PDA

View Full Version : I'm finally appreciating ALU Power

ogruskie
08-21-2009, 02:27 PM
I gave it 3 tries over the past year. The following tensions: 60, 57, and 52. I'm currently using 52, and it's great. The feel is still very crisp, and I might have to go lower next time.

The last time I was using ALU I was a decent player at best. I just hated the string, didn't see anything special at all. But now that I have a bit more competitive experience and my strokes are more consistent and aggressive, full ALU is magic. I can rip the ball and it won't go out, the spin is incredible. Most shots that I believe are DEFINITELY out end up spinning into the baseline. As Agassi said, I feel like I'm cheating with this string.

The only downside is price. However, since I never break full poly, I might invest in a reel and it'll probably last me a few years...

[d]ragon
08-21-2009, 02:34 PM
ALU Power (and rough) are great strings. Another downside other than price is that it's not that durable for a poly. What I notice is that The strings will start to cut into each other, causing string breakage much earlier than polys. If not for these two aspects, I'd be using this stuff all the time

ogruskie
08-21-2009, 02:37 PM
ragon;3834849']ALU Power (and rough) are great strings. Another downside other than price is that it's not that durable for a poly. What I notice is that The strings will start to cut into each other, causing string breakage much earlier than polys. If not for these two aspects, I'd be using this stuff all the time

The first time I used ALU it lasted 3 months, but I cut them out. So...it's not an issue...

Keifers
08-21-2009, 02:45 PM
I gave it 3 tries over the past year. The following tensions: 60, 57, and 52. I'm currently using 52, and it's great. The feel is still very crisp, and I might have to go lower next time.

The last time I was using ALU I was a decent player at best. I just hated the string, didn't see anything special at all. But now that I have a bit more competitive experience and my strokes are more consistent and aggressive, full ALU is magic. I can rip the ball and it won't go out, the spin is incredible. Most shots that I believe are DEFINITELY out end up spinning into the baseline. As Agassi said, I feel like I'm cheating with this string.

The only downside is price. However, since I never break full poly, I might invest in a reel and it'll probably last me a few years...
Good to hear. :)

As a reference point, what tension(s) did you use with other strings in your racquet? (And what strings were they?)

Thanks.

ogruskie
08-21-2009, 02:57 PM
Good to hear. :)

As a reference point, what tension(s) did you use with other strings in your racquet? (And what strings were they?)

Thanks.

I use primarily Weisscannon Silverstring (mains) and Forten Sweet (crosses). I've been using 60 pounds for as long as I can remember (regardless its a hybrid or full poly), but over the last few months I've been decreasing the tension since my elbow has been aching. I went from 60 to 57, to 55. So 55 has been my primary tension for the past several weeks.

Full ALU was the first time I used full poly in months, so I have to drastically lower the tension. As I said, I'm going even lower next time.

psYcon
08-21-2009, 05:46 PM
I have been using ALU Power strung at 50lbs and usually they last me 2-3 months easily. And I agree, these babies need to be played at low tension

ogruskie
08-21-2009, 06:27 PM
I have been using ALU Power strung at 50lbs and usually they last me 2-3 months easily. And I agree, these babies need to be played at low tension

I honestly have no idea how some people string these in a 18X20 frame at 60 pounds and have no arm problems.

Keifers
08-21-2009, 08:28 PM
I use primarily Weisscannon Silverstring (mains) and Forten Sweet (crosses). I've been using 60 pounds for as long as I can remember (regardless its a hybrid or full poly), but over the last few months I've been decreasing the tension since my elbow has been aching. I went from 60 to 57, to 55. So 55 has been my primary tension for the past several weeks.

Full ALU was the first time I used full poly in months, so I have to drastically lower the tension. As I said, I'm going even lower next time.
Thanks.

I honestly have no idea how some people string these in a 18X20 frame at 60 pounds and have no arm problems.
I put a hybrid of Lux Fluoro/Gamma TNT2 Pro Plus 17L @ 58/60 in a 4 stripe POG OS recently. I usually string that frame with multi @ 64 lbs and I thought I'd dropped the tension enough...

