PDA

View Full Version : Question about Racquet/String Combo

oldnslo
08-23-2009, 10:20 AM
I just purchased a Fischer M Pro Number 1 98 and didn't know what string to put in it. Until recently, I haven't played tennis for 15+ years. I chose to put Prince Synthetic Gut Multifilament 17 Gold in it.

Can anyone tell me the playing characteristics of the string? If it doesn't work for me, I can cut it out and buy something else. It only cost $7.50.

I would appreciate any comments on the string I selected along with other options that I might want to look at. I want the string I use to have good durability and to help me spin the ball. I hit a kick serve and topspin forehand with a mixture of topspin and slice on the backhand side. I also try to get to the net as soon as possible, though I don't usually serve and volley.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

oldnslo
08-23-2009, 03:42 PM
bump bump bump

spyder49
08-23-2009, 04:59 PM
Is this the string you purchased?
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACPRINCE-S17.html

If so, you can click on the Read/Add Feedback link for lots of opinions.

spyder49
08-23-2009, 05:00 PM
Sorry, I think this is the one you meant:
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACPRINCE-SMF17.html

LPShanet
08-23-2009, 10:26 PM
I just purchased a Fischer M Pro Number 1 98 and didn't know what string to put in it. Until recently, I haven't played tennis for 15+ years. I chose to put Prince Synthetic Gut Multifilament 17 Gold in it.

Can anyone tell me the playing characteristics of the string? If it doesn't work for me, I can cut it out and buy something else. It only cost $7.50.

I would appreciate any comments on the string I selected along with other options that I might want to look at. I want the string I use to have good durability and to help me spin the ball. I hit a kick serve and topspin forehand with a mixture of topspin and slice on the backhand side. I also try to get to the net as soon as possible, though I don't usually serve and volley.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Whether it was luck or not, that was actually probably a pretty good string to start with. PSG Multi is on the soft side, has good feel, and is a pretty good value. It's in the same general category as many more expensive multifilament strings, such as Wilson NXT, Tecnifibre NRG, Gamma Livewire and TNT, etc. But it costs less than most. If you find it too soft or too powerful, you may want to try a stiffer string. If you love it, then stick with it. If you like it, but would appreciate even more of the qualities that it has, you might try any of the strings above, or even natural gut. And if you want more spin and durability you might look into poly hybrids. The best course of action is to play with it for a while, and then tell us what you liked and didn't like about it. Also, a little info on you, your level and your playing style would be helpful.

oldnslo
08-24-2009, 03:19 AM
Thanks for the information. I never had an NTRP rating, but I played college tennis about 25 years ago. Based on the rating information I have seen, I was probably a 5.0 at that time. I would guess I am playing at about a 3.5+ level right now.

LPShanet
08-24-2009, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the information. I never had an NTRP rating, but I played college tennis about 25 years ago. Based on the rating information I have seen, I was probably a 5.0 at that time. I would guess I am playing at about a 3.5+ level right now.

I would definitely start with multis or gut, then. Especially if you're not a string breaker, those will be easier on the arm, and provide more feel.

oldnslo
08-29-2009, 07:22 AM
I have played with it a couple of times. I had it strung at 62 lbs. The recommended tension is 45-65 lbs. I strung it on the high end because I wanted to maximize control. So far I love it. The first time I played with it, I felt like it lacked any power at all. The second time I was more used to it and I do love the control and spin I get with it.

If it has any weakness, it is the lack of power. I know part of that is the racquet I bought and the tension I strung it at. There is always a tradeoff between power and control in racquets and stringing, and I opted for more control. I will probably string at a little lower tension the next time, but I really like the string.