PDA

View Full Version : Should I invest in noise canceling headphones?

VivalaVida
08-20-2009, 02:55 PM
I am starting college in 10 days and I cannot study without complete silence. I have heard noise canceling headphones are excellent for canceling out background noise and studying. Does anyone else use them? Is it a good investment? Because they are a bit pricey.

LuckyR
08-20-2009, 03:08 PM
I am starting college in 10 days and I cannot study without complete silence. I have heard noise canceling headphones are excellent for canceling out background noise and studying. Does anyone else use them? Is it a good investment? Because they are a bit pricey.

No, don't buy noise canceling HPs. They cancel out droning noises like airplane engines not the stuff coming out of the dorm room next door. You'll do better with canal phones.

Wizard of id
08-20-2009, 03:12 PM
No, don't buy noise canceling HPs. They cancel out droning noises like airplane engines not the stuff coming out of the dorm room next door. You'll do better with canal phones.

+1. Shure (http://store.shure.com/store/shure/en_US/list/categoryID.12165500) make some excellent stuff. Look around for deals.

abenguyen
08-20-2009, 11:34 PM
depends how much you are willing to dish out. honestly i could say im just like you, i've tried studying with mass amounts of people, and i just got so frustrated. however this is college if you want quiet theres the library. there's always a floor meant for quiet study, i found it at my college and use it all the time.

however, i live at home so i can understand your viewpoint of dealing with people next door, etc.

Deuce
08-20-2009, 11:46 PM
How will you ever learn to discipline yourself to concentrate if you go that route?

cucio
08-21-2009, 02:57 AM
If you are obsessed about noise (as I was at a certain time in my life) the few dB off noise-canceling headphones will get you won't cut it. Besides wearing headphones gets tiresome after some minutes, no matter how comfortable they are.

You are better off trying to adjust your attitude so you learn not to care. Mental yoga helps a lot.

In the meantime, try to find quiet places to study (libraries, secluded corners at small cafes...)

You can try to acoustically isolate your living quarters, but it is normally cheaper and more effective to find a place to live where isolation is not needed in the first time (quiet small villages or neighborhoods.)

Nonentity
08-21-2009, 03:00 AM
try studying with music. it will drown out the annoying and sudden noises that are distracting.

goran_ace
08-21-2009, 07:04 AM
Save your money. Try out KOSS pathfinder or sparkplug headphones. Should run you about $20. They are earbuds with a foam earcushion. It's like wearing earplugs so it isolates the listeners ears very well (and also holds them very secure - I wear them while working out). They sound as good or better than anything you can buy under $50.

film1
08-21-2009, 07:18 AM
Go the the Library, if the school library is too loud go to a public library or find a quiet place.
You could also do like I did and not study or go to class very much.

Sentinel
08-21-2009, 07:19 AM
How will you ever learn to discipline yourself to concentrate if you go that route?

+100

If you are obsessed about noise (as I was at a certain time in my life) the few dB off noise-canceling headphones will get you won't cut it. Besides wearing headphones gets tiresome after some minutes, no matter how comfortable they are.

You are better off trying to adjust your attitude so you learn not to care. )

+1

Learn to ignore external noises and concentrate what you are reading.

abenguyen
08-21-2009, 08:52 AM
Go the the Library, if the school library is too loud go to a public library or find a quiet place.

and how did that work out for you?

VivalaVida
08-21-2009, 01:55 PM
LOL. You should see the college library. It is huge and far from quiet. People chatting, munching, talking on the phone, etc.

VivalaVida
08-21-2009, 01:59 PM
When I study, I need the quiet to absorb the info. I have no problem concentrating on any other task except studying. If these headphone help, than that is great. When I get in the zone during studying, I always perform exceptionally well in my classes.

VivalaVida
08-21-2009, 02:00 PM

You are better off trying to adjust your attitude so you learn not to care. Mental yoga helps a lot.

In the meantime, try to find quiet places to study (libraries, secluded corners at small cafes...)

You can try to acoustically isolate your living quarters, but it is normally cheaper and more effective to find a place to live where isolation is not needed in the first time (quiet small villages or neighborhoods.)
Yeah I do that now. I actually study late into the night sometimes when it is completely quite. That is when I do the best studying.

David_Is_Right
08-21-2009, 02:08 PM
How about ear plugs?

Deuce
08-21-2009, 10:19 PM
When I study, I need the quiet to absorb the info. I have no problem concentrating on any other task except studying. If these headphone help, than that is great. When I get in the zone during studying, I always perform exceptionally well in my classes.
My point, dear grasshopper, is that disciplining yourself to be able to study in spite of any noise or distractions will be of much greater benefit to you than any sort of ear-blocking.

Blocking your ears with something is only a second-rate, temporary solution. What happens when you have no access to ear-blocking materials?

Learning to mentally block out the noises and distractions, however, is a permanent solution which you'd be able to use anytime and anywhere - far more beneficial.

David_Is_Right
08-22-2009, 03:49 AM
So you won't mind if I join a death metal band and move next door to you to practice, Deuce?

http://www.stevemorse.info/equipment/images/cabinets.jpg

I also have a wall-drilling fetish... that OK?

Terr
08-22-2009, 10:54 PM
I would say they're not worth the investment unless you travel by air a lot. In which case it really helps to drown out crying babies, engine noise and loud asian people.

I have a pair of Sennheiser's HD 201s. They're not noise cancelling but since they're over ear headphones, they do a nice job of muting any background noise. Don't cost much either and sound quality is as great as you can expect from Sennheiser.