Nope. :( Much too harsh, simply unplayable, and I had to cut the strings out. Ouch!

You've got me wondering what tension I should try with the remaining half-sets.

Suggestions? Anyone?

abenguyen
08-21-2009, 10:15 PM
weird, never thought this string could be THAT stiff...maybe i should consider stringing these pretty low then? i planned on using it as a hybrid in some n95's. any suggestions?

ogruskie
08-22-2009, 12:18 AM
Thanks.

I put a hybrid of Lux Fluoro/Gamma TNT2 Pro Plus 17L @ 58/60 in a 4 stripe POG OS recently. I usually string that frame with multi @ 64 lbs and I thought I'd dropped the tension enough...

Nope. :( Much too harsh, simply unplayable, and I had to cut the strings out. Ouch!

You've got me wondering what tension I should try with the remaining half-sets.

Suggestions? Anyone?

I strongly recommend you string 15% lower than your usual tension. 10% is still stiff, 15% will feel crisp. If you want full ALU on the softer side, string 15% lower or more. I'd experiment with the tensions.

weird, never thought this string could be THAT stiff...maybe i should consider stringing these pretty low then? i planned on using it as a hybrid in some n95's. any suggestions?

Again, string lower than you usually would. But again, it depends on your preference.

Do you hit pretty flat? I know so many people love those various ALU power strings, they just feel dead to me. Maybe stringing loser is the answer here. I just didn't feel like these strings grab the ball at all. I just love soft multis I guess. Gamma Rev, Babolat Addiction, KLIP Excel are my favorites in any frame.

I hit flat, but there's still some topspin on my shots. I'd recommend you hybrid ALU with a soft multi and see if that changes your mind.

Keifers
08-22-2009, 01:12 AM
I strongly recommend you string 15% lower than your usual tension. 10% is still stiff, 15% will feel crisp. If you want full ALU on the softer side, string 15% lower or more. I'd experiment with the tensions.

Thanks. I'll report back when I've tried that.

ogruskie
08-22-2009, 02:19 AM
Thanks for your recommendation. Is there any benefit to hybriding with ALU aside from durability? I ask because I just don't care much about durability hardly, it's just the cost of the string to me.

For more comfort. No matter how low the tension is, a full poly set-up will never feel as soft as a hybrid.

Thanks. I'll report back when I've tried that.

Looking forward to it :)

OTMPut
08-22-2009, 02:21 AM
I use full lux alu power rough on k88. Usually string it 48-50 lbs range.
They might last longer in the sense that they do not break. However they go "dead" pretty quickly. I can feel the loss of crispness after 8-10 hours of play.
I have to cut them out every 2-3 weeks.

ronalditop
08-22-2009, 09:20 AM

I agree. I cant understant how some people use ALUPower or any other very stiff string at such high tensions, especially on 18x20 racquets. First time I used a poly I looked for what tension do people prefer with polys, and most seem to string it at around 58. So I tried 58lbs and I felt I was hitting a rock instead of a tennis ball, thats how stiff it felt. But now that I have more experience I know its better to string stiff polys at very low tensions. Right now im using 54lbs, but I feel more comfortable and I play better when the strings are old and have lost tension, so next time Im stringing at 50.

abenguyen
08-22-2009, 12:05 PM
Again, string lower than you usually would. But again, it depends on your preference.

hmm i like a pretty stiff stringbed, however lately i've been gearing towards lower tensions its just nicer to play with im currently stringing ashaway monogut mains with wilson hollow core crosses at 55/57 lbs respectively and love it. have you tried monogut before and how would ALU power compare to it?

Nanshiki
08-22-2009, 01:39 PM
I'm not really a fan of ALUP since I've found much cheaper strings that work as well for me... although I'm sure for many players the extra 10% of performance justifies the price... but those people are either pros or delusional.

Cfidave
08-22-2009, 02:32 PM
I've been using it for quit a while @ 54lbs with VS gut in the crosses. Nice combination, I can see why this is liked by so many of the pros.