PDA

View Full Version : weird racquet lengths?

vndesu
08-23-2009, 12:05 AM
basically I had a little bit of an experiment.
my goal was to make the racquets which had odd lengths act and play more solid.

people might say like why bother cutting it down when you bought the racquet that had the odd length.

2 racquets that i found which felt unstable to me were the youtek speed mp 16x19 and the tfight 325.

it was odd for me seeing the racquets which had a 27.2 and a 27.4 length.

so instead of sending the racquets to RPNY i thought, hey i have a power saw why not just measure and cut it down myself.

after cutting them down i felt like they were a lot more stable compared to their original lengths.

so im jw has any1 else felt sometimes that the racquet length can affect how stable it plays and that has any1 else cut down the length themselves rather than sending it to rpny?

Thanks

Topspin24
08-23-2009, 07:30 AM
Thats pretty cool. Where'd you cut and can you post a picture of each "finished" racket??

Alafter
08-23-2009, 07:54 AM
What a coincidence. I just cut down my Nblade OS myself 3 days ago with a manual metal saw. I nailed the butt cap back in with the simple hammer and nails. My first try too! I am so glad I didnt ruin the racquet.

Why did I cut it? Well, the main reason was that I tried choking up on court for 3 sessions (against 3 different groups) and I felt "Wow, this feels much better". So I drank a pint of Shochu (Korean alcohol) and started the process of removing buttcap, sawiing, and nailing the buttcap back in. I did it in my bathroom, because I was drunk and the balcony was too humid. Somehow I knew at worst the results will just be par, not negative. I mean, the damn thing was already extended--cutting it to 27 inches just makes it a Radical (haha).

Actual play results--I dont know if I am imagining it, but I think the shorter the racquet, the easier to aim for the sweet spot. Plus, the lighter swingweight helps.

Of course, I don't know if it will make that much diff. to me in the long run. After a while you get used to it and the benefit of the different feel is lost (we're human: the most powerful short term stimulant for improvement is obvious instantaneous difference). But still the racquet is not ruined and plays at minimal as good as normal Nblade OS.

Btw I failed to cut to match: one Nblade os is 26.8, the other is almost 27. It's somewhat of a fail. I mean, I constantly compared the length between my 2 nblades throughout the mod session. But the nailing killed everything (damn you stupid nails). When I first recapped the thing without nailing, I can see my buttcap touching the end of the handle. But after the nailing, there was a small gap. So if you use hammer and nails, take note and be careful folks!

But oh well. Like I am so sensitive I can tell that the 0.1 difference. What am I, princess and the pea? Of course not. I am a dull 32 years of salary man who plays inconsistent tennis. And I have corn on my feet. Why does that matter? It doesn't matter. It hurts.

And I like monkeys. Wait why did I type that?

NoNameZ
08-23-2009, 09:18 AM
could you give us a run through of how the rackets felt different? I couldnt get used to the extra .2 inches on the speed 16x19.

Alafter
08-23-2009, 09:59 AM
could you give us a run through of how the rackets felt different? I couldnt get used to the extra .2 inches on the speed 16x19.

1. Quicker because of less swingweight. Just felt lighter, basically.

2. More feel.

For you, try choking up about 0.5 inches and see how that feel. Gotta know how that feel first.

NoNameZ
08-23-2009, 10:18 AM
I've hit with 27.5 rackets before, and they were no big deal. the TF325 XL was no problem either.

vndesu
08-23-2009, 11:16 AM
yeah see ive tried the pdr+ and pd+ and was ok
but it was lengths like 27.4 or 27.2 which throws it way off.

for the speed mp. it is a lot more stable and more manuverable compared to its original length. i will ty to get p ics of the cut down racquets compared to other racquets like my k90 but i think my project has turned out pretty nice. espically with the cut down tfight325.

Fedace
08-23-2009, 11:19 AM
basically I had a little bit of an experiment.
my goal was to make the racquets which had odd lengths act and play more solid.

people might say like why bother cutting it down when you bought the racquet that had the odd length.

2 racquets that i found which felt unstable to me were the youtek speed mp 16x19 and the tfight 325.

it was odd for me seeing the racquets which had a 27.2 and a 27.4 length.

so instead of sending the racquets to RPNY i thought, hey i have a power saw why not just measure and cut it down myself.

after cutting them down i felt like they were a lot more stable compared to their original lengths.

so im jw has any1 else felt sometimes that the racquet length can affect how stable it plays and that has any1 else cut down the length themselves rather than sending it to rpny?

Thanks

NO power saw. YOu can damage the racket or even crack it or damage the graphite matrix. 27.2 inch is NOthing... You have to get to 27.4 or above to notice any difference..

vndesu
08-23-2009, 11:20 AM
NO power saw. YOu can damage the racket or even crack it or damage the graphite matrix. 27.2 inch is NOthing... You have to get to 27.4 or above to notice any difference..

maybe for you but some people can actually feel the difference and it turned out ok no damage what so ever

dr325i
08-29-2009, 02:04 PM
So, the extended length racket is the same as putting 0.2 or 0.4 0r 0.5 or and inch to the bottom of the handle. So, just chopping off (carefully) that extra length by taking the grip and buttcap off would make it just a standard 27" racket?
What about the balance? Would it be back, balanced to the normal length racket (assuming that there is a standard and extended version of the stick)?

Lefty78
08-29-2009, 02:09 PM
NO power saw. YOu can damage the racket or even crack it or damage the graphite matrix.

Depends what type of power saw.

A band saw is probably about at safe and accurate a tool as you can find for a project of this sort.

If you meant a jigsaw, yeah, you're right.

dr325i
08-29-2009, 02:14 PM
Depends what type of power saw.

A band saw is probably about at safe and accurate a tool as you can find for a project of this sort.

If you meant a jigsaw, yeah, you're right.

Hey A, check my comment above...
What do you think? Chopping off 0.5 -- would it make it play and feel the same as its standard length version racket?

Lefty78
08-29-2009, 02:24 PM
^ It may depend on the manufacturer, but my guess is yes. If you remove the butt cap of most racquets, you can clearly see that the mold was longer than 27", and the frames have been cut to length.

The only case in which this may not be true is if a company feels that they need to alter the layup or something to compensate for the extra length.