PDA

View Full Version : pure drive player profiles

Fed Kennedy
08-23-2009, 11:06 PM
I notice the pure drives catch a lot of love and hate in this forum. I've had a demo for about a week (gt version) and it feels a little wierd becuase I am used to more classic racquets. I decided to demo it because I keep reading about how this is an improvement racquet and it might be a good choice for me because I am a middling 4.0 player and I might make my life easier with this thing and get better match results than with my k90s pogmids and whatnot.

Today while practicing I served two breadsticks with it but the confidence and comfort is not 100 percent there. My question to you guys is, (especially you middling 4.0s) is: did you get a bump in results by using this racquet? How old are you and what is your game like? What is your setup? Did you get tennis elbow?

NoNameZ
08-23-2009, 11:14 PM
well for me, I think when i demo'ed this racket, it felt good because I came from a 12+ oz racket, and this being barely over 11, the swing speed really helped my shots.
Its naturally has a lot more power than the mids (K90, POG, etc.) so it does do well for the aggressive game, but I'm more worried about the off center shots. I didn't get to hit with it enough to be able to talk about that part.
I'm currently 17 and mostly a baseliner, and no TE.

Fed Kennedy
08-23-2009, 11:40 PM
Good info. I play regularly with high school players and they all use 100si pd type racquets. I am 31 and am used to 6.1 classics and pogs but I had to see what it was all about. The "nadal cheat code" thread out there also kind of summed up my curiosity. I notice everyone is always talking about the power of the pd but I think it is more like easy depth than power. Power wise my 6.1s will drive the ball harder than a pd but it is way easier to get depth when out of position with the pd. Obviously the jury is still out but keep the replies coming!

NoNameZ
08-23-2009, 11:53 PM
You're definitely right about the power/depth of the PD. That was my mistake in the wrong choice of words. The K90 can easily put more pace on a ball when in the right hands. The Nadal cheat code certainly does make me want to try and hit like that. I actually tried it with your 260, and the code's not for me.

Just wondering, are you using the Pro Staff 6.1 Classic? I have one I'm not using. We can discuss if you'd like (via profile).

BillyIdol
08-24-2009, 12:08 AM
The Nadal Cheat Code is EXACTLY about easy power and depth. Depth is critical. I mean you can get power and depth with other rackets, but it comes more easily with PDR, APDC, POG OS, and Exo3 Graphite 100. More easily equates to consistency. What is the point of playing with a heavy racket? Just to brag that you can?

Sure...I won before but with my Exo Graphite and POG OS with Lux AluPower 1.25 I'm winning easier, and all these balls are spun heavy and deep.

You are on the right track.

John

Fed Kennedy
08-24-2009, 12:28 AM
Cool bro. I need to spend more time with the 100si bubblehead to get comfortable but so far it has been pretty fun. I am more of a tennis fan than a competitive player but I am thinking about doing usta in the future. The classic/pro player racquets give me a nice warm feeling of nostalgia/aesthetic appreciation but perhaps it is time to get real. Time will tell. This will be an interesting week of playtesting.

Fed Kennedy
08-24-2009, 09:48 AM
Anyone tried leather gripping or tailweighting their pure drive?

gunnd5000
08-24-2009, 09:51 AM
Anyone tried leather gripping or tailweighting their pure drive?

me on my gt but not on my 2nd gen had 10grms of lead and a leather grip then took out my lead

NoNameZ
08-24-2009, 09:57 AM
That's one of the things I plan to do when I get one.

gunnd5000: how does it feel compared to stock specs?

gunnd5000
08-24-2009, 10:03 AM
That's one of the things I plan to do when I get one.

gunnd5000: how does it feel compared to stock specs?

my rackets weight was way above the stock when i checked with-out a grip or strings-balance was fine

the 10grms extra in the handle was just too much

prjacobs
08-24-2009, 10:11 AM
I used a Prince Precision Graphite for most of my playing. It has similar power to the K Six One Tour. With added lead, it weighed 12.9 oz. I found that the big difference with lighter, more powerful racquets was that I'd win a lot more points with my serve. (My serve's always been strong and being a lefty helps, but when I see my opponents have much more trouble returning it, I couldn't help notice:) Also, on shots that seems to be past me, I'd be able to play much better defense. I know I'm repeating some of my old posts, but my friends would say, "I thought you were out of the point and then you'd win it on the next shot." It's true, I can't swing out as much as before, but for me, the trade off is worth it.

smoothtennis
08-24-2009, 10:17 AM
I hit with a K90 the past two years, then the ncode sixone 95 (18x20) for four months or so. Then I recently purchased two APDC's after a good demo experience.

