PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose a new racquet

10s4fun
08-23-2009, 06:51 PM
Looking for a new 18 mains racquet. Don't want it over 11.3 strung.

Out of these four, what would be the best choice? Why? What are the pluses and minuses of these?

Wilson Kblade 98
Head Liquidmetal MP
Prince EXO3 Rebel Team 95
Wilson K Factor KSix-One Team

goldenhawktennis
08-23-2009, 07:11 PM
kb98 ftw

...good control, pop, and access to spin despite the dense string pattern.

ckledzepplin
08-23-2009, 07:14 PM
abunch of guys on my high school team have the k61 team and they love the racquet

PatrickB
08-23-2009, 07:26 PM
You might look into the Dunlop Aerogel 4d300 tour in that range, too.

tenniscool
08-23-2009, 07:27 PM
LM radical!!

10s4fun
08-23-2009, 08:12 PM
Should also add... the only one I demo'd so far was the kblade98. I had the demo racquet put on the machine that tests swingweight and it showed 331. I liked the heavier swingweight.

LPShanet
08-23-2009, 10:10 PM

Out of these four, what would be the best choice? Why? What are the pluses and minuses of these?

Wilson Kblade 98
Head Liquidmetal MP

You didn't say WHICH Head Liquidmetal. There was a whole line of them. You also didn't tell us anything about your game style, your size, your level, etc.

furyoku_tennis
08-23-2009, 10:21 PM
based on your list. go with the head liquidmetal radical mp. its cheap and good.

10s4fun
08-24-2009, 06:23 AM
You didn't say WHICH Head Liquidmetal. There was a whole line of them.

Head LM Radical MP

You also didn't tell us anything about your game style, your size, your level, etc.

game style - power game, so need a control racquet. Working on getting more touch. All court player, play mostly doubles, but starting to also play a lot of singles

your size - female, 5'2", 110

your level - strong 4.0

origmarm
08-24-2009, 06:32 AM
I would say either the Head Liquidmetal Rad or the K-Factor Six-One. Both are very versatile racquets that have a lot to offer initially but are sufficiently controlled to allow you to carry on using them as you move up. The K98 is good also but not as versatile I think.

What was your old racquet if you don't mind me asking? A lot of the time people are "pro-staff people" or "radical people". Both families of racquets have a long and distinguished history but fundamentally different feels.

10s4fun
08-24-2009, 07:25 AM
I would say either the Head Liquidmetal Rad or the K-Factor Six-One. Both are very versatile racquets that have a lot to offer initially but are sufficiently controlled to allow you to carry on using them as you move up. The K98 is good also but not as versatile I think.

What was your old racquet if you don't mind me asking? A lot of the time people are "pro-staff people" or "radical people". Both families of racquets have a long and distinguished history but fundamentally different feels.

I am not attached to any particular brand. Old racquet was a Volkl. Before that Pro Kennex, PDP, Wilson (wood racquet). As you can see, I keep my racquets for a very long time.

What would you say makes the Head LM Rad and K-Factor Six-One more versatile than the K98?

Also you said that pro-staff and radical racquets have different feels. How are they different? I don't really know what kinds of "feels" there are. Maybe that can be determined by the brands of racquets I've used.

LPShanet
08-24-2009, 09:29 PM
Head LM Radical MP

game style - power game, so need a control racquet. Working on getting more touch. All court player, play mostly doubles, but starting to also play a lot of singles

your size - female, 5'2", 110

your level - strong 4.0

Wow, a 5'2" female power player...I like it! ;) All of the racquets you mentioned are solid frames. You might also look at some of the newer Head frames. I think the MG and YouTek series are at least as good as the LMs. But the real thing is you need to demo all of them. There's no right answer, just what feels good to you. If you're a 4.0, you should be able to handle any of the sticks you mentioned.

origmarm
08-25-2009, 12:25 AM
What would you say makes the Head LM Rad and K-Factor Six-One more versatile than the K98?

