PDA

View Full Version : Boris Becker B-Xplosive

davent123
08-23-2009, 03:49 AM
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACVOLKL-BBXP16R.html

Anyone tried these strings yet?

nabbydian
09-01-2009, 04:53 AM
yup, i also wish to read some reviews before getting this reel..

layziaznboi
10-02-2009, 08:36 PM
I just bought the reel, and I'm trying the strings right now, but I'm putting on a new racquet, so my review may not be completely accurate, I will put them on another racquet tomorrow and I'll give you guys an update. But from what I hit today (strung at 62), I felt that there was a decent amount of power on it, I had pretty good control on it as well. For spin, I'm not really sure... I had pretty high topspins, but it might have been from the racquet because when I was trying to spin the ball on serves, there was almost no curve on them. I don't know, maybe someone can explain that to me? There has been no notching yet, and it feels like there is little tension loss as well.

layziaznboi
10-15-2009, 07:43 AM
Ok, so yeah, the topspins probably came from the racquet, since when I tried them on my regular racquet at 58 lbs, I could hardly spin the ball at all, on topspins or serves. I hit with moderate topspins. I did find I could get a lot of power out of these strings and my shots were landing fairly close to the baseline every shot. And then I actually tried using prince synthetic gut DF strung as the mains at 62 lbs and the b-xplosives at 55 lbs. I just thought it was worth a try because both strings are really cheap, but it turned out that I was getting more spin from this combination than I could from the strings seperately, I guess because the mains sprung back to place easier since the poly is one of the smoothest I've seen. And because of the becker strings, it felt like it had more power than just the syn gut by itself. The one thing sucks about this is that since the synthetic is the main and a stiff poly is the cross, it saws through like crazy, I think it'll pop in less than a week of play, and I don't pop synthetics for about 2-2 1/2 weeks. But since this hybrid only costs like 4 bucks I think it was well worth the performance

nabbydian
01-01-2010, 08:09 PM
thanks for the review Layziaznboi,

i also read abt the strings been too smooth for when trying to string it, at the moment with the Isospeed basline going at the same price it seems a bit risky to get this reel

Redvd8
01-01-2010, 08:19 PM
are the isospeed baselines any good?

brownbearfalling
01-02-2010, 02:01 AM
Isospeed baseline (i own the 16l gauge) is a decent all around string. I would have to say it has a VERY great VALUE. For the price the string is very playable. it is a little too "soft" for a poly in my opinion. I prefer crisp polys.

I am also considering purchasing the bb string. And i will compare asap. I've buying reels of strings for a good amount of time now, and for $40 (cheaper then most syn guts) the string must be very horrible to make it a rip off. So take that into consideration.

nabbydian
01-02-2010, 05:31 PM
Isospeed baseline (i own the 16l gauge) is a decent all around string. I would have to say it has a VERY great VALUE. For the price the string is very playable. it is a little too "soft" for a poly in my opinion. I prefer crisp polys.

I am also considering purchasing the bb string. And i will compare asap. I've buying reels of strings for a good amount of time now, and for $40 (cheaper then most syn guts) the string must be very horrible to make it a rip off. So take that into consideration.

hope to hear a review from you soon! i have not totally given up on the BB string, at that price you cant expect the sky but it has to have a decent playability - hopefully it has more pop then the Isospeed baseline

JT_2eighty
01-04-2010, 06:54 AM
thanks for the review Layziaznboi,

i also read abt the strings been too smooth for when trying to string it, at the moment with the Isospeed basline going at the same price it seems a bit risky to get this reel

I bought a reel of this bbxplosive as well because it was cheap. I've used it as a cross with gut mains, and because it is smooth as you say, it was great because the gut would slide back into place after every shot.

One of the guys I usually hit with remarked to me the day I was using this gut/bb hybrid, asking me if I was using spaghetti strings because I was getting ridiculous spin with this setup. I think the elastic gut sliding across the slick bb cross helped mimic a spaghetti string feel, or maybe I was just on that day because I always use heavy spin and he is a flat hitter.

Long story short, I've never used this as a full because I don't like full polys anymore, but as a cross, it's cheap and perfect for my gut mains because it's thicker and smooth which means it does not cut into the gut as much as other polys I've tried.