PDA

View Full Version : How should I string my Big Bubba...(don't have one yet)..

plum
08-23-2009, 04:52 PM
I'd say I am a solid 3.0 but would like to think in terms of 4.0 on a good day. We all know this rating changes by the second. Here's the situation: right now, probably my favorite racquet is my Fischer M speed No 1 105. But even with this racquet, especailly on serve, I find that I hit off-center enough to cause elbow (back of elbow) tension. I have to assume that a large sweet spot like big bubba would not rattle my elbow nearly as much on serve or otherwise. So, the million dollar question, and don't tell me fishing line, is how do I string this thing to still allow me to develop as a player-- that is, swing through the ball, and bunt back serves without them going long. Can I possibly go Ashway Crossfire on this racquet. What would you recommend? Thanks... Hybrids accepted, Please be tension specific... And all you small racquet ego heads stay out of this. I am just trying to get a good workout, enjoy the game, and of course, improve my game, my swing, my serve etc...

pvaudio
08-23-2009, 08:22 PM
I'll ask a different question: what exactly are you looking for as development? If you're using such a large game improvement frame, then I don't think the string you're using will have as much of an impact. The way you string the frame honestly will not make too much of a difference considering what frame it is. So again I'll ask, what exactly are you looking for from the string job in regards to your game, because you pretty much have as good as it gets as far as sweet spot and low swing weight.

120mphBodyServe
08-23-2009, 08:33 PM
Do not buy a Big Bubba.

goran_ace
08-24-2009, 08:46 AM
But even with this racquet, especailly on serve, I find that I hit off-center enough to cause elbow (back of elbow) tension. I have to assume that a large sweet spot like big bubba would not rattle my elbow nearly as much on serve or otherwise.

The solution to the problem is not finding a racket with a larger sweetspot. Better concentration and practice is what you need so you find the sweet spot on your racket more often. Also try out a multifilament string like NXT.

coloskier
08-24-2009, 11:53 AM
20 lb test Berkeley TriLine, for all the good it will do you if using a Big Bubba.:)

puredriven
08-24-2009, 08:20 PM
Do not buy a Big Bubba.

i'll be honest here: when i read the title i thought the OP was getting a big bubba for the kicks and giggles, and i was about to suggest a full bed of VS Team 18g strung at 35 lbs just to see what would happen

Il Mostro
08-24-2009, 08:33 PM
Do not buy a Big Bubba.

I agree. I have two in my collection. I have played one of them with NXT OS 16g. It is a fun stick to whip out after 4 or 5 hours of play (when I am totally gassed). But nothing more. And there is not too much you can do IMO to change the character of this racquet. You will *never* make it into a player/tweener stick with string and tension manipulation. It is more "normal" in feel that some of the other morbidly obese racquets, but that must be take within context. Have *fun* with it nonetheless if you do buy one.