PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Hybrid String Please :)

protel
08-24-2009, 04:18 AM
Hi Guys,

I'm new to this forum as well as to Tennis, just started to play tennis 8 months ago.

I can see a lot of improvement in terms of physical, techniques and knowledge.

What I'm about to ask to all of you who have better knowledge than I do is related to string hybrid. I'm going to conduct some experiments and see which one that I like the most.

FYI, I'm using Dunlop Aerogel 300 and currently strung with Babolat Hurricane Pro Tour 17L (main) @62 - Head RIP Control 16L (cross) @60.

In addition, Wilson K Six Two with RIP Control @58

And I'm thinking of having another hybrid as follows

1. Signum Pro Plasma HEXtreme 1.25mm (main) @55 - Head C3 Rocket 1.31 mm (cross) @57
2. Luxilon ALU Poweb Big Banger 16L (main) @55 - Head RIP Control 16L (cross) @57
3. Pro Supex Big Ace 17L (main) @55 - Tecnifibre Multifeel 16L (cross) @57

I'm not sure about the tension combination between these hybrids. I think I prefer some combination that provides arm-friendly, control and power.

Any suggestions are welcome and will be appreciated!

1hbhBUX
08-24-2009, 04:44 AM
Are those hybrid setups for the Wilson frame? They would be a little low for your Dunlop racquet unless you need a lot of power.

protel
08-24-2009, 05:00 AM
Are those hybrid setups for the Wilson frame? They would be a little low for your Dunlop racquet unless you need a lot of power.

Hi, thanks for your reply.

Thats actually for both racquet, I asked one of the official stringer at australian open 2008 and he said it's fine if it's below recommended string tension, just not above.

I'm not actually worry about my power, just trying to follow the recommended string for those main string, they say should make it 10% less

1hbhBUX
08-24-2009, 05:09 AM
There's actually a big difference between the two frames. The recommended tension on the Dunlop is higher, plus it's a larger head size. If you string the two of them the same, the Dunlop will be a lot more powerful than the Wilson. I'd add a couple of pounds to the tension on the Dunlop if it were me.

protel
08-24-2009, 05:16 AM
There's actually a big difference between the two frames. The recommended tension on the Dunlop is higher, plus it's a larger head size. If you string the two of them the same, the Dunlop will be a lot more powerful than the Wilson. I'd add a couple of pounds to the tension on the Dunlop if it were me.

the wilson k six two head is large than dunlop ae300, by the way what do you think about that string combination?

regarding the tension if i add a couple of pounds on main and string will i get arm problems?

thanks!!

1hbhBUX
08-24-2009, 06:48 AM
You're right, my apologies. The six-two is a 100, and actually has a similar recommended tension range to the Dunlop. Your string setup should be pretty consistent between the two then.

1hbhBUX
08-24-2009, 06:50 AM
When I started playing again a few years back, I started with an M-Fil 300. You shouldn't have any arm problems, especially with that lower string tension. It's a really comfortable frame with good flex.

murrmanfan13
08-24-2009, 11:44 AM
u might want to try x-1 biphase as a cross at 60. it might seem a little pricey, and if thats the case, stick with pro supex maxim touch, and AMAZING string for the price. i for one, along with many customers have used it and never looked back. if you love the x-1, which i think you will, try it with all of the mains you were thinking of. personally i like it with kirschbaum pro line II and luxilon rough, but its also nice with SPPP and PHT. hope that helped.

protel
08-24-2009, 03:46 PM
Thanks so much for all of you to reply to my thread.

I've bought all of the strings that I mentioned above before I posted this thread, again to have my little experiment.

I will try the x-1 biphase as cross later and thanks for that suggestion. Tennis has really got into my mind at the moment, the ability to not just playing but learning something else is just great.

I'm sorry I forgot to mention that I've come from badminton background so I still have the bad habit of using my wrist when I hit the ball.

And yes, my wrist got injured because of that, I'm currently taking rest from tennis as my GP suggested me to do so. Will wait for the ultrasound result to come out, and from there I can know how long do I need to rest for.

By the way, do you guys prefer to have higher tension on main or cross?

protel
08-25-2009, 10:46 AM
anyone else would like to share if they are using one of these strings?

:)

murrmanfan13
08-25-2009, 11:06 AM
i prefer it on the cross, i think i heard somewhere that the higher on the cross the higher your sweet spot will be, which is good. also if your cross is tighter, it shouldnt saw into the mains as much, as it will just stay in one place. some people think the mains should be higher cuz the strings are longer in the mains, but i think cross is more commonly used

protel
08-26-2009, 04:34 AM
i prefer it on the cross, i think i heard somewhere that the higher on the cross the higher your sweet spot will be, which is good. also if your cross is tighter, it shouldnt saw into the mains as much, as it will just stay in one place. some people think the mains should be higher cuz the strings are longer in the mains, but i think cross is more commonly used

Yup, I would love to try that (cross tension higher than main).

This time I will try to have tension lower than 60 for both

Thanks goes to all people who have contributed.