I took these sticks straight into competive tournament play - and of course, there were pros and cons immediately evident.

The APDC stock with no mods, clearly lacked the stability of the heavier frames on very heavy serves and attacks to my backhand slice. The slice didn't have the control yet that I am used to.

The topspin off the ground was pretty much instantly evident. I can spin the ball so easily with these frames. I am strung at PHT at 60lbs. Depth is fine. I will say in all honesty, a great many topspin groundies that I mis-hit or didn't hit cleanly, and I could 'feel' going long, dipped in. These rackets are putting a little more action on my shots.

The 'plowthrough' is most certainly not as good as with my K90 - there is no question here for me. I can hit a harder paced shot with my K90 -and my partners agree 100%. But I don't typically hit hard flat shots either.

The APDC frames allow me to hit a MUCH more aggressive 2nd serve with the same swing. I think the racket is just faster though the hitting zone, and it puts significantly more spin on my serve - no doubt about it.

All in All - ? Well I don't know yet. I am modifying the rackets with lead, and 4-6 grams at 3-9 olclock have really helped the slice stability and accuracy. I am experiementing now with different balance points for a more head light feel.

Funny thing. The lighter APDC frame wore me out due to it being balanced a little more head heavy than my K90 this weekend. After 3 hours, I actually had to switch to my K90, which surprisingly felt lighter even though it is clearly the heavier overall racket.

I still have to get used to these things. The Cortex makes these frames VERY comfortable, and I could really get used to these sticks. The spin, honestly, leaves me laughing. I can spin the crap out of the ball with these things. If you like hitting very heavily spun moonballs, geez, look no further than these APDC rackets.

PS. I am playing some 4.5's, and you gotta have some stability here with these guys serves and shots. That is why I am modding the frames.

smoothtennis
08-24-2009, 10:20 AM
I used a Prince Precision Graphite for most of my playing. It has similar power to the K Six One Tour. With added lead, it weighed 12.9 oz. I found that the big difference with lighter, more powerful racquets was that I'd win a lot more points with my serve. (My serve's always been strong and being a lefty helps, but when I see my opponents have much more trouble returning it, I couldn't help notice:) Also, on shots that seems to be past me, I'd be able to play much better defense. I know I'm repeating some of my old posts, but my friends would say, "I thought you were out of the point and then you'd win it on the next shot." It's true, I can't swing out as much as before, but for me, the trade off is worth it.

Hey - well put, and I have had this same experience. The serves and the defense (except slice - I'll fix this) have been better in matchplay. The plowthrough is not the same for sure, unless some of these guys weight their rackets with the Polorized type set up. I haven't tried that yet.

Fed Kennedy
08-24-2009, 01:45 PM
Awesome info. Good to know. Keep it coming. Anyone use gut or soft string in a PD or similar?

NoNameZ
08-24-2009, 01:47 PM
I used a Poly/Syn hybrid Main/Cross respectively @60 lbs I think. Lot's of pop and a bit stiff too.

whereisz
08-24-2009, 02:05 PM
Xcel power here with my PDGT. It's soft and powerful, and TE friendly.

Fed Kennedy
08-24-2009, 06:08 PM
Cool. Seems like 60 is a default tension for a lot of people. I like low tensions in my old schools but perhaps I'll have to bump it up. Anyone out there putting gut in these?

NoNameZ
08-24-2009, 07:29 PM
Gut's too expensive for it's durability, but I'm hoping to slap on a leather grip soon, and I'll let you know how it goes. And I think full set of Syns @ 58 or 60 would create a softer stringbed. I haven't tried on the GT, but it works on the PDR though. Hope it helps.

Fed Kennedy
08-25-2009, 12:04 AM
day two of pure driving (gt): ripping deep groundstrokes with ease. hit a few backhands into the fence. flat serve accuracy is not there. second serves are awesome. decisions, decisions.

TsongaBonga
08-25-2009, 02:52 AM
Does the GT model play anything like the old pure drive team (circa 2004 ish)...
I use these sticks atm and wanted to upgrade to the GT, but not yet convinced...

thanks

dgoran
08-25-2009, 04:17 AM
I just got mine (PDGT) and maybe somebody that currently has PD team can chime in but to me as far as i can remember feels the same as Pure Drive Team but I am not certain as it has been a while since I played with that stick.

Jack & Coke
08-25-2009, 06:45 AM
3rd time out with PDRGT using:

M: Kevlar (ProBlend) @ 55 lbs.
C: MSV 1.10 @ 60 lbs.

