PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid advice needed - VS gut mains and WHAT? Luxilon for the crosses ?

ClubHoUno
08-23-2009, 11:48 AM
Hey,

I will receive my 4 new special Babolat produced Pure Storm Tour GT racquets very soon.

I will use a hybrid of gut and Luxilon in all 4 of them, but what Luxilon should I get for them :confused:

I've tried the Luxilon Alu BB Spin, and didn't fancy the edges on the string - didn't feel like it spun that much, so will try something else.

I' ve tried all Babolat VS Team 17 gut and this is a bit too powerfull for me and full Luxilon is a bit too rough on the arm, so will try Babolat VS mains and Luxilon crosses now.

I have 4 packs of Babolat VS Team 17 nat gut and 6 packs of the Babolat VS Touch 16 luying around and will use some of that, while the tennis shops that string my racquets will provide the Luxilon strings.

They have Luxilon Alu BB original 1.25mm , BB Alu Rough 1.25mm and BB Alu Fluoro 1.23mm in stock.

I plan on using the VS team 17 gauge in the mains in 2 of the 4 Bab PST GT's and VS Touch 16 gauge in the other 2 as the mains.

What Luxilon string will be best for the crosses in the 2 with VS Team 17 mains and what Luxilon will be best for the 2 with the VS Touch 16 mains ?

I consider VS Team 17xLuxilon Fluoro 1.23mm and VS Touch 16xLuxilon Rough 1.25mm - so I have 2 racquets for optimum control for dry weather and two with slightly thicker more durable strings for slightly wet weather/humid weather.

I also have 2 of the old PST NON GT with Multi strings for rainy weather - I try to avoid using gut strings in rainy weather for obvious reasons :lol:

I use Babolat Elastocross stringsavers in all my racquets and I get 10-12 hours out of a full nat gut string job, so I'm not a string breaker.

Please come up with advice and your opinion :D

tennisfreak15347
08-23-2009, 01:30 PM
have you tried luxilon original before? (BBO)

ClubHoUno
08-23-2009, 02:24 PM
have you tried luxilon original before? (BBO)

No. how is that string playing ?

Steve Huff
08-23-2009, 03:48 PM
10-12 hours out of gut-is that all? I'd consider you a moderately high stringbreaker. I'd really try something smoother than the rough, probably the BBO. I'd also string the crosses at 5# lower than the mains. You may have to go up on the mains a pound or 2, but I'd still do it that way (crosses 5# lower) versus stringing them both at your normal tension.

ClubHoUno
08-23-2009, 06:21 PM
10-12 hours out of gut-is that all? I'd consider you a moderately high stringbreaker. I'd really try something smoother than the rough, probably the BBO. I'd also string the crosses at 5# lower than the mains. You may have to go up on the mains a pound or 2, but I'd still do it that way (crosses 5# lower) versus stringing them both at your normal tension.

Thanks for your advice.

To be a bit more specific, I normally install 32 Babolat Elastocross stringsavers in my full nat gut jobs in a special pattern surrounding the sweetspot, which more than doubles the life of my nat gut strings. The stringsavers might tone down some of the pure nat gut feel, but it's not something that I notice, so I use the string savers to prolong the life of the nat gut strings.

I typically get 10-12 hours out of a pure Babolat VS team 17 gauge nat gut string job with string savers and 4-5 hours without the string savers.

I typically get 12-15 hours out of a pure Babolat VS Touch 16 gauge nat gut string job with string savers and 5-6 hours without the use of string savers.

I've had some full nat gut jobs last me 20 hours and others last me 7-8 hours with string savers, but my average is 10-12 hours for VS team 17 and 12-15 hours with VS Touch 16.

I love the feeling of a pure natural gut string job, but even though I get some spin, I still hit with more power, than I need - thus often having trouble keeping the ball inside the line. I hope the use of a Luxilon on the cross string will make up for that.

Normally I string gut mains @ 28 kg (equivalent to 62 lbs) and gut crosses @ 26 kg (equivalent to 58 lbs)
When I used Luxilon Alu BB Spin I strung that @ 56 in the mains (back then I had the Lux in the mains and Nat gut in the crosses)

You recommend going down 5 lbs with the Luxilon in the crosses, so I should string the Luxilon @ 57 lbs correct ?

I heard the Lux BB Alu Rough should be a great string for spin, how does the Rough play comparted to the BB original ?

I plan on using the arm friendly softer Luxilon Fluore 1.23 mm in a hybrid with Babolat VS Team 17 gauge 1.25mm in 2 of my PST GT's - just to see how that will play.

