PDA

View Full Version : Natural Gut

daslosh247
08-21-2009, 08:30 AM
So I just purchased some VS to try out, I string on my own drop weight. Current string is Kirsch Pro line II at 60 lbs on pure storm ltd. I'm nervous because I don't want to snap the VS (obviously) and I've never strung natural gut before, even on like a babolat 5 star or similar machine. Any tips on tension/technique? Do I go higher or lower on tension? Will the drop weight snap it? I usually do one piece and use the drop weight to tie off, though I hardly put any tension on it, it's just tighter than doing it by hand. Obviously I know to move the strings when pulling crosses so it doesn't cut through with the friction. Please help.

drakulie
08-21-2009, 08:41 AM
Just take your time, and make sure your technique is sound (no shortcuts). You should be fine.

daslosh247
08-21-2009, 08:46 AM
I don't have to adjust tension on mains or crosses?

schenkelini
08-21-2009, 10:10 AM
Gut is closer to synthetic gut than poly, so if you have used synthetic in your racket I would start out with whatever tension you liked there. At the least I would think that you would go up 2 to 3 pounds from a soft poly.

daslosh247
08-21-2009, 10:12 AM
Yeah I usually string synthetic at 62. So maybe I'll start there.

LttlElvis
08-21-2009, 10:18 AM
First time to string gut is a little scary, but you will find it handles well, and is actually easier to string the crosses because of the waxy coating. Main thing is to avoid kinks. Also just tighten the knots by hand. I think gut is probably the easiest string to knot.