab test result, it may very well be the softest.

Tar Heel Tennis
08-20-2009, 10:55 PM
Are you talking about the $29 Gosen Polylon Ice reel? Because that 1st gen. string is really stiff(it should be banned, IMO)!! I originally bought a reel and couldn't stand it so I let the kids mess around with it in the back yard with the weed wacker! I didn't want to sell it to anyone else and then have them come back to me complaining of sore wrists and elbows. 3rd gen poly is the only way to go, IMO

could you list some of these 3rd gen poly's?

thanks

pabletion
08-20-2009, 11:37 PM

The same one! I bought it back when I knew squat about strings, and just was lookin for the cheapest I could find. I was using whatever in my Babolat Pure Control, stringing at 62 lbs more or less (I guess I used soft nylon strings, whatever the stringer had), so naturally I assumed I had to string at the same tension. My arm almost fell off after the first full polylon Ice string job at 62lbs!

I started hybridin it with Gosen OG Micro last year, and feels much better, of course at lower tension, but now using the Bab pro Hurricane, man that feels like butter, even tho I know its not exactly the softest out there, but yeah, that Gosen Poly Ice is a killer.

Can someone describe what 1st gen, 2nd gen and 3rd gen polys mean exactly, and give examples of each of them?

nickarnold2000
08-21-2009, 05:57 AM
I'm certainly not the most knowledgeable about 3rd gen strings but a few that come to mind are: Topspin's cyber blue and concept pure(although TW isn't selling pure yet). Genesis's spin x and black magic(again sorry but TW doesn't yet sell these either. Kirschbaum's spikey shark and Pro line II. Weiss cannon's silver string. Can anyone else help out with this?
Luxilon has some but I'm not sure which ones are 3rd gen. What I like about the new poly strings is they're softer and hold tension much better than the older ones.

tata
08-22-2009, 03:00 AM
I have pro hurricane as my mains with PSGD for crosses at 58lbs on an 03 white. Compared to my previous string (full alu power) it definitely has a lot of pop on it. ive heard that its not a very arm friendly string so a full PH string job might cause elbow problems. But since im using it as my mains id say its lacking some feel. A bit springy, would've preferred something slightly more crisp. Power is definitely there, i get good court penetration with it. It made me play more flat and aggressive but IMO you have to work for the topspin a bit more than a string like alu power.

slice bh compliment
08-22-2009, 03:13 AM
Depends on the gauge.

The 18 gauge Pro Hurricane is one of the softest polys out there. According to the lab test result, it may very well be the softest.

I agree. I love Hurricane.
The 17g comes in blue, which is pretty cool.
But, the natural/white-ish colored Hurricane 18 feels the best to me. All the benefits of poly without the hard feel.

It does break, but I think that's a good thing (rather than playing with it as it gradually dies).

Looking forward to Revenge. Wonder if that'll come in 18g.

pabletion
08-31-2009, 10:46 PM
how about Hurricane as a full set? Does it feel very stiff? Im using it as a huybrid so far, with gosen OG sheep micro, and feels very comfortable and a little bit soft, I wanna try Hurricane as a full set. Thoughts?

pabletion
09-11-2009, 05:20 PM
Alrite, full Pro Hurricane setup: After breaking my hybrid set, finally strung yesterday with Pro Hurricane 16 as a full job. Feels great, like it better than prior hybrid. It feels more powerful and great spin. Serves feel very very good, the sound it generates gives me a lot of confidence and still feels soft enough (I guess I feel it very soft comparing to my prior strings...). In conclusion, I love this string, hope my reel lasts a long time cause it aint cheap!

Tennisallday
01-31-2010, 04:33 PM
Yeah I used a Full setup with Pro Hurricane and really like it compared to the other strings I had used