Feels great.. no shock or stress on arm
Excellent pocketing.. great for spin
crisp clean feeling - very nice feedback and response, not mushy
low power - excellent for taking huge cuts, best when taking a big fully cut at the ball
not as good for defensive shots - low power on running emergency stabs. left a lot of defensive stabing lobs short compared to my full MSV 1.10 (60lb) set up.

Fed Kennedy
08-25-2009, 01:37 PM
Hows the comfort with that full msv 1.10 setup?

Jack & Coke
08-25-2009, 01:50 PM
GREAT! I really like the full MSV 1.10 setup. String it at 60lbs. and then step on the string bed for about 30 seconds (both sides) to settle them in.

It's a keeper for me that I enjoyed.

Fed Kennedy
08-25-2009, 02:40 PM
Does anyone know if pure drives all have interchangeable grommets?

dantesinferno18
08-25-2009, 03:44 PM
i have two pdr with cortex to be honest it took me about a week to get used to it but boy was it it worth it this is my first summer with it and the lowestest i have gotten in a tournament this year is 3rd place. I love my pure drives.

Fed Kennedy
08-25-2009, 04:25 PM
Wow. Awesome results, congrats. What did you use before and what age/ level are you playing at?

LaverAtor
08-25-2009, 06:41 PM
Hello all. I've been using a Babolat Pure Drive for about 4 years now and am potentially looking to make a switch. I'm a baseline player with a big serve. I like to use a lot of spin on my backhand and power through with my forehand. was wondering if you guys had any suggestions for a new racquet, or if you think the Pure Drive is the right fit for me. It was the second racquet I have ever owned, so I haven't done much experimenting.

Fed Kennedy
08-25-2009, 08:29 PM
Why do you want to switch laverator? Btw I was hitting the PD gt against the wall today and I was like this thing has no feel. I then rallied for an hour with it and was liking it a little better but still nothing special. Then I played a set with a player that I have NEVER taken a set off and won 6-2. Wtf. Might be a keeper.
Keep the stories coming, they are super interesting to me. Thanks
Fed K

LaverAtor
08-26-2009, 10:36 AM
I just want to know that the racquet is the right fit for my playing style. Also, it seems to be very powerful, and sometimes I tend to have trouble placing the ball, unless I string at higher tensions. Was thinking of possibly migrating over to a stick know for more control. Just wanted to see if anyone had suggestions.

Bubba
08-26-2009, 12:12 PM
Gut's too expensive for it's durability, but I'm hoping to slap on a leather grip soon, and I'll let you know how it goes. And I think full set of Syns @ 58 or 60 would create a softer stringbed. I haven't tried on the GT, but it works on the PDR though. Hope it helps.

Here's my setup (See Sig)... only mod's I make are: Silicone injection in handle and adding leather grip.

Fed Kennedy
08-26-2009, 01:37 PM
Cool. Always wanted to try a silicone handle. How much weight does that add?

dantesinferno18
08-26-2009, 02:33 PM
Wow. Awesome results, congrats. What did you use before and what age/ level are you playing at?
Before i got my PDRs i was using the Prince O3 White i liked it but too much power. I am 16 and i play 2 singles on my high school Varsity team

Fed Kennedy
08-26-2009, 06:55 PM
Such a wide range of people playong with these sticks. It's amazing to me. 3.5 all the way to pro. Anyone have any TE nightmares from PDGT?

Jack & Coke
08-26-2009, 07:33 PM
Nope.. not me.

TE "nightmares" are over exaggerated with the PD on this forum.

Anyone can get TE "nightmares" with any stick with improper technique and physical conditioning.

It's no different than any other stick out there with similar specs.

Fed Kennedy
08-26-2009, 09:42 PM
Man I am so late to the babolat party. This feels like the first time I tried fat skis. Too much fun. I wonder how the GT plays with that new volkl gripper string. Side note: I also like the name GT. It's like a mustang.

NoNameZ
08-26-2009, 09:44 PM
Glad you like it Fed, I on the other hand need to add some weight to it...maybe I should try to get a PDRGT first...

Fed Kennedy
08-26-2009, 09:53 PM
Well it is a little flimsy stock but I wanted to keep a quick feel. I would have gone for the roddick myself but it's almost 12oz right out of the box and with a 100si head 5pts balance could get a bit sluggish. So I am running the regular GT with leather 2 ogs and 4g under the cap. Feels light and solid. Might do a touch of lead at 12.

NoNameZ
08-26-2009, 09:57 PM
that's interesting Fed. I was planning on leather, maybe some lead in the head for stability, and more in the handle to get it more headlight. Too bad I don't have access to silicon for the handle...