Well it's very subjective but in short I've found them to be good all rounders.

Both the LM and the K seem to respond well whether you are hitting hard and fast or touch shots. Additionally I found them both good at the net and at the back. Neither really shines at one thing but they are good in all areas.

The K98 by contrast felt better hitting groundstrokes to me but when I turned up the power the frame vibrated and felt unstable. On touch shots and volleys I felt it lacked feel, just no "spring" to it. It seemed to respond very well in the middle of the range but not at the ends if that makes sense. That and the range of players I see playing with the K and the LM make me think that it suits a variety of players and that I'm likely not alone in this opinion.

Hopefully others on the board will give you their thoughts also as I'm sure there are a lot of K98 fans out there too. The K-Blade Tour (93) was just terrible however, very plasticky feel to it, felt dead and flexed out on the harder hits. Felt like a bit of a toy.

Also you said that pro-staff and radical racquets have different feels. How are they different? I don't really know what kinds of "feels" there are. Maybe that can be determined by the brands of racquets I've used.

Again it's hard to describe but Head and Wilson racquets have always felt different in terms of the sensation on ball impact. They have converged to a degree over the years but it's still there. It's simply a personal preference though as to what you like more than anything significant. I would say the K is closer to the Volkl and Pro Kennex racquets I've played with though (limited though, demos and borrowing other people's).

10s4fun
08-27-2009, 08:50 AM
Thanks Everyone!

I can't demo the LM Rad locally so I ordered some demos from TW. It was the same price whether I demo'd 1 or for 4 so I am getting 4; LM Rads (MP & OS), Kblade Team MP, & Ksix-one team. I figured I may as well try both Rads.

I've already been demoing the kblade 98 and can demo the Rebel team locally. Funny how not one person recommended the prince racquet or even mentioned it. Is it just not a good racquet?

I've already tried the newer head Youtek and the MG and didn't like either one of them. I found them great for short angle and touch shots, but not for baseline shots. Everyone I'm reading that talks well about these racquets leads them up, which I can't do because they become too heavy for me.

Thank you for the suggestion, but I looked at the Dunlop Aerogel 4d300 tour and although it is in the same range as the racquets I am looking at, it has a low swingweight.

I was told the racquets I had picked are not arm friendly racquets, so I'm also demoing the LM Rad OS and KBlade Team.

Out of all of these racquets there will hopefully be one that stands out to me.

10s4fun
08-27-2009, 11:03 AM
Which has a bigger sweetspot, LM Rad or Kblade 98?

guille_vilas
08-27-2009, 11:17 AM

Wilson Kblade 98
Head Liquidmetal MP

Dont forget about Roddick Pure Drive GT.

JackB1
08-27-2009, 11:18 AM
Which has a bigger sweetspot, LM Rad or Kblade 98?

Pretty similar. Maybe the KBlade. The KBlade probably has a touch more power too.

10s4fun
08-28-2009, 07:38 AM
Dont forget about Roddick Pure Drive GT.

Thanks, but that is no where near my specs.

furyoku_tennis
08-28-2009, 08:48 AM
the liquidmetal radical gives you the most options. you can cap it later on and lead it up to play like the radical tour. it has plenty of room for growth and development. it plays pretty well too.

10s4fun
08-31-2009, 12:18 PM
the liquidmetal radical gives you the most options. you can cap it later on and lead it up to play like the radical tour. it has plenty of room for growth and development. it plays pretty well too.

What does capping do for the racquet?

Although I read how everyone leads up their racquets, I won't be leading up because then the racquet gets too heavy for me. These racquet weights are about what I can handle. I played with the regular Ksix-one 95 and although I liked the racquet, I was exhausted by the third set.

