PDA

View Full Version : strings break easier on bigger head size?

kuhdlie
08-23-2009, 10:35 AM
everything else being equal, would the same string break quicker on a racquet with a bigger head size?

MarrratSafin
08-23-2009, 01:28 PM
Yes. 10 chars

puredriven
08-23-2009, 02:42 PM
yes; more stress on the strings cause they're longer on a bigger head. it's a bit like how it's harder to snap a shorter pencil in half than a long one

Steve Huff
08-23-2009, 05:00 PM
"Yes" is too simple of an answer, and not always true. A lot depends on the string pattern (density) and other factors. Plus, longer strings give room for more string stretch before the strings reach their maximum elasticity. So, for a really hard hitter, a smaller faced racket with short strings may actually break faster than that of a longer racket. Rackets such as the Head Radical OS normally don't have excessive string breakage. But, often, OS rackets are stiff and have open string patterns. They break strings faster. So, when someone says "all other things being equal", are they talking about the string pattern being equal or the string density being equal. If the string density is equal, I think the strings in an OS racket will last longer.

rj.laroza
08-23-2009, 10:31 PM
all this being equal... i would assume a bigger head size would make the string bed break faster.

the string on the mains and crosses are farther apart from that of a smaller head which may cause more friction on the string bed. its not as dense of a string bed then that of smaller head so the strings move around alot more.

i assume that friction can lead up to the string burning its self up and snapping.

acer4tennis
08-26-2009, 10:08 AM
The same player will break the same strings faster on oversize racket with open pattern, if he’ll be able to produce the same racket speed.

jxs653
08-26-2009, 09:57 PM
I agree with Steve Huff on this. It's not the head size but the density of the string pattern that matters.

Also if the phrase of "everything being equal" includes the same string tension (as well as string density), OS racquet will have longer string life since bigger head means lower string tension than smaller head.

Irvin
08-27-2009, 01:00 PM
"Yes" is too simple of an answer, and not always true. A lot depends on the string pattern (density) and other factors...

Yes you are correct, but everything else being equal (pattern, weight, balance, string, tension, etc.) the answer is yes.

Irvin