PDA

View Full Version : Stringing Crosses (from the throat up)

diamondgeezer
08-22-2009, 12:49 PM
I was told by Liam Nolan (UKRSA) that this practice puts extra stress on the frame, and could lead to frame breakage in rare cases. And that his around the world pattern should be used in these cases.

However, upon speaking to a very knowledgeable stringer at my club, he says he has been stringing throat up (on one piece jobs) for 30 years with no problems.

What do you guys do/think? I always thought stringing one piece from the throat up was classed in the league of double pulling/tensioning crosses.

The_Question
08-22-2009, 01:50 PM
Some frames can be done from down to up...I think some HEAD frames can do that. However, if it's not recommended, you're on your own. It's like going to a swinger's club w/o a condom...

uk_skippy
08-22-2009, 02:23 PM
Just because a stringer has been stringing for 30 years doesn't necessarily mean that they have a sound stringing technique.

It is generally accepted that stringing head to throat is the best way to install crosses and that it is less stressful for the rqt. Some companies state in their patterns that their rqts are ok to be strung, namely Wilson & Babolat. I'd say unless a Head pattern specifically states the rqt should be strung throat to head, I'd always string them head to throat.

Liam is a highly experienced stringer having strung at many tournaments & Wimbledon. Under what grounds do you say that your club stringer is very knowledgeable?

Regards

Paul

Cfidave
08-22-2009, 02:35 PM
Depends very much on the racquet. I have done it both ways, without a problem,but feel more comfortable sringing crosses from the head down.

tennisfreak15347
08-22-2009, 05:32 PM
Some frames can be done from down to up...I think some HEAD frames can do that. However, if it's not recommended, you're on your own. It's like going to a swinger's club w/o a condom...

It's actually the opposite of what you've stated. A lot of HEAD and Yonex frames cannot take stringing crosses from the throat up. Some Babolat and Wilson racquets can take the stress, but it is overall a procedure not recommended.

DrumWizOHBD
08-22-2009, 05:56 PM
My old Dunlop Super Revelations are strung from the throat up I believe back when I learned to string the Stringer's Digest said to start crosses at the throat. They are 15 yrs old and are in good shape. I have had several Wilsons crack (with no scuffs or 'beat-up' marks) over the years, strung top to bottom. A couple of my Dnlops is pretty beat up. So, go figure.

The around the world pattern is pretty cool though. For a friend, I used to string an old Bumblebee Trysis that way, because that's how Agassi had his strung. With Kevlar in the mains and syn in the crosses, but the two outside mains were synthetic gut....looked pretty killer.

diamondgeezer
08-23-2009, 03:11 AM
So if you roll up to the Wimbledon stringing area. Will the stringers ever be stringing throat up or not?

uk_skippy
08-23-2009, 03:21 AM
So if you roll up to the Wimbledon stringing area. Will the stringers ever be stringing throat up or not?

We try not too, but what also comes from tournament stringing rooms are snippets of information whereby certain rqts perform better when strung bottom up. This can help when it is notice that some rqts may 'shrink' in length when strung one way, but not when strung another. It this case bottom up maybe better.

It can also be said that tournament stringing rooms are run whereby the work ethic is to string the rqt in the quickest and easiest method, and that this may involve stringing bottom up. After all Pro's don't have to worry some much about replacing their rqts as most of them will get them supplied. Also some player may request their rqts to be strung a specific way.

Personally I string all rqts whether for my regular customers or for the Pro's, head to throat.

Regards

Paul

namartens
08-23-2009, 03:32 AM
It's a good thing I read on these boards.

When someone taught me to string my own rackets like 11 or 12 years ago I learned a simple one piece. Start at the center mains and then finish the mains of the short side en make a knot. Then do the rest of the mains and then move on to the first cross at the throat and move up to the top of the head where you make another knot.

Recently started stringing again on my new rackets and I learned here that it is better to start at the center mains then do 2 right mains and then 2 left mains etc. Makes a lot of sense also. But now I read that it is also bad to string crosses from the throat up?

I own a pure drive gt and I think the last main ends at the side of the throat so you have to do throat to head crosses when you string one piece? Does anybody know what the best/correct way is to string a pure drive (or how the pro's string it :)) I think, but I'm not sure, TW also says you have to skip mains nr 8 so I figured I finish the last mains downward to hole 9 (counted from the left/right center main) and I go on using hole nr 8 that I skipped to weave the first cross at the throat. Is this totally wrong?

uk_skippy
08-23-2009, 03:46 AM
^^^Re: PD GT, Babolat's string pattern for 1 piece is to string bottom up on the crosses. This is an acceptable time when stringing bottom up is ok as they, Babolat, have deemed it.

If you want to string the rqt 1 piece but top down then you'll have to use an Around The World (ATW) pattern. There are several ways of doing this and YULittle has a range of videos on YouTube showing them. I'd tell you my way, but no doubt someone will chirp in with their way and you may start to get more confused, so just check out the vids.

The way you describe the pattern is correct. You'll skip the 8th hole at the top and bottom and the outer mains will be put in the 9th hole top & bottom. Then string the crosses from the 8th hole.

Hope this helps

Regards

Paul

namartens
08-23-2009, 04:10 AM
Thanks for the info. I don't have any reason to string crosses from up to bottom but I got confused when OP and others said it was bad practice and frames could snap etc. Glad my one piece is a correct one for my frame.

I am still wondering if there are any advantages if you string a two piece instead of one, if you never hybrid. What do non-hybrid playing pro's use: a two piece or one piece stringjob?

Lakers4Life
08-23-2009, 04:15 AM
I recently strung a 18 x 20 racquet (Wilson Hammer 2.7), and forgot I was 18x20 pattern. :| Force of habit, I guess, coz I usually do 16x19 patterns. I ended up doing an ATW just to get the last mains on the side. Had I done the correct 1 piece pattern, I would have started the crosses at the throat.

BTW some Prince O3 racquets require starting crosses at the head, or else the warranty is voided.

Which brings up the question. Does the ATW have to be done at the end or can it be done between the mains and crosses?