PDA

View Full Version : How should I string my Big Bubba?

plum
08-23-2009, 03:51 PM
I'd say I am a solid 3.0 but would like to think in terms of 4.0 on a good day. We all know this rating changes by the second. Here's the situation: right now, probably my favorite racquet is my Fischer M speed No 1 105. But even with this racquet, especailly on serve, I find that I hit off-center enough to cause elbow (back of elbow) tension. I have to assume that a large sweet spot like big bubba would not rattle my elbow nearly as much on serve or otherwise. So, the million dollar question, and don't tell me fishing line, is how do I string this thing to still allow me to develop as a player-- that is, swing through the ball, and bunt back serves without them going long. Can I possibly go Ashway Crossfire on this racquet. What would you recommend? Thanks... Hybrids accepted, Please be tension specific... And all you small racquet ego heads stay out of this. I am just trying to get a good workout, enjoy the game, and of course, improve my game, my swing, my serve etc...

schenkelini
08-23-2009, 04:34 PM
I have an Ipex 2.0 which is essentially a Big Bubba. I think if you strung it to where you would be able to keep it in the court that you would have far more TE, shoulder, etc problems than you do now. I would love to get rid of mine, but no one wants it. The other thing that I noticed is that if you hit off center it turns in your hand and causes a miss hit. So the big sweet spot is not of much use.

meowmix
08-23-2009, 06:27 PM
You need something that big? :)

Just kidding. What string would I recommend? Just synthetic gut. I'm going to guess that you don't have a stringer, so I'll recommend prince synthetic gut duraflex. And given the hugeness of the racket, I'll recommend 66 pounds. This is a relatively random tension, but it's based off of what I used to string my 110's on. Keep in mind that tension is really hard to recommend, as it's REALLY a personal thing. I tend to string on the high end of things.

Now, string advice aside. You REALLY don't want to be using something that light and that stiff. If there's anything worse for your elbow than mishitting, it's mishitting using a light, stiff racket. The pain that you described is tennis elbow, pure and simple. It comes from a combination of factors: playing too much tennis, using too stiff a racket, using too stiff a string, stringing with too high a tension, and mishitting. You REALLY want to take a look at your technique (see why you're mishitting, and correct that ASAP), your string (are you stringing with polyester? If so, switch to a soft multi immediately), how much you're playing (don't over do it), and looking at how high of a tension you string your rackets at (dropping two pounds is recommended).

furyoku_tennis
08-23-2009, 09:18 PM
prince synthetic gut duraflex is definitely one of the easier options if you don't have your own stringing machine. however, if you happen to have one, then i'd recommend gosen og micro or forten competition nylons if you're looking for something softer.

in terms of tension, what have you been stringing it at? its usually better to work off of mid tension and then increase or decrease as necessary. if you're looking for more control then i'd increase the tension a few pounds at a time. its a bit time consuming, but once you find the right setup, you won't have to worry about it.

Alafter
08-23-2009, 11:04 PM
I would say dont think too much about anything else (developing strokes, etc.) in selecting this next string. Just focus on comfort--this should be your only objective.

Dunlop max comfort, 17 gauge, and string at lowest tension possible.

I am playing with Nblade OS strung at 37 lbs. But it's a rather weird experiment. I can still play with my normal swings.

Maybe you can try about 55 lbs on the bubba.

I have observed that the good players I know can probably pick up anything and play the game recreationally without altering their forms. Since we are at that recreational level, we should be able to do it too, even if we are holding a Big Bubba strung at lowest tension.

Rhinosaur
08-24-2009, 06:20 AM
I'm a fan of Gamma Asterisk Spin, but no matter the string you put in it, I'd go with a high tension to tame some of that racket power, give you some accuracy in a not-so-accurate racket.

MethodTennis
08-24-2009, 09:49 AM
with ashway kevlar at 40lbs and dont forget to lead the uper hoop with about 30grms