I'm looking for a racquet that's fits me now and also allows some growth, but not one that I need to grow into. As J011yRoger says in his racquet selection guide, I need to buy the shorts not do the situps. lol

Yes I will get better, but I've been playing a long time so I'm not going to be performing miracles. I just don't have that kind of time to put into it. lol

It's been raining all week so hopefully I will hit the court soon with these racquets.

10s4fun
08-31-2009, 12:24 PM
I received the demos and can't wait to try the racquets.

Demos:
Wilson Kblade 98
Head Liquidmetal Radical MP
Wilson ksix-one Team
Head Liquidmetal OS
Wilson kblade Team

Got the LM OS and Kblade Team because I was told the other racquets are not great for the arm. I will try them all.

I still need to get the Prince Rebel Team 95. Although not one person has mentioned this racquet so I'm not sure it's even worth demoing.

10s4fun
08-31-2009, 08:51 PM
I was able to try the racquets tonight. Here are my initial thoughts.

The Wilson kblade Team and Head LM Radical OS are out. I'm going to stick to a mid-plus.

Wilson ksix-one team - I need to try it again. It just seems so light.

Head LM Radical MP - This seemed very heavy. Like I was holding a lead weight.
Not sure why. My friend also played with it and thought it felt just like the kblade 98.

Wilson kblade 98 - felt good. I've played with this a few times already.

I'm going to try the LM Radical MP, Kblade 98, and ksix-one team again.

LPShanet
08-31-2009, 09:58 PM
What does capping do for the racquet?

Although I read how everyone leads up their racquets, I won't be leading up because then the racquet gets too heavy for me. These racquet weights are about what I can handle. I played with the regular Ksix-one 95 and although I liked the racquet, I was exhausted by the third set.

Capping adds a little weight to the head, and provides added string protection. It also creates a minor pain in the butt for whoever strings your racquets:)

I wouldn't dismiss lead entirely. If there's a reason to do it, you may find that you can add a bit to specific spots without making the racquet swing that much heavier. For instance, a small amount at 3 and 9 can add stability without too much added weight. And adding even a moderate amount to the handle can add mass without changing how heavy it swings. But first, I'd say find a racquet whose feel you like. BTW, any reason you eliminated the EXO?

Good luck.

Meaghan
09-01-2009, 04:16 AM
I would suggest the k98, The LM is a good racket but needs lead to stablise it.

I dont see why the speedport pro white is not on your list, ok its slightly heavier and a little more powerful but there is so much more spin than the other rackets. Easy all round racket. More HL so feels just as light and not so demanding.

Im not so sure about team rackets, The heavy Rebel is a completely different racket, as is the 6.1 i used to play with. I enjoyed the k98.... you say your a power player but Im 6'3" 180lbs and I found it rather underpowered. Thats why I think the Prince Speedport whites. Does it have to be 18 mains cos the regular white comes in at your weight spec as does the ozone tour. All these I would look at before the Team rackets and I think would be better suited for your size who needs hard topspin to get it up over the net and deep on a consistent basis without tiring.

10s4fun
09-01-2009, 12:55 PM
Capping adds a little weight to the head, and provides added string protection. It also creates a minor pain in the butt for whoever strings your racquets:)
Good to know about the weight and string protection. Yikes! A lot of the time I string my own racquets.

I wouldn't dismiss lead entirely. If there's a reason to do it, you may find that you can add a bit to specific spots without making the racquet swing that much heavier. For instance, a small amount at 3 and 9 can add stability without too much added weight. And adding even a moderate amount to the handle can add mass without changing how heavy it swings.
I'm not dismissing it. My last racquet is all leaded up. I used it "as is" for a long time and then as my game changed I tweaked and tweaked and tweaked until I could tweak no more and it was time for a new racquet. But it was light enough for me to do different setups.

When buying my new racquet I want it to be what I need right now and the near future. My game will get better, but not so much where I will have to completely change racquets like I am now. If needed, I can always add small amounts of lead tape without adding too much weight to the racquet. I just meant I won't be leading up (adding a lot of lead tape). I'm buying a heavier racquet so tweaking will be minimal.

