PDA

View Full Version : quick rule question

joshburger
08-22-2009, 02:21 PM
a friend told me that it is legal to play an official usta, itf, or atp match without a shirt on, is this true?

reesespiecestennis
08-22-2009, 06:21 PM
Idk, but you would look like a complete ****** if you did lol.

mikeler
08-22-2009, 07:29 PM
Men or women?

joshburger
08-22-2009, 08:51 PM
men (10 char)

innoVAShaun
08-23-2009, 11:18 AM
TOTALLY TRUE!!! When I was a captain, USTA sent me the rules for play and its states proper tennis apparel must be worn.

WildVolley
08-23-2009, 04:38 PM
TOTALLY TRUE!!! When I was a captain, USTA sent me the rules for play and its states proper tennis apparel must be worn.

So going shirtless is considered "proper tennis apparel"?

woodrow1029
08-23-2009, 05:40 PM
It is not legal at ITF or ATP match. T-shirts are also not legal at ITF and ATP matches.

The dress code for ITF and ATP is in the rulebooks.

For USTA, I don't think there is anything in the rulebook against it; however, a lot of clubs have dress codes. If you are playing at a tournament in a club with a dress code, you would need to go by that.

Lakers4Life
08-23-2009, 05:58 PM

Is it just me or does anyone else dislike JM Del Porto's sleeveless shirts? The dude can play, but looks like he does not belong on a tennis court.

mcutilize
08-23-2009, 06:07 PM
Is it just me or does anyone else dislike JM Del Porto's sleeveless shirts? The dude can play, but looks like he does not belong on a tennis court.

i like them just not him

Lakers4Life
08-23-2009, 06:46 PM
He looks like he's ready for a pickup game at a local muni-tennis court or on the basketball court.

I'm not a big fan of JMDP, though he can play. I always seem to be rooting for his opponent, for some reason.

innoVAShaun
08-23-2009, 07:11 PM
Those sleevelesses are tight. But on JMDP, I think he needs to go up at least 2 sizes.

LPShanet
08-24-2009, 12:34 AM
It is not legal at ITF or ATP match. T-shirts are also not legal at ITF and ATP matches.

The dress code for ITF and ATP is in the rulebooks.

For USTA, I don't think there is anything in the rulebook against it; however, a lot of clubs have dress codes. If you are playing at a tournament in a club with a dress code, you would need to go by that.

+1 for Woodrow, who is correct as usual with respect to anything rules-related. In terms of USTA rules, some regional leagues provide a set of league rules, but there is no USTA-wide dress code. In almost all cases, the venue's dress code will supersede other factors (as is the case even in the ATP at venues such as Wimbledon...although technically Wimbledon isn't an ATP event). So you might get away with it in some parks, etc., but most private clubs and manned public facilities don't allow it.