How do you think a hybrid of VS Team 17 1.25mm @ 62 lbs in the mains and Luxilon BB Alu Fluore 16L 1.23mm @ 57 lbs in the crosses would play ?

I may plan to hybrid the Lux Rough 16 in the crosses with the VS Touch 16 gauge in the mains in my two other PST GT's - should I try the BB Alu Power or the BB original here instead, what would the differences be here ?

smack that
08-23-2009, 08:06 PM
Alu ruff
10 char

ClubHoUno
08-24-2009, 11:30 PM
Any one else with opinions?

sman789
10-24-2009, 10:58 AM
I know its been a long time since you asked but I used to use Luxilon but have moved on to Pro Hurricane Tour 17 in my crosses with vs gut 16 mains. It's an amazing combo and if you can try it, do it!

Hotrocks
10-24-2009, 07:04 PM
Hey,

I will receive my 4 new special Babolat produced Pure Storm Tour GT racquets very soon.

I will use a hybrid of gut and Luxilon in all 4 of them, but what Luxilon should I get for them :confused:

I've tried the Luxilon Alu BB Spin, and didn't fancy the edges on the string - didn't feel like it spun that much, so will try something else.

I' ve tried all Babolat VS Team 17 gut and this is a bit too powerfull for me and full Luxilon is a bit too rough on the arm, so will try Babolat VS mains and Luxilon crosses now.

I have 4 packs of Babolat VS Team 17 nat gut and 6 packs of the Babolat VS Touch 16 luying around and will use some of that, while the tennis shops that string my racquets will provide the Luxilon strings.

They have Luxilon Alu BB original 1.25mm , BB Alu Rough 1.25mm and BB Alu Fluoro 1.23mm in stock.

I plan on using the VS team 17 gauge in the mains in 2 of the 4 Bab PST GT's and VS Touch 16 gauge in the other 2 as the mains.

What Luxilon string will be best for the crosses in the 2 with VS Team 17 mains and what Luxilon will be best for the 2 with the VS Touch 16 mains ?

I consider VS Team 17xLuxilon Fluoro 1.23mm and VS Touch 16xLuxilon Rough 1.25mm - so I have 2 racquets for optimum control for dry weather and two with slightly thicker more durable strings for slightly wet weather/humid weather.

I also have 2 of the old PST NON GT with Multi strings for rainy weather - I try to avoid using gut strings in rainy weather for obvious reasons :lol:

I use Babolat Elastocross stringsavers in all my racquets and I get 10-12 hours out of a full nat gut string job, so I'm not a string breaker.

Please come up with advice and your opinion :D

Big Banger Alu/Mains & Gut on the crosses. Great power, spin & feel!

ClubHoUno
10-24-2009, 07:20 PM
Yeahhhh.... A LOT has happened since late August for me :)

I've completely skipped using Luxilon since a lot of new 4.th generation CoPoly have emerged and for me simply outperforms Luxilon Aly BB POWER and ROUGH and I can only see 2 reasons, why Atp Tour Pro's still use Luxilon by now:

1. They are used to using this string by now - when Luilon became BIG 3-4 years ago, the string was a revolution - not so anymore. Same reason Nadal still uses an old boardy poor performing Babolat Poly string. Changing strings is almost like changing racquets for a pro - not something many players do on a frequent basis.
2. Luxilon is great up until the 2 hours mark, after that it's like a garbage string. Pro players get them for free and don't use it for more than max 2 hours - d'you ever wonder why that is so ;)

Now I use Signum Pro Hyperion/Tornado, Tecnifibre Black Code and MSV FOCUS HEX CoPoly strings. The Luxilon is out, and you won't see any Luxilon in my racquet before they launch some new and updated CoPoly strings with better tension stability. There are SO many great quality strings coming from Germany at the moment, I don't see why I should support a Belgium company with outdated poly strings, just because half the Atp Tous uses them.
As I say, the Pro players get the for free and don't use the same string for more than 2 hours top and they are accustomed to how the Luxilon string performs just like Nadal loves the performance of a cheap poor and old outdated Babolat poly string - he knows it in and out and probably will not change, only if he continues to play poorly will he look at what he can do to play better, and this may indicate changing to a newer string with higher performance.

parasailing
10-25-2009, 10:26 AM
In a hybrid setup of gut mains and copoly crosses, what happens after a few hours of play? Will the copoly feel boardy and how will this affect the playability after the first few hours?

I was hoping to use hybrid to cut down on the cost of using a full gut setup and add control.