But first, I'd say find a racquet whose feel you like.
Thank you. I am trying to find this.

BTW, any reason you eliminated the EXO?
I haven't eliminated it yet. I just don't have the demo of it yet. I hit with the Rebel 95 team in a store and it felt light. I still need to demo it though. Weird that not one person has said anything good or bad about it.

furyoku_tennis
09-01-2009, 01:02 PM
the exo rebel IMO is one of those love/hate racquets. a lot of people switched to it when it came out, but you don't really hear as much about them now. personally i thought the rebel was good, but still preferred the prestige over it. a bit too muted for my taste.

10s4fun
09-01-2009, 01:18 PM
I would suggest the k98, The LM is a good racket but needs lead to stablise it.
I liked the k98. The LM felt like a lead weight to me. It just didn't feel right.

I dont see why the speedport pro white is not on your list, ok its slightly heavier and a little more powerful but there is so much more spin than the other rackets. Easy all round racket. More HL so feels just as light and not so demanding.
I actually tried this racquet a while ago. I liked it, but it made me tired so I need something lighter. I also tried the regular white and didn't like that one.

Im not so sure about team rackets, The heavy Rebel is a completely different racket, as is the 6.1 i used to play with. I enjoyed the k98.... you say your a power player but Im 6'3" 180lbs and I found it rather underpowered. Thats why I think the Prince Speedport whites. Does it have to be 18 mains cos the regular white comes in at your weight spec as does the ozone tour. All these I would look at before the Team rackets and I think would be better suited for your size who needs hard topspin to get it up over the net and deep on a consistent basis without tiring.
I'm not so sure about the team racquets either. They just seem so light. I like to feel my racquet. I also like the k98. I'm only 5'2", 110lbs and I don't find it underpowered and it is strung pretty tight at 59. I don't have much topspin; I have always been a flat hitter. Surprisingly though, it seems when I'm hitting with the k98 I have topspin. A few players have already mentioned it to me. I have no idea why.

I haven't played more than 2 sets of singles with the k98 though so I don't know if it would actually tire me after that. I have played more than 2 sets of doubles with it.

I seem to have more control with 18 mains.

I'm wondering if I took the ksix-one team or the rebel 95 team and added a little bit of weight how they would play.

10s4fun
09-02-2009, 10:11 AM
A few more questions:

1. Would the LM Radical in Sports Authority be different from the ones TW carries? The demo from TW feels like a lead weight and when I was in SA I picked one up, started to swing it and it felt fine. Why would that be?

2. Do you think it's better to try and find the perfect racquet that does not have to be tweaked or to find one that can be perfect with some tweaking?

3. Volkl PB 10 Light - what about this racquet. I haven't tried it yet, but I was looking at the specs on TW. It has a lower stiffness which is more arm friendly. It weighs in at 10.9 though so I would have to add weight and increase swingweight. Adding the weight should take care of both though. (Hence, why I asked question 2.)

MethodTennis
09-02-2009, 11:33 AM
all poll would ahve been nice ide say the prince

furyoku_tennis
09-02-2009, 11:43 AM
A few more questions:

1. Would the LM Radical in Sports Authority be different from the ones TW carries? The demo from TW feels like a lead weight and when I was in SA I picked one up, started to swing it and it felt fine. Why would that be?

2. Do you think it's better to try and find the perfect racquet that does not have to be tweaked or to find one that can be perfect with some tweaking?

3. Volkl PB 10 Light - what about this racquet. I haven't tried it yet, but I was looking at the specs on TW. It has a lower stiffness which is more arm friendly. It weighs in at 10.9 though so I would have to add weight and increase swingweight. Adding the weight should take care of both though. (Hence, why I asked question 2.)

1. Was the liquidmetal at SA strung? If it's not then there's the difference. If it was then you should go through a couple of them. Quality control might not be the best, so you'll want to find something that's relatively on spec.

