PDA

View Full Version : It is hard to believe that Marvin Gaye has been dead for 25 years

Eviscerator
08-20-2009, 01:41 PM
I was just listening to the radio and one of his songs came on the radio. I've always enjoyed listening to his music and can only wonder how much more entertainment and joy he could have brought to people had he not met his tragic end.

フェデラー
08-20-2009, 01:47 PM
this is ironic i have been listening to him non stop since last night!

SempreSami
08-20-2009, 03:18 PM
And yet Paul McCartney still lives.

CrocodileRock
08-20-2009, 06:02 PM
It's easier for me to believe the passage of time than the fact that his own father killed him.

Before I saw this thread, I was thinking that my favorite bands growing up were Beatles, Who, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Queen, and the Doors, all of whom have lost at least one member.

Eviscerator
08-20-2009, 08:11 PM
It's easier for me to believe the passage of time than the fact that his own father killed him.

Before I saw this thread, I was thinking that my favorite bands growing up were Beatles, Who, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Queen, and the Doors, all of whom have lost at least one member.

Yes they are all getting older, and will be passing with time.

Gaye's death was tragic because it was so senseless. The father got off because they discovered a brain tumor which supposedly(according to his defense) cause him to snap and not understand what he was doing.

LanEvo
08-20-2009, 09:58 PM
whos Marvin Gaye? he sounds black for some reason

heycal
08-20-2009, 11:18 PM

Really? I think he sounds more gay than black for some reason.

Meanwhile, as the Howard Stern version of the Beatles song about Marvin Gay goes, "He's a real nowhere man, he got shot by his old man..."

Dedans Penthouse
08-21-2009, 05:50 AM

What's goin' on :?:

heycal
08-21-2009, 10:09 AM
I have a friend who was a bartender at a posh L.A. restaurant a few years back, and he said many celebrities came in. He said the nicest of all was Paul McCartney. Was sweet to everyone, drew a picture for a busboy, etc. (Celebs who did not impress him favorably were Peter Falk and Al Franken.)

So for a dead guy, Paul seems in a pretty good mood.

Eviscerator
08-21-2009, 09:58 PM

He is probably before you time, but not so old you cannot appreciate his music and talent.
Do yourself a favor and listen to a few of his songs. He has the ability to connect with you in a way that all good artists do. This is not my favorite song of his, but it was one of his most popular.

http://www.songarea.com/mc/10/marvin_gaye.html

You might have heard this song as it has been in movies and commercials.

http://www.songarea.com/mc/8/marvin_gaye.html

Deuce
08-22-2009, 01:41 AM
I was just listening to the radio and one of his songs came on the radio. I've always enjoyed listening to his music and can only wonder how much more entertainment and joy he could have brought to people had he not met his tragic end.
^ Or maybe his life would have spiraled out of control due to his problem with cocaine...

We'll never know.

David_Is_Right
08-22-2009, 03:44 AM

Made me laugh! Yes, it's a tragedy...

Eviscerator
08-22-2009, 12:32 PM
^ Or maybe his life would have spiraled out of control due to his problem with cocaine...

We'll never know.

Indeed, he was already on the wrong path. However one can recover from cocaine addiction more so than two shotgun blasts to the chest.

heycal
08-22-2009, 01:10 PM
Indeed, he was already on the wrong path. However one can recover from cocaine addiction more so than two shotgun blasts to the chest.

Evissy said something funny. Never thought I'd see the day!

David_Is_Right
08-23-2009, 05:47 AM
I don't think cocaine "addiction" is something you need to "recover" from, because it's not physically addictive. You just need to stop doing it!

heycal
08-23-2009, 07:08 AM
I don't think cocaine "addiction" is something you need to "recover" from, because it's not physically addictive. You just need to stop doing it!

Well, he stopped doing it. You happy now?

myservenow
08-23-2009, 08:43 PM
I am in my 30s now and was never a big Marvin Gaye fan but I can remember hearing over the radio the announcement that he had just been shot and killed by his father. I was floored for some reason that I didn't understand because I only vaguely knew anything about his career at that time. Since that time I have come to know a lot of his earlier work and appreciate him for the talent that he was.

For some reason in the late 80s or early 90s I came into possession of a Marvin Gaye tape called "Dream of a Lifetime." I was expecting more of the same Marvin Gaye soul and got quite an education in the process. The songs were pretty catchy and I had listened to them a few times before I realized what most of them were about. If you've never heard this album, a lot of these songs are simply dirty and even raunchy songs. Especially for the time he recorded them.

Anyway, that is my contribution to this Marvin Gaye remembrance thread.