PDA

View Full Version : Worst job you've ever had?

veritech
08-21-2009, 12:29 AM
So what's the worst job you've ever had?

The other day I was speaking with one of my co-workers and we were comparing our past job experiences, and who had it worse.

Looking at all the jobs and internships I've had in the past, I've never had an extremely bad job. Having rude, *****y, incompetent co-workers and employers is the worst it has ever gotten for me, and nothing beyond that.

On the contrary, my co-worker has worked many jobs, one of them being a street cleaner working the night shift. Although he worked for about 4 months, the stories he told me were some of the funniest, nastiest, and craziest stories I've ever heard. Overall, he didn't like the job because of all the disgusting things, people, and events he had to deal with.

It's an intriguing topic, so I ask again, what's the worst job you've ever had?

damazing
08-21-2009, 05:52 AM
Worst job was a fry cook for a greasy seafood restaurant. I'd literally come home so reeking of fish that I had to get undressed out side my place and leave all of my clothes on the porch.

I think my tennis shoes were declared an EPA Toxic Superfund Cleanup site.

Gh0st
08-21-2009, 06:30 AM
Worked with my uncle the summer after I graduated high school doing construction. It was one of the hottest summers in a long time and I remember just pouring sweat by 8am. We would work until it got dark and I was paid under the table.

I would come home exhausted. But you know, all in all, it wasn't that bad. I learned a few cool things that are still useful today.

MegacedU
08-23-2009, 04:44 PM
For two excruciating weeks I was a telemarketer. Never Again.

max
08-23-2009, 05:45 PM
I was in a work crew that had to clean up a burnt over section of a factory area that had metal-working chemicals. Also cleaned out filter vats.

Dishwasher at a Chinese restaurant: hot and wet and busy work. Lost weight doing that.

Oven man at a pizza place. Hot, singed arms, dehydrating.

Cut carpet, rolled carpet.

McDonald's: grease and sweat.

Spent a week sanding auto parts.

Ran a special event for a week; don't care to go into details. Lot of dancing, handholding and 18-hour days.

Graduate student TA: long hours, pitiful pay, whiny students, blue books.

Not so much jobs, but I've worked on cars, cleaned latrines, roofed houses and garages, repaired house foundations.

Wakenslam
08-23-2009, 05:52 PM
I've had a few bad ones, but the worst was Burger King. That lasted all of two days! I was just finishing up a grueling 7 hour shift and the manager informs me that I'm going to have to stay until closing. This was at 7 PM, and we stayed open until 2 AM. I promptly told him to shove it and walked out.

There was another one as a helper at a body shop. It actually wasn't too bad except for one morning. I had just finished eating a McDonalds sausage and cheese biscuit, and a flatbed brings in an Acura that had smashed into a huge pig. It was my job to clean all the guts out of what was left of the front end. I puked my guts out. Good times!

ollinger
08-24-2009, 09:10 AM
Working in a bullet factory, loading primers and slugs into used shells to make "reloads." The very small factory was owned by a retired cop who sold the reloads to local police departments for target practice. Being surrounded by 50 pound barrels of gunpowder put real meaning into the "no smoking" signs.

mikeler
08-24-2009, 10:35 AM
Working at a fern nursery in Central Florida in July was brutal. I left for lunch the 2nd day and never came back. My grades went way up after that experience...

CanadianChic
08-24-2009, 04:43 PM
Telemarketing.

Lionheart392
08-24-2009, 05:52 PM
I worked in a garden centre when I was 17 and it was awful. The work was long and exhausting but by far the worst part was the people I worked with. They were arrogant and stuck-up and for some reason believed that working in a garden centre made them important. I got absolutely no training, on my very first day they just handed me a map of the place and then left me alone without telling me how things worked. I quit after about 6 weeks.

maverick66
08-24-2009, 06:14 PM
Worked at a golf course. It was terrible. I worked in the club house and the hot dog stand. I smelt like hot dogs after wards. Plus i got the juice from them on a shirt and threw it in the back of my car. It stunk of hot dogs in my car for weeks. Another cool thing was i got to clean out a bar. IT had all this nice white substance on all the beers on the bottom. That ruined a shirt and turned it strange colors. Then they told me they had no work a day after cleaning the bar. Worst people alive ran that place.

raiden031
08-25-2009, 11:40 AM
I spent a couple weeks in the summer working on a dairy farm milking cows when I was about 14. It wasn't that bad, except I didn't like how some of the cows would kick at me when trying to milk them. Plus it didn't pay very well since it wasn't a legit job.

I worked at Roy Rogers for 2 1/2 years. That also wasn't bad, but I dealt with a couple of ridiculous customers who have no manners.

My first IT job out of college I was working part time in the company's office and part time at a federal government site. I almost walked off the job because I was harrassed by some of the personnel at the government site. There were some low-lifes in IT positions over there, and some of them acted less professional than my co-workers at Roy Rogers. This was probably the worst of my experiences.

FuriousYellow
08-26-2009, 08:24 AM
For two excruciating weeks I was a telemarketer. Never Again.