2. You can try to find the perfect racquet, but you're going to have to tweak it at some point in some way. No racquet has ever given any player everything they needed, so there's always a need/want to tweak a racquet through technique, string type, tension, things like that.

3. The PB10 Light is an okay racquet, but personally I found the Radical to play much better. The 10 was a bit too light. However, if you're looking to customize it, then there's is quite a bit of potential there.

10s4fun
09-02-2009, 06:58 PM
1. Was the liquidmetal at SA strung? If it's not then there's the difference. If it was then you should go through a couple of them. Quality control might not be the best, so you'll want to find something that's relatively on spec.
Yes, it was strung, but it was a different grip size. The demo I have is 4 3/8 and the one I held at SA was a 4 1/4.

2. You can try to find the perfect racquet, but you're going to have to tweak it at some point in some way. No racquet has ever given any player everything they needed, so there's always a need/want to tweak a racquet through technique, string type, tension, things like that.
Thanks. I don't mind tweaking strings. I meant tweaking the frame of the racquet (with lead tape). Meaning would it be better to find the exact frame you want (weight, balance, etc) or buy something a little lighter so there is room for customization.

3. The PB10 Light is an okay racquet, but personally I found the Radical to play much better. The 10 was a bit too light. However, if you're looking to customize it, then there's is quite a bit of potential there.
Thanks. I am going to try this racquet too. I'll have to bring lead tape though. :)

LPShanet
09-02-2009, 09:32 PM
Good to know about the weight and string protection. Yikes! A lot of the time I string my own racquets.

Well, if you've never strung the cap grommets before, it can take a little learning curve. Basically, you just allow the tension to snap the strings into the grommet channel. Don't try to spread or open them at all. As the cap set wears in, the snap happens a little more easily with successive string jobs. You'll get the hang of it, but it's definitely not the smoothest setup to string.

LPShanet
09-02-2009, 09:34 PM
removed due to double post. sorry.

LPShanet
09-02-2009, 09:36 PM
Yes, it was strung, but it was a different grip size. The demo I have is 4 3/8 and the one I held at SA was a 4 1/4.

It's worth noting that many racquet companies have different specs for frames with difference grip sizes. And in many cases, those specs are proportional to grip size (i.e. the larger the grip, the heavier they make the frame). Not all companies do it, and not on all models, so you have to do some due diligence. So in addition to the usual variation due to quality control, they may even have different spec ranges. Were there any other differences at all cosmetically? Maybe one of our Head experts can weight in on whether there were any different versions created of this frame, but I don't know of any that didn't also have a slightly different name or graphic.

hotseat
09-02-2009, 09:44 PM
liquid metal radical for the win. one of the best bargains on this planet

10s4fun
09-03-2009, 10:54 AM
It's worth noting that many racquet companies have different specs for frames with difference grip sizes. And in many cases, those specs are proportional to grip size (i.e. the larger the grip, the heavier they make the frame). Not all companies do it, and not on all models, so you have to do some due diligence. So in addition to the usual variation due to quality control, they may even have different spec ranges. Were there any other differences at all cosmetically? Maybe one of our Head experts can weight in on whether there were any different versions created of this frame, but I don't know of any that didn't also have a slightly different name or graphic.

Wow. I didn't know this. I think I'm going to have to rule out the LM Radical MP. The demo I have doesn't feel good, I wasn't hitting well with it, and I can't demo the racquet anywhere locally. I keep racquets for a very long time so I'd like to find the racquet I want and buy a few exactly like it.

LPShanet
09-03-2009, 09:06 PM
Wow. I didn't know this. I think I'm going to have to rule out the LM Radical MP. The demo I have doesn't feel good, I wasn't hitting well with it, and I can't demo the racquet anywhere locally. I keep racquets for a very long time so I'd like to find the racquet I want and buy a few exactly like it.

