PDA

View Full Version : why tennis recruiting up dates only once a year?

papatenis
08-20-2009, 11:53 AM
does anybody know why tennis recruiting only updates their star rating once a year? wouldn't make more sense to update at least twice a year

10isplayer
08-20-2009, 02:43 PM
try and use the search function and you will find the answer

ClarkC
08-20-2009, 07:51 PM
Explained in their FAQs, I believe.

norcal22
08-21-2009, 06:08 AM
They claim it is because updating once a year makes it easier to see how much a player has improved

ClarkC
08-21-2009, 06:45 AM
They claim it is because updating once a year makes it easier to see how much a player has improved

Where do they claim that?

tennismom42
08-21-2009, 08:32 AM
does anybody know why tennis recruiting only updates their star rating once a year? wouldn't make more sense to update at least twice a year

Rankings are updated weekly, actually, usually on Tuesdays for Boys and another weekday for girls.

The stars are updated only once per year because:

Why do you only determine "stars" once a year?

The main reason that we only rate players once a year is that it is common for seniors to stop playing USTA junior tennis once they have signed with a college. They often continue improving their game by playing in "futures", pro, semi-pro, or ITF events only. We don't want the star rating that they have earned to fall just because we can't use these events in our rankings (there is not sufficient connectivity).

TRN sorts the kids by graduating class, therein is why coaches & recruiters use their site.

The stars are about to reset. They will reset about the last week of September or the first week of October. August is the last month to proove one's self & have an effect on one's star rating.

for more info, here's a link:

http://www.tennisrecruiting.net/faq.asp

I think most of your questions can be answered there.

norcal22
08-21-2009, 09:16 AM
Where do they claim that?
I read it in the frequently asked questions, i believe.

ClarkC
08-22-2009, 04:17 PM
I read it in the frequently asked questions, i believe.

Provide a link, and I will believe that.

dallasoliver
09-06-2009, 10:51 PM

Actually, we do not currently have the manpower to do more than one rating a year with all the other things that we do. Note that TennisRecruiting.net is a relatively small operation with only a handful of full-time employees. Doing the ratings consumes us for the entire month of September - and we don't have the bandwidth to do this more than once a year right now.

Ideally, we would do at least one more rating in the spring, but that is not in plan right now.

I hope this makes sense.

Best,
Dallas

jmhs
09-07-2009, 08:16 AM
Actually, we do not currently have the manpower to do more than one rating a year with all the other things that we do. Note that TennisRecruiting.net is a relatively small operation with only a handful of full-time employees. Doing the ratings consumes us for the entire month of September - and we don't have the bandwidth to do this more than once a year right now.

Ideally, we would do at least one more rating in the spring, but that is not in plan right now.

I hope this makes sense.

Best,
Dallas

Mr. Oliver, once I understood those facts, it makes perfect sense. Sorry that you have to keep answering the same question over and over again, but I guess that's part of your job :wink: Once a year is fine with the stars because any coach can look to see what a player is doing throughout the course of the year.

papatenis
09-07-2009, 11:43 AM

I hope this makes sense.

Best,
Dallas

All computer whizies, is what he is saying correct? Is it that difficult to do? Am I wrong, but isn't this done with some type of program?

dallasoliver
09-07-2009, 01:27 PM
All computer whizies, is what he is saying correct? Is it that difficult to do? Am I wrong, but isn't this done with some type of program?

Sure we use computers, and we automate as much as we can. But that only gets you so far...

"Why isn't Tournament X showing up on my record?"

"In Tournament X, both your website and the USTA website say that I won two matches, but I actually won three. Can you fix it?"

We have received hundreds - literally hundreds - of questions like these. Most questions are misunderstandings, but there are many cases where the data is not clean and needs attention. We make every effort to track down all of these requests.

In addition, we run our own reports and data-verification procedures - some of which are automated, but some that are not.

Those are some of the reasons that there is a one-month delay and that we only do one rating a year.

I hope this makes sense.

Best,
Dallas

dallasoliver
09-07-2009, 02:39 PM
One last point on the Top Prospect ratings and our policy of taking a month before releasing the ratings...

We take these ratings very seriously and do all we can to make them as accurate as possible. We do it because it is the right thing and we want to, but we also do it because people get very upset if there are errors - and the clean-up of errors is extremely messy as well. Last year, we had people threaten us with lawsuits when their child ended up as a 4 Star rather than a 5 Star. (This is the exception rather than the rule, but it is just part of doing business when you calculate rankings to which people pay attention.)

Note that there are several distinct cutoff lines. In each list, the #25 player will be a Blue Chip, but the #26 player will be a 5 Star. We draw five "lines" (i.e., between Blue Chip and 5-Star, between 5-Star and 4-Star, etc.) for each graduation year and gender. With 7 classes and 2 genders, that means that we draw 70 lines - and we hear from many, many kids that just miss the cut. It is a very contentious time.

And if we do make a mistake, that leads to lots of problems. Suppose that there is a girl who we put in at #27 who should have actually been #24. We will move her up if it is justified, but that creates more problems for us... now we have 26 Blue Chips... people in other lists see that and ask why they don't get 26 Blue Chips in their class... And the parent of the top 4-Star player will notice that there are now only 49 5-Star recruits in their list... why is his daughter not moved up to a 5 Star? And on and on it goes.

So we really, really, really want to get this right - as much as possible. All of us at TennisRecruiting.net will be very, very sick of tournament data by month's end.

I hope this helps. Get those corrections into us soon!

Best,
Dallas

kme5150
09-08-2009, 08:47 AM
What I don't understand is how there is a player that has an TennisRPI over 400 and a Schedule Strength in the high 300's that is a Blue Chip and then you have a player who has a single digit ranking in both and is not a Blue Chip?

dallasoliver
09-08-2009, 09:46 AM
What I don't understand is how there is a player that has an TennisRPI over 400 and a Schedule Strength in the high 300's that is a Blue Chip and then you have a player who has a single digit ranking in both and is not a Blue Chip?

Happy to discuss specifics if you wish to share.

In general, realize that the current ratings (Blue Chips, etc.) are based on play from September 2007 through August 2008 - and the current rankings are based on play from 8-Sep-2008 through 7-Sep-2009. This is the time of year when the ratings are most incorrect. A player who has a single-digit ranking will be a Blue Chip when we release the new ratings next month.

Also, the TennisRPI metrics do not count at all towards a player's rating. Ratings are based solely on the College Recruiting Lists.

Best,
Dallas

kme5150
09-08-2009, 10:24 AM
Happy to discuss specifics if you wish to share.

I'll send you an email. I would rather not put juniors names on a public forum.

Why doesn't the TennisRPI doesn't count towards a players ranking? Every college system uses this system in their rankings.

dallasoliver
09-08-2009, 11:13 AM
Why doesn't the TennisRPI doesn't count towards a players ranking? Every college system uses this system in their rankings.

Our website publishes two rankings each week for our players: College Recruiting Lists (CRL) and TennisRPI.

We feel that the CRL rankings are the better rankings. For tennis, we feel that the TennisRPI algorithm has some anomalies. In general it is a good algorithm, and the strength of schedule is particularly interesting. But we feel like the CRLs are the better algorithm - and so we use those for the Top Prospect ratings.

Best,
Dallas