Fed Kennedy
08-26-2009, 10:04 PM
Yeah I mean basically I know that 11oz is too light and 12 oz is too heavy if the stick isnt like 8 or 9 pts headlight. So I figured I could get the standard in the neighborhood of 12oz and plus get a better balance. Also (and I know this is stupid) I like the standard pj better!

NoNameZ
08-26-2009, 10:22 PM
haha it's not stupid at all...pj is better on it. btw does anyone know if you can use PDGT lite's grommets on the PDGT standard? i like the white grommets.

smoothtennis
08-28-2009, 08:02 AM
Well it is a little flimsy stock but I wanted to keep a quick feel. I would have gone for the roddick myself but it's almost 12oz right out of the box and with a 100si head 5pts balance could get a bit sluggish. So I am running the regular GT with leather 2 ogs and 4g under the cap. Feels light and solid. Might do a touch of lead at 12.

I bought two APDC's new, and stock, they balanced on my balance board at 2 and 3 pts headlight - not the advertised 5. I used lead to get one of them to 6pts HL, and that made a big difference. You have to check those things unfortunately.

Fed Kennedy
08-29-2009, 08:17 PM
Pretty much addicted to this racquet. It's killing multifilaments (volkl catapult) so fast though. I need a new comfortable durable string setup with some pop. Any thoughts? Is pro hurricane tour comfortable?

Fed Kennedy
08-31-2009, 12:15 AM
Pure drive player profiles:
Igor Andreev
Me
14 year old girls
Andy Roddick
50 year old chinese dudes at the park playing doubles everyday from sunset till 1130pm
Sybille Bammer
Silicon Valley engineers who have never done anything athletic in their life
teenage NADAL
Every damn high school kid out there
Carlos Moya
USTA 3.0 womens doubles league champions
The guy at east river park who looks like hubert keller and plays in rope soled slip ons at 630am (swirly pj, natch)
Kim Clijsters

Did I miss anyone? What are you guys stringing your gts with?

vndesu
08-31-2009, 12:34 AM
i kno this is weird but does any1 here prefer the old pure drive not the swirly but the one after that?
i like the pdr and the pdgt but i just like the feel of the older model

Fed Kennedy
08-31-2009, 12:44 AM
great question! I just bought a used pd team and I am anxious to compare...

Fed Kennedy
08-31-2009, 12:45 AM
ps Isnt the swirly the same racquet as the pd team?

Fed Kennedy
09-02-2009, 01:07 AM
I played sans cortex today and no question it serves bigger

Kirko
09-02-2009, 01:39 AM
with lead at twelve o'clock to make it 12 oz. strung with babolat fine play @ 66 lbs. like you Fed I really wanted to boost my game so I demoed it for a month and was really jazzed with the results. the power & spin is kinda addictive !

Fed Kennedy
09-02-2009, 02:01 AM
It's wierd. I can't say I'm a huge fan of the way it looks or feels. I'm a snob about that kind of thing normally. But whatever. I won 3 and 3 against this dude I was sure was going to cream me in warmups. Two weeks into this vision quest I'm pretty amazed.
How much lead do you put at 12 and how do you configure it (like how long are the strips) I am playing the regular version so I feel I have some wiggle room to add lead.

Kirko
09-02-2009, 02:17 AM
It's wierd. I can't say I'm a huge fan of the way it looks or feels. I'm a snob about that kind of thing normally. But whatever. I won 3 and 3 against this dude I was sure was going to cream me in warmups. Two weeks into this vision quest I'm pretty amazed.
How much lead do you put at 12 and how do you configure it (like how long are the strips) I am playing the regular version so I feel I have some wiggle room to add lead.

I've used lead before on other rackets always at 2 & 10 o'clock or sometimes 3 & 9 o'clock, but with the PDR I gambled and put it twelve and was rewarded by adding it there, right away it swung heavier and turned up the "volume" on power spin and stability. gotta be a reason its so popular with every level in tennis. I play from the backcourt and finally have a frame not too light or too heavy. big thing is my confidence with it.

dgoran
09-02-2009, 04:22 AM
So what are your impressions so far of your PD Team besides the serve? Did you get a chance to hit side by side?

Fed Kennedy
09-02-2009, 09:50 AM
Only one session so far without cortex. My feelings were: more control/pop on serve. More feel on approach shots and better bite on slice. Less comfortable/forgiving from the backcourt. Firmer feel on contact. I am going to mod them the same way and keep comparing.

Fed Kennedy
09-02-2009, 03:48 PM
Hey what is the purpose of the numbered lines at 3 and 9 on the swirlys?