I think your strategy is right, but depending on how fussy/perceptive you are, good luck finding racquets exactly like each other these days. Most companies' tolerances are really wide, and it typically takes a little tweaking and customization to really make your frames match. Either that or you have to get a bunch of them and spec them to see which are closest to each other. That's another reason people sometimes recommend finding a frame that's a few grams lighter than your perfect weight, and customizing your frames to match.

10s4fun
09-04-2009, 08:38 PM
You might look into the Dunlop Aerogel 4d300 tour in that range, too.

Sorry if I didn't respond to this. Yes, I am going to definitely try this racquet too. I've never had a Dunlop but I've heard good things about them.

10s4fun
09-04-2009, 08:41 PM
I think your strategy is right, but depending on how fussy/perceptive you are, good luck finding racquets exactly like each other these days. Most companies' tolerances are really wide, and it typically takes a little tweaking and customization to really make your frames match. Either that or you have to get a bunch of them and spec them to see which are closest to each other. That's another reason people sometimes recommend finding a frame that's a few grams lighter than your perfect weight, and customizing your frames to match.
Thanks! Great advice!

Meaghan
09-05-2009, 12:24 AM
I always find the Radicals feel like a 'lead weight' because they are light with an even balance (my rackets below feel lighter than my Rad). The LM in particular needs customisation, its tinny and unstable and if you have no room to move weight wise id try the i.Radical which IMO is the best version. Its very stable, feels a little stiffer, not as much topspin but very solid. You can get these sometimes on the bay cheap, Id deffo give one a try. In fact its as close to the k98 as any of the others.

You seem already happy with the k98 so why still the searching, or is there still something missing with that racket??

ztennis002
09-05-2009, 05:28 AM
Get the rebel

10s4fun
09-05-2009, 09:37 PM
I always find the Radicals feel like a 'lead weight' because they are light with an even balance (my rackets below feel lighter than my Rad). The LM in particular needs customisation, its tinny and unstable and if you have no room to move weight wise id try the i.Radical which IMO is the best version. Its very stable, feels a little stiffer, not as much topspin but very solid. You can get these sometimes on the bay cheap, Id deffo give one a try. In fact its as close to the k98 as any of the others.

You seem already happy with the k98 so why still the searching, or is there still something missing with that racket??
Yes, I feel like something is missing. It doesn't feel like an extension of my arm. I still think about the racquet. With my past racquets, the racquet never even entered the equation. I am also worried that it is going to bother my arm.

I was given a couple of other racquets to demo; Volkl PB8 and Dunlop Aerogel 4D 500 Tour. Also borrowed a friend's Dunlop mfil 200 tour to try out. The mfil 200 is heavier though so I think it may tire me out after a couple of sets.

10s4fun
09-05-2009, 09:53 PM
I was given a couple of other racquets to demo; Volkl PB8 and Dunlop Aerogel 4D 500 Tour.
These two are also 16 mains, not 18.

Meaghan
09-06-2009, 01:08 AM
Yes, I feel like something is missing. It doesn't feel like an extension of my arm. I still think about the racquet. With my past racquets, the racquet never even entered the equation. I am also worried that it is going to bother my arm.

I think you should try the i.Radical then. I think by what you said of the k98 you'll like this one. Specs below...

http://web.archive.org/web/20040618063002/www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCHEAD-IRAD.html

10s4fun
09-06-2009, 08:07 PM
I think you should try the i.Radical then. I think by what you said of the k98 you'll like this one. Specs below...

http://web.archive.org/web/20040618063002/www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCHEAD-IRAD.html
Thanks! I decided to buy a racquet that I can demo first though. I keep racquets for a very long time so I want to make sure it's right for me before laying out the money.

I hit with the Volkl PB8 and Dunlop Aerogel 4D 500 Tour today and didn't like either of them. They have too much power for me. Not sure why the store gave me them since I said I wanted something comparable to the kblade98, only a little better for my arm.

