PDA

View Full Version : do u guys think oversize racquets will disappear in time?

adista4
08-24-2009, 05:42 AM
I've had this question since Andre retired from the tour...And I still believe he is the reason why these frames still exist on the market. I can't play midsize frames...the OS frames helped me put a lot more on my groundstrokes, I struggled with the serve in the beginning and I had to switch from an one-handed backhand to a two-handed one. I would have a huge problem if they stopped making OS frames...

adista4
08-24-2009, 05:46 AM
oh and I forgot to mention: not tweener frames, but player frames like the radicals and POG

mooimabear
08-24-2009, 05:48 AM
to be honest, i don't think they will!
i mean, from what i've been seeing, the oversize racquets headsize have been increasing to over 110+!
example: Babolat Drive Z 118 Racquets 2009
flippen 118 headsize! that's just ridiculous.

martini1
08-24-2009, 07:17 AM
Player frames' market share is very very small. Most stores are more than happy to stock more OS frames that everybody can use. I agree that won't be many new OS + heavy + more flex rackets in the future.

Wizard of id
08-24-2009, 07:25 AM
There'll just be midplus creep to gradually larger sizes.

In a few years the player's midpluses will be nearer 105 than 98, and current player's OS's like the POG and Radicals are 107 or so, so not much difference, if any, there.

AndrewD
08-24-2009, 07:31 AM
There'll just be midplus creep to gradually larger sizes.

In a few years the player's midpluses will be nearer 105 than 98, and current player's OS's like the POG and Radicals are 107 or so, so not much difference, if any, there.

Agree regarding the size creep but I don't believe those racquets will be what the OP refers to as 'player's frames'. I think you'll end up with racquets similar to the Prince 03 Red (stiff, light, not a solid hit) but not the POG OS (heavy, some flex, definitely a solid hit).

Wizard of id
08-24-2009, 07:42 AM
Agree regarding the size creep but I don't believe those racquets will be what the OP refers to as 'player's frames'. I think you'll end up with racquets similar to the Prince 03 Red (stiff, light, not a solid hit) but not the POG OS (heavy, some flex, definitely a solid hit).

Agree with that, but what we consider a "player's frame" today was probably considered a granny stick 30 years ago.

It's only a player's frame if top players use it, and the sizes they use will also likely creep up. Who uses the famed ProStaff's 85 sq inch anymore? Does anyone other than Federer even use 90? 95-100 is the new norm.

About flex, well, it depends. Lots of people want flexy stuff even now, and let's hope that a market for that remains.

PS: I use a POG OS and love it, and am probably guilty of a little wishful thinking here.

mad_dr
08-24-2009, 08:29 AM
Well, as long as WTA stand, I think OS frames will have some use...

tennisegg
08-24-2009, 08:46 AM
Nope they won't disappear, the occasional for-fun player in their 50's probably won't be getting a mid size stick weighing over 12 oz :lol: