PDA

View Full Version : Are multifilaments more popular that polys in the USA?

THESEXPISTOL
08-23-2009, 11:24 PM
I read in an article that multifilaments are more popular in the USA that polys..
Is this true?

P.S. somebody knows a great multifilament reel for use in a full stringjob?

adams_1
08-24-2009, 12:59 AM
This would not at all surprise me.

The majority of the population don't use polys, just as they don't use 15oz racquets. This forum attracts a different kind of person to your average recreational player.

A lot of racquets come pre-strung with them, too.

Steve Huff
08-24-2009, 04:51 AM
I'd say synthetic guts and nylons are more popular than poly's, but I wouldn't say multi's were. They use these because that is what comes strung in pre-strung rackets. Poly's have grown a lot though, and there is a pretty large group of people that use whatever the pro's use, so consequently, a lot of Pro Hurricane and Luxilon are being used. 5 -8 years ago, Wilson made a big push with NXT and Sensation, and Gamma really pushed their Live Wire, but I don't think many other multi's have sold as well. Prince and Babolat pushed their multi's for a while, but they were late to the marketing game and didn't get that much attention.

Genesys
08-24-2009, 05:16 AM
The problem is that multis are much more powerfull than polys...

meowmix
08-24-2009, 05:38 AM
^For the average player, that's not exactly a problem.

As for a good multifilament reel, maxim touch comes to mind very readily.

Kick Serve 14
08-24-2009, 06:03 AM
ehhh, some might say so, where i play a lot of people use a hybrid of a poly and a multi, so i would say they are popular... as for a reel, rip perfect comtrol is good...

BreakPoint
08-24-2009, 01:26 PM
The problem is that multis are much more powerfull than polys...
"Problem"? Why is that a problem? One of the primary reasons I use multis is because I want a more powerful stringbed. Polys feel dead and have no power, IMHO. I'd rather use powerful strings than a powerful frame as lower powered frames are easier on the arm, as are less stiff and more powerful strings.

diredesire
08-24-2009, 10:39 PM
I think this board has a very disproportionate amount of poly users, or at least, poly supporters ;)

In the local pro shops I've been to, they always push straight syn gut over polys.

dancraig
08-24-2009, 10:49 PM
In the local pro shops I've been to, they always push straight syn gut over polys.

Much easier to string. :rolleyes:

diredesire
08-25-2009, 09:55 AM

I always saw it as: Much easier to break ;)

When I was a junior, i was breaking strings in about 1.5 weeks, and I asked them for something more durable, and they gave me a 15L topspin string...

It was about then I started stringing for myself...

BreakPoint
08-25-2009, 10:42 AM
Or that they don't want a customer to ruin their arm using poly and stop playing tennis, thereby losing all future business from the customer for racquets, strings, stringjobs, shoes, clothes, balls, bags, etc. :neutral:

stanfordtennis alum
08-25-2009, 10:48 AM
yes, i would say that multifillaments and syn guts are much more popular than polys..

pmerk34
08-26-2009, 06:17 AM
"Problem"? Why is that a problem? One of the primary reasons I use multis is because I want a more powerful stringbed. Polys feel dead and have no power, IMHO. I'd rather use powerful strings than a powerful frame as lower powered frames are easier on the arm, as are less stiff and more powerful strings.

Break,

Right now I use Sonic Pro which is possibly the softest poly out there. It doesn't bother my arm. Any reco's on a good multifilament that will help me with spin and power? I'm less concerned with control as I play with pretty flexible racquets.

BreakPoint
08-26-2009, 01:07 PM
Break,

Right now I use Sonic Pro which is possibly the softest poly out there. It doesn't bother my arm. Any reco's on a good multifilament that will help me with spin and power? I'm less concerned with control as I play with pretty flexible racquets.
For the price, I like Prince Synthetic Gut Multifilament the best. It's only $7.50 and plays with a lot of power and feel. :)

lilxjohnyy
08-26-2009, 02:56 PM
maxim touch is a great multifilament

mikeler
08-27-2009, 06:11 AM
For the price, I like Prince Synthetic Gut Multifilament the best. It's only $7.50 and plays with a lot of power and feel. :)

How is the durability?

pmerk34
08-27-2009, 06:18 AM
How is the durability?

Not good from what I recall. It notches and moves around. But it is very inexpensive.

I may be wrong on the move around part....

bad_call
08-27-2009, 06:25 AM
How is the durability?

poor durability. wouldn't hold up in your racquets.