I also tried my friends Aerogel M-Fil 200 Tour. I played well with it, but (1) I'm not sure if I could handle the weight after a few sets and (2) I wasn't consistently hitting as deep as with the kblade98 (and according to J011y's racquet guide you should be able to consistently hit deep).

I am going to try a few more racquets and if I still don't find one, I will probably just get the kblade98. I hit with it again tonight and felt much better with it. I had more trust in it. :)

Wilson's quality control, however, is bad. I hit with my friend's kblade 98 and it felt much different than the demo I've hit with. It was lighter and more head light. Good thing I have the specs on the demo.

lolitsanasian
09-06-2009, 08:08 PM

Wilson Kblade 98
Head Liquidmetal MP

Try the KBlade 98 AND Tour.

10s4fun
09-07-2009, 10:18 PM
Well took those racquets back and picked up a few more.

I'm comparing everything to the kblade 98 since I like this racquet, but I'm looking for something more arm friendly.

Specs on kblade 98 are:
Weight 11.2oz (317g), SW 331, 3pts HL, Stiffness 67, Beam Width 20, Head Size 98

I now have the following racquets to demo:

Prince Rebel Team 95
Weight 10.7oz (303g), SW 329, 1pt HH, Stiffness 63, Beam Width 20, Head Size 95

Dunlop Aerogel 4D 300 Tour
Weight 11.4oz (324g), SW 318 (this is TW spec, I think it was more like 325), 5pts HL, Stiffness 63, Beam Width 20, Head Size 98

Babolat Pure Storm GT
Weight 11.1oz (316g), SW 327, 1pt HL, Stiffness 63, Beam Width 21, Head Size 98

(1) Do you think I should add some weight to the Rebel or is that racquet
OK being that light? Remember, I'm being protective of my arm.

(2) Dunlop - may be too HL. May bring it down to 2-3pts HL. Where is the best place to add a little lead to Dunlops? At 12 or at 3&9? Want to make sure the racquet has some plow through.

(3) Babolat - I don't think I need to add anything. I think I will either like it or dislike it. It is a 16 main as opposed to the other racquets which are 18 main. I will have to see if it gives me the same control.

The only other racquet I was thinking of demoing is the Volkl PB10 Light. That has a thinner beam though, 19, so I don't know if I will have enough power with that. This racquet is also 5pts HL, but it's only 10.9oz (309g) so I can add a little lead in the head to bring it down a few pts and a little heavier.

Meaghan
09-07-2009, 11:36 PM
I would give the Rebel a go, it is very arm friendly, control orientated.
By the spec I would add a little lead to add plow and bring the HL balance up a couple of points.
I would add 10g under the handle and 5g at 12 ocklock.
The new spec will be:
318g strung, balance 3pts HL, SW 352.
Lots of plow thro and still light enough not to get too tired.
It will also feel a lot more stable and help with depth control.

10s4fun
09-08-2009, 11:39 AM
By the spec I would add a little lead to add plow and bring the HL balance up a couple of points.
The new spec will be:
Sounds good, but won't a SW of 352 be too high for me?

Doesn't Prince allow you to open the butt cap? I don't see any way to open it and I don't want to have to take the whole grip and butt cap off a demo racquet (unless I really have to).

shaysrebelII
09-08-2009, 12:01 PM
If you're open to using lead, I'd give the k6.1 team another try. the k6.1 line is great for doubles, so if that's what you play, it seems like a good bet.

that being said, if you already like the kblade better pre-lead, you may just wanna stick with it and tinker with adding lead there. I'm using the kblade tour right now (WAY different stick, I know) and I'm very impressed, so I understand your appreciation of it. Just try not to expect perfection - given wilson's mind-blowingly terrible quality control, it'll only give you a headache haha. :)