Heh, heh. I had forgotten about my brief stint as a telemarketer years ago. I think I quit after a week.

Hated it. It was part-time work and my shift started at 6:00pm, so I was calling people right around the dinner hour. I wasn't even selling anything either. It was a solicitation for charity. The surprising thing is I was able to actually convince people to donate.

The worst job I had was my one-day stint as a driver for an airport shuttle service. After 8 hours of driving around on the freeway in a rickety old van with no A/C, I puked my guts out and quit.

Arrows
08-27-2009, 12:17 AM
McDonald's. Rush-hour customers are psychologically insane.

Kevin T
08-27-2009, 03:27 PM
I grew up next to a dairy farm and spent nearly every morning and late evening of my junior high and high school years milking cows, shoveling cow poo, bailing hay. I hated it at the time but it made me a man and was probably as key to getting in shape/getting a college bball scholarship as weight lifting/running/etc. I still enjoy "the fragrance of nature", as they say and drives through the country are very pleasant for me. I've spent many a boring afternoon behind a computer in my office wishing I was outside farming.

That job wasn't bad. My worst job ever was for the Blue Beacon Truck Wash. Not Toyota Tacoma trucks, 18 wheeler trucks. Miserable. The water pressure out of those sprayers could knock you down and the chemicals burned your eyes and skin. I lasted a month before deciding I would rather be poor for the summer.

My funnest job ever was bartending in grad school. Good tips, lots of hot women and I actually looked forward to work. My claim to fame was working at Mountain Lake Resort in VA, where Swayze warned a certain Dad that "Nobody puts Baby in the corner!".

heycal
08-27-2009, 11:29 PM
where Swayze warned a certain Dad that "Nobody puts Baby in the corner!".

Wait, wasn't it the dad who had that line?

I could be wrong. I'm not an expert on that film.

SoCal10s
08-28-2009, 12:05 AM
good and bad at the same time.. college job when minimum wage was $2.55 per/hr I had a job paying $15 per/hr. as an apprentice in a machine shop.. worked there in the mornings,part time and then when back to uni for tennis team.. it was fun until one week the next machine shop next door ,lost a guy..his head was crushed by the printing press that fell on him.. then the same week one of our worker cut off his thumb and I had to take him to the emergency,his tendon and bone was all over the place and I had to wrap it up so he wouldn't faint... driving like a maniac holding the guy's arm up and blood dripping everywhere .. he was ready to faint,good thing he didn't cuz I would have had to carry him.. then the follow week all the co-workers keep telling me that I was an accident waiting to happen... I got the hint... adios ,finished the year in college and started teaching tennis for $20 per/hr... much safer...

Kevin T
08-28-2009, 07:45 AM
Wait, wasn't it the dad who had that line?

I could be wrong. I'm not an expert on that film.

Oh no, Heycal. Don't you remember Johnny returning after being fired? He waltzed right in to the season-ending jamboree, walked up to the table and said "Nobody puts Baby in the corner!". Later, after watching Swayze shake his groove thang, Dad admits he was wrong. Ah, what a moment. Anyway, I worked catering and bartending for a few years at Mountain Lake. 'Dirty Dancing' was partly filmed there and at another resort in NC, I believe. The final dance scene was in NC because Mountain Lake didn't have a large enough ballroom but most was filmed in VA. I hear you can still request the 'Swayze' room. Another fun fact...the lake house that Baby's family stayed in was actually being rented out by the chef when I was there and hadn't housed guests for years.

MakeSenseNotBabies
08-28-2009, 12:08 PM
one summer, i did a week of overnight security in a fireworks tent, from 9pm to 8am. terrible. i spent the night sitting on foldout chairs, or walking around.
during one night, it was about 40 degrees fhrnt, and i hate to wear the blue waterproof tarp/cover thing as a blanket.

luckily, i had downloaded about 15 indian movies, and the Planet Earth series. so i had my laptop with me.

heycal
08-28-2009, 01:26 PM
one summer, i did a week of overnight security in a fireworks tent, from 9pm to 8am. terrible. i spent the night sitting on foldout chairs, or walking around.
during one night, it was about 40 degrees fhrnt, and i hate to wear the blue waterproof tarp/cover thing as a blanket.

luckily, i had downloaded about 15 indian movies, and the Planet Earth series. so i had my laptop with me.

Sounds to me like the worst part was watching those 15 indian movies.

KevinT, clearly I have not seen "Dirty Dancing" enough times. I will try and see it a few more times so I really know my stuff.

burosky
08-28-2009, 01:49 PM
Not me but whoever this is must think it's the worst job.

http://i574.photobucket.com/albums/ss187/burosky/bad_job.jpg

Mr.Brightside
08-28-2009, 06:51 PM
Not me but whoever this is must think it's the worst job.

http://i574.photobucket.com/albums/ss187/burosky/bad_job.jpg

LMAO!!!

10char

Sentinel
08-29-2009, 06:19 AM
Ambassador of Zeta Carinae to Earth is by light years the worst appointment I;ve had in the last 3 millenia of my pseudo-biochemical life.