PDA

View Full Version : Redondo vs PST vs Microgel radical pro

tenniscool
08-23-2009, 07:37 PM
Which one?!!? I dont think i'll be able to demo. So I need opinions!
The redondo has been catching my eye lately!

martinrousev
08-24-2009, 01:29 AM
I haven't tried the other two but you won't be disappointed with the Redondo. I was told that PST is underpowered compared to Redondo.

tenniscool
08-24-2009, 09:10 AM
man......I think im going to get the redondo mid. It just looks so sexy
but hows the spin potential on the mid?

movdqa
08-24-2009, 10:32 AM
It's hard to imagine a racquet with less power than the Redondo.

The spin potential on the mid isn't great. It seems to me that it is really great for hitting flat shots and your footwork and preparation have to be very good to use it. I think that you'll have to do the usual things (thin strings) to get better spin potential out of the Redondo.

tenniscool
08-24-2009, 11:17 AM
really? I've been reading that the mid gives a lot of spin :O~!

movdqa
08-24-2009, 11:23 AM
> I've been reading that the mid gives a lot of spin

I used it for about 18 months and then went to the K90. Yes, you can generate spin with it but I've found that open string pattern racquets and larger headsize racquets are far better at generating spin. The other racquets that I've used are the PDR and the KPS88. The K90, KPS88 and PDR are all spin monsters compared to the Redondo.

There is a huge Redondo thread on this forum and I think that you'll find that there are far more comments complaining about spin potential than there are that think that it generates a lot of spin.

rasajadad
08-24-2009, 12:51 PM
Movdqa is correct. The mid is not a spin racquet. For that matter, neither is the mid plus. I'm not saying I don't love them, just that there are frames and string patterns more conducive to topspin. On the other hand, I do get a heck of a lot of underspin on a slice backhand.

anirut
08-24-2009, 05:41 PM
With the Redondo, you get more of a "penetrative" topspin than a loopy one. Yes, it's low powered, but demo it anyhow, and don't forget to be at the other end too, receiving balls from the Redondo ... and you could be surprised, provided your hitting partner can play a mid-size well enough.

I've always thought the Redondo was underpowered until I played another Redondo player. It was a battle of Redondo's and, heck, I never knew the balls hit to me with a Redondo could be so heavy.

tenniscool
08-24-2009, 07:40 PM
i think i'm sold on the redondo. Sounds like the stick jesus wields!

Keifers
08-25-2009, 05:03 PM
A friend of mine plays with big topspin on both sides and he's been quite happy with his Redondo 93. He strings it with Gosen Micro 17 @ 55. He says he likes being able to swing big with it and still have the ball go in.

While I'm sure a Redondo with a 16X19 string pattern would offer more spin potential, he does fine with his, proving, I guess, that the generation of spin has a whole lot to do with technique.

movdqa
08-25-2009, 06:12 PM
> While I'm sure a Redondo with a 16X19 string pattern
> would offer more spin potential, he does fine with his,
> proving, I guess, that the generation of spin has a whole
> lot to do with technique.

Anecdotal evidence really only tells you how things work for one person. If you take the collective evidence of users in the massive Redondo thread, you'll find that the typical player here that has tried the Redondo doesn't consider it a spin monster.

I've used the K90, KPS88 and PDR. These all generate far more spin than the Redondo. Yes, I understand that I have to set in motion a chain of events to generate the spin but it is easier with these other racquets.

One other aspect on spin generation with the Redondo: you frequently have to put a fair amount of effort in imparting forward acceleration on the ball which decreases the amount of upward acceleration to generate spin. At least that's what I've found with the Redondo stock. It's a lot easier to get the pace that you want with relatively less effort from stiffer frames meaning that you can divert more of your efforts towards spin generation.

There was one poster that liked the spin potential of the Redondo but had added a moderate amount of lead to the racquet. This would mean that he wouldn't have to work as hard with forward motion and could put more effort into spin generation.

I prefer playing with racquets in stock mode these days and do like letting the racquet do more of the work for me.

skyzoo
08-25-2009, 06:14 PM

tenniscool
08-25-2009, 07:15 PM
eh now im starting to lean towards the radical pro because of the 16x19

Keifers
08-26-2009, 12:13 AM
> While I'm sure a Redondo with a 16X19 string pattern
> would offer more spin potential, he does fine with his,
> proving, I guess, that the generation of spin has a whole
> lot to do with technique.

Anecdotal evidence really only tells you how things work for one person. If you take the collective evidence of users in the massive Redondo thread, you'll find that the typical player here that has tried the Redondo doesn't consider it a spin monster.

I've used the K90, KPS88 and PDR. These all generate far more spin than the Redondo. Yes, I understand that I have to set in motion a chain of events to generate the spin but it is easier with these other racquets.

One other aspect on spin generation with the Redondo: you frequently have to put a fair amount of effort in imparting forward acceleration on the ball which decreases the amount of upward acceleration to generate spin. At least that's what I've found with the Redondo stock. It's a lot easier to get the pace that you want with relatively less effort from stiffer frames meaning that you can divert more of your efforts towards spin generation.

There was one poster that liked the spin potential of the Redondo but had added a moderate amount of lead to the racquet. This would mean that he wouldn't have to work as hard with forward motion and could put more effort into spin generation.

I prefer playing with racquets in stock mode these days and do like letting the racquet do more of the work for me.
Yes, that's right... I reported one person's experience. And made no claims whatsoever that the Redondo is a spin monster. What's your beef? Also, iirc, the majority of people who have posted on these boards about spin have expressed the opinion that technique is a huge part, if not the major part, of producing spin.

To the OP: as always, caveat emptor. Demoing is always highly recommended. If you can't demo, you can go with the majority... or with minority experiences... or with any other decision-making methodology you'd care to employ.

Who knows? When all is said and done, you might conclude that the Redondo gives you other advantages that far outweigh the reduced-but-not-zero spin potential.

Good luck with your selection. Have fun doing it. :)