10s4fun
09-08-2009, 07:28 PM
If you're open to using lead, I'd give the k6.1 team another try. the k6.1 line is great for doubles, so if that's what you play, it seems like a good bet.

that being said, if you already like the kblade better pre-lead, you may just wanna stick with it and tinker with adding lead there. I'm using the kblade tour right now (WAY different stick, I know) and I'm very impressed, so I understand your appreciation of it. Just try not to expect perfection - given wilson's mind-blowingly terrible quality control, it'll only give you a headache haha. :)
Thanks. I don't need to add lead to the kblade. It's fine the way it is. I am just looking for something else because of the stiffness and I would like something a little more arm friendly. The kblade has a stiffness of 67.

10s4fun
09-08-2009, 08:03 PM
These are the three racquets I'm going to choose from.

Dunlop Aerogel 4D 300 Tour
Weight 11.4oz (324g), SW 318 (this is TW spec, I think it was more like 325), 5pts HL, Stiffness 63, Beam Width 20, Head Size 98
Added some lead at 12 for plow through. Put 1/4in tape across the top 10 mains, which made this a different racquet. It plays like the kblade98, but with more feel and is much easier on the arm. The lead and vibration dampener brings the racquet weight to 11.6oz (329). This racquet is a very sweet ride. I am concerned though about handling the weight.

kblade 98
Weight 11.2oz (317g), SW 331, 3pts HL, Stiffness 67, Beam Width 20, Head Size 98
Put on a vibration dampener and this racquet is ready to go. No lead tape needed. With vibration dampener this racquet weighs 11.3oz (321g). I'm concerned that this racquet is too stiff and not that arm friendly.

Babolat Pure Storm GT
Weight 11.1oz (316g), SW 327, 1pt HL, Stiffness 63, Beam Width 21, Head Size 98
Put on a vibration dampener and this racquet was ready to go. No lead tape needed. With vibration dampener this racquet weighs 11.2oz (319g). The racquet felt like it had a little too much power, but that could probably be fixed by just stringing a little tighter. The racquet deserves a second look.

What do you suggest?

10s4fun
09-08-2009, 08:11 PM
The new spec will be:
Thanks. I tried this, but the racquet had vibration so I ruled it out.

10s4fun
09-08-2009, 08:16 PM

Thanks. I don't feel I need to add any lead to the kblade so there is nothing to tinker with. I am concerned with the stiffness though. I really don't need more arm issues. I picked up a few different kblades in the store and they all felt different so I know what you mean about Wilson quality control. Yikes!

Aces09
09-08-2009, 08:19 PM
...with an 18 mains, it's better imo to have a 12oz racquet, for stability...
BUT, if you're going for a light stick, K Blade 98 is definitely the best choice.
:-)

I actually advise the [K]6.1 95 18x20 if you like a stiff feel, Dunlop aerogel 4D 200 if you like a slightly flexier feel. They both have the very pure perfect feel that wooden racquets have...

Best of luck with the new racquet!

10s4fun
09-08-2009, 09:03 PM
...with an 18 mains, it's better imo to have a 12oz racquet, for stability...
BUT, if you're going for a light stick, K Blade 98 is definitely the best choice.

I actually advise the [K]6.1 95 18x20 if you like a stiff feel, Dunlop aerogel 4D 200 if you like a slightly flexier feel. They both have the very pure perfect feel that wooden racquets have...

Best of luck with the new racquet!

Thanks! I had tried the k6.1 95, but I think it was the 16x. I loved it, but it was just too heavy for me. After a couple sets it tired me out. I also tried the 4D 200 and it was also too heavy. The 4D 300 Tour has the same feel as the 200, but is a little lighter. It felt and played great. I am just worried that I may not be able to play for a long time though.
I also like the Kblade 98, but it's a stiffer racquet which could equal arm issues and I am just coming back from an arm injury. What to do.. what to do..

120mphBodyServe
09-08-2009, 11:01 PM
Why aren't you